Heartland Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers some vegan and vegetarian options. Desserts made in-house. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Delivery, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan
VeganSally
VeganSally

Good Community Spot

4 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2012

This is the kind of restaurant/venue that anchors a community. If I lived in the immediate neighborhood, I'd come here all the time. Great vibe, friendly people, warm and welcoming. The meals are great, but not memorable. Not living in the neighborhood, the food isn't of so high a caliber that I'd go out of my way to eat here. There are just too many other (better) vegan options in the city.

agriot
agriot

Love the Heartland Cafe

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

Just got back from visiting Sweet Home Chicago. When I visit Chi Town the Heartland is my # 1 place to eat. There are plenty of vegetarian/vegan options and things for my non vege friends too. The owners, Michael James and Katie Hogan are good friends and I bring them interesting menu suggestions, some of which have found their way to the Heartland menu. They strive to live up to their slogan. "Good food for the mind and body." The Heartland is also a great place for music, comedy and spoken word. Over the years (I've been going there since the late 70's) I've met a host of interesting people, many of whom have become friends. The Heartland is more than a restaurant, it's an experience. Check it out.

Pros: great food, fun staff, unique
Cons: parking
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

New Improved Menu

3 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2010

Apparently Heartland now has a new and improved menu and the items on it look tasty. This is a good thing because last time I was there I didn't like what I got - I think it was some wrap. It also looks like they have a good amount of veg*n options now too. :)

Heartland is also really convenient to get to by car and by train (red line - it's a 1 min walk from the stop).

Dear Owner and Manager of Heartland Cafe: