Guilin Chinese Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. Diner type atmosphere. Extensive vegetarian and vegan choices on the menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Non-veg

linaE
linaE

Great Menu!

4 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2014

Their menu is very clearly marked for veg*ns, with a whole column of vegan "meat" choices. The Tempura veggies are great! I don't think we've been disappointed in any of our selections. My personal fav is the lettuce wraps! Good portion size and good prices to match. The inside is average chinese style decor, nothing fancy.

Pros: Many veg*an choices it's hard to choose, Good prices, Central location
LarryBennett
LarryBennett

Vegan Awesomeness!!

4 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

My wife and I arte here yesterday for the first time and loved it! We are both vegans and ordered several dishes, everything was amazing, staff and service was terrific and it was not expensive. We highly recommend giving it a try!

TucsonVeganGal
TucsonVeganGal

Excellent value, excellent food

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2013

This is our go-to place for take-out. Like weekly. We love General Tso Veggie Chicken, Mongolian Veggie Beef, Kung Pao tofu (and other "meats"). The drumsticks are a fried dream. The staff is helpful, sweet and remembers/values their customers.

Pros: Quality of Food, Quantity of Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: Not our favorite eat-in place
VeganPlease
VeganPlease

vegan kitchen

4 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

This place has a "regular" and a vegan kitchen/menu. The food is really good and the service is friendly. They have all types of vegan "meats" and dishes. I definitely recommend this place!

jlo5616
jlo5616

Great veg-friendly menu

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2011

Guilin was a great little find for some last-minute late Sunday evening food when all the other veg restaurants were closed. The menu is awesome, even distinguishing between vegetarian and vegan menu items. We started with the "chicken wing" appetizer, a fried soybean meat on a stick. It was quite delicious though texturally a bit tough. I got the General Tso "Chicken" and my boyfriend got some coconut cashew curry tofu dish, and we both got brown rice on the side. We ordered and literally 5 minutes later the food came out! The same "chicken" as in the appetizer was battered and used in my dish, which was tasty but again kind of tough to chew. My boyfriend's dish was excellent, very creamy and flavorful. Apparently no one had ordered brown rice for a while because we got very dry crispy old rice, but the waitress quickly replaced it with fresh made rice. Our dishes were $9.99 each and a little smaller than the usual family-style dishes at most Chinese restaurants, but not unreasonable. All in all pretty good food, amazingly quick service!

Pros: Quick service, Great selection, Clearly labeled veg items
Cons: A little pricey
mena
mena

Great place if you have a 'blended' family!

4 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2010

My family has meat eaters and veg*ns so this place is great. The veg*n menus are clearly marked and the food is pretty good :D

There are a few dishes I didn't like, but they're in the minority. Also, the 'shrimp' dishes are fishy, but I loved seafood so it didn't really bother me.

Pros: good value, good food, good service
Cons: some dishes hit or miss
maxinerz
maxinerz

Wonderful!

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2009

I have never liked Chinese food. Every experience in this town has been a big ol' pile o' bland and greasy. Since discovering Guilin, it's my new go-to restaurant. I find myself craving their food all the time.

Their menu is divided into 3 parts omni, veggie, and vegan. The stuff on the vegan menu is fake meat products. The stuff on the vegetarian menu features tofu and vegetable dishes which are generally vegan as well--make sure to ask, though!

My absolute favorite dish is the fresh tofu skins with Chinese greens. It's spicy and delicious and amazing and SDKFJ;ASJFA I LOVE IT! Then there's the fake chicken dishes. Their fake chicken is really good--best I've ever had thus far in my life. I especially like it in the Mongolian Veggie Chicken dish. Yum yum yum. A recent adventurous evening, I allowed myself to try the Vegetarian Fish Fillet in Black Bean Sauce. Um, WHAT!? This thing was a bunch of little fake "meat" rectangles topped with nori to give it that "fishy" flavor. It was strangely delicious. A few misses were the eggplant dish (mushy pile of mush) and the fake beef. It's not that the beef isn't tasty...it's just not as tasty as the chicken. Plus, it looks really real...kinda freaked me out and took me a while to actually eat it. Oh, the iced green tea. Yeah...just avoid that at all costs.

The actual restaurant is super casual, like most of Tucson. It is family run and I have been cashed out by small children a few times. Pretty cute. Service is generally friendly if occasionally aloof during busy times. It gets really busy around lunch because HELLO FIVE DOLLAR LUNCH SPECIAL! I LOVE YOU! Their prices are VERY reasonable. Tofu and veggie dishes are 6-10 dollars. Veggie meat dishes are 7-15 dollars with the veggie fish and shrimp costing a bit more than the veggie beef and chicken.

Really really great place. My current favorite restaurant.

Pros: inexpensive, delicious, local
Cons: iced green tea, iced green tea , iced green tea
redman_vf
redman_vf

Consistently good service and flavor

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

This restaurant was highly recommended by a friend of mine. They have a large vegan and vegetarian section on their menu plus they are willing to make anything vegan they can upon request. They also offer brown rice substitution which more people should take advantage of. Great option for veggie/omni dining if you find yourself having to do that. The service is normally very fast and the price is $4.95-5.95 for all veg lunch specials.

Pros: Price, Location (Speedway & Country Club), Taste
Erin A.
Erin A.

Get your Chinese food fix

4 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2009

Guilin is good Chinese food that reminds me of what I used to eat before becoming vegan, but way healthier and tastier! My favorites are the Mongolian "beef" and "chicken" drumsticks. Their menu clearly states what has meat, what is vegetarian, and what is vegan so that's always a plus.

Pros: variety, tasty
lynvan
lynvan

Lots of options on the menu

4 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2008

OK, Yes this restaurant is a real find for vegan and vegetarian alike. But what I ordered wasn't terrific. I got the sweet and sour vegetable "chicken" The "chicken" was good but the sweet and sour sauce was too sweet and not too good. But my husband got the curry tofu and vegetables and his was great.
Lots of options here! I would go again, but try something else.
The staff is very friendly!

Pros: healthy, many choices, friendly staff
Cons: not super clean, not a warm atmosphere
TucsonxRob
TucsonxRob

best chinese food in tucson

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2008

they have tons of vegan options and they are clearly marked on the menu. i eat here regularly and the staff has always been very friendly and helpful. They have a just as many non-vegan options as well, making a great spot to go with your non-veggie friends.

Pros: great food, great service
NicandJosieRock
NicandJosieRock

Yum Food!

4 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2007

Seriously, if your ever in the area, go here. We are so jealous of people that live by this place. It's nice to be able to go to a resturant and not get stuck with a salad and french fries. It kind of reminded us of Denny's, cause it's so laid back and comfortable. Some of the best Chinese food we've ever had!

Pros: super nice, great food and selection, comfortable casual atmosphere
Cons: its in Tucson and we are in Calif
BrienneAmber
BrienneAmber

Good Food - Vegan Options

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2006

This is a nice place, with friendly, helpful service. The menu has 3 parts: vegan-meats, vegetarian items, and other. Much of the vegetarian stuff is also vegan, but make sure to ask. Most fried appetizers have egg batter. Food is very tasty. I recommend the vegetable noodles and curry tofu.

Pros: Good Food, Helpful Staff, Vegan Menu
Cons: Not 100% Veg

Dear Owner and Manager of Guilin Chinese Restaurant: