Happy Family - Loma Linda

San Bernardino Chinese restaurant. Extensive menu featuring dishes with faux meat and vegetable. Bargain lunch specials. Spacious with contemporary style Chinese decor. Opened in 2008. Same owner as the Happy Family in Rowland Heights and Costa Mesa. Located in a shopping plaza just south of the 10 Freeway. All vegan as of Mar 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by Dgiang
LindaKnorr
LindaKnorr

This is a little gem! Love this place!

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2014

Wow - We went to Happy Family in Loma Linda for the first time today. They have very tasty vegan Chinese food at great prices! My husband and I shared two lunch specials and they were both amazing! We will definitely be back again and recommend this place for vegan and non-vegan/vegetarian people. Great service, very clean, awesome food!

SoWo1999
SoWo1999

Great place!

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

I love this restaurant!! The food is delicious and served quickly. The servers are very polite and nice. I just discovered this place recently and have been going as much as possible. And did I mention I love the food!!

Jhakarin
Jhakarin

Our Family Leaves Happy

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

I love how consistent the place is. The service is always friendly and the food fresh and vegan. The atmosphere is calm and they have a diverse menu of Chinese cuisine. Great food!

Pros: Great Portion Size, Vegan, In San Bernardino
Cons: Closed Some Afternoons
emileistheman
emileistheman

Yum, Yum, YUM.

5 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

Ever since my boyfriend and I first went to Happy Family we have gone at least once a week since! I LOVE the food, and the servers seem nice as well. My favorites are the soy chicken nuggets with curry sauce and the kung pao "chicken".
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 07, 2013
Yesterday we had the vegan carrot cake. Talk about DELICIOUS.

Pros: Large Portions, Friendly Staff
VeggieDad
VeggieDad

Pretty good all veg Chinese food

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

It's always nice to find a resturaunt that serves exclusively vegetarian food. I've had some ups and downs at this place with the food being better at times than others but never terrible. All in all it's a nice place to grab some take out or dine in and the staff is very friendly. Plus they serve only veg food! So that alone makes me want to support this business and keep them going :)

Chia
Chia

Good place for vegetarian chinese food

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and stopped in while driving through town. Here's my Happy Family - Loma Linda review.

We were on our way to Joshua Tree to attend Bhakti Fest, and stopped in for a quick lunch. To my surprise, the inside of the restaurant was quite spacious and very nicely decorated in an Asian style decor. Very comfortable booth seating (wooden chairs also).

Our waitresses were two very friendly Chinese woman who converse and played with our daughter.

We got 2 lunch specials to share: the vege fish in black pepper sauce ($7.95) and the sauteed long green beens ($6.95). Each lunch special came with a small fried spring roll, a bowl of brown or white rice, and the soup of the day. The food tasted all right, though we didn't like our soup (a gooey corn and tofu soup).

A good place to get Chinese food that's all veg.

Pros: nice space, friendly service, large menu
VictoriaLopez
VictoriaLopez

• non-vegetarian

OMG!!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2011

This place is so incredible- most of the time. Their meat substitutes are great but a couple dishes are so traditional they have lost their flavor. The chikn mushroom was not especially notable. Their orange chikn and oyster appetizer are WONDERFUL! I like to go with at least 3 people and share each others dishes.

nanciifancii
nanciifancii

Loved it!

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

There isnt many vegeterian places to eat here in the Inland Empire but this place is our new favorite! It is very nice, clean, and roomy. We've never had to wait for a table and the staff was always super nice and attentive. The food is DELISH and very well made. Food is served very fast and the portion sizes are very generous. My family has been going back every weekend since we discovered it!

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, no wait
DrunkTrannyMess
DrunkTrannyMess

Good food, good prices.

4 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

I went to Happy family on a whim and really enjoyed it. They had hundreds of different menu items and were reasonably priced (e.g. the "pork" with bamboo was eight dollars). Their portions are huge and they serve each meal with a giant bowl of rice.

This restaurant is great for vegetarians, but may be intimidating for non-vegetarians. And it was great to know that as a vegan there were tons of options for me- something that rarely happens.

I definitely enjoyed it and will be coming back soon because it's great being able to support local vegetarian businesses.

Pros: Lots of selection, Good value
Cons: Questionable location
cookie
cookie

NOT GREAT:(

2 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2009

My husband and I first were impressed with happy family. We tried to go back but they were closed after lunch and before dinner. That was inconvenient. On our second visit they sent out burned food and lost our bill. They made no apologies for the lack of service. We are very disappointed and we will NEVER go back to Happy Family.

Cons: Burned Food, Lack of Customer Service, Was not a good value
JenDiggity
JenDiggity

Finally, Happy Family comes to SB!

4 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2009

Everything I've had here has been great. The house orange chicken is really mushrooms and they're beyond fabulous. The mongolian beef is to die for! Order extra to take home because you will crave it, I promise. Even the smoked "chicken" appetizer, which I didn't realize was like cold sliced veg chicken lunch loaf, was great when I took it home and made it into veg chicken salad! I do like the their wheat gluten fake meats better than the soy meats. I wish it was easier to communicate with the wait staff so I could find out which items are vegan and which aren't. The menu doesn't specify. There are SO MANY menu items it is going to take many trips to try everything.

• danakscully64 danakscully64

The last time I went there, the man asked me if I was a vegan. They know what that is, so don't hesitate to ask, they love being helpful :)

danakscully64
danakscully64

Delicious Food!

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2009

I live in Riverside and the only vegetarian restaurant we have is Oasis, which is about 30 minutes from my house. I decided to browse outside of my city and came across this restaurant on HappyCow. It got great reviews so I thought I'd drive out there (also about 30 minutes away). My first impression was that it was in an okay area. I was greeted right when I entered and was sat immediately. My boyfriend and I ordered off the lunch menu, the items ranged from about $6.50 to $7.50. Each meal came with a soup (Hot and Sour or Corn Soup), a spring roll, and either white or brown rice.

I ordered the Orange Chicken with Hot and Sour and brown rice. The texture of the chicken was pretty close to meat, the taste was rather good. It's definitely something I'd order again. I LOVE Hot and Sour soup and really enjoy this one in particular. My boyfriend ordered the Broccoli Beef with the same sides. The "beef" tasted similar to a beef jerky we get at a local Health Food Store. The service was so-so, the lady seemed rushed (it wasn't busy) and didn't speak the clearest English, but we got our food quick and it was yummy. She did bring out an extra soup (corn) for us to try, so that was nice. I give this place an A, I will be returning in the near future. Unfortunately, my boyfriend is leaving for Navy training, so I might be sitting alone :(

Pros: Delicious Food, 100% Vegetarian, Affordable
  • danakscully64 danakscully64

Since posting this review, this restaurant has become my FAVORITE PLACE EVER. The people here are always SUPER nice to us and I believe it's the owner who always sees me and talks to me when I come in. He's always looking for input on the dishes and letting us know how we can order it different (more spicy, stuff like that). I'm addicted to the Orange Chicken, brown rice, and hot and sour soup. Best meal ever. Before moving out of state a few weeks ago, my boyfriend and I started going regularly and trying out the different dishes. The Mongolian beef is a new favorite, very spicy, but delicious. This place is amazing, I can't wait to eat here when I visit family in December.

lysa
lysa

A Diamond in the rough

5 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2008

My husband and I are from The east bay...we came here to visit relatives and were bummed on how little options there are around these parts. We found happy family from this website and decided to give it a try. IT WAS AMAZING!!!! The staff was wonderful, helpful and totally sweet. We got 5 dishes and the price was right! Everything was great... one dish was just ok (the sizzling plate shrimps were not that great). This place is amazing!! the orange peel chicken!!!YUM I only wish there was a chinese place this good were we lived. Now coming to so cal will be a treat! Even our relatives really liked it! The ONLY problem with this place is that we live over 300 miles away, but thats our problem...GO EAT THERE!!

Pros: Friendly, Amazing food, comfortable
Cons: not in the east bay
Dgiang
Dgiang

Great Chinese Food in the IE

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2008

Happy Family is NOT the best vegetarian Chinese restaurant in the Inland Empire. It is the best Chinese restaurant there.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Good Value
Cons: Simple decor

Dear Owner and Manager of Happy Family - Loma Linda: