Serves meat, veg options available. Kosher sushi bar. Only meat served is fish, no dairy. Variety of vegan rolls. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
2801 W Howard (N California Ave)
Chicago, Illinois 60645
773-293-6904

Call for Hours

First Review by Skokie_mom

good kosher sushi

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2013

This place is great for Jews who keep kosher. I do eat sushi at non-kosher restaurants, but I love that I can order anything off the menu without scrutinizing the ingredients. I wonder if non-kosher customers ever wander in and wonder why there is no seafood (only faux shrimp and faux crab) and no eel, conch, or octopus. There is also no dairy, so none of the Americanized sushis with cream cheese.

The sushi selection is pretty good for vegetarians with 8 vegetarian "Yasai Maki Mono" which are simpler and cheaper rolls, and 10 veggie "Yasi Signature Maki" which are fancier rolls at double the price of the simpler rolls (due to the tempura, I think). More limited options for vegans, since all but 5 of the Mono rolls and all of the Maki rolls have tempura or deep fried breaded eggplant which I would expect use egg. (But I don't know for sure, so vegans should ask about that.)

However, I'm not a vegetarian and I love fish sushi. The menu seems wonderfully plentiful and diverse and creative to me, but that may be due to the fact that I am used to severe limits on what I can order at regular sushi restaurants due to kosher restrictions. I especially like Hamachi's black rice sushi rolls. We have liked all the rolls that we have tried. My son especially likes the "Super Seven" because he loves really spicy food. The vegetable tempura is pretty good as well. We haven't tried any of the cooked fish dishes because my family would rather eat sushi if given the option.

I have only gotten take-out and the seating is quite limited---about 3 or 4 booths, similar number of tables for two, plus the sushi bar. Also, from my limited experience, I think service might tend to be slow. The last time I picked up take-out, I was in the area and called in only about 10 minutes before arriving, but it seems like I waited another 20 minutes for my order. I think that's due to being a small place with a small staff. Next time I'll be sure to call ahead at least a half hour in advance as I think we have done in the past.

Note for non-Jews (or non-observant Jews): this restaurant is not open on Shabbat (Friday evening or all of Saturday, except maybe late Saturday nights in the winter) and is closed on a number of Jewish "yom tov" holidays (but is open for Hanukkah which is not the kind of holiday that forbids Jews from working) and Jewish fast days. So you might want to check that it is open before heading over.

Pros: kosher, plenty of vegetarian options, reasonable prices
Cons: fewer vegan options, closed on Friday nights and Sat

Dear Owner and Manager of Hamachi Sushi Bar: