One of the popular vegetarian restaurants in New York City, HanGawi's all vegan menu is based on mountain roots, greens, and grains that have comprised the staple diet of ancient Koreans. Enjoy vegetarian dumplings, tofu clay pot in ginger sauce, vermicelli delight, multi-grain rice, bean curd with kimchi and vegetables. Traditional teas, folk and zen music, decor filled with antiques and artifacts, a relaxed atmosphere of peace and refuge. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Korean, Gourmet, Take-out
12 E 32nd St (Midtown East, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10016
212-213-0077

Open Mon-Fri 12-2:45pm, 5-10:30pm, Sat 1-10:30pm, Sun 5-9:30pm.

First Review by Stevie
MHC48
MHC48

Atmosphere and food subdued

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

HanGwai can be a lovely, quiet, dark restaurant with a traditional subdued and relaxing setting. But be warned, it can get crowded and noisy with overly rushed service even early on a Saturday evening.

The food is a varied and tasty selection of nouveau Korean vegan dishes. It is quite expensive though for the food and portions and the tastes. For Korean food, it is on the bland side. You won't even get traditional banchan when you sit down.

If you go on a quiet night or afternoon it can be quite a lovely place to eat healthy food in a relaxing setting. Other times it's a rushed, bland expensive meal.

It's not uncommon but you should know that you will have to take your shoes off at the entrance before being seated which will be a low tables with recesses for your feet.

Pros: Different, Setting, Mostly imaginative Korean vegan
Cons: Expensive for what you get, Can be bland, Can be noisy, rushed.
slo0go
slo0go

Beautiful Atmosphere

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

HanGawi has a wonderful ambiance. Once you enter, you must remove your shoes and walk into the restaurant. The restaurant is covered in beautiful wood, and the ceilings are painted in what seem to be traditional Korean designs (don't know how authentic it is, but it certainly is beautiful!). There are no chairs. You essentially sit on the floor. The are spaces in the floor, under the low tables, to put your feet. It's a bit hard for me to describe, but it is quite a unique experience. Just going to the restaurant is a treat!

You can order a la carte or the pre fixe. I would definitely recommend ordering something with todok (some sort of mushroom). Many of the todok dishes are prepared in a way in which the texture closely resembles barbequed meat. It is quite delicious! I also really enjoyed the steamboat soup.

HanGawi is located in the heart of k-town, the strip of Korean bars and restaurants on 32nd Street. The sister restaurant, Franchia, is closeby, but the restaurants offer different menus, so you have to visit both! Franchia does not seem to offer any todok dishes, but their stone bowls, vegan sushi, and bibimbap are to die for. Both restaurants offered refreshing teas (both sweetened and unsweetened, cold and hot). Try the first picked for a real treat, if you like green tea.

Pros: Korean Tea, Todok, Ambiance
aner1kind17
aner1kind17

Best Korean food!!

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

I love Korean food, but understandably get a little nervous eating at Korean restaurants. Did you know kimchi is typically not vegetarian?? Eek! I'm just worried that fish essence is splashed throughout everything.

Worry not, this vegan Korean place is not only fish-free, but DELICIOUS! They were out of the fruit wines, but we enjoyed the kale broccoli salad (it was ok), the pumpkin pancakes (amazing), and the Avocado bibimbap (heavenly!).

The ambiance is amazing too - you have to take off your shoes and sit on the floor (they conveniently cut a hole in the floor so you are still sitting western style, but with appearance of sitting Korean style). Also our waiter was hilarious and I gave him a big tip.

I loved the experience of eating here! This place will set you back a pretty penny though, so maybe more appropriate for a special occasion. Worth it though!

Pros: Delicious Korean food and menu, Friendly waitstaff, Wonderful ambience
Cons: Pricey
Gyan Penrose-Kafka
Gyan Penrose-Kafka

Wow!

5 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2014

Excellent food, lots of variety and great staff.
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 12, 2014

Thinking back to my recent trip to NYC and HanGawi, I must say that the experience at this restaurant was the highlight of my time in the city.

From the presentation of the food to the attentiveness of the staff to the wonderful diversity of flavors, textures and aromas, HanGawi satisfied my every need.

My partner and I each ordered the Emperor's Tasting Menu, which consisted of multiple courses, with two different items for both the starter and the appetizer, an entré and dessert. While each of the portions was small, cummulatively, everything added up to a feeling of satiety, and a little bit left of the entré to take for later.

While the food very flavorful, it lacked the hotness I prefer, but they had an excellent homemade chili oil that added the right amount of kick.

Pros: Variety of flavors, Attentive staff, Ambience
Cons: Pricy
ParlaDharma
ParlaDharma

Simply bliss!

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

The teas, the kimchi, dumplings, atmosphere, everything about this place is a class act. Haven't had a bad meal here.

sirhin
sirhin

Still Good but Pricey

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

I first visited Hangawi in Seoul. I lived there teaching English and as a vegetarian in Korea (who doesn't eat onion and garlic), this place was heaven. They also had the option of preparing everything without onion and garlic, as per the dietary restrictions of some Buddhists. Unfortunately, Hangawi in NYC does not offer this so our choices were limited, which seriously irked me. I had a huge craving for Kimchi Jjigae and I didn't want to make kimchi from scratch to make my own because then I would have to wait even longer. That was my major complaint, but I suppose opening in a Western city does involve some sacrifices to appeal to the locals. I had called ahead to make a reservation and I told the girl that we didn't eat onion or garlic. Her response was that we tell our waiter once we got there.

I originally wanted to come on Christmas, but they only offered the special Prix Fixe menu at $65 per person. I paid almost that much for a 15 course meal in Hangawi Korea... I wasn't going to pay that amount for only 7 courses. Plus, kimchi jjigae wasn't on the set course menu. I ended up going the day after for lunch. We arrived there right when it opened but it quickly filled up. We got the two lunch set menus and it was still delicious. They managed to make everything without onion and garlic and switched out the gochujang for the dolsot bibimbap with soy sauce and gochugaru instead. The thing was that they offered a smaller amount of side dishes (only 4) with the entree, of which we could only eat one (the spinach and mushroom). Fortunately, they gave us another small side of the S&M, but it would have been nice to just give us 4 sides of that, since we couldn't eat the others. However, the porridge was good and so was the ginseng salad (light, different, and refreshing). The dessert was a little disappointing - soy ice cream. I wanted something more Korean, but I suppose. It was still good - just not all that authentic. Not like ginseng salad is authentically Korean, but at least it was Korean themed.

All in all, still delicious and visually pleasing, though the options are less. The staff is helpful to an extent and still as expensive (more so) as always. A good place for a special occasion, but note that the portions are on the smaller side. I felt "just right" but I definitely could have eaten more (it may be because it was for lunch, but I remember being incredibly STUFFED in Seoul).

Pros: delicious & beautiful food, great decor/atmosphere
Cons: portions on the slightly smaller side, not as "authentic", no 100% onion/garlic free menu option
Tjogrady2014
Tjogrady2014

Incredible

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2013

Love the atmosphere, love the decor, love the service, love the food

If disabled or older, seating may be a challenge

Pros: Food, Service, Atmosphere
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

excellent prix fixe menu

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

We joined another couple for dinner here and we were all impressed. The decor is lovely as is the service. You leave your shoes at the door and proceed into the dining area. The seating is on the floor with space cut out for your legs underneath. I had the lychee wine and the guys shared an apple sake that was actually served inside apples. Two of us opted for the prix fixe menu (2 is the minimum), which was a good value considering the number of courses that came with it. The rest of the menu is large and the two other people selected the stuffed shiitakes, dumpling soup, sizzling mushrooms and a bibimbap bowl. All the food was excellent, especially the mushroom ones as well as the kale rolls on the prix fixe. It was one of our most enjoyable meals during our trip to NYC.

Pros: excellent food, great atmosphere, good service
ronitw
ronitw

A Must in NY

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

Love the Prix Fixe - more and more beautiful and superb items are brought to the table for our complete enjoyment. With sake to compliment the meal, this is an amazing culinary experience. Add the great service, the beauty of the place and the uniforms of the waiters for a perfect evening.

Pros: Great food, Beautiful environment, Great service
krissimi
krissimi

I have flown to NY just to eat here...

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

It's one of those gems I go to anytime I visit NYC. I order the Emperor's Tasting Menu Prix Fixe. I wish something like this was in Toronto. It's delicious and I LOVE the space. The last time I flew to NYC was for my birthday a couple years ago. I spent 24 hours in NYC with the main purpose to eat at HanGawi. I hope they are maintaining their awesome for when I visit again. I've been a few times already...

Pros: food and drink, atmosphere and service, location
Cons: i wish there was a HanGawi in Toronto
Oslo
Oslo

downhill

3 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

Hangawi used to be my favorite restaurant. The last couple times I've been there the food has been ok, not amazing like it used to be. Same price though.

oboejoe
oboejoe

Fake Korean

2 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2011

This place was a great disappointment as a dinner destination for my family. I've eaten in hundreds of Korean restaurants both in the states and in Korea including Korean vegetarian restaurants. Most of the vegetarian places in Korea are Buddhist restaurants with a wide variety of seasonal vegetables. A typical place would have a number of wild greens (mountain greens), various root plants, and a many styles of mushrooms with rice and beans. The typical Korean meal will have many small dishes with a wide variety of tastes from bitter to sweet, hot and spicy with a highly balanced styles. Hangawi, seductive to the average Westerner because of its decor, is a total fake! The food is bland, fried and not prepared with any sense of the depth of style in Korean cooking. This place lacks the total essence of spices, variety, and healthy cooking. I shake my head in disbelief that the place even failed at making a good bowl of rice! The desert ended up being an off-the-shelf, low quality American pudding. Shame, Shame, Shame. There are many good Korean restaurants on 32nd Street in NYC providing a wide variety of styles. Without hesitation I can say this is the worst Korean place I've eaten in.

Cons: Bad food, No flavors, Not Korean
Danie
Danie

awesome korean joint

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2011

nice ambiance, feels so zen in there. customers are required to remove their shoes before going in, staff are quite friendly, food is awesome!! they've got organic juices and wine as well, only thing is that its a little expensive, but this is definitely one of my favorite restaurants in NY

Pros: awesome food, nice ambiance, friendly staff
Cons: price is a little high
grassfield
grassfield

Delicious and unique dining experience

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2011

I recently went here with a friend. The ambiance is very nice. You're required to take off your shoes before being seated a low, traditional table. If you have any sort of leg problem the low seated tables might not work for you. We started with the spicy kimchi pancakes and veg dumplings. Both were very tasty. For main courses we had the avocado bowl and the spicy rice cakes. Both were excellent. The ginger tea is fantastic too. I would recommend both the wine sampler and the saki sampler. The service is good but could be improved a little (they're very nice but a little slow). The price is a bit high, more along the lines of fine dining prices.

Pros: atmostphere, yummy, good drinks
Cons: price, slow service
vegified
vegified

excellent!

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

this place is amazing. i've been raving about it for years. the food is all out-of-this-world great! my favorite was a dish in the clay pot with rice and veggies. so good! the service was great. my only problem is i can't convince my parents to come back because they don't like sitting on the floor. but it wouldn't be the same if we were at tables. i really love this place.

chorte23
chorte23

Try the Stone Bowl

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

A vegetarian friend recommended this restaurant, and I have been back multiple times since. Everything I've tried on the menu has been delicious. I particularly like the avocado stone bowl, though the spicy rice cakes and seasonal pumpkin pancakes are also excellent. The only downside is that it is pricey (though maybe not for NYC).

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine
Cons: expensive
lindamink
lindamink

A wonderful experience from start to finish

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2010

I discovered Hangawi completely by accident by wandering in off the street when visiting a client in NYC one day. As the token vegetarian, I was scanning meals on the doors of each restaurant to make sure I had a meal to eat. This one fit the bill, and I didn't even know what wonders I would discover inside! The decor takes you away from being in a city, with the traditional custom of removing your shoes at the door. Once inside, you are lead to sit at a table where your legs disappear under the floor. I loved it here so much I have been back another time with my husband so he could believe what I was gushing about - and now he's a believer!!

The food choices are comprised of many root and mushroom vegetables. I like the stone pot meals cooked with some kim chee. We ordered the prix fixe meal which came with multiple rounds of wonderful flavors. In addition we chose to have a pot of some barely alcoholic drink. The price was about $70 pp at the end of the meal - which seemed very high priced to me (being NOT from NYC), but the experience was well worth it. I have also been here for lunch, and the price was much more reasonable during lunch hours.

I highly recommend this place for a unique vegan experience!! If you call ahead for reservations, try to get a table far away from the bathroom (which is located in the central area of the room).

Pros: delicious, unique, fun
Cons: expensive
jbuuck
jbuuck

Delicious Food and Great Service

5 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2010

We love this restaurant. The food is fantastic, elegant, and beautifully plated. The service is warm without being too casual and formal without being pretentious. I would love to go there again and again and again.

Pros: excellent food, extensive menu, creative drinks
jennifermmupton
jennifermmupton

one of the very best restaurants in NY

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

I can't say how much I love HanGawi. I crave it constantly and I go every time I am in town ... sometimes twice! The tofu stone bowl is out of this world and, unfortunately or fortunately, I get it every time I am there so I can't say much about the other main dishes. I love the hangawi salad and the stuffed shiitake mushrooms are so yummy. A beautiful restaurant with a fantastic atmosphere and very good service. One of the two best (vegan) restaurants in NY. Make sure you make a reservation.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 14, 2010

t-bone123456
t-bone123456

Great place for a date/meeting

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2010

Beautiful food. Very delicate. Expensive-ish. Worth it. Feels like you are in a fancy eating den in Korea.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: pricey
bonhommesoleil
bonhommesoleil

Amazing experience

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2010

Hangawi is one of the most beautiful restaurants you will find. Traditional decor and service make for a unique dining experience. The food is delicious, especially the appetizers. Very nice cocktails too. Great place to take someone to impress!

catzie
catzie

Good but pricy

3 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2010

I love the decoration and tables. The ginger salad was magnificent. I like the spicy hot bowl rice. It was very tasty and indeed hot. Cons are the fact that he waiter was a bit hurried though with the service and if they could give some more reasonable prices, I would come here more often.

Pros: Food, Decoration
Cons: Service, Prices
Casey42
Casey42

Can't wait to go back

5 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2010

My boyfriend and I loved this place! I was hesitant to go based on some reviews I read that the food was bland, but I didn't find that to be true at all. We ordered the pre fixe menu and it was an excellent value. It was several delicious courses, one more outstanding than the next.
The food vegetable based rather than centered around fake meat, which was a nice change. The taste of many of the dishes was light on the palate, but by no means bland.
We are literally waiting for the next warm day so we can take the path in and eat here again.

Pros: great food, attentive service, beautiful atmosphere
negnog
negnog

wow.

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

the atmosphere is outstanding, details exquisite...food is creative, plated beautiful and very tasty...try the mountain root vegetables, they are incredible! a bit overpriced, but worth it. discretion between lunch hours online and at restaurant...we went there for lunch menu, but our waiter insisted we were there after lunch was over...

condekedar
condekedar

Cool, unusual, delicious

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2008

For ambience and novelty-value alone, Hangawi stands apart. It's a completely different dining experience, with submerged seating (sans shoes). I found the prices to be low considering the atmosphere and the unusual nature of the food (vegan Korean joints aren't exactly common). All of the dishes were delicious, from the mushroom pancakes to the tofu stone pot. Their vegan cheesecake was also delectable. This is a great place to take a date or to simply eat healthy, tasty food in large portions.

Pros: Ambience, Prices, Unusual food
navski
navski

some of the best vegan food in town

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2008

A meal at HanGawi is an utterly refreshing experience. Food is delicious, atmosphere is beautiful, service is perfect. It's not cheap, but for that special dinner this is absolutely beautiful.

Pros: delicious food, beautiful atmosphere, perfect service
Cons: it's not cheap
vegantraveler
vegantraveler

So much Fun!!

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2008

I love Korean and this was truly a treat. I like how the restaurant was so traditional and authentic. Taking off my shoes kinda scared me at first but its actually really clean.. no foot fungus..j/k. I did not see Gwyneth Paltrow there but the food was so fab so I didn't notice. Totally go here if you are in NYC!! Rock on!

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

wear nice socks!

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

This is a shoe's off hang your feet down into the floor place. Fun for large groups. Definitely go for the clay pot! Best thing on the menu.

kymshin
kymshin

My favorit place

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2007

i luv this damn place. the food is great the service is excellent, and the atmosphere is really great. the only down fall is that there offiliated with Franchia. other than that this is the place to take a date or family members too. :)

Pros: The food is the best, the people are nice, its traditional
Cons: i don't work there
myboyfriendisdead
myboyfriendisdead

Great Food, Poor Service

3 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2007

The food here is good, but the service was not the best. Additionally they will sit you right next to another table even if the whole place is empty. I do not know if that bothers you or not, but when we asked to be moved to another table they refused.

Pros: exellent food
Cons: poor service
will-travel-for-food
will-travel-for-food

My best restaurant experience EVER!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2007

HanGawi is too amazing for words. We had reservations for dinner on a Saturday evening, and our meal was out of this world. We both ordered the seven-course prix fixe Emperor's Meal with Steamboat Soup ($37.95 per person). We also ordered a bottle of delicious Korean raspberry wine. Each course was even more delicious and more beautifully presented than the previous one. Our waiter was friendly and sweet, and he took the time to explain the details and ingredients in each course to us. The flavors were all wonderful. There was not one dish that we did not absolutely love! Also, the visual presentation and carefully chosen contrasts of food temperatures and textures made for an all-around exquisite meal. I cannot wait to go back to HanGawi. I wish we lived more closely to it!

Pros: heavenly food, soothing interior, friendly waitstaff
cassius
cassius

Yum!

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2007

My fiance took me here for my birthday. Lovely ambiance. The food was really great. You have to be willing to try different things. We chose the prix fixe option and ate some wonderful dishes we never would've picked on our own. Great for dates!

Pros: pretty, tasty, great service
Cons: lots of fried dishes
bullcityveg
bullcityveg

Pretty sweet

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2007

I went here for my birthday with my family. The restaurant is really cool...you take off your shoes and sit at floor level (but with cut outs so it's okay for people with bad backs). The food was pretty good...particularly the mushroom dish. However, my brother was not particularly excited by root vegetables he'd never heard of. Although the food was good, it was hard to order without knowing what things were.

Pros: Atmosphere, different foods
Cons: Expensive, unappealing to picky eat
Stevie
Stevie

Hangawi, NYC

4 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2006

Stylish Korean decor, relaxing atmo, interesting menu. I'd love to go back to check it out more. I'm sure anyone with a strict budget to manage to eat in less expensive places.

Pros: Nice decor, Interesting menu
Cons: Not for those on a budget

Dear Owner and Manager of HanGawi:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the New York City page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/07/08