Serves meat, veg options available. Serves fish, otherwise all vegan; no dairy. Friendly service, nice atmosphere. Also has a natural foods store inside that's open Mon-Sat 9:30am-8:30pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, Organic, Juice-bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
6 Rue Cardinale (Metro: Mabillon or St Germain des Pres)
Paris, France 75006

Open Mon-Sat lunch only 12-3:30.

First Review by footlooseveg
Dynamic Duo
Dynamic Duo

Simple and delicious!

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2013

We finally made it to Guen Mai on the next to last day of our vacation. It was such a pleasant surprise. The food is delicious and low fat (which is often hard to find in Europe or anywhere for that matter). Plenty of vegetables, beans and a juice bar. They are vegan except they serve some fish. It was also nice that very few things on the menu contained soy. We have soy allergies and generally are restricted to only a few things on the menu of European vegan restaurants but here was different. We highly recommend Guen Mai.

Just as an aside - be sure to check you receipt. She almost charged us 400 euros instead of 40 euros on accident (we do believe it was an accident - she said she couldn't see it because her eyes are no longer young) and we had to wait for 45 minutes while they figured out how to reverse the charge.

Pros: lowfat, delicous, lots of fruits and veggies
Cons: check the accuracy of your charge
Babette
Babette

Nice place

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

This is a nice restaurant. It serves macrobiotic food that's healthy, but still tasty.

I had the vegan plate of the day, which featured many sides, and an apple crumbe. Very good.

Not the most impressive place in Paris, but a nice place to try if you are in that neighbourhood or if you want to eat healthy food.

Pros: Organic, Healthy, Good location
Cons: Serves fish, Small selection
Paris-75006
Paris-75006

Delicious and Consistent Food

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2010

I have been eating regularly at Guen Mai restaurant since Sophie and her family opened in the 1980s, as I vacation in Paris 1-2 times a year and stay around the corner from it. I often eat there daily, every day that it's open, when I'm in Paris.

The food is delicious and the quality is high. There is a very nice variety of food items and the plat du jour is only 12.50 Euros. The fruit pies are delicious. And it's the oldest organic restaurant in Paris.

I love to go on seitan brochette day. I get it on the plat du jour. It can also usually be had the next day,too.

The restaurant is only open for lunch, but there's a little store section, and Sophie is there tending to everything and wrapping to-go items. It's great that she's there daily and that her son is one of the chefs. The family lives above the restaurant, so there's always someone there to overlook things and keep the standards high.

As for a few comments; one above describing the restaurant as serving meat. I have never seen meat served there. There is fish in one of the plat du jours, but it's chopped up well and mixed into the dish. Plus, fish is on a macro balance.

The second comment is in regards to baked tofu, a quinoa burger that was not good, soggy vegetables, and English not spoken. Those comments "totally" threw me. I have never seen a burger on the menu, and what baked tofu? And as for English not being spoken, Sophie the owner, speaks English. That description sounded as if it had happened in a totally different restaurant. I was just there again in March/April 2010, and nothing had changed from all of my previous visits.

Pros: Delicious Food, High Quality Food, Owner always there overseeing things
Cons: Not open on Sundays, Not open for dinner, Not open all of August
chrystanthem
chrystanthem

disappointed

2 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2010

a bit disappointed after reading the other reviews. I had baked tofu, which was good, but the vegetables were soggy and tasteless. My mother had the quinoa burger (also with soggy vegetables). the burger didn't taste much. Staff didn't speak english, but the place was nice. perhaps you could drop in for a juice or something, but the food isn't really that good.

Pros: nice place, vegan options
Cons: soggy veggies, no english
jrm212
jrm212

Simple and Good

4 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2009

I found this place comforting, maybe because it was so simple; or maybe because it was nice to see such a healthy-minded spot in the middle of Paris. Food was delicious! Juices too. Attentive waiter. Probably overpriced, but worth every penny for the quality.

liz Michael
liz Michael

very good

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

Guen Mai is good simple macrobiotic food done very well. It's simple but consistent. Not a huge choice and a bit expensive for what it is but it's good.

footlooseveg
footlooseveg

Weird but good

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2008

This was perhaps one of the best surprises of our trip to Paris. The menu has what appears to be a rotating daily special, so when we went on Wednesday the option for the special was fried tofu ravioli or some type of fish. We both got the plate du jour with ravioli. Delicious! The combinations of different salads and things (not sure what they all were, but they were all good!) were terrific! We don't speak French, but the hosts were very nice and did their best to explain things to us. Overall, this was one of our favorite places to eat in Paris! Go! Often! (We went for lunch, so we didn't have any problem with their hours.)
Oh, and we should note, this place has about 8 tables, so be prepared to be squished next to someone else. But it is so worth it!

Pros: menu varies by day, delicious, friendly staff
Cons: tiny

Dear Owner and Manager of Guen Mai: