Harrison Street Coffee Shop

Vegetarian breakfast and lunch cafe. Funky atmosphere with eclectic selection of books to read. Brunch on Saturday with an expanded breakfast. Local college hangout near Virginia Commonwealth University. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, Take-out
402 N Harrison St
Richmond, Virginia 23220
804-359-8060

Open Mon-Fri 8am-5pm, Sat-Su 10am-5pm.

First Review by noah
SallyByrd
SallyByrd

Been twice - will def be back

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2013

I've only been to Harrison Street twice and each time I've really enjoyed it. I got tofu sandwiches both times (two variations on the theme) and they were huge and tasty, plenty to take home for later snackin'. Mostly I really like the vibe of this place. Yeah, it's student-heavy (it is basically on the VCU campus) but so what? Good people watching and you can hang out for hours. Service was good for me, too.

Pros: tasty food, huge portions, good buy
Cons: can be crowded/not enough seating
claryb
claryb

Disappointed

2 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

Stopped by at 11:30 AM on a Saturday to find a closed sign on the store but saw employees and customers inside. I opened the door and an employee told me they were closed because they lost power. I asked if I could purchase a blondie and/or brownie since I had cash. I was told very rudely that they were closed and they wouldn't sell me anything.

MrsAshleyFrye
MrsAshleyFrye

love them

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

Both mine and my husbands favorite veg spot in the city.Usually get the super falafel or BBQ tofu sandwich with side salad.Staff is friendly and price is reasonable.

Pros: great vegan food, nice cafe atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: hours
newtobeingvegan
newtobeingvegan

great find

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

New to Richmond and I'm so excited I found this place. Amazing vegan burritos, nice staff, great vibe! Will return again....very soon!

pentagoth79
pentagoth79

Best French toast ever!

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

My husband and I got the vegan burrito and vegan French toast to share. We needed up ordering a second plate of French toast because they were so good. The only thing is next time I'll ask them not to put sugar on them because it's not necessary.
It is a funky place with limited seating but we've always gotten a seat. I also recommend the vegan blondes.

Pros: Vegan breakfast, Best French toast, Fast
Cons: Not all vegan

smylly
smylly

Nice for students

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2011

Have some tasty sandwiches and dinners. Breakfast is ok. Constantly changing hours revolve around college schedule. A Richmond stand-out for being all vegetarian. Vegans will have an easy time finding something to eat too.

Pros: good sandwiches, good service, good coffee
Cons: small, hours change a lot
NikkiStitch
NikkiStitch

best veggie sandwich shop

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2011

I eat here for lunch once a week. The menu has tons of options, 90% of which can be made vegan. Menu varies from tempeh, to tofu, to seitan, to burgers made from grains, veggies, lentils, falafel, etc. The homemade soups are very delicious. So much to choose from! You won't be disappointed! This is a must-visit spot if you are new to Richmond or just stopping through.

Pros: affordable, large menu, tons of vegan options
meredith
meredith

Used to live 5-6 blocks away...

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2010

Been going there since about 2002 or 2003. Love it. Now that I've moved away, I make it a point to stop by there and get a black bean hummus wrap and a peanut butter cup or piece of pie whenever I drive through RVA. Or I will take a detour if I am not going through RVA. It is absolutely necessary.

inmyafro
inmyafro

OMG

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2009

First timer! The staff is super nice. I was having trouble deciding what to order because everything looked so good. I asked the cashier what her favorite item on the menu was and she said the red lentil burger. So that is what I ordered to go. The burger came on a grilled Kaiser roll with lettuce, tomato, sprouts, and a delicious curry veganaise sauce. Service was very fast. The burger was huge. Was only able to get through half of it but I enjoyed every yummy bite. I also ordered a fantastic vegan blondie. I couldn't help it... the taste was orgasmic. This is definitely my new favorite place. Atmosphere is pretty cool and hip. Tell a friend. Run, drive, bike... just get there now!

Pros: Variety, Friendly Staff, Good Value
Cons: Parking
allerson michele
allerson michele

• raw

Love the place!

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2009

I used to eat there all the time, lovely little place! I have never had a problem with bad staff and the atmosphere is great. Amazing food!

Pros: Great staff, Great food, Good selection of coffees
Cons: Pricey, Hard to find (if you're not a local).
tsap
tsap

Delish

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2009

Visited twice during a stay in Richmond. Had the tempeh rueben and the tempeh, lettuce, tomato sub. Both were great. Soups also wonderful. Very laid back and relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
vennahalo
vennahalo

One of my fond memories of Richmond

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2009

Harrison Street Cafe is small and rustic in a sort of grungy hipster way.. but that's good. The coffee is delicious. The food is yummy. I actually miss this place. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting. You should experience it. Try the T.L.T. or Beer Battered Tofu sandwich!

Pros: Tucked away, Good Food, Great coffee
Cons: Not always open reliably, Little spendy
kalypso
kalypso

My favorite place!

4 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2009

I love this place! The sandwiches are awesome--the BBQ Tofu is GREAT! The breakfast burritos are awesome too!

The staff is really nice. The food is affordable.

Pros: locally owned, great sandwiches, nice staff
cookiem
cookiem

Great veg cafe!

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2008

The atmosphere has a very down-to-earth vibe that never makes anyone feel pressured to order or leave too quickly! The service is great and the food is adorably simple but satisfying. The vegan blondies and cookies are probably the best ones in the Richmond area! The salads are always fresh and crisp, and the portions are perfect! The specials are always fun to try, I've never been disappointed. The only thing is that the food seems to be pretty heavy on protein sources (like beans, tempeh, tofu, etc.) rather than balancing with veggies. Nonetheless, super tasty! Imagaine if all cafes could be veg and chill like Harrison! Oh and don't foregt to clean your table when you're done!

Pros: Cookies, Service, Portions
Cons: Protein rich, BUSY at times
tater_tot
tater_tot

cute little veggie spot

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2008

I've eaten at this hip, VCU-area eatery a few times now. I've edited this review to say that the falafel burger is very good, but the beer-battered tofu burger is *DEE-LISH* -- however, I would suggest adding some sort of tangy-er, sweet-and-sour chipotle-y/tomato-y sauce, topped with either dairy or soy cheese. As for their breakfast items, the soysage/egg/cheese burrito left something to be desired. Their drinks (soy lattes, etc.) are pretty good, though. I will certainly keep coming back for more!

Pros: beer-battered tofu burger!, friendly staff, cozy atmosphere
Cons: so-so breakfast items, parking during peak hours
noah
noah

Tea, Sandwich, Music

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2007

This place is a gem. It has a vegan breakfast menu, but of course i wasnt awake by that time. The lunch menu had a decent selection for a coffee shop. I would actually consider it a cafe more then just a coffee shop. But great vegan selections. The bear battered tofu sandwich was amazing. And the side salad was very tasty. And they have real tea! and yerba mate! Staff was real nice. Parking sucks, but not their fault.

Dear Owner and Manager of Harrison Street Coffee Shop: