Health Ecology - Panepistimiou

Ygeia Ecologia (Health Ecology) is a fast food restaurant, with a health food market next door. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by dimitri
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Definitely SKIP this place on your trip

2 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

Skip this place on your trip to Athens.

The food is cheap, but so is the quality.

There was zero flavor, I mean ZERO, to anything I ordered. Plus, you could tell the food had been sitting out all day and was no longer warm, let alone hot.

Also, you can't get any kind of mixed plate / sampler / half portions of anything, so I had to buy 2 full bowls to try 2 items. Obviously, I couldn't eat it all.

The set-up, the taste of the items, just everything was sub-standard.

Skip this place on your trip to Athens.

Pros: No meat
Cons: No taste, Food not kept hot, No way to get multiple items
JonTurner2000
JonTurner2000

Never mind the Ecology - elsewhere would rather be

2 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

We walked in, took a look at the various dried out, grey, unappetising dishes on offer in the cafe chill cabinet and decided we really didn't fancy eating any of them. They were hardly screaming 'fresh' at us. Not a great advert for what might have been on offer in the shop.
Surprised that this place was so disappointing. But really ...

Pros: Didnt eat here, so cant comment further
Cons: Food looked tired and grey
margaritav
margaritav

average food and service

3 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

This place is alright if you are near the city center and looking for a quick bite. It's more or less a vegetarian fast food place. There is a big variety of vegan and vegetarian food and daily specials but the taste usually is so and so and the prices are quite high for what this place is offering. Their tofu kebab is very good though and I like the fact that you can order half portion as their portions are quite big for just one person.

Pros: daily specials, big portions, self serving
Cons: average taste, expensive
nardanddee
nardanddee

True LOVE

5 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2011

I LOVE this place! It was so nice to find a spot that understood that just because I'm vegan doesn't mean that I only want to eat a greek salad (sans feta). Just be careful because even though they are all vegetarian, they are not all vegan. Great prices, great portions.

Pros: great selection, good prices, close to metro Omonia
Cons: no English
Haris
Haris

vegan-veggie friendly

3 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2011

located in the heart-center of Athens,this vegan -veggie friendly shop and dinner,gives us a breath of delight when it comes to vegan or vegeterian snacks,juices,and full meals!
I personally have been shopping there since 2002,nad i have been always friendly served and assisted.The dinner ,located right next door to the bio-shop,has always fresh vegan-vegeterian meals n snacks to offer,plus the patience to explain to you ingredients and such,just in case of any food intolerance,or food sensitivity or peven preference.
Prices varie,however it is always up tp your choice.
Be it its lcation,be it my knowing the personnel,i always enjoy my shopping or even non shopping visit to this shop,as besides all vegan -vegeterian products for sale,there are so many interesting books tha tone can always find them so so handy and usefull.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, very satisfying portions
Cons: kinda pricy
vegantr
vegantr

Greek vegetarian-vegan food

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

This is one of my favourite place in Athens.Serving delicous Greek-Turkish vegetarian cuisine.Ask for help to show you the vegan options.Wonderful,yummy vegan food as well as raw desserts!A paradise in the city!!
Updated from previous review on Friday February 25, 2011

Veronica01
Veronica01

Ok food, good concept

3 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2010

This is not actually the restaurant name, there's a sign that says Vegetarian Fast Food and it's attached to the Oikologoi Elladas Store health food store next door.

They seem to always be open which is good, but they do not cook on Sundays, so if you show up it is Saturday's room temperature left-overs.

I am not sure why it's room temperature as every taverna we ordered vegan food from served it hot and it actually tastes much better hot.

The stuffed eggplant is really good here, but it's fairly expensive and we only realized after that we could order similar items from tavernas at a fraction of the price. Of course you have to make sure they understand no meat and no cheese.

The juice is not bad, a little expensive and served room temperature. But the staff were very nice, one of them spoke English and tried to explain to us the food. Sometimes there is only a Greek lady behind the counter though so you have to point.

Pros: vegan friendly, fast
Cons: cold food, not fresh on sunday, expensive
lewisjc
lewisjc

Panepistimiou

3 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2010

Food:- Decent selection for vegetarians and a few Vegan options but all were a bit unadventurous (typical 'chick pea delight')
Atmosphere and surroundings:- School canteen type feeling
Service:- Friendly and helpful
Overall:- To be honest, I was grateful to find any type of veggie restaurant in Athens
Score:- 6/10

Pros: healthy / wholesome, friendly / helpfull
Cons: boring, kinda expensive, Shabby Decor
Maori108
Maori108

Glad that it exists

3 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2009

The restaurant and organic store next to it is a convenient combination for me as a vegetarian. The price is fair and I am glad that they, as one of the few few, offer vegetarian and proper food. Nevertheless I hardly ever eat there and prefer to cook and eat at home simply because the dishes are quite simple and lack flavor and imagination. You get what you pay for, which is good. The variety of choice is excellent. Service is fast. You can't go wrong with the fruit juices. Try it out, it's quite interesting.

Pros: belly filling, wide variety of dishes, fast service
Cons: not so tasty
blackcat
blackcat

Greek Vegetarian

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2009

Have been several times and each time there are different main dishes, all reasonably priced and very filling. The fresh juices are good too. For around 29 euros, 3 of us shared a large fava, a salad, two fresh juices, macaroni pie, 'beefsteak' pie, & bread.

Pros: free water or cordial, Varied fresh squeezed juice, , Large portions
Cons: Rushed to make choices, not tempreture hot
lorenzita
lorenzita

Very decent, healthy vegetarian fastfood

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2008

Luckily our hotel was located very close to this place and we enjoyed having such an easy access to that simple but efficient vegetarian food provider... They had interesting vegan options and also make the famous Spanakopitas suitable for vegans. We recommend this place to vegetarian and vegan tourists looking for something good, healthy and reasonnably priced.

Pros: Price, Location, Fresh food
Cons: Not very cosy
flamekat
flamekat

Decent cheap food

3 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2008

Found this place by accident while looking for a taverna recommended by a friend. It says "Vegetarian Fast Food" outside--hard to miss! I think the name in Greek is "Biological Greek".

The food is cafeteria-style taverna fare. Basically all of the veggie options you can find in a taverna plus a few mock meat options. We were in a hurry, so just grabbed what looked good. I had soy kebab (sort of a soy mince stew) with okra in tomato sauce. My father had an onion tart (not vegan) which he liked but would have preferred hot (traditionally, Greeks don't think hot food is good for you so in less touristy spots, food is room temp). My brother had roast potatoes and my husband had fava, two bulghur-stuffed eggplants and Greek salad without the cheese. We all shared amongst ourselves and with two beers our total was only 13.60 euros! You can't even get gyros for that in Athens. We couldn't even finish everything and had to leave behind one of the eggplants as we were getting on a flight in a few hours.

Don't expect anything amazing and make sure you pick up a salt shaker downstairs before you head up (the nicest seating is up two levels), but the food is good, fresh, cheap, and off the tourist track. They also have fresh-squeezed juices.

The health food shop next door has pretty much everything you need including vitamins, cosmetics, organic fruit, veg, and dairy, soy products, and dry staples like beans, wheat and gluten-free products, and quinoa.

Pros: Cheap, central location-easy to find, Traditional dishes
Cons: Somewhat lacking in flavor
westcornersville
westcornersville

Some Different Greek Items

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2007

This place had some Greek foods that you won't normally see in Greek restaurants--as an example, I recall having leek pie. There's a decent selection here at a decent price at this lunch counter, and a lot of the items appear to be vegan. It's very cramped inside though.

Pros: some "new" Greek foods, good portions, affordable
Cons: too cramped inside
dimitri
dimitri

• raw

Panepistimiou

2 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2007

its like a delivery fast food place with a health food store beside,the food its just ok nothing special,some food are average some are better,nothing special really,once iv been there the toilets was dirty as hell and i hear the owner give the minimum salary,doesn't pay extra work time, and doesn't pay insurance, the stuff change all the times and the atmosphere are eat and go fast

Dear Owner and Manager of Health Ecology - Panepistimiou: