Happy Family Vegetarian...

A familiar vegetarian restaurant established for many years in Rowland Heights. Food is mostly vegan, has many vege meat options, with a few dishes containing mayonnaise - ask your server. Offers cheap lunch specials daily: a main dish, soup, rice or bread all for around $6. Complimentary hot tea is served. Very quick service. Able to accommodate small or large parties. Parking onsite. Same owner as the Happy Family in San Bernardino and Costa Mesa. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Taiwanese, Take-out
18425 E Colima Rd (Fullerton Rd, 2nd floor)
Rowland Heights, California 91748
626-965-9923

Open Mon-Thur 11:30-2:45pm, 5-9pm, Fri 11:30am-2:45pm, 5-9:20pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-9:20pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Xpecial
VeggieLife
VeggieLife

Nothing Better!

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

We have been going to Happy Family for many, many years! The reason for that is the food is always excellent. We can order off the menu and all is vegetarian. And we just love the owners and staff. We are treated like family :)
Oh, prices are excellent, too! Lunch is great!

catercow
catercow

Amazing!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2012

I ate here for dinner with three carnivorous boys and another fellow vegan/vegetarian. This was by far one of my best vegan dining experiences. Not only was everything we ordered vegan, but I could safely try food from each dish without worrying about what was in it.

Each of us ordered a dish and shared family style. Even with 5 of us, there was still a crazy amount of food leftover.

We ordered the wonton soup (I did not try), sausage in black bean sauce (sausage was more like long strips of chicken but still quite good, the sauce was delicious!), buddha's delight (simple veggies, but yummy all the same), mongolian beef (good, yet spicy), orange peel chicken (more like classic orange chicken, very crispy but if I knew I would get a stomach ache from it being fried if I had more than one piece), and dumplings (the filling was very fresh tasting and the sauce on the side had a nice citrus flavor).

Overall, for the amount and quality of the food we received, it was well worth it. I highly recommend this place for anybody (regardless of diet).

Pros: excellent food, huge portions, very vegan friendly
Cons: too many choices on the menu!, some dishes seemed a bit unhealthy
Chia
Chia

Saucey and Flavorful

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and have dined here many times over the years. Here's my Happy Family in Rowland Heights review.

Was last here in late January 2012 for dinner. For Chinese vegetarian food, this place is fair, some dishes are better than others. The menu and the food taste is not unlike the other veggie Chinese restaurants in the greater Los Angeles area. In fact, I think this Happy Family is one of the first ones (that's still in business as a handful have come and gone) that others have since copied.

Whenever I come here, I always diners occupying tables, so the restaurant definitely has a consistent clientele. The menu is extensive with dishes featuring all sorts of vegetable dishes as well as a wide range of mock meats (mock chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, etc...), plus some Taiwanese style snack foods.

I like the sweet and tangy "pork" that's made from taro root coated in a sweet batter, deep fried, and drenced in a sweet and savory sauce. It's decadent. I also like the simple buddha's feast, stir fry medley of veggies with mushroom. The tofu and eggplant claypot is also a staple for my family when we come here.

My husband likes the spicy bean sauce fish and the bean paste long green beans.

Overall, the food is decent, some dishes I like better than others. Salty and saucey, like most Chinese restaurant food. I would prefer less salt, but that's okay cuz I don't eat this food often.

The service is prompt and food comes out super fast. It gets very busy on the weekends, so you'll likely have to wait for a table. Worth checking out when in the area.

Pros: many choices, cheap lunch specials, prompt service
Cons: salty, possible MSG in pre-made sauces
GabrielitoVegano
GabrielitoVegano

Best Veggie Chinese food

3 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2011

I liked it a lot, the food is very good; however, they serve vegetarian. You have to ask very well if it's vegan and the yes to everything left me a little concerned. Theyn used to use eggs, not sure if they still do.

Pros: good food, nice service
Cons: vegetarian, problems communicating with the staff, not sure if what they say its vegan is v
faunablues
faunablues

Good variety & good food

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2009

I've been going to this place for a few years now. The quality is absolutely great & consistent, and there's a huge variety of foods. Some more "vegetabley" Chinese dishes such as lotus root & snow peas or Buddha's feast, some familiar standards (veggie Mongolian beef, veggie sweet & sour pork, veggie house chicken), and some unusual fake meats (abalone, shrimp, kidney, shark fin). The menu is so big that I dare say you'd be able to find something anyone (vegetarian or not) would like. There is in fact some honey in some of the dishes, and a few dishes with mayonnaise (hand roll, some sort of veggie shrimp with mayo), but it's pretty clear what they are. Still, you can always ask and they'll find out for you.
What is great about this place is its affordability (a lunch special any day of the week is about 5.50-6.50 and comes with rice and soup. you'll be full!), and the quality doesn't suffer at all. On top of that, the servers are quite friendly, and though English doesn't seem to be the first language of my server whenever I'm there, I've never had a problem.
One note, though, is that the fake fish they use is the same one used at other vegetarian Asian establishments which, from a recent blogger's investigation through allergen testing, has been revealed to contain egg and dairy though the package doesn't state such. The people at Happy Family didn't seem to be aware of this either. So, if you're vegan, stay away from the veggie fish, and ask about whatever dish you want to get. That being said, I still love this place and will go back & back again!

Pros: variety, quality, price
Cons: not 100% vegan

veganpig
veganpig

Vegans Beware

3 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2008

Ok... the food is pretty good but it's not 100% vegan and trying to find out what is vegan is like pulling teeth. I just got the generic response of "yes" until I asked about things like honey.... which is in a lot of their stuff. I think vegetarians will do better here... no complaints as far as the taste goes. For those who are restaurant grade conscious, this place has a "B" grade and has had it for a while. My mother is a health inspector for the county and trust me..."B" is not good. Still...if you don't care about that and are vegetarian not vegan, then this place is a must because despite everything else it does taste really good.

Pros: Tasty, Pleasant Atmosphere-Date/Family friendly
Cons: Unknown what is vegan, "B" grade
Xpecial
Xpecial

• non-vegetarian

Best Vege Food!

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2007

I have often visited the Happy Family Vegetarian Restaurant with my family. Although,at first my children weren't quite fond of the food, as we kept going there, my children absolutely LOVED the food. Me and my family have often been going to this restaurant and never went with the old owner that made "Happy Veggie Garden..." That is after I tried their food (it is MUCH worse). If you haven't been to Happy Family in a while, you would notice that the quality of the food has improved, prices even lower than Happy Veggie Garden, really nice waitresses and waiter, and above all - fast food arrival times!

Pros: Awesome Service, Cheapest and Great Tasting, Healthy and quick service!

Dear Owner and Manager of Happy Family Vegetarian Restaurant - Rowland Heights: