Well-stocked moderate size natural foods store features fresh fruits and vegetables, bulk staples, grocery, vitamins and supplements, and more. Also a vegetarian-friendly hot foods & salad bar; pay for food by weight. more-less
2411 S Kihei Rd (Ke'ali'i Alanui on east side of road in South Maui)
Kihei, Hawaii 96753
808-875-4356

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by lmzeigler
Chia
Chia

Little health food store in Kihei

3 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow many years before, and have shopped and gotten grab and go food on 2 two past trips to Maui island. Was just here again in December 2012, and here's my Hawaiian Moons review update.

This store is small and stocks a range of grocery & natural foods, plus it has a hot foods & salad bar. In the very early days, there were more vegetarian/vegan hot food options, but it was so on my last 2 visits. Vegetarians and vegans can still get food from the salad bar (a bit boring), or in the fridge you'll find a pre-made veggie sandwich or two. Other than that, not so much. The store has added more meat stuff to the hot food section it seems.

You'll probably find a vegan cookie amongst the baked goods.

Definitely go before lunch hour if you want something from the hot foods bar; otherwise, the selection will be meager and appear "old".

Price-wise, the grocery items are on the pricier side. But this is Kihei, a tourist mecca.

The location is very convenient. It's just across the street from the ocean in a shopping plaza with ample parking. Next door is a Maui Tacos where you can get a fast veggie burrito (we did a couple times, but both times weren't good).

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Hawaiian Moons

3 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2012

I stayed in Wailea for a long period of time and Hawaiian Moons was within two miles of the resort I stayed at, needless to say, I stopped in Hawaiian Moons more than I cared to. HM has a good selection of vegetarian/vegan items, they even have grab and go sandwiches as well as a hot and a cold bar. I ate from the cold bar most times, although the food was not spectacular, nor were their premade sandwiches - the vegan sandwich was lackluster. The hot bar always seemed to be closed, so I cannot comment on that. However, I really did love the fruits at HM, the dragon fruit and apple bananas were quite tasty.

kindlizard
kindlizard

decent for a stop

3 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2011

We stopped here for drinks and tofu. The tofu was hard to find (its in the produce section whereas the meats are literally front and center). Other than that the place was fine. They have a $1 off coupon online for their hot bar, which we gave away since we just ate at Joy's. Their prices were surprisingly low actually.

Pros: prices, nice folks
Cons: meat is front & center

jersam
jersam

Great place for lunch

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2010

We had lunch there - designed our meal from their cold and hot salad barrs and it was really tasty and inexpensive. Remember, at a pay by weight buffet, you don't load up your plate like you would in an all you can eat buffet. We ate our lunch at a picnic table at the beach across the street. Would definitely go there again!

lmzeigler
lmzeigler

Pricey!

2 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2009

I was happy to find a place to buy vegan items on my vacation in Kihei, but man this place is expensive! It made my Whole Foods in Los Angeles look like a good deal. I ended up not buying anything because I just couldn't justify the prices. It's too bad because they have a nice selection of items.

Pros: Selection, Convenient location
Cons: EXPENSIVE, Carries meat

Dear Owner and Manager of Hawaiian Moons: