Serves meat, veg options available. All vegetarian except for fish. Casual atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
2311 W North Ave (North & Western)
Chicago, Illinois 60647
773-384-9546

First Review by katieh
Veggie46
Veggie46

great little bar

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

Lots of yummy vegan options. Great beer on tap. Kind of a small place, but that's okay.

JulieV
JulieV

I lurve Handlebar!

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

I love love love Handlebar! I wish I lived closer so I could go more than once every couple of months! Sooooo delicious! We love the Plantains Maduro, tofu diablo, the fried avocado tacos, french toast, biscuits and gravy, and side collard greens! There are tons of other delicious things there too. We also love their vegan ranch and in house made giardiniera, SOOOO GOOD! They have great mixed drink and beer selections too! In the warm weather they have a wonderful patio out back. Check it out!!!!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 21, 2009

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, excellent beer
Cons: usually have a small wait, noisy
xsamx
xsamx

It's Portland in Chicago!

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2012

This place totally reminds me of Portland, and in a good way: hipsters everywhere, crowded, loud, and tons of awesome vegan food!

I had the french toast and biscuits and gravy (both veganizable) - totally badass. Other stuff there looked super good too but I could only eat so much. Their Metropolis coffee was outstanding, too. Staff was friendly (hipster surprise!) and we had a nice seat at the bar even while the place was packed. It's often busy so be aware of that. Killer menu with tons of vegan options (not sure why they insist on serving fish...) and near some other cool stuff in Wicker Park too. Handlebar could be the new Pick Me up... (!)

Pros: vegan-friendly, deliciosu, great atmosphere
Cons: busy

Mcarlsonlane
Mcarlsonlane

Really good

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2012

Handlebar is a great veggie spot-the menu is mostly vegan and most vegetarian items can be made vegan.

Bezzybee2003
Bezzybee2003

Super find in Wicker Park

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2011

We recently stumbled upon this bar when we wanted some late night food in Wicker Park. I had remembered reading about this place as having vegan options. I cannot believe it took me this long to come here! I had a "chicken" ranch salad (all vegan) and it was delicious! My meat eater boyfriend enjoyed some vegan sandwich also. For dessert we had the blueberry hand pies and they were amazing. Definitely recommend Handlebar to others!

Pros: Hand Pies, Not to Busy, Patio
Cons: Staff not super attentive
antgirl
antgirl

Love this place

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

Handlebar may be one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago. I love the fried pickles with vegan ranch dipping sauce! The mash potatoes are vegan and most of the menu is vegan or can be made vegan. They also have some great cocktails. It is definitely a casual atmosphere and the back patio is great in the summer. The staff is great too... you have to love bike-riding punks and musicians.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Delicious comfort foods, Brunch menu
Cons: Doesn't open until 10am
rhymeswithtwee
rhymeswithtwee

fried pickles!

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2011

Best fried pickles I have ever had. Okay, I think I've only had them 3 places, but Handlebar's are the best! Love the buffalo 'chicken' wrap. I think the wrap is a better deal than the salad, personally. Awesome staff. Small but respectable beer menu.

Pros: many awesome options, great servers, good beer selection
Cons: serve seafood, loud, a bit pricey
lenabobena
lenabobena

Two Words: Biscuits, Gravy

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2011

I could never say enough good things about Handlebar... where to start. Cyclist friendly, easy to get to from the blue line, incredibly nice and attentive waitstaff, amazing food! If they have the specials, usually they are amazing, the fried pies are to freaking live for...

Try these things: BISCUITS AND GRAVY (the best, by far, vegan by default)... fried pickles and french fries w/vegan ranch dressing, and the buffalo "chicken" wrap. To be honest everything I've had here was at least good, if not awesome - not to mention the prices are fair and affordable.

Pros: Great Food, Very Kind Staff, Good Music
Cons: BUSY on weekends
b_fly1
b_fly1

Delicious!!!

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2009

I visited this place last night after reading all the great reviews on Happycow.com and boy did exceed my expectations. I had the Seitan Stuffed Tortellini and tasted the Spinach Salad (minus the goat cheese of course). So incredibly yummy. The waitstaff was also super nice. I will def be back. Oh and my nonvegan/nonvegetarian friend loved it too!!!

Pros: Many menu options, Nice atmosphere, Great staff
Cons: Yummy food, Very Clean, GO!!!
katie_b
katie_b

this would be rated a 5, except they serve fish

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2009

i love everything on the menu(except the fish)!! everytime i have gone to Handlebar everything has been perfectly delicious. It is hard to pick one thing to order because everything sounds awesome and then they have the specials. Plus even my carnivore-friends look forward to eating there...plus they have huge outdoor eating space in the summer!!

Pros: awesome food, good bar, huge outdoor patio
Cons: free bicycle parking, nachos, yep! there are no cons except the fish!!
jaml730
jaml730

Good for lunch

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2009

The BBQ seitan sandwich is soooo good! I stopped in for lunch and was surprised at how tasty the food was. It's a little too noisy and crowded for dinner but I'd go back for lunch anytime!

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Generous portions
Cons: Noisy, Good value
mollypitcher
mollypitcher

Good Vegan Bar Food

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2009

They have a good variety of vegan bar food--the bbq seitan sandwich is great (and huge), as are the fries. The Buffalo 'chicken' wrap is a little on the salty side, but still tastes good. Lots of good beer and other drink specials--I recommend the Saturday margarita (it comes in a pint glass), especially on a nice summer day sitting outside in their "beer garden." They also have brunch which is quite good. The vegan biscuits and gravy are tops on my list.

It does get a bit noisy and crowded on the weekends, but it is often worth the wait.

Pros: good food, big servings
Cons: can be noisy
yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

Dun dun, Seitaaaaaaan!

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

This a great Wicker Park spot if you don't feel like eating at Earwax or Sultan's. I've enjoyed every dish I've ever tried (my favorite probably being the BBQ seitan sandwich) and all of the sides are pretty amazing too. In addition, they have a well stocked bar of great micro-brews and lovely outdoor seating when it's warm enough. The service is generally decent/good but I've also been a bit bummed out a couple times with the wait staff after receiving attitude. Their demographic is generally young, hip, and yep, people that like bikes. Handlebar is a good spot and worth trying out at least once. FYI, it fills up quickly and can be a wait. Also it's been known to get noisy and cramped.

Pros: Great food!, Unique dishes., Great selection of booze.
Cons: The wait staff (sometimes)., Noisy & Cramped
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Great Vegan Options!

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2008

OK I've eaten here many times since the first time I came here and was compelled to re-review this place. I love this restaurant, as do my non-Vegan friends. I've had something different every time, I've had the Vegan stuffed ravioli [amazing], Vegan Breakfast Burrito [my favorite - and yes I dream about this one ;)], Vegan Mashed Potatoes, and the Vegan Buffalo Chicken Wrap [heaven - as everyone (including the carnivores) agreed]. They also have coffee here too. This is in a great location, the employees are VERY nice, and the decor is quite nice as well. This is among one of my Chicago favorites now, I highly recommend this one! [This place gets 5 cows from me, but it only lets me rate it at 4 since they have meat.]

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Ditto to the last reviewer!

Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

I finally made it over here and had a great server and outstanding food. Pretty much everything is available vegan. The place is very clean and nice, which is a fresh alternative to the other vegan friendly joints in the area ;) I will definitely make a point to go here again!

Pros: tons of vegan options
katieh
katieh

Fabulous food and atmosphere

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2007

I take every chance I get to eat at The Handlebar in Wicker Park. The food is excellent- delicious, well presented and best of all, affordable. The servers and knowledgeable, cool, and helpful. They also have excellent beer (and non-alcoholic) options. The atmosphere is laid back and dress can be casual since it is a popular bike messenger and Critical Mass spot.

Pros: excellent food, great prices, comfortable atmosphere
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Handlebar: