Serves meat, veg options available. Creole restaurant in the French Quarter that has a daily vegetarian special and a Gumbo Z'Herbes. Usually both are vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Creole, Non-veg
630 St Peter St (Chartres St)
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
504-525-1486

First Review by necropalice
Hvasser
Hvasser

Gumbo...

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2014

The vegetarian Gumbo of the day was not very interesting, though it changes everyday we might just have been unlucky. The sides were very small and quite expensive. The quality was all right, but we won't be going back.

jesslovestrees
jesslovestrees

Limited but delicious vegan / veg options

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2014

I picked this restaurant because it was a place to get authentic NOLA food where a couple vegans could get food and the majority of our group (carnivores) could also find things they were excited about. Everyone was very satisfied with our food, and there are many dishes on teh menu that are a bargain ($10 or under). There were only 2 vegan options - black beans and rice, and a soup. We had both, and I thought they were delicious, very filling, and nutritious. If you want a place with a full menu of vegan options, look elsewhere - but this is a wonderful compromise and a good way to try some authentic food.

The restaurant itself is also very attractive, located in an old building in the french quarter with very high ceilings and plenty of charm.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, local food
Cons: few vegan options
AmeliaC
AmeliaC

An Authentic New Orleans meal vegan style!

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2014

After three very rough days in MS, I was anxious for my one day in NOLA, a city that I love but hadn't been to since we turned V. Using my trust HC app, I picked this place for lunch. Since I couldn't decide between the black beans and rice or the herb gumbo, my waitress suggested I have a cup of each. After making sure the bread was vegan, we were presented with a freshly baked, warm, crusty loaf of French bread that was everything a proper French bread should be. When my meal arrived, (my mom has crab cakes, so good for omnis), the black beans were so delicious I had to slow myself down! Slow cooked with true Creole spices and peppers, presented beautifully- I almost bought the cookbook just to get the recipe! The Gumbo was very good as well- not quite as awesome as the black beans but still amazing. Collard greens, onions, slight heat-- vegans, the is where you need to eat when you want to have a true gumbo experience in Nawlins!!!!

thelittlemeremaid
thelittlemeremaid

Amazing!

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

I visited here with my mom while in New Orleans, and we both had the vegetarian special of the day: white beans and rice. We also tried the Gumbo Z'Herbes. Both were very good! The white beans and rice were cooked and spiced wonderfully, and the gumbo was delicious. I would definitely come back!

Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Am I missing something?

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

We decided to go here so we could at least try the vegan equivalent of this southern dish....but am I missing something? As a vegan I really don't understand why you'd bother to go here- we visited in April and the only option they have is black beans with white rice.
Why we paid so much money for plain, simple food is beyond me now, but that's hindsight for you. I guess at least we can say we tried it, but even a burrito is more exciting than this (and cheaper). On that note, it's also a rip-off to eat here as a vegan because you're paying for such basic food. Up to you though!

Beagle Mom
Beagle Mom

Vegan Gumbo!

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2014

They have a vegan/vegetarian option every day. We had the black beans and white rice. Spicy, hearty and satisfying. They also have a vegan gumbo which I will try next time.

CaseyGill
CaseyGill

good! but don't expect "gumbo"

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2014

Just finished eating. Started with the vegan dish of the day. It was a white beans and rice Cajun dish. VERY good! Unfortunately I ordered a cup if it and a bowl of gumbo. I LOVED gumbo before I went vegan and grew up 3 hours from New Orleans so I was really excited to have vegan gumbo. This is not gumbo. It is more like a turnip green or collard green soup. It was ok once I added the hot sauce and Cajun spices they provide on each table. For dessert I had a fresh fruit honey dew melon daiquiri. UH-Mazing!! So I do recommend this place. Just don't expect gumbo if you're having the vegan gumbo.

VinceVandemolegraaf
VinceVandemolegraaf

Vegan Gumbo

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2014

It's nice to find restaurants with vegan friendly options especially in New Orleans. Nicely situated in the French quarter the Gumbo shop has a little court yard with tables to have your meal. My wife and kids ordered the Complete Creole Dinner and I the vegan gumbo bowl, I'll give the dish 2 1/2 stars, had to spice it up a little and will give an additional 1/2 star for ambiance and vegan options.

Pros: Vegan Options, Ambiance, Friendly Staff
Cons: Gets busy lunch/dinner
Rbarefoo
Rbarefoo

great option!!!

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

NOLA is tough on vegan eating but this cute place has a different option everyday and fantastic fresh bread right from the oven. Had a loaf with a nice salad, the pecan dressing was awesome, and another loaf with the black bean soup. Filled me up and I am big eater. :)

Pros: close to center of French quarter, price, atmosphere
ochokitty
ochokitty

need greens?

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

The gumbo is a chunky greens & beans soup with rice, also there is a vegetarian special which was black beans and rice the night we went. Both were delicious & filling. Fresh baguette and side of corn is amazing. Hot rum cider also perfect. Service was very good. Go here.

Pros: filling vegan options, gluten free options, french quarter location
veganlane
veganlane

Vegan Gumbo!

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2013

My husband visited The Gumbo Shop just so we could have some vegan gumbo. We both ordered the Gumbo Z'Herbs. The only disappointing thing was that it was so good we wanted more. The vegetarian special of the day was white beans and rice. We ordered one serving and it's a good thing because it was huge! The service was great and the restaurant is very charming. Sit outside on the courtyard if you can.

Pros: Good food, Friendly wait staff
Cons: Not a huge selection of vegan food
VeganYUMYUM
VeganYUMYUM

delicious authentic food!

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2013

This restaurant is super charming (especially if you sit in the back part of the restaurant behind the atrium) and the food was amazing! It's a great place to take your omnivorous friends because everyone will be able to find something amazing to eat. The vegan gumbo and white beans were sooooooo good!!! And the servers were crazy friendly, too!

Pros: delicious , cute atmosphere , friendly service
LindaSteel
LindaSteel

Not worth it.

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2012

To expensive for what you get, but if you cant find anything else, its better then nothing.

Poundie
Poundie

Vegan gumbo

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

It is very hard to find vegetarian food in New Orleans, so it was nice to find a vegan gumbo in this place. I found the gumbo rather bland--I assume the other gumbos (non-vegetarian) are tastier. The service and atmosphere are very fine, and in all I found the meal satisfactory.

Pros: nice service, nice decor, food tasted OK
Cons: limited options, food is just OK
Astonangel
Astonangel

Definitely worth it

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

There is one veggie dish of the day and a vegetarian gumbo. We ordered both. Excellent though the Gumbo was slightly better! Very packed place and queueing is the norm. Staff are quite at tentative but this place is a tourist attraction. Shame about the limited veggie choices....

Pros: Excellent food, Attentive staff
Cons: The crowds, Only two veggie main dishes
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Cute Place, Nice Meal

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

I was recently in NOLA for business, and all meals were generally served at the hotel and entertainment extended to well into the night. I finally had some time to sneak away to grab some food, but couldn't go far. Luckily I found this place very close to my hotel. They apparently have a vegetarian option every day, and this day it was white bean gumbo with rice. Nothing too fancy, but it was delicious. The server was really friendly, and I ate in a beautiful courtyard area.
There did not seem to be many vegetarian or vegan options, but as long as they have at least the one entree a day, I would go back if I was in the area.

Pros: Great Vegan Gumbo, Nice Atmosphere, Located in the French Quarter
Cons: Not a lot of Veg Options
craigtracy
craigtracy

Yummy from a Local

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2012

We just had a great meal and our VEGAN server, Alex really helped. I'm a New Orleans native and a French Quarter resident and business owner. We had a meal not listed on the menu "YET" It was a shrimpless version of a Shrimp pasta with a smoked tomato sauce. We were told it's always available and we LOVED the taste. We also had the always available Vegan Gumbo and enjoyed it as well. Great meal...

TerriPettit
TerriPettit

Vegan gumbo

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

I went to plenty of places to nosh during my week long stay & this was our stab at authentic New Orleans cuisine. The gumbo was tasty ( the cup is a small cup) and so were the beans and rice. The salad was sad- some iceberg lettuce, an unripe slice of tomato, and so-so dressing. If you drink and like spicy- have one of their bloody Mary's now that was yum!

Pros: Authentic, Friendly staff
Cons: Small portions, Limited selection
Jamie Roberts
Jamie Roberts

Authentic New Orleans-style Vegan fare

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

The vegan gumbo was good (and on a colder day would have been even better) and the black beans and rice were good enough after trudging around looking for vegan food with a NOLA flare. It was simple and tasty - and it's a popular place with the locals, which attests to the authenticity of the food. The vegan entry was just slopped into the bowl and could have been presented with more creativity, but If I return to the crescent city, I'll definitely go back.

rctexus
rctexus

Alex rocks!

Posted on 04 / 24 / 2012

So based on his girlfriend's recommendation, I went here and didn't even have to ask for him. He is vegan and helped me order the Gumbo Z'Herbs and the special of the day which was white beans with rice. Both were very tasty and he was an awesome server. When he brought the gumbo he said "Here's your gumbo, hippie", which cracked me up!! I was having to dine alone since my husband didn't get to come to New Orleans with me, so having Alex to chat with and his humor made the day a little better.

Pros: Great Vegan gumbo, Daily Vegan Specials, Awesome waiter Alex!
Cons: Didn't get to sit outside, Outside patio too small
beakerr86
beakerr86

They have a Vegan server here!!!!

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2012

Hi I have not eaten here yet. However, my boyfriend is a server here and he is a Vegan he can help you choose whats really vegan. His name is Alex ask for him

Vkrhgjdur
Vkrhgjdur

Sad Food

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2012

There is No vegan food at this place, the vegan rating is a blatant lie. The SEAFOOD OKRA GUMBO is brown gravy with teenie weenie shrimp some white rice and some crab shells, no okra, None. This for $10. This place is a Joke, if not for its location it would be out of business.

Pros: Location
Cons: Quality, Price, Bathroom (1) Total
monicalsmith1
monicalsmith1

Good veggie option in area where it's hard to find

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2012

We got a bowl of gumbo zherbes (veggie gumbo) and a bowl of the veggie special, which was black beans and rice. They both were delicious and vegan. They also have several sides of southern creamed spinach, cream corn, creamed turnip greens, and mashed garlic potatoes that were all vegetarian, but not vegan. Our waiter was vegan and knowledgeable about ingredients. Also the staff was VERY friendly. Even waiters from other tab les thanked us for coming in. we had a nice time. I would have given this restaurant a 4 if it offered more veg selections, but we thoroughly enjoyed what we ate.

Pros: Great tasting, Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, Nice dining room
Cons: Not enough vegetarian choices
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

vegan gumbo

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2011

We had to try vegan gumbo while in New Orleans, so we stopped in to grab some to go. The only vegan one available that day was the Gumbo Z'Herbes. While it was good soup, I had been hoping for a nice thick one instead. Worth trying if you wanna say you had gumbo while in New Orleans.

Pros: vegan gumbo
Cons: only one option
CarolineMinLA
CarolineMinLA

Good gumbo

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2011

I had the veg gumbo (vegan) which came with a scoop of rice on top which I couldn't verify as vegan. Also, be aware that the French bread was likely not vegan. I suggest ordering a small veg gumbo (no rice) and then the veg entree. A large bowl of gumbo wasn't really enough for a meal.

Pros: Good gumbo, Trendy spot, Reasonable prices
Cons: Rice scooped onto gumbo , French bread likely not vegan
cheriw
cheriw

Vegan Gumbo

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2011

This was a fun place to visit. I read that they offer a vegetarian (sometimes) vegan daily gumbo. I had the Gumbo Z'Herbes which was pretty good. The only thing is that our food was placed on the table no more then 2 minutes after ordering so each meal is not made from sratch.

Pros: Vegetarian/vegan daily option, Fast service, Charming building
Cons: Dining area is packed with tables
necropalice
necropalice

Authentic Creole Cuisine

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2011

Finally! Somewhere in New Orleans that is both a) veggie friendly and b) authentic Creole cuisine.

Must be noted: the veggie options are limited to one - a nightly veggie special that is usually some kind of veggie gumbo or bean casserole. Regardless, it was absolutely delicious, filling, healthy and good value for money. There was a good atmosphere and our server was really lovely - even though we were blind drunk. Highly recommended.

Pros: local cuisine, healthy, cheap
Cons: few options

Dear Owner and Manager of Gumbo Shop: