Zen-like decor. Appetizers, soups, entrees, house specials, and bargain weekday lunch menu. Lots of mockmeats & tofu options. Re-opened after brief closure. Feb 20, 2014 note it's open. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Chinese, Asian, Take-out
13537 37th Ave (Main St, Queens)
Flushing, New York 11354
718-358-0079

Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

First Review by Tom
kristin.mcshane
kristin.mcshane

Great Food, Iffy service

3 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

I recently found myself in Flushing while my husband had a business seminar. I am always in charge of finding places to eat and this place seemed to fit the bill. There is some confusion as to wether this place is called Happy Buddha or Delightful Vegetarian, there were signs for both names. The restaurant was clean and well lit, and surprisingly empty considering it was dinner time. There were only two other occupied tables besides ours. The waitress took forever to come over. And the food took ages to come considering how empty the restaurant was. We both had garlic pepper "Beef" and it was delicious. For a drink I ordered a blueberry smoothie and was surprised to find it was just a Naked Blue Machine poured in glass. For desert we had tofu cheesecake which was rather tasteless. Overall the food was fantastic but the service and ambience could use a boost. And to top it off we got a $35 parking ticket because Flushing is changing from individual meters to one meter where you get a receipt and display it on your dash. This is in no way made clear by signage.

Pros: Excellent food, Clean, Lots of selection
Cons: Service, Pricey drinks, Parking
Iszlette
Iszlette
  • herbivore

Great dim sum

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

I was a little surprised not to see dim sum carts (you order dim sum off of the menu here like everything else), but it was worth the wait. Very friendly staff and yummy food. The joong (sticky rice with veg sausage wrapped in a bamboo leaf) was amazing, as were the watercress dumplings.

Pros: spacious and clean, friendly staff, great selection
Cons: long wait if ordering dim sum. (regular dishes com
Vegan Goddess
Vegan Goddess

very good

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2010

Good tasting food. Large portions. Nice service. Reasonable prices. Also, have some exotic type items. Definitely check out the place

soysass
soysass
  • raw

Happy Buddha Content Belly

3 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2009

I was excited to find this place after sitting through a yum cha with my family. After gulping down the copious amounts of tea I usually consume when I must suffer with an empty plate at the table, my yeh yeh(grandfather) surprised me with a trip to here! I always feel so ecstatic when I visit a place that is totally vegan! Going in the atmosphere was pretty hip and modern. I got some take out so my perspective on the food is a little biased because I didn't eat it until the next day. First off, the dim sum. There were only three options :(. I got the cha siu bao ( bbq veg pork in steamed bun) It was pretty delicious, could probably fool my picky carnivorous mom if I hadn't devoured it all. I got some sticky rice. Tasted too much of shitake mushrooms (may or may not be bad for some of you!) They had a lunch box special, I choose the veg. meat with broccoli. UGH. it was flavorless, it tasted like an oily piece of fried and unseasoned seitan! It came with a soup. I don't know if it was supposed to taste like watered down water with cabbage(?) but it had no flavor. Maybe it was supposed to cleanse the palate so the next dish's flavors could exploded? The Cha Siu was pretty good, and the veg sesame chicken was awesome! Tasted just as good as Buddha Bodai's! You can't beat the prices, they were way cheaper than BB, but BB still has the top chamber in my heart! The quality isn't as good here and neither is the selection, but I'll try it again next time I come. Also for anyone having problems with the service. It's in chinatown, and usually things move a lot faster and smoother when it's conducted in Chinese! I'm not saying that makes it anymore acceptable of the treatment people have gotten or trying to restrict anyone from going, but it's just a warning of what you might face if you expect your experience to be based off of everyone's reviews!

Pros: Healthy, good value
Cons: greasy, some bland food
A.Z.P.
A.Z.P.

Best KOSHER Chinese in New york City

5 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2008

Sadly I only visited this place right before I left New York, because it is wildly good and im aching to go back. The Sesame Eel it out of this world AWESOME! It has an amazing flavor and a texture you can eat all day. The crispy tofu was not really our thing, but it was well made and i can see some people liking it. The vege roast meat appetizer is almost identical to Buddha Bodai, but slightly more pungent and flavorful. All in all we had a great experience here. The service was friendly and quick the restaurant is large and spread out with alot of personal space. While I would say this is not the most authentic or healthiest Chinese food in the city, it is really quite good and it is definitely a step above the queens branch of Buddha Bodai, which has become complacent and sometimes nasty with their service as the quality of their dishes has gone down and gotten greasier. This place is also a few dollars cheaper than Buddha Bodai and is Kosher too! If you are coming from kew garden hills and looking for kosher chinese, I recommend driving the extra mile past Buddha Bodai to happy Buddha, where you will certainly have a happy and delicious dining experience. But no matter where you are coming from get ready for happy buddha to tantalize our tastebuds!

Pros: Delicious, affordable, and kosher too!, very nice/helpful staff, very relaxed spread out atmosphere
Cons: Bad location in terms of traffic, Tough parking but the restaurant, may have spaces in their garage
nikkivic
nikkivic

Vegetarian Dim sum- mmmmmm.....

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2008

When I became vegetarian, I didn't know the possibilities out there. This quaint buddhist restaurant offers serene setting for dining and as many substitue options as possible; anywhere from veggie duck, shark fin, eel, pork and seafood that you could ask for (within limits of Chinese cuisine).
Its simplistic environment gives it that modern touch that allows comfortable dining. I recommend dining at this restaurant from 11-3pm when dim sum is available. Must tries are their veggie chicken bun, veggie beef rice roll and different veggie shiu mais. For those who bring meat eaters, the best entree would be their sesame chicken dish. Some can hardly tell the difference between the real thing. Try their juice boosters like mighty mango, antioxidant berry drinks, and pomegranate combos. House pineapple fried rice is a common entree request as well as their crispy nugget appetizers. Vegan cheesecakes are "ok", alittle hard for me, but I leave those to make that review for themselves.
So if you're ever in Flushing, Queens (a mini replica of chinatown) I would recommend checking this place out. Its right in the heart of main st and easy access to the 7train.

tikigirl76
tikigirl76

Unhappy Buddha

2 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2008

Okay, so this is a revision of a review I had written about HB a couple of months ago. While the food is very good, the service is AWFUL. Think waiting for an hour (for your appetizer) while people who were seated well after you are already eating their main courses!! And forget trying to ask your server for help-they say "sorry" and slink away from your table. They finally asked if we were upset when we walked out- UGH!! Skip HB and save yourself the aggravation. The food is only good if you get to eat it.

Cons: horrible service
Tom
Tom

Very nice..

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2007

I really enjoy having Happy Buddha as an option when visiting Queens, and go there often. The staff is always friendly and the environment relaxing, a lovely refuge from the Flushing madness. Their vegi-chiken & broccoli dish is outstanding !

Dear Owner and Manager of Happy Buddha: