CLOSED: hamomile Garden Cafe

Bakery and tea bar only. Gluten free baked good also available. Reported closed to HappyCow. more-less

First Review by lipstickgranola
aklym
aklym

Great Food

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2010

While we enjoy taking trips out of town on the weekends, the downside is missing our weekly Saturday visit to Chamomile Garden Cafe. The soups and baked goods are simply wonderful.

TStephenson
TStephenson

response

5 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2010

Hi, I just thought I would respond to this review of our cafe. I appreciate your trip to our business and I'd like to give you some background on our shop. My mother and I have had our Tea Shop for over 10 years now and when we first moved to Marineland Village in Kennewick (moved from Richland in 2005) we had an area in the back of our shop where I sold tea drinks and fresh baked items to go. A few years went by and with many requests from customers for places to sit, we decided to take over the then empty store next door and expand our bakery. Our goal has always been to offer tea drinks to compliment our Tea Shop and offer a little treat to go with it - baked in house. Since we had so much room in the new area and since I was a vegetarian with limited places in town to visit, I thought I would try to offer a vegetarian lunch. We have never advertised (I'm not even sure how we got this listing on this website), we were just lucky to have people enjoy the meals and tell their friends. Yes, the lunch crowds did get overwhelming - especially since this was not the focus of our business. For the last 4 months we have offered vegetarian soups/breads on Fridays and Saturdays only. I have 3 large kettles and we make 3 soups (from scratch - not from a can). Once the soups are gone - we are out of lunch. We are a small family owned business and at this point we cannot afford to have many employees and still stay in business (take a look at the empty stores around the Marineland Village).

We never set out to be the Tri-Cities only vegetarian restaurant - we have always considered ourselves to be a tea cafe & bakery that happened to offer vegetarian/vegan options as a side. Again, we really appreciate our customers and hate to disappoint anyone, but we will have to make our business decisions based on our particular situation. Thank you for your feedback.

Guest
Guest

disappointing

2 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2010

This restaurant has so much potential, but continues to prove to be pretty much a complete disappointment. As the only 100% vegetarian restaurant in the Tri-Cities, lunch (the only meal served all day) was always PACKED! So packed that you would expect the owners to expand their hours and hire more people. Instead, when they become overwhelmed, they decide to cancel lunch for months at a time without warning. Apparently, their recipes are so sacred they cannot share them with any new employees, and making enough soup in the morning and teaching a new person how to make a pita pocket is an impossible concept.

This actually is a great little cafe when open. You can just never really know if they're going to have any food when you show up. If you want to give it a try, make sure you call first.

• TStephenson TStephenson