CLOSED: Happy Family Vegeta...

July 2013 REPORTED SHUT. Extensive menu featuring dishes with faux meat and vegetable. Bargain lunch specials. Opened since June 2010. Same owner as the Happy Family in Rowland Heights and San Bernardino. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out
1400 Bristol Ave (Red Hill)
Costa Mesa, California 92707
714-668-9288, 714-367-6898

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by whitecrow
VeggiePattie
VeggiePattie

fantastic food and super cheap

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

I don't know how they can afford to do it, but there food is soooo tasty and cheap. For 5.99 you get an appetizer, soup, brown rice, salad, and entree cooked to order. The ambiance is quiet. A good place for quiet meals alone or to catch up with friends.

Pros: price, quality, variety
CarleneParrish
CarleneParrish

We Love This Place!

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

We live in an area with many restaurants, so it's not typical for me to be excited by one, but I LOVE Happy Family. It's not going to bring you in based on looks, that's for sure. It's a restaurant that was once (still?) connected to an older hotel and we found it clean, but not especially attractive inside. BUT the food was great! Someone else mentioned the wonton soup in their review and I have gotta say it is exceptional; go here just for that. We also love the spring rolls. The orange chicken is also pretty good, with real orange peel in the sauce. They have vegan desserts as well that are exceptional. They don't claim to be vegan - just vegetarian, but when we explained what we were looking for, the server lead us through the menu and was very gracious about accommodating our needs.

Pros: Exceptional service, Delicious vegan foods
Cons: Location
EsseGern
EsseGern

Best Chinese food I've had outside of China

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

This restaurant is unbelievably good. It is the best restaurant I have been to in the US, period, and I have lived here for 20 years.

Pros: Friendly waiters, Huge variety, Freaking delicious
Cons: You want to order everything

KirstenDawes
KirstenDawes

Good restaurant but only

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2011

This restaurant is good but they are not 100% vegan. When asked the waiter replied that they were 99% vegan. The fortune cookies given at the end of your meal has milk in them which it clearly states on the wrapper. I am not sure what else on the menu is not exactly vegan but the servers are happy to answer any questions you may have.

That said my favorite dishes to order here are the sizzling tofu, mushroom house chicken and the deep fried bread. The deep fried bread is deliciously good. Portion sizes here are pretty good and my husband and I usually have some take overs.

Pros: Good food, Good service, Big menu with lots to choose from
Cons: Not 100% vegan, Fortune cookies with milk in them, Weird atmosphere
biodcel
biodcel

Great Food

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2010

My wife found this place and brought me home the sweet & sour pork and wonton soup. It was delicious and satisfying. It reminded me of the Chinese Restaurants I ate at in NY while a kid. Went there again today and the same great food and prompt service. Highly recommended to all.

Pros: Really good flavor, Fast Service, big selection
Cons: Under remodeling
nacyorte
nacyorte

Perfect...

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2010

I just ate at the Happy Family restaurant for lunch and it was exactly what I expected. Good Asian food at a good price. I had the Pork and Broccoli lunch special that came with a corn and tofu soup and brown rice. I also tried the fried tofu and their fried rice. All these dishes were excellent. Their menu has hundreds of different dishes. The variety on their menu is sure to delight vegans, vegetarians, and flesh-eaters alike. They offer "mock-meat" and several tofu dishes. Our waiter was very friendly and willing to substitute your favorite vegetables in any dish. I will definitely be returning to this place.

Pros: Variety, good value, friendly staff
Cons: none
MeatAllergic
MeatAllergic

Happy Family made my Family Happy

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2010

I've never been to a Happy Family Restaurant but it was my dream Chinese restaurant. It has a full Chinese menu with everything you can dream of but all the dishes are Vegetarian! I grew up eating Chinese food but was diagnosed with meat allergies 2 years ago. Since then, I have been craving good food without any satisfaction until now. The "meats" are strikingly similar in texture and even taste to the real thing. The sauces and ingredients are authentic and delicious (and without the grease and MSG). Everything we had was fantastic, fresh, and had great presentation. Best yet, I left feeling satisfied and didn't get indigestion like I normally do with other Chinese places that use a lot of oil. The tea was a nice Jasmine. My family who are not vegetarian also really enjoyed the meal and didn't miss not eating meat. The prices are great, as you would expect with a Chinese restaurant. I've never been to a vegetarian restaurant with such a large menu. It is truly impressive. This is my favorite Chinese restaurant now. I plan to be a regular there and bring my friends to eat family style.

Pros: Delicious Food, Healthy Cuisine, Great Value
Cons: Bathrooms need updating
whitecrow
whitecrow

Good... but 100% vegan?

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2010

I just ate here today for the first time, delicious food! I'm not sure they are 100% vegan though. I saw at least one item on the menu said "with egg" and the fortune cookie they gave me with my togo order contains whey & milk. Just a warning!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Happy Family Vegetarian - Costa Mesa: