CLOSED: Happy Buddha

This Vietnamese restaurant is mostly vegan. Uses butter on noodles. JULY 2013 Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Vietnamese

First Review by lneff
lilblackcat
lilblackcat

Fantastic!!

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

Wonderful, friendly staff. Vegetarian, vegan, and meat dishes. Have tried wonton soup, asparagus soup, curried rice, noodle dishes, and fried wonton! No meat in any of the dishes we ate. It is all very fresh, delicious, and moderately priced. Very soothing, quiet, calm atmosphere. The fried wontons are becoming famous among people we know. Placed an order to go to take with us for the next day. You can eat a lot and not feel overstuffed. We felt great after eating there, like we just fed our bodies something it wanted for a long time.

Pros: excellent food, healthy, soothing atmosphere
Cons: small - but who cares?
hungrig
hungrig

Yum!

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

So nice to see more and more options coming to the far NW suburbs. I absolutely love their 'chicken' fried rice, and it's huge portion. Wonderful soups and appetizers, try the hot and sour! The only thing I haven't liked so far was their lemongrass chicken.

Unfortunately they also serve a few real meat dishes now. The place is usually pretty empty. If that's what it takes to keep them in business I will deal with it. The prices are very reasonable and the staff is very friendly!

Side-note:
Also nice is that a minute or two away at the County Line and Barrington Rd. intersection there is an ice cream shop (Kaleidoscoops) with two vegan options. Last time I was there they had dreamsicle and chocolate. It has always been excellent except for one time when the tub was almost empty. It tasted old and I think it may have had some freezer-burn or had melted and refrozen at one point.

Pros: value, variety, friendly staff
Cons: now serving meat
btbryan
btbryan

Hidden Gem

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2011

My husband and I found this place through a coupon offer book. We had the steamed veggie rolls which were wonderful and a nice surprise to have celephane (sp?) wrap noodles hot instead of cold. I have the asparagus soup which was very light broth, not cream, nice taste with out over powering. Their faux meats are AMAZING!!!!! I had the veggie soy shrimp and i swear it was like the real thing. my husband had the soy-chicken and the taste and texture were perfect! the ladies that own the place are very nice and service was personable. there are 11 tables so not very big but they can acomodate 44 seated with the tables that were there. The prices were inexpensive and the food quality was exemplory!! Definitely will go back time and time again!

Pros: price, food quality, friendly staff
lneff
lneff

Vietnamese Vegetarian

4 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2011

It's surprising to find this vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant tucked away on Northwest Highway in Barrington. My husband, 2 year old daughter and I (all vegetarian) live in Chicago and were visiting my mom, who lives in the area, and we're so glad we did! In fact, I wish they were downtown so we could go more often. The staff are super friendly and the food is very good. I especially recommend the egg rolls, the hot and sour soup (a bit spicy), curry fried rice, and the fried noodle dishes (combination and chicken ones were both good). The pho was also good (better than some I had in Hanoi) though it's not quite as flavorful as the pho from Lan Cafe, our favorite vegan Vietnamese place in NYC. Overall, a really good find. We'll be back!

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Happy Buddha: