Vegetarian cafe and tea house. Various range lunch meals, herbal teas, freshly cooked and cook to order stir fry noodles and noodle soup. Main course served with rice or noodle start from $6-$10. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Take-out
66 Liverpool St (Street entrance to Bank Arcade )
Hobart, Tasmania 7000

ChickpeaKitty
ChickpeaKitty

Lovely!

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

Simple food, but it was quick, easy and the perfect place to end up, out of the Tassie cold.

We had the veggie roll (like a sausage roll, but with veggies) and a savoury bun, though there were sweet ones there too.

Only downside is that it seemed to close quite early (we're talking 3 or 4PM every day). But most of the businesses seemed to do that in Hobart while we were there (May-June) so really couldn't complain too much.

Pros: Good Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: Early Closing Times.
jenny05
jenny05

Heart Warming Place In Town!

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2012

I like this vegetarian eating place ,they serve pure vegetarian meals that suit people who really like to have a healty diet. My favourite food is Lasagne which is very very yummy that I ever have before! I just can't believe now I am addicted to their vegetarian Lasagne since then.One of my colleague has the same experience too,hard to resist as a first choice! We also like the crispy fritters,they are so clean and delicious !! One of the best healthy snack in town ! The herbal tea selection is truly heart warming and health at heart ,especially the Inner Calmness and Balance.Thanks Heart Food , we like your shop which trully warming my heart and lift up my spirit too!

Pros: healty cuisine, good value, friendly & caring staff
ThrowingMuse
ThrowingMuse

Nice but a bit ordinary

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2011

With the plethora of Asian-style-mock-meat-dishes-on-a-bain-marie lunch eateries in Hobart's CBD I gave this place a try, hoping the more typically western cafe decor would be indicative of a different style of cuisine. As it was the only Vegan listed place on Happy Cow, that was also a drawing card when planning my lunches. When I walked in the door what I discovered were plenty of mock meat Asian styled dishes (not all of them vegan) in a bain marie and déjà vu set in once more...

...okay to be fair there IS a wider variety of food here when compared to the other vegetarian eateries in Hobart. There is less mock meat dishes and a bigger emphasis on vegetables including baked vegetables, there's also a couple of stews and curries. There was a bakery section as well but this too was more curry puffs and samosas, and the 'pastie' that I ordered with salad was not the pastie that one remembers one's grandmother making but rather a Yum Cha adaptation of the dish, I think the filling even had soy sauce in it! I think I preferred the dessert better, they run out of vegan cake which was annoying but had a 'rainbow tart' with a base made from nuts which was quite delicious, as was the hauntingly smoky Lapsang Suchong tea with soy milk that I had.

I returned a few days later with a friend, and they had a token western pasta dish in the bain marie...which ironically turned out to have cheese in it. My omnivorous friend seemed to enjoy it, whilst I settled for noodles with the cauliflower and a mock meat dish. It would have been pleasant, had the bain marie been warmer, it was barely above room temperature. Anyway they'd still run out of vegan cakes so the rainbow tart was still the highlight, and still peckish I had a curry puff to go which was probably the most perfectly average tasting thing I've tasted in a while (to its credit it WAS above room temperature).

This sounds like a negative view but it probably must be seen in context: Heart Cafe is probably the best of the 4 or so exclusively vegetarian eateries in Hobart - quite how they all manage to survive in a small city when they're all almost identical repetitions of each other in an already niche market is beyond me but I digress. Its nice, relatively varied and healthy, it is NOT exclusively vegan and therefore should not be labelled as such, to the point where getting vegan cake is gamble (which I lost out on both times).

Pros: rainbow tart, tea, pleasant service
Cons: lukewarm food, not exclusively vegan

imo
imo

Quick Lunch in the City

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2011

Went here yesterday for lunch. Nice, clean little cafe. The occaisional break from loud music and hipsters is always welcome for the cafe-addicted and permanently hungover. New favourite for quick, easy lunches in the city. Everythings already made and sitting in the bain marie so there's no waiting. You can chose a decent size feed for 8 bucks or a massive one for 10 and the choices are (I think) all vegan, delicious and by the looks/tastes pretty healthy. Service is lovely and friendly and you can eat in or take out. Didn't try the tea but there's a good selection and didn't try the battered cauliflower which is apparently rave-worthy according to a friend. Nice to see more vegan venues springing up around Hobart

Pros: Healthy and tasty, Quick and easy, Central Location
Cons: Can get crowded at lunchtime
vegan_simon
vegan_simon

Love this place

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2011

This cafe is housed in a shop at the Liverpool Street entrance to the art-deco Bank Arcade. Great atmosphere, great service and great food (about 80-90% is marked as vegan). I had a mixed bowl of chickpea/tomato stew, fried green beans & mushrooms, battered cauliflower and very yummy noodles (about $10), and a vanilla slice ($3.50). All vegan and all delicious. I thoroughly recommend this place.

Pros: quiet, quaint atmosphere, friendly & prompt service, delicious food, plenty vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of HeartFood: