Hendersons at St. John's

The Henderson's business includes 2 vegetarian restaurants, a shop and deli, and art gallery. Hendersons @ St. John's took over the Cornerstone Cafe beneath St John's Church in late summer 2009 as reported to HappyCow. It's a teahouse serving snacks, baked potatoes, sandwiches, soups, salads, daily specials. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Scottish, Western, Beer/Wine, Catering
3 Lothian Road (Edinburgh's West End, under St John's Church)
Edinburgh, Scotland EH2 4BJ
0131-2290212

Open Mon-Sat 10am-5.00pm, Sun 11am-4pm.

First Review by hack_man
craigmc
craigmc

good choice

4 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2014

like its original a good choice for healthy eating. decent salad bar, sandwiches and cakes.
a few hot dishes which like the bigger store, are good but not excellent.
a much nicer feel and a good space, if you get a good day there is some seating outside with a castle view. there is a god one world shop a few door down as well.
I thought the three salad option was pricey at £7.50, but it was huge!

Pros: location, good options., outside seating
christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

No vegan cakes...how very disappointing!

2 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2013

I popped in here the other day with a friend to grab a tea and hopefully cake. Zero cake options for vegans which seems quite ridiculous given that I'm sure I'm not the only person who prefers to avoid animal products that goes into such an establishment. I questioned this and I was told that it was a vegetarian, not a vegan cafe. This is obviously true but I won't go back as I felt alienated and not very welcomed.

Cons: No vegan cakes, Not friendly
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

Thank you Hendersons!

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

This place is so lovely, and a regular dining spot for me!

The place itself is gorgeous, in the basement of an old church with vaulted/arched ceilings. Sometimes this means it feels a bit dark, but hey, it's ambient! They also have a nice outside space so you can eat on the patio in summer.

The food is always great and there are almost always vegan options, even cake! The only time there isn't is towards the end of the day when they might have run out of something... but they will try to accommodate you if you ask! Everything is fresh and delicious - I particularly love the hummus platter, which consists of LOADS of their great homemmade hummus with toasted flatbreads, salad, roasted veggies and olives. So lovely! The cakes are always great too!

The staff are great people -- especially Barry, he is awesome! They are very helpful and generally friendly too, although sometimes it's super busy and they're rushing about. Hendersons is also a great venue for cultural stuff, I particularly recommend the Shore Poets, a live literature night that happens that last Sunday of every month. The lovely Hendersons staff are on hand throughout to serve beers and cakes, which is always a nice accompaniment to a bit of poetry!

Pros: Lovely food, Cake cake cake, Hooray for nice staff!

Stevie
Stevie

Hendersons at St. John's, Edinburgh

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

I was in this place on Dec 27th. I arrived fairly close to their closing time and was told there wasn't much choice left for me as a vegan grade vegetarian. Only thing available then was cherry tart so I had a slice.

The setting is very nice in an area under very nice arches. No issues with the ambience and as would be hoped, the guy serving who exactly what I meant when I asked whats vegan.

I am not overly experienced re this venue but there were a couple of other things that match the perception I already have of Henderson's from their other place. Firstly the would was lovely. While very nice it seemed a little over priced for what you get for your cash.

It wasn't much past 4 pm when I went and they were gearing up for closing down. I'm unsure if that's because it was in between Christmas and New Year.

Location is a good choice. This seems to be the only all vego eatery around Edinburgh's West End and fills a nice little gap.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly, Central
Cons: A little pricey for what you get
alreader
alreader

YUMMY surprise!

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2011

After reading the 3 old reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. My mother and I went for lunch and because I wasn't too hungry I only ordered a tomato coriander soup which turned out to be great. My mother ordered the spicy black bean burger with guacamole, chips and salsa. Wow were we in for a treat! My mother shared a bite with me and suddenly I was hungry and had to go order one for myself. The price was nice and the location was gorgeous out under the giant trees in the gardens. Very peaceful.

Pros: YUMMY food!, Beautiful scenery, Good prices
pajar
pajar

Great casual lunch spot

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2010

Good simple place for lunch, very much in tune with Henderson's main venues. "hack_man" should revisit!

Pros: Reasonable range of food, Pleasant venue, Outdoor seating
feorag
feorag

Much improved

3 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2009

For years I avoided this place when it was the Cornerstone Cafe. The food was uninspired, and the one or two fish dishes on the menu stank the place out. I first noticed the change of ownership during the Fringe, and popped in to see what was on offer. I made a second visit a few weeks later to relax after shopping at the farmers' market, and to confirm that the change of ownership wasn't just temporary for the Fringe and Festival.

The cafe is located beneath a church, in a crypt, which provides a strangely gothic environment.

The menu is very much lunch-oriented, with soups, sandwiches, salads and a few entrées, none of which are cooked to order. The sandwiches and salads are mostly vegan, and one of the two soups always is, as far as I can tell. The food is solid and filling, with very little excitement except in the salads which are often quite unusual. Not that this matters if what you want is a good lunch. There isn't much for veggies at this end of town, and this should prove a welcome stop for shoppers.

Pros: no longer stinks of fish, good solid food, handy location
Cons: churchy environment, food not particularly exciting
hack_man
hack_man

Shame it's Not Veggie anymore

1 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2008

Use to be a veggie place but now sells sandwiches with sliced meat. Quite a boring place with uninspired choice. Basically a tea house with snacks. Unless you happen to pass by give it a miss, Edinburgh has so many veggie places that you do not need to go here.

Cons: not veggie

Dear Owner and Manager of Hendersons at St. John's: