Vegetarian restaurant established since the 1980s. Features Gujarati style Indian cooking. Vegans to specify. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian
72-74 North Street (near Briggate)
Leeds, England LS2 7PN
+44-0113-2444408

Mon-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 6:30pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-2:00pm

First Review by Stevie
Kwan Yin
Kwan Yin

Uncomparably Indian - a really lovely place

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2014

The first surprise was the nice decoration as lonely planet had called it quite unassuming or plain - which it isn't.

The menu offered a lot of specialities which are otherwise hard to come by, or only in cook-books but nor in restaurants in Europe.

Everything we tried was tasty, delicious, and let us look for what came next. The staff was charming, and the prices are cheap, compared to the quality of the food.

Whenever at Leeds, I'll make sure to be able to go there again.

Pros: Authentic and creative menu, Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff, and friendly prices
Cons: None., Or if: Can't it be wholly vegan?
Choleracosmic
Choleracosmic

Good but be aware of the spice

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2014

Hansa's is one of my favourite place in Leeds. I have been here for 2 years and a half and I've been eating there many times. It is always a good choice to make meat eater friends enjoy a good veggie or vegan meal. I love the food and the people there are very kind. Only tiny tiny downside is that sometimes it is very spicy. But do not fear as you can always ask them for something less spicy. I would recommend telling them right away if you can't deal with spice! One of my german friend can really not deal with spice and she couldn't eat her meal.... It was suppose to not be spicy. She enjoyed the desert and something like 4 lassis though :)

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Beautiful restaurant
Cons: Too spicy sometimes, A bit pricy
deadpledge
deadpledge

Hansa's Down Great Food!

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2014

Just visited this superb restaurant for the first time after hearing some glowing recommendations from a friend. As already stated this is not your ordinary Indian restaurant. The cuisine here is specifically Gujarati cooking so if you you're used to the normal selection of curries then you will find them missing from this menu. However what I can say is that you will not be disappointed. The food here is immaculately prepared and bursting with flavour. I went here with my brother (a meat eater) and even he was impressed with the cuisine on offer.

For starter I got the spice bomb, which was superb - a spicy masala mixture sandwiched between two potato pieces then deep fried in a batter, whilst my brother got the Muthiya - grated cabbage and gram-flour mixture, tempered with mustard and sesame seeds, served with red pepper chutney... very nice indeed.

For main I got the Saag Paneer curry, with my brother getting the Channa curry, both of which were delicious. Hansa's is definitely worth a visit and you can see why it has won many awards, so check it out if you get the chance.

Updated from previous review on Monday April 14, 2014

Pros: Great Tasting Food, Great Selection, Reasonably priced

Marked
Marked

Gujarati Goodness

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

Hansa's is a must for anyone who is finding the usual mixed vegetable madras/korma/jalfrezi offerings a little dull.
This isn't a sterotypically 'English' Indian restaurant. The menu is from the Gujarat region of India where food is traditionally vegetarian. Of special note is the Chilli Paneer, maybe a little too hot for some, but the taste is well worth the heat.
The staff and atmosphere are just right and, although a little pricey, the food is still great value.

Hansa's is one of our 'go to' restaurants when we have visitors and it hasn't let us down yet.

Updated from previous review on Friday July 19, 2013

Pros: Gujarati cuisine, Vegan options, Consistent experience
hack_man
hack_man

One of my Favourites

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2012

Quite simply, this is my favourite vegetarian Indian restaurant. Don't go expecting to be served the typical fayre of korma, jalfrezi, madras and balti etc. Hansas has it's own amazing range of unique dishes practically all of which are or can be vegan. Generally very friendly and young staff, but they can sometimes be a bit abrupt when the place is extremely busy. The proud owner Mrs Hansa also works here and can be seen serving food and chatting to guests.

There's nothing quite like a few beers in The Reliance pub next door followed by a wonderful meal at Hansas. We go to Leeds especially to visit this place and I can fully endorse it. We visit at least twice a year returning with non-vegetarian friends who we introduced to Hansas some years ago and would never consider going anywhere else now. I would suggest the 'spice bomb' to start followed by the Bhaji Paneer (with potato instead of cheese for vegan) accompanied with chapatis and rice. From experience I can also recommend the highly filling Thali at only £11.50 per person or the substantial banquet at £13.50pp. If you also happen to be in Leeds on a Sunday then go no further than Hansas as they do a fabulous eat as much as you want buffet for around £10 per person served between 12-2pm.

Fair enough, if you're after a traditional curry then go elsewhere. There are many excellent Indian restaurants in Leeds particularly in Chapel Town as well as places like Akbars in the City Centre which does have a very good vegetarian section. Hansas is Gujarati, so expect something different, more inventive and equally as tasty.

Pros: food, organic wine, culture
Cons: can be expensive, young staff
ViolaineB
ViolaineB
  • raw

good but too expensive...

2 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2012

Dosai are not meant to be like that... and thinking it costs 50 p to eat it in india and pay at least 10 times more, and knowing how to prepare it ( just a lentil and rice fermented paste, people!) reveals how pricey it is, or rather shouldn't be...
Very nice staff indeed, nice idea, nice place, nice concept... but a little too pricey...

Pros: nice staff, nice hansa's cookery book
Cons: too expensive
haridasthakur.das
haridasthakur.das

Spicing

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2011

I found the spicing not to my personal liking. I went to Hansa's with my brother in 2002. She is a great cook but I find Chili difficult to handle and certain types of spicing combinations are not to my personal liking. Great ambience and this restaurant should be supported.

Pros: ambience
Cons: spicy
CarrotFace
CarrotFace

Awesome!

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2011

Hansa's is a wonderful restaurant:family run, world-class original vegetarian food which is not the standard Indian fare, but one of a kind. It's tasty, friendly, homey and quite affordable given the quality of the food. Hansa is always present herself, looking after the food and the guests. She has two recipe books out, and these are well worth having. A lovely place which we are lucky to have in Leeds.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, family restaurant
itsmeagain
itsmeagain

small portions

2 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2011

Small portions, fiery food and its expensive also.A biot disappointing is what i am saying.Should be only half the price that it actually is i guess.

Pros: fiery food
Cons: tiny servings, pricey
aghiaanna
aghiaanna

Bir disappointing

2 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2010

It may be because we recently came back from Ahmedabad in India where the vegetarian curry's were so very tasty with different flavours that my partner and I were rather disappointed with the food at Hansa's. First of all let me say say that everything we ate here was fresh and edible and we loved the fact that there was no meat anywhere on the menu. The waitress was pleasant and the restaurant itself was clean if a little dated. However, the food was nothing special and the portion sizes were much smaller than any of the Indian restaurant's we have been to recently. Maybe we ordered the wrong dishes on the night but we expected different tastes and what we got were dishes that all were much of a muchness the starters in particular.

Pros: all vegetarian/vegan, friendly staff
Cons: very small portions, quite expensive, same flavours in dishes
DonnaC
DonnaC

Wonderful restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

Love this restaurant. The food is delicious and it's a friendly smart restaurant. Great choice of dishes, including very good choice of vegan starters, mains, sides and desserts. The tahali is a good option to sample a good range of different dishes but you need to be hungry as the dish is very plentiful. The price is reasonable for the standard of food. There is a great bar next door called the Reliance if you fancy a pre dinner drink,they serve a great range of continental and vegan lagers and they provide soya milk for tea/ coffee.

Pros: great food, great vegan choice, lovely restaurant
Kevster
Kevster

Decent food.

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2010

I've been going to Hansa's on and off over the past five years, and have found it to be a decent restaurant serving traditional vegetarian dishes.

There's a thali that can be made vegan for £9.99 and is tasty and very filling. The spice bomb is definitely worth a try, and the other dishes on the menu provide a wide variety. If you're after a considerately prepared Indian meal this is the place to go in Leeds.

The Sunday buffet is also pretty good, it's alright for vegans, and they'll make some puris for you if you ask. Can be a bit samey though.

Pros: Good variety for vegans, Individually prepared dishes, Attentive service
Cons: Sunday buffet can be a bit samey.
Roubiere
Roubiere

Disappointing

3 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2009

I've been to Hansa'a twice now and I have to admit that on both occasions I have been disappointed with the food. I found both curries we ordered very very hot to the point that they were not pleasant to eat - and it's not that I'm not used to spicy hot food, so not sure if we just had bad luck.
On the positive side: It's great that it's all veggie so lots of choice and although it's a little out of the way, it's next door to the Reliance, so handy for a drink before or after.

Pros: choice, next to Reliance
Cons: food disappointing, a little out of the way
chrissy
chrissy

Favourite restaurant by far

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

Hansa's is definately my favourite restaurant. The food is always delicious, there is a great ambience and the staff are always friendly, even when its packed (which it often is) booking is recommended on a weekend. My only problem with this restaurant is that I use it as a comparison everytime I eat elsewhere. If you have a chance buy Hansa's cookbook, it is worth it for the cabbage, potato and pea curry alone.

Pros: great atmosphere, delicious food, friendly staff
Cons: not open sunday evening
Alex82
Alex82

Fantastic Food

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2009

Lovely food, my favourite place to eat in Leeds. Lots of choice for vegans with the food served by friendly staff.

Pros: Good Food, Friendly staff, Large menu
natz
natz

Ok but you can get a better veg curry in Leeds!

3 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2008

We went to Hansa's Friday evening in May 08 having booked a table in advance. The website looked impressive and the restaurant was lovely. It was a bit out of the way to get to, away from the main Leeds bars. We took a carnivore friend with us who was happy to go veggie for the night. It was disappointing. The wine and service were lovely and the price very reasonable but the main curry dishes not impressive at all. I ordered a cauliflour curry, my vegan boyfriend ordered a runner bean curry and the meat eater went for a potato one. The cauliflour was very nice but the portion was too small. The runner bean and potato ones were not good at all - we wondered if a whole potato had even been used in the latter! We filled up on the lovely coriander rice and excellent fenugreek bread but we would have had preferred a hearty curry to go with! The carnivore is not giving up meat any time soon following this! I would recommend going to Akbar's (2 sites in Leeds, one on Greek Street) and choosing off their veggie list if you want a great curry in Leeds.

Pros: Excellent service, Great carbs
Cons: Small portions, out of the way
Stevie
Stevie

Hansa's, Leeds

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

This place has won awards as an Indian restaurant and it's not difficult to see why. I've eaten here a couple of times; Sensational. Great food giving my taste buds a real day out. Those little bread things melted in my mouth. No probs getting vegan food when discussing with the waiting staff. I went to the Sunday buffet with a non veg*n friend who was pretty aprehensive about what was in store. He loved it and this seems to have helped open his eyes a little.

Restricted opening at weekends (closed Saturday daytime and only open for lunch on Sundays). The choice is a bit limited in the Sunday kunch buffet.

I found the food here to be out of this world.

Pros: Sensational food, Sensational food, Sensational food
Cons: Restricted weekend hours

Dear Owner and Manager of Hansa's Restaurant: