The Henderson's business includes 2 vegetarian restaurants, a shop and deli, and art gallery. The bistro serves contemporary vegetarian cuisine, wherever possible using locally-sourced, seasonal and organic ingredients. Juices, beer and wine, snacks, meals, and desserts. Short walk from main train station, north of Princes Street. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Scottish, Western, Beer/Wine, Catering

First Review by onejamie
JonJon
JonJon

Several vegan options in a trendy veg' restaurant

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

My first try here was on evening without any reservation and, of course, the restaurant was completely full and I didn't have the opportunity to eat. But I've been successful for lunch yesterday! (Even for lunch, I recommend to book a table since the place is small and famous.)

I took the "awesomely vegan" nachos as a starter and it was delicious. The guacamole was creamy, the sauce was spicy and tasty. My main dish was the vegan haggis which, I think, was my preferred dish here. It seems small but is finally correct in terms of size and its taste was great! Very balanced with the sauce. I was very hungry that day so I ordered a second main dish that was the "thai nut" vegan burger with extra caramelised onions. The bread and the side vegetables were good but I find the steak a bit dry, and there was only a little vegan mayo with it. It definitely deserves more sauce and being more soft. As a drink, I took the organic pear cider which is suitable for vegans.

I paid 26 pounds for this lunch which is a bit pricey but not unfair since I was completely full after. Otherwise, the place is very cute and the staff really friendly.

Pros: numerous vegan options, organic and seasonable, friendly staff, nice place
Cons: burgers lack sauces, a little pricey
Indy Fab
Indy Fab

First visit

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

Called in for lunch on a Sunday when we were in the City with some time to spare. Lucky to get a table as others arriving later were turned away. Friendly service, good food and reasonable prices

Pros: Location, Food quality, Service
Cons: Space limited
Nightshade
Nightshade

lovely vegan / gluten free good.

5 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

Nice bistro. Staff friendly and welcoming.

Vegan and gluten free when requested.

First time we had been and we loved it. A relaxed casual atmosphere, with a fantastic menu.

The food was delicious! I wish I could cook that well. Good sizes. The lemon drizzle cake is to die for.

I will definitely be going their again.

craigmc
craigmc

SLIGHTLY LACKING

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2014

Very much the same as the shop next door, except seating! the seating are can be a bit tight, and reserve if you are there a weekend evening as its small.
Good selection, and always feels very healthy. Traditional veggie menu, a taste of many regions, a master of none. Nice staff and nice atmosphere. Although the food is okay, and it does feel healthy, it always seems a bit lacking in taste sometimes, it is wort a visit.
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 11, 2008

Pros: healthy, staff, selection
Cons: not tasty enough.
FabianaMi
FabianaMi

Great food, smallish portions

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2014

The food here was lovely, the portions were a little on the small side for the price but I would certainly go back.
Staff were lovely

Pros: Great selection, Staff, Great desserts
Cons: Portion size
sally14
sally14
  • non-vegetarian

Looking forward to lunch

3 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

I am no longer a vegetarian but used to love eating at Hendersons and decided to try it again recently but although the food looked great it was rather expensive and portions we were given were tiny when others around the restaurant appeared double in size. Very inconsistent across diners. I could not eat the soups on offer, lentil or mushroom as allergic to both - asked for sweet potato soup which was on offer in the Hendersons deli shop upstairs but they refused to provide. Decided not to eat just watched my husband eat his. Disappointed.

Pros: fresh healthy food, informal eating, quick to serve
Cons: can be expensive, portions vary considerably , shabby decor needs updated
Helster91
Helster91

Not as good as expected

3 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

Considering I'd read fantastic reviews and an article which stated it being one of the, if not THE, best vegan restaurant in Edinburgh, I was disappointed.
The selection was not huge, and the haggis I had was over-spiced and salty. I also thought it needed some veg on the side. It was fairly pricey for what I got, too, I thought. The atmosphere also seemed rushed, and I felt the food was just slopped onto my plate without much care.
On the plus side, the chocolate cake I had was totally delicious and decadent - you got a huge slice plus soy cream too!

Pros: Fully Vegetarian/Vegan, Fair selection of food, Great cake!
Cons: A tad expensive, Food quality not excellent, Average atmosphere & decor
riccole
riccole

Gluten Free As Well

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

Had a lovely meal here which good service, will definitely go back soon.

Pros: Vegan, Gluten Free
SilviaStierli
SilviaStierli

Yummy vegetarian and vegan dishes

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

I went to Henderson's for the first time last week and I was surprised. The prices are not high at all (about 10£ for dinner), everything is organic, they cook seasonal food and at least the dish I had was just incredibly good! They offer only about 6 different dishes every day, but this is positive because they need to do this if they want to cook fresh ;) THe choice is still big enough and there is something for everyone. I had vegan Crepes, with veg fillings and a wonderful creamy sauce!
It is very nice inside and I fellt comfy just after we arrived. A place with a lot of character :)

Pros: Seasonal, Delicious and interesting vegan dishes, Friendly staff
Cons: No place to sit outside
ColetteyBetty
ColetteyBetty

Great place to eat

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

I've been to Henderson's a few times both as a vegetarian and after I made the transition to vegan. I would recommend it for both vegetarians and vegans. There are always at least a couple of options for vegans, including desserts.

David the non vegan
David the non vegan
  • non-vegetarian

Food glorious food

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2013

We went to the Bistro a couple of weeks ago without knowing its reputation. We've always enjoyed good vegetarian food Hendersons didn't disappoint us. I had the most fantastic Mushroom and Jerusalem Artichoke soup. My partner had the chilli bean mezze which was lovely too. We bumped into some friends who were also visiting Edinburgh and recommended it to them. They did and said it was great too. The Bistro staff were welcoming and helpful and I'd recommend a visit.

imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Very tasty vegan food

5 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2013

I came here over Christmas/New Year and had a wonderful meal. I had the Mezze which was very tasty and filling. I love the quality of the food and the variety of vegan options, as well as how clearly everything is marked on the menu.

Pros: Good quality food, Lots of vegan options
brit-brit
brit-brit

Judge it yourself

2 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

I visited here with a group of friends following recommendations both online and in person. Out of the 8 people that I visited with no one was blown away. Granted the food was tasty but the welcome by the staff and environment was a let down that dampened the experience. Sadly I wouldn't venture back in a hurry.

I think with some improvements it could be good however and I hope that happens.

Pros: Tasty food, Value, location
Cons: cleanliness, welcome from staff, vibe
  • jo_anna jo_anna

I totally agree.

We weren't given a happy "hello" when we first walked into the bistro downstairs looking for the restaurant whose entrance is around the corner.

After journeying upstairs, the waitress who enjoys staring you down, joked that I should have my photo on the wall for being a 20-year vegetarian/vegan when she asked if I had an allergy when I specified vegan over vegetarian food.

Too, my non-veggie husband had the Hungarian burger and left hungry looking for another place to eat. He wanted more of a main course, not filling up on desserts.

Food was just OK. Won't be back.

compassionatecook
compassionatecook

A nicer, sit-down, cafe experience

4 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2012

Each of Henderson's many locations is different. The Bistro is definitely more of a nicer, sit-down, cafe experience. The service both times we were there was OK, which is what I so often find in vegetarian and vegan restaurants: sub-par compared to non-vegan restaurants. One of the things Henderson's is known for is their vegan haggis (with clapshot on top and a wine gravy below), which was fantastic! Better service would have made it a great experience.

Pros: vegan haggis
Cons: service OK
kasia
kasia

Lovely place

4 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

A wonderful friendly place with great vegan options, I tried lovely noodles with tofu and mezze with falafel which were both great.

Pros: good choice, cheap, cosy
Tara HD
Tara HD

Good food, reasonably priced

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

We went there for lunch and had a good and filling meal for a reasonable price. They had several vegan options in their rather small menu. Service was very nice. The only drawback was that the place is very small and I found it rather crowded.

Pros: good food, reasonable prices
Cons: small/crowded
hack_man
hack_man

Living on Reputation

2 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

A nicely located gastro-bistro type place just round the corner but physically linked to the main Hendersons emporiums on Hanover Street. This is the posh 'dining' arm of the brand and it does it quite well. On our first visit in 2007 we had a stylish lunch consisting of mezze and tapas as it was too early for main courses. The vegan options were clearly marked and abundant and overall the experience was decent. Our 2nd visit on 30 July 2012 was disappointing due to staff with delusions of granduer, overpriced expensive bland food and a mandatory 10% service charge. The place is also a bit run down and the toilets haven't been touched up for years. With places like David Bann and Kalpna as well as other excellent veg friendly establishments around it's difficult to justify ever coming back here again. In fact we wont be.

Pros: location
Cons: staff, bland food , mandatory service charge
Caryne
Caryne

Great food, good vegan choices, reasonably priced.

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

We went here for Sunday lunch and were both delighted with our choices. There were several options for vegans and I have a tasty curry followed by a delicious cherry pie and soya cream, my vegetarian husband had a quiche which he said was very tasty. This isn't 'fine dining' but good, honest, veggie food at a good price. Recommended.

Pros: Good vegan options, Reaqsonably priced
beenie
beenie

Nice place, good food

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

Nice relaxed atmosphere with a good selection of foods at decent prices. Friendly staff and comfortable seating. What more do you want : )

Pros: good food, decent prices, nice atmosphere
ShJohns
ShJohns

Great Food

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2012

This is an excellent restaurant for veggies and vegans. The food was well presented and tasty, good sized portions and filling. Perfect for a post race lunch. I would recommend eating at Henderson's Bistro.

katymarshall
katymarshall

Delicious and affordable

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2011

I love it here! Lots of yummy food and for a really good price. After 3pm they do discount sandwiches too!

Pros: good value, healthy
clare pearson
clare pearson

Contemporary vegetarian cuisine?

2 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2011

I have eaten in many vegetarian/vegan establishments and never have I been more disappointed than I am with Henderson's. There is nothing contemporary about their menu. It harkens back to the days of Moosewood Restaurant. Who wants to return to that? Over-cooked, under-flavoured over-priced 70's cuisine. Sloppy salads, dry entrees, boring desserts. For the same price you can have a five star meal at Candle 79 in New York City. Stick to places like the Mosque Kitchen, The Empire Cafe, Jordan Valley. Save your money and enjoy better food.

Jaine
Jaine

Enjoyable visit

3 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

Visited on a Sunday evening, and Henderson's was busy, but the service was prompt and really friendly.
About a third of the menu was suitable for vegans. We both opted for a chunky veg soup with bread to start. It was fresh and tasty.
For mains, we both had home made haggis, root veg mash and onion gravy. The food was good and filling, although the haggis could've used a bit more flavour.
We were too full for dessert, but the cakes we saw going past looked great. This was simple, nice food that felt like value for money, and we'd deff come back again.

Pros: Good food., Excellent service., Nice atmosphere.
Alyson
Alyson

Pretty good all round

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2011

Update - Review of the Restaurant for 24th June (the downstairs bit below the shop). Ate here during a long change of train connections. There were two hot main vegan options (bean chilli, or the haggis & clapshot), and only 1 of 4 of the hot light lunches that were vegan. About half the salads were vegan. As it was early-ish I went for a 3-salad option and they were all nice, and, a dessert (choice of cherry pie, or a raspberry, rhubarb, ginger cakey-thing which was worth leaving room for). Shame none of the 'light savouries' eg the pizza, potato croquette and something else, weren't vegan. I think both soups were vegan.
Agree with the other recent review that Hendersons food is nice, but often it's things I could do myself. Service was just right.

May
Ate at the Bistro on our first night in Edinburgh and wasn't disappointed. Reasonable choice of vegan dishes, although only one vegan dessert (a cherry pie.) Learned that 'clapshot' is mashed tatties & neaps (potatoes and turnips/swedes). Service was attentive and friendly and cosy feel to the small bistro. Nothing 'out of this world' about the food or the place but a good place to go none the less.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 28, 2011

Pros: Tasty, average prices
Cons: few vegan desserts
natz
natz

Disappointing for vegans.

3 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

This is a review for the restaurant not bistro as no separate entry. Of the dozen or so main courses on offer only 2 marked vegan - both were veg with white rice (one in balti sauce, one in satay sauce). So no complex carbs (would at least expect wholemeal rice in a healthy eating place) and no protein at all (no tofu, seitan, or even beans or nuts). Waitress also suggested they could do the risotto with peas in a blue cheese sauce as vegan by not adding the sauce. So that's another plate of rice and veg on offer then! Very poor. Veggie had the lasagne which was good but again most pubs do a veggie lasagne so why wouldn't Hendersons be more creative? Desserts were the same story - great range for veggies (the banoffee pie was excellent) but only one for vegans - a cherry pie which again you can easily make at home and was on offer several days in a row. Hendersons needs to up its game for vegans, particularly with the amazing choice in Glasgow at Mono/Stereo/78 - they just need to review their menus and come up with some variety. Henderson's biggest competition is places such as the amazing Indian Cavalry Club (with a vast array of veggie/vegan dishes) and the good Thai restaurants in the city. Whilst the food was well presented some thought needs to go into delivering the healthy eating message with more vegan options and less reliance on cheese for the veggie options.

Pros: portions good size, cheap, good wine list
Cons: lack of vegan choice, not overly healthy as claimed, waiting staff not that friendly
BlokefromBristol
BlokefromBristol

Well worth a visit

4 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2011

We visited Henderson's Bistro early on a Friday evening and found the restaurant about half full. The vibe and decor are cafe style and there is a relaxed feel about the place. We decided to share the mezze for starters, which comes with a choice of two pates. We choose the baba ganoush and hummus both of which were served in deep pots, so there was plenty to go around for two people. Everything else in the mezze was very tasty including the warm falafels, although the bread that came with it was a bit disappointing.
For mains I chose the vegetarian haggis with clapshot and my partner chose the quiche. The haggis itself was spicy which personally I like. It was also quite filling but the clapshot was not anything special. There were no complaints from the other side of the table, so I assume the quiche was pretty good as well.
For dessert we shared the 3 cakes with chocolate fondue, which again was very nice if you have a sweet tooth. The choice of alcohol was impressive as well, especially the Scottish bottled stout and the service was very good as well. The total cost for a mezze, bread, two mains, one dessert and three drinks came to under £40, so I think good value overall.

Pros: Good choice of food, Good service, Nice vibe
Cons: Toliets need updating
dribsndrabs
dribsndrabs

Great vibe but watch out for the Parmesan

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2010

Visited vegetarian Henderson's after spotting it in a tourist brochure whilst holidaying in Edinburgh. Henderson's consists of a shop (selling drinks, bread, patisseries and some convenience food), bistro, and restaurant; it was the latter my partner and I visited in the evening. There is also an art gallery around the back but this wasn't open in the evening we visited. Henderson's is conveniently located, about 2 mins walk from Princes Street.

The restaurant is a buffet style - there are set dishes and hot plate options for mains and desserts on offer (and a combination deal if you go for 2 courses). You queue up, make your order, grab your drinks (including vege alcohol!!) and take your place. The menu is fairly varied (and generally healthy...why don't vege places provide chips?) however, we spotted the inclusion of parmesan which traiditionally is not vegetarian as it's made with animal rennet (we did ask the chef if they were using vegetarian hard fat cheese but alas he didn't know).

Henderson's appears to offer music on most nights. On a Saturday night, we were entertained by Stewart the guitarist who played good music although, for the size of the dining area, the speakers were a tad loud so we couldn't hear each other's conversation.

I think we paid approx £30 for 2 courses and a glass of alchohol each. All in all, not bad and definitely worth a visit when you're in Edinburgh.

Pros: Vegetarian (aside from the Parmesan!), Price, Music
Cons: Parmesan alternative please
LeedsVeggie
LeedsVeggie

Amazing !!!

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2010

Hendersons has quite a relaxed feel but the food is really good. My friend who isnt a vegetarian also really rates this place. I prefer the bistro to the bigger restraunt downstairs but both offer a good selection.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere
Iheartukulele
Iheartukulele

Great place to spend on a cold day..:D

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2009

This is a great place! I don't understand some people...I have been to loads of vegan/vegetarian places around the world, and sometimes I am baffled by people's strange reviews on this website! This place is a lovely restaurant. Yes it has limited tables, so book in advance. I had the Haggis, which was absolutely wonderful. A huge portion topped with potatoes, and surrounded by a warm delicious gravy. The perfect warm meal on a cold autumn afternoon. The place was a bit too warm, I had to take off all my layers, but it's better than the alternative. The meal came quick, and the server was friendly. The meal was adorned with fresh cranberries and a fresh FIG!! Something I had never tried before but was very pleased with. After I had an espresso and an order of vegan ice cream. I also had a sparkling orange juice with my meal and it was around 15 pounds for everything, which I think is reasonable. The only beef, no pun intended, I had was with the group of obnoxious Evangelicists loudly discussing religion at the table beside me. But, overall it's a great place. Try it!

Pros: Great Presentation, Great Food, Fast Service
Cons: Limited Tables, Temperature Warm
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

reservations might be wise at night!

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2009

We had no idea this was 3 separate eating places. In the front is a quick shop with tons of fun vegan sandwiches ready to go, which are key if you're taking a day trip on a mini bus from Edinburgh, underground is a Salad Table and the Bistro is on the end! The Bistro is even open until 12am during festival! They have vegan ice cream and the burger is fantastic (but gas producing!)

Englishjef
Englishjef

Henderson's Bistro, Edinburgh

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2009

We enjoyed a lovely Sunday lunch on a wet and windy January day. The veggie haggis dish was excellent - so much flavour. The mezze dish was very good too but let down by a hummus lacking in flavour. Staff were friendly and attentive, and the waitress was apologetic when we realised the house wine wasn't that advertised in the menu. Great food, good ambiaece and nice people.

Pros: Veggie haggis, Friendly staff, Nice room
Cons: Flavourless hummus!
Guest
Guest

what a gem!

4 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2008

i'm studying abroad here for the semester, and my parents just got into town to visit me. so far i'd only been to the veg restaurants around the unoversity (susie's, the forest, kalpna), but i decided to try henderson's last night with my mom and dad, and i'm so glad i did! i wish i had discovered it before the end of my semester! we got the veg haggis/clapshot, an eggplant/sweet potato/smoked tofu dish with cous cous, and another curry-like vegetable dish, and just shared them all among the three of us! i think the haggis may have been the best, but it was all quite good! also, they do a great job of labeling everything on the menu as vegan, or can be made vegan, gluten-free, etc. for dessert, we shared the cherry pie with soy ice cream, which was good, but not amazing. i was just happy to have vegan dessert in a restaurant though so i didn't care! they also have chocolate fondue, which can be ordered vegan, so next time i go (which i definitely will), i'll probably try that! go to henderson's! now! prices pretty good too...

maryb
maryb

delicious!!

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2008

we loved henderson's! had dinner there, and the portions we so huge, i don't think i've ever been more full! lots to choose from, great atmosphere, and above all excellent food!

NorthernSeafox
NorthernSeafox

Good for light meals, rubbish for puddings

3 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2008

This place is better than their 'sister' place the Salad
Table for vegan food. It has a nicer atmosphere and better opening hours, as there aren't many places in Edinburgh that open Sunday afternoons (well it did when I was last there). However, the menu isn't very adventurous, and the puddings are rubbish. They serve the only cherry pie I've ever eaten which has virtually no flavour. I'd go again, but stick to the savoury food.

Pros: location, open sundays, totally veggie
Cons: really bad, bland puddings, limited menu for vegans, has delusions of grandeur
khb
khb

Nice little place

4 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2008

When I visited, there was plenty of selection for vegans. My starter (bread with an assortment of spreads - hummus, baba ganoush, etc) came with far too little bread for the amount of spread they served. But that turned out to be all right, because I didn't really like some of the spreads at all. The others were quite good. My main dish, a Moroccan tagine, was full of "neaps and tatties" - I guess they either wanted to add a local twist or reduce their costs! They were happy to grant my request for a bowl of just vegan ice cream for pudding (vegan ice cream was offered on the menu, but only with the other puddings - I don't remember if none of them were vegan or if I just wasn't in the mood for the ones that were), which they served topped with some nice fresh fruit. The ice cream itself was a little bit freezer-burnt - maybe they don't get too many people ordering it. I thought I remembered that they closed rather early in the evening (8:30 or 9:00 or so) but according to their website they are open later now.

Pros: decent food, nice atmosphere, friendly service
Cons: ice cream spent too much time in the, freezer
sherill
sherill

Nice place in Edinburgh

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2008

My fiance and I ate at Henderson's last spring when we visited Edinburgh. We enjoyed it, although there was definitely more for vegetarians than for vegans. The food seemed a little expensive to us for what you got, but it was our first day in Scotland and we may have still been adjusting to the exchange rate (We're from Toronto, Canada). It is a cozy place though and the food was quite good. We had a nice evening there and I would definitely recommend it to others who are visiting from out of town.

louis
louis

Henderson's Restaurant

4 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2008

Pleasant dining area in basement with friendly atmosphere. Lots of options for vegetarians and quite a reasonable vegan selection for the main courses. My food was tasty and well presented, a vegan haggis in a filo pastry with gravy. There wasn't much in the way of vegan desserts though and my fruit pie was nice but rather on the expensive side for a small portion. Good soya lattes and good selection of wines; the type of place you'd be happy to linger with a bottle after your meal.

Pros: location, tasty and attractive food, soya milk
Cons: desserts on the small side for price
jenni513
jenni513

Fabulous

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2007

I recently spent a weekend in Edinburgh, my favourite city, and found this gem right in the heart. The food was fabulous, the setting rustic and charming, and the variety superb. I am a strict vegan, but also refrain from wheat and gluten and the selection available to me was excellent. It's great to find a place that caters to my strict requirements...and serves great food.

bigdave
bigdave

Dependable Hendersons

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2007

We have just visited Hendersons for the fourth time in two years, nothing changes! Excellent soups, main courses and desserts as usual in a friendly, casual, atmosphere. Very reasonable prices and everything clearly labelled either veggie or vegan. I can't reccomend this gem enough.
P.S. The founder "Mac" Henderson is 100 years old this year (2007).

Pros: Informal, Friendly staff, Occassional live music
Cons: No nearby parking, Gets very busy
Foxtrot
Foxtrot

Bland, salty food

2 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2007

This place is in the kind of time-warp in which carrot salad should contain cheese, and pies should be made with ridiculously thick pastry that tastes of nothing. I am astonished by its continuing success.

Pros: location
Cons: rubbish, bland food, unhappy-looking staff, expensive
onejamie
onejamie

4 +++ Stars

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2007

It's probably not fair to rate the view, is it? If you could move this restaurant so that you could see Holyrood Park out the window instead of the grey buildings... then it would rate a perfect 5 for me! Everything inside is perfect.

We ate here twice when we visied Edinburgh in January 2007, once for lunch and once for dinner. Both meals were excellent. The staff are very welcoming and genuinely friendly. It was very comfortable. The food was really delicious, and beautifuly presented. The vege haggis was good too.

I highly recommend this place for a comfy, delicious, happy, yummy, and relaxed experience.

Pros: Best Staff and Service, Yummy Food, Very Comfortable
Cons: Umm... the view?

Dear Owner and Manager of Henderson's Bistro: