A premium health and organic food store in Hong Kong since 1992. Stocks more than 1500 products imported from USA, mainly food-allergy items including gluten-free, wheat-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, and nut-free as well vegan and special needs for diabetics and cancer recovery patients. Also offers natural cleaning products, health aids, personal care products, books, and music CDs. Delivery available. more-less
8/F, Hung Tak Building, 106-108 Des Voeux Road, Central

Stevie
Stevie

Health Essential, Hong Kong

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2014

I spun along here yesterday afternoon. I agree with most of what the other reviewers have said in that it is mostly imported western products. Unsurprisingly it's on the pricey side.

The surprise I received though was that it isn't 100% vegetarian. They sell pork and beef sausages which I would guess the management seem to find acceptable based on it being organic meat that is used. Just to make this 100% clear. This isn't Hong Kong mock meat I am talking about. This is a brand imported from Germany that clear states on the label "Schweinefleisch 72%". I'm not saying my German is brillianr but it's good enough to know that means 72% pork. In the same section they also sell a western brand of chicken broth.

Pros: Most of the products are vego friendly, Pricey
Cons: Not 100% vego
beerzuki
beerzuki

Mostly western style products

Posted on 03 / 11 / 2013

I found that this store carried fairly similar shelved stuff to places I have been in UK / USA / Australia. I didn't notice any fresh produce. It had the shelves nicely marked though indicating things that were suitable for diabetics (and other requirements like gluten free, too).

It is a blessing particularly for people with dietary needs and expats in Hong Kong to have access to a place like this.

Pros: well selected range
chiappa
chiappa

Charming

Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

I was impressed at the great collection of products here. Not the biggest of shops but they really nailed it with loads of essential and interesting products. However seems most of the stuff originates from the US. I just wish there could be more variety in origin, but I was happy to see some Japanese and cheap Indian products:) The service is really good, lovely staff. Will visit here on my future trips to Hong Kong!

Pros: variety, friendliness, expertise
Cons: US galore, lack of MORE shampoos

watermeloun
watermeloun

Health Gate --> Health Essential

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2012

Great healthy store. It's a bit difficult to find though. You have to take an elevator to access the shop.

Inside you'll find a lot of products. Snacks, baking products, all suitable for vegetarian and vegan.

Pros: large choice
Powerbex
Powerbex

Wonderful

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2009

A great store with a wide variety of produce and friendly staff. Always make a stop here for my special needs...good selection of baking goods for vegans, with non-dairy choc chips, agave syrup, xanthan gum etc

Dear Owner and Manager of Health Essential:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Hong Kong Island page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/03/21