Serves meat, veg options available. Hotel restaurant wit atrium setting under the canopy of native palms. Seats up to 120 diners. Pacific-rim menu with a separate vegan menu for the restaurant and the lobby bar. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
35 Hobson St (Wyndham St)
Auckland, New Zealand

Veganswife
Veganswife

Separate vegan kitchen in 4 star hotel restaurant

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2014

When we visit Auckland overnight, we choose the Heritage Hotel in Wyndham St largely because of the vegan menu at Hectors Restaurant. Although it does have a general menu that includes meat, the vegan menu is separate from it and cooked in a separate kitchen. The lunch specials are interesting - a starter, a main and a dessert delivered on a tray. There a choice of three or four such vegan meals. Because of the two menus, Hector's is a food place to rendezvous with both vegan and non vegan friends. It has a comprehensive wine list and good coffee.
For those staying in this hotel, the breakfast buffet is amazing. As well as a broad international buffet selection, it includes a stunning raw food vegan buffet and diners can have the run of all options. My husband is vegan and I am vegetarian, so this allows me my scrambled eggs if I want them, as well as such vegan delicacies as coconut yoghurt.
The hotel itself is four star and very environmentally savvy in its practices.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 16, 2014

Pros: Separate kitchen for vegan menu, Hotel restaurant providing three meals , Vegan bar snacks in hotel lobby
RobBohmer
RobBohmer

Hector's

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2013

Excellent vegan options (3 main courses and 3 starters). What a pleasure having vegan options, in very pleasant ambiance. Congrats to the owner and chef!

Pros: vegan options, ambiance
Cons: but pricey but you pay for quality
phcyso
phcyso

Always amazing food

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2013

I have been to Hectors several times and the food has always been amazing.
I would highly recommend their vegan meals to all, especially if you are staying in the hotel so you do not have to walk too far after stuffing your self with vegan goodness!

Pros: Yummy, Cheap for the quality, OMG Yummy
Cons: none

Yvette Rigby
Yvette Rigby

Herbivorous High Tea

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

I came to the Heritage Hotel on a Sunday afternoon for high tea. We were served finger sandwiches - one with hummus & veges, another with macadamia cheese & veges - as well as sweets, including: cranberry scones, chocolate mini-cupcakes, mini cream tartlets, raspberry lamingtons and vanilla macaroons. Lovely ambience, lovely treats. At $32 per person, it was an expensive afternoon tea, but well worth it and filling too. I hope I can stay at the Heritage next time I'm at Auckland - the other menus look fab!

Pros: High tea!, Haute vegan cuisine, Ambience
Cons: On the expensive side
Yolanda
Yolanda

Terrific tapas

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2012

Had tapas in the lobby of the hotel and it was fantastic. 9 choices, all vegan, at $9 each or 3 for $22. We ordered 6 tapas - the cabbage, olives, polenta, mushrooms, tempeh cigars, and the catalan spinach. All were great and the 6 dishes fed us very well and served as dinner. The 3 best dishes, tho all were good, were the catalan spinach which came with sweet corn dumplings, the tempeh cigars and the mushrooms which were very tasty and had truffle oil. All 3 were large portions, especially the mushrooms which could have served as lunch for one on its own. For drinks there were a range of smoothies and juices - the smoothies even had soy yogurt and soy milk.

I will definitely go back and have tapas again there. It was such a nice experience, sitting in the lobby, reading the papers, watching the world go by and eating such tasty vegan cuisine.

Pros: relaxing, value for money, wide choice of very tasty food
Cons: parking can be hard
RayTomes
RayTomes

Hector's Restaurant

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2011

A top quality and expensive restaurant. Serves about 5 each of entrees and mains which are vegan and these are shown first in each part of the menu for convenience. International style of meals with very creative menus by a top class chef. Suit those with lots of money or wanting a really special occasion.

Pros: excellent, creative
Cons: expensive
Exquire
Exquire

Exquisite vegan options made with style and flair

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2011

I visited on World Vegetarian Day 2011 (October) and was treated to a special set menu celebrating the day. It's clear that the Heritage takes pride in their vegan range and even has 100% vegan lobby bar. All three courses were reasonably sized and included a range of flavours without ever going too far. Lots of caramelisation, purees and expert food techniques. After a smoked eggplant quenelle I ordered a dish of green pea risotto served with polenta-crumbed artichoke and radish salad. This was all about as good as you'd expect except for the risotto which completely hit it out of the park. My dinner partner and I had several moments of tasting the food and looking at each other... despite being vegan foodie geeks I am happy to say that we were completely outmatched by this kitchen. Her main was a straight-forward but generous portobelo-tofu wrap with a fabulous mango chutney. Then we both had a dessert that included the best mandarin sorbet in town and agreed we would have to come back. At $58pp in a comfortable and stylish environment with excellent service I actually thought our night was very reasonably priced.

If you're in Auckland looking for a stress-free and memorable fine vegan outing, Hectors would be hard to beat. Friendly staff, beautiful food, nothing over-the-top and very easy to recommend.

Pros: Comfortable, Expert food, Only surprises are happy
msblack
msblack

At last, a place I can take my Mum to

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2011

Fancy restaurant with fancy prices but highly recommended as a birthday/anniversary/family-in-from-overseas treat. Lots of vegan entrees, soups, mains and desserts to choose from. My last visit I had the bread-crusted tofu which was excellent and my partner had the tempeh which was also very good although I preferred my tofu. And for dessert we had the chocolate sorbet with super yummy passionfruit soy cream. Next visit I'll be trying the Red Pepper and Tomato tarlet, the Mushroom Stew, and the Cinnamon Banana Fritter... might have to skip breakfast and lunch that day.

SirEatsAlot
SirEatsAlot

Excellent!

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2011

Very good food. Not cheap, but a good place to go for something a bit nice. A bit like a vegan restaurant with a few meat options, rather than the typical meat restaurant with 1 vegan option. They've recently expanded their menu and it now includes vegan brunch, bar food, lunch, high tea and the usual dinner/dessert. I would highly recommend it.

Pros: excellent food, huge variety of choice, nice ambiance
Cons: bit pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Hectors Restaurant: