Opened Oct 2014, this vegan restaurant offers Thai and Japanese food. Features a variety of made-to-order vegan sushi rolls. Small and casual, using disposable serving ware. Free wi-fi. Street parking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Thai, Japanese, Take-out

Chia
Chia

Get the sushi rolls

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2015

I read about this place on happycow, and when worked called to come to Long Beach, I jumped at the chance to grab a meal here (Jan 2015). Here's my Happy Elephant review.

It's a little cafe on Broadway with street parking only. Unless you have car karma-luck, expect to park further to get a space.

The interior is small and simple. A waitress greeted us while a chef stands behind the counter making sushi rolls.

On the menu one side is Japanese food the other Thai food. From what my friend and shared, I would highly recommend the sushi rolls ($8 each).

We had rolls with brown rice, avocado, veggies -- one kind even had a caviar (made from seaweed) that gave the rolls an exquisite flavor.

We also tried the Thai appetizer endive leaves with minced cashew nut ($8). Spicy and delish though expensive for the small portion.

Finish the meal with hot sticky rice with sweet mango. Yum.

Happy Elephant is a nice little addition for Long Beach. Finally, good vegan sushi at fair prices.

PS. Food is served in disposable-ware only (maybe due to permit reasons).

Pros: good vegan sushi, sticky rice and mango, friendly service
Cons: appetizer portion too small
halmill
halmill

Not your typical Thai Vegn

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2015

I've gotten to know Long Beach relatively well over the past 2 yrs of staying there for work and I've made Ahimsa, Veggie Grill and Cafe Ambrosia regular stops on every trip. Recently on my bicycle ride to Ambrosia I passed Happy Elephant and promised myself I'd go back before my trip was over. I was not disappointed! Its a small space but comes complete with dining tables, a togo section, and a sushi counter. I was greeted warmly and invited to try to the Thai tea on the house. I chose the coconut milk version and it was very nice. Anyway, to the Food! I ordered the tempeh over broccoli in garlic sauce and chose the black rice instead of the jasmine or brown. The tempeh was great and came in small 2 inch cutlets but the star was the garlic sauce and black rice. It wasn't a lot of food though so I also ordered the elephant sushi roll (I think). After the tempeh main I had to wait a bit for the sushi roll and I actually began to think I was full enough that I would just take the sushi to go. BUt when it arrived I had no choice; it was an elegantly presented inside-out sushi roll with an avocado-slice blanket. Inside was asparagus, carrots and other things (which I don't remember) but I suspect a key ingredient was the veganaise. I haven't seen this used in vegan sushi before so it was a nice surprise. As good as the tempeh dish was, and as full as I thought I had been, the sushi roll was even better. All told the bill came to a little over $20 so it was kind of an expensive lunch....ok so not everyone needs to pig out like me....but it was worth it.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 04, 2015

Pros: presentation, taste
Cons: price
kristaov
kristaov

Delicious food! Friendly owners!

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2014

The food was so good that we scraped the last bits of our plates! We ordered Tofu Sate as an appetizer and green and massaman curry with jasmin rice for mains.

When we arrived the owner offered us kale chips and free drinks on the house (thai iced tea and lemongrass juice). We also also got a small desert on the house!

This place is fantastic!

Pros: excellent value, friendly staff, good value

Sofafilms
Sofafilms

Great new vegan restaurant in Long Beach!

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2014

I found this restaurant on Happy Cow, but it had not yet opened when I looked for it. Today I went back there with my niece. We arrived before 5pm to discover they were closed between 3pm and 5pm. However, the owner was nice enough to open the restaurant for us!

It was difficult to decide what to order. Everything on the menu looked delicious. The owner gave us a vegan Thai Iced Tea and kale chips on the house! We decided on chard cups as an appetizer. I removed the red peppers from mine, as I do not like spicy food. It was delicious.

As an entree I had the Pad Thai and my niece had the yellow curry with black rice. We both loved our meals. Not spicy (thankfully.)

After our meal the owner gave us a dessert on the house! Yams in a delicious coconut sauce. I definitely want to return and try everything on the menu- especially the sushi!

Pros: Delicious, Accommodating, Friendly
Cons: Closed between 3pm and 5pm

Dear Owner and Manager of Happy Elephant Vegan: