Serves fish, veg options available. This tea house, located in the Ben Yehuda area, offers teas from all over the world. Has vegan pastries as well Indian dishes, breakfast and brunch all day. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, British, Western, Indian, Kosher, Non-veg
Now Open

Mon-Thu 9:00am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-9:00pm, 7:00am-2:00pm

First Review by A.Z.P.
A.Z.P.
A.Z.P.

Nice try, but needs to up their game

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2015

I'll start with the positives. It has an amazing location. It's in the center of town, but nestled perfectly in a quiet little culdesac. The TeaHouse is small and only has maybe 8 or 9 tables. The atmosphere is warm and intimate. Nice for a date or catching up with a friend. The place has charm. It has a little stage, nice music playing, its welcoming, and small things like the menu show they put a real effort and dedication into this place.

Unfortunately, neither the tea nor the food live up to the atmosphere. I tried a few teas, including a green tea and the blandest Chai I've ever had. The milk was stronger than the Chai. Honestly, if my palate was weaker I would have mistaken it for a weak cup of coffee.

Somehow the food is even less spectacular. I definitely give HalitaTea credit for attempting possibly the most exotic (but short) vegetarian menu in Jerusalem, but if you can't execute, don't try it. I recognize from going to other TeaHouses that food is secondary, but I was not impressed.

The Morroccan skewers had no flavor and no one wants to eat tofu without a sauce, no matter how you cook it. Lesson one of tofu is, it is only as good as the sauce you put it in. The portion was also not a 50 shekel portion (fortunately my fiancee doesn't eat alot). On the other hand, on a separate visit, a friend who does eat alot ordered the Indian Daal and was very disappointed. A 50 Shekel Entree should not come on an empty plate with a half filled small bowl in the middle of it. When I asked him about the flavor he responded "decent". The "East-West" used almost exclusively non-asian vegetables and firmed up my understanding that this place has no idea of what to do with, or how to cook, tofu. The Spring Salad advertised having blue cheese and seasonal fruitS in it. There weren't fruitS, there was fruit (more specifically a ton of apple) and the amount of blue cheese (which was pretty weak blue cheese if it was blue cheese) wouldn't have satisfied a mouse. In fairness, the salad was the only good sized portion I've had there.

I went back a second time hoping that the first night was an off night, but sadly it was more of the same. My recommendation to HalitaTea, is either cut the food and specialize on tea, make a simpler veg menu, or get new recipes. The tea also needs some work. It's a nice place for a quiet cup of tea, but definitely not for a big dinner. I really wanted to like this little TeaHouse and I hope its tea and food will improve with time.

Pros: Quaint and Charming Atmosphere, Very pleasant service
Cons: Food prices too high, Portions too small, Poorly cooked and flavorless

Dear Owner and Manager of Halita'tea Tea Room: