Established in early-2013 in the location of the previous Vrnda's restaurant (different management). Small cafe setting. Offers gluten-free, raw, vegetarian, and vegan food. Daily specials. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out, Catering

First Review by sbszine
CarolinaSvenOrre
CarolinaSvenOrre

Lovely lassi and good food

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2014

The lassi here is to die for. The food is really cheap and tasty, but not super special. There are the indian curries and the rice and the dahl. But very worth the price.

JasonZoidberg
JasonZoidberg
  • raw

Slightly better than the free meal at Newtown Hub

2 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

I was excited to visit Hari's vegetarian on broadway. I've had some great krishna food in my days travelling abroad. That delicious place in newcastle yum.

However, much to my surprise, the food here was only slightly above the quality the krishna's give out for free on King St every night. The difference being a few extra vegetables.

Where is the mouth watering malai kofta, or full flavoured curries that tantalise my taste-buds. Bad salads are bad. Give me variety or give me death

Zero Stars.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 16, 2013

• Lea Lea

I don't want to dispute the fact that Jason did not enjoy his Hari's experience. Everyone has their personal taste. But some of what he has said is not accurate. The food from the van in Newtown does not include vegan lasagne, veggie burgers, hot chips, cake or cookies. If it did I would be there in a twinkling! The salads at Hari's are scrumptious, fresh and not soggy - opposite of the standard version of HK salad! The kofta balls are also awesome and vegan!

gtrain220991
gtrain220991

Great food, friendly service, excellent location

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

This is a little vegan/vegetarian gem in the bustle of Broadway. Indian-inspired menu, featuring yummy salads. The quinoa salad is a winner - and the baked vegetables were a brilliant lunch on a cold, rainy Sydney day!

Pros: Very tasty food, Friendly service, Good location
Cons: Menu quite limited - but expanding, Decor quite simple

Belblue
Belblue

Amazing!

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

This place has it all... excellent food, great desserts, friendly staff and reasonable prices!! It's a must-visit and you'll definitely be back again and again.

Pawness
Pawness

Good, cheap, quick

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

I had a nice lunch - the Hari Plate for $10 - with 2 curries, rice, dahl, and. Papadum. It was mildly spiced, fresh, tasty. The restaurant had a clean, simple environment. There aren't many pure veg restaurants in the area so - support this one!

Pros: Veg, vegan choices, Good, fresh food, Easy to find location
Cons: Very simple, cafetaria style, Limited choices
Antony Brennan
Antony Brennan

I am impressed

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

I have never made a review before, but after eating at Hari's a few times I decided that everyone should know about this place.

The food is fresh and all made on the premises every day. The staff are friendly and helpful and there is a variety of things to choose from.

There are a number of fresh salads, fresh and tasty. You could easily fill yourself up on those.

The lasagne is so creamy and delicious (and vegan) it is to die for.

There are hot vegetable dishes and dahl as well, you can even get brown rice.

Vegan halava and vegan custard is incredible, but there are more desserts, cakes, bliss balls, berry balls, cheesecakes ( for dairy eaters) chocolate brownies, sticky date pudding. I want to have all of it.

On my mums birthday I went to Hari's and brought a feast of vegetarian delights to her place, she loved it.

There are vegan spinach triangles, vegan tofu fritters, vegan kofta balls, vegan stuffed flat bread, vegan samosa, vegan pizza. It is a vegan heaven. They have drinks both hot and cold, and there is more than this but I can't remember it all. I did try to eat it all but my stomach is only so big :)

Anyway there is free 3 hour parking close by at Broadway shopping center and the buses go by the door every minute so it is easy to get to (but hard to leave)

I'm going back there right now

Pros: Fast, friendly VEGAN, Fresh, cooked on site, Cheap, value for money
Cons: I can't eat everything all at once, I don't live next door to it, They won't let me move in
Guest
Guest

Wanna Be Indians

2 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

This place looks great. Sadly it is all show. The soup was cold and the salad hot. I was a bit wary of the salad, as it seemed to be warm, like, not just room temperature, but like it had been next to something hot.
There is little atmosphere in the place, short of the traffic noise, which I guess is to be expected on Broadway.
The food was cheap, and the service cheaper as those serving took little notice of me even while ordering.
After accepting money from the previous customer, the person serving then used the same hand to place a papadam on my plate. I had to ask for another, and not to handle my food. The pakoras were soggy, like they had been sitting there for a day waiting for someone silly enough to order some, sadly, this was me. They were soaked with oil and again, only warm. The food and salads tasted lifeless.
Moving onto dessert, we were given a slab of sugar in the shape of a cake. Flavourless and sweet is all that can be said for this.
Whilst eating, we were approached by an Australian woman dressed in an old Sari. At first we thought she was a weirdo but then she tried to convert us to Hari Krishna. Despite being told we were religiously catered for, she persisted and we left.
When our office Christmas party comes around, this place will be nowhere on the list of options.

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Cold food, Tasteless, Noisy
Krush
Krush

Very friendly both for the palate and the wallet!!

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2013

Amazing variety to chooses from, friendly staff and very very affordable by Sydney standards. Whether you're a visitor down under or a regular, this place won't disappoint YOU!!

The Pesto pasta and Hari's/Vegan Pizza deserve special mention and so does the carrot cake & chocolate brownie in the dessert options..

Pros: Tasty food, Affordable price, Friendly staff
Cons: Gotta get there quick in the afternoon
Lea
Lea

Delicious fresh vegan food and friendly atmosphere

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2013

Every time I go to Hari's I feel like I am at a party, because everyone there is having so much fun, including the staff. It is a place full of laughter and smiles and the smell and taste of great vegan food. The menu is constantly expanding, with the most recent addition being vegan lasagne, made with the chef's home made tofu-cheezey sauce and fresh tomato sauce. Mmm! The tomato sauce also goes excellently with the delicious spinach triangle pastries, herbed tofu cutlet and tender veggie kofta balls. There are also salads, curries, dahl, spinach-stuffed bread, cakes, avocado rice paper rolls,vegan and non-vegan pizzas and samosas. I understand we will soon also have the choice of veggie burgers and vegan hot chippies. Yippee! This is the kind of place Sydney has needed for a long time, providing variety from our many fantastic Asian vegan restaurant choices. We are so lucky! For the Buddhists and HKs out there, you will also be happy to know there is no onion or garlic and everything is made freshly throughout the day. For the very hungry, or those on a budget, rest assured your tummies will be full to bursting long before your wallet can run dry, the servings are huge. I am looking forward to seeing the new decor too once it has been installed, I understand they are planning very vibrant happy colours, which will make a fantastic place even better.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Great atmosphere, Friendly smiling helpful staff
Moix
Moix

Wholesome & Relaxed

4 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2012

An easy option for simple eats. They hosted a group of 8 of us & the set vegan hare krishna meal on offer was delish & filling with a nice variety on the plate. Great value for money at $10.50 with a little dessert included. The dessert can be made vegan with no fuss. Not much for decor or atmosphere but a good casual place where they are not rushing you out the door. Sincere service. I would visit again.

Pros: Delicious, Affordable, Vegan
Cons: Decor
elm
elm
  • raw

Filling inexpensive, vegan food

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2012

Delightful staff offering simple filling vegan food.. Brilliant for those on a limited budget. Very clean, public transport close by.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Friendly staff
Vgan
Vgan

Good value

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2012

It'a set meal, and cheap and filling rather than inspiring, but it's good to have a vegan option on a street with several meat-heavy Indian restaurants nearby. The lunch plate is $8.50, with two curries, dall, salad and a papadum, plus dessert. All vegan apart from the dessert, which has been halva every time I have visited, and each time they have cheerfully offered to make me a dairy-free version. The evening meal has an additional curry and costs $10.50. At both meals there is a $1 discount for students. There are a couple of extras available containing dairy, but it is very much easier to get a vegan meal here than in most Indian restaurants.

Pros: easy vegan, friendly, cheap
Cons: limited selection
sbszine
sbszine

Non-spicy Indian

3 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2012

Vrnda's offers a set menu of Indian food (curries on rice) with some optional extras like samosa and pakora. Salad, pappadum and desert are included. The food is all vegan except for the dessert. There's not much to choose from but the curries change periodically, so you're not eating the same thing all the time. It's good value but a little bland compared to most Indian food.

Pros: Price
Cons: Variety

Dear Owner and Manager of Hari's Vegetarian: