Gurkha Himalayan Kitchen

Serves meat, veg options available. Himalayan cuisine menu with several vegetarian suitable dishes, vegans can specify. Cozy space with free Wi-Fi. closed Monday Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Delivery, Take-out, Nepalese, Tibetan, Non-veg

Tue-Fri 11:30am-2:00pm, 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-2:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm

First Review by junebug61869

Delicious and fresh

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

This place is very reliable for vegans. I go there all time. My favourite dishes are:

> Veg momos (the pan fried ones coated with sauce)
> The mustard green dish
> The okra dish (bindhi, I believe)
> The Pulau rice (pardon the spelling)

The flavour pallet is reminiscence of indian cooking, but the difference is that the veg is not cooked down into a stew but are lightly cooked and remain crunchy. You also don't have those thick greasy curry sauces - it's more like lightly stir fried veg with fresh spices, quite good! Everything usually tastes fresh.

Pros: Fresh, Many options, Not overly heavy/greasy
Cons: Portions could be a little larger, No vegan dessert option, No 1-person dish w/assortments (thalis)

Quite a few vegan options there

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

Some of the best vegan dumplings I've ever had!

I've had quite a different experience at Gurkha than the previous reviewer.
I've eaten there maybe 4-5 times in the past year and the waitress there had absolutely no issue understanding what is vegan. She was aware enough to mention honey and even asked us if we ate soy, because she's had vegan customers in the past that didn't want to eat soy products either.

Their menu also identifies vegan options.

Pros: Dumplings! , Little patio in the back, Nice atmosphere

Vegans Beware

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

I went here yesterday and learned that the word "vegan" on the menu means no wheat or canola oil. Almost all of the items on the menu that are listed as being "vegan" contain one or several animal products. The staff will happily adjust menu items when they can to be completely free of animal products, but as a general rule anything that you order that's listed as "vegan" will not be.

Dear Owner and Manager of Gurkha Himalayan Kitchen: