Vegetarian restaurant with eclectic menu featuring in-house-made seitan, fresh pasta, salads, sandwiches, local craft beers, wine and spirits. Many items can be made vegan upon request. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Latin, Italian, Beer/Wine
3315 W Armitage Ave (Kimball)
Chicago, Illinois 60647
773-772-9446
Closed now

Tue-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 11:30am-11:00pm, Sun 11:30am-9:00pm

First Review by Vegan Vagabond
Mcarlsonlane
Mcarlsonlane

Food from planet earth

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

I have eaten at Ground Control! several times and loved it each time. It's a cool space with a fairly unique menu (ranging from housemade pasta to tofu taco creations). They offer many awesome tofu and seitan sandwiches (the Asian BBQ sandwich is my personal favorite). All in all, this is definitely one of my favorite newer veg restaurants in Chicago.

Pros: Nice variety on the menu, Unique menu items, Cool atmosphere
Lindsey
Lindsey

Pretty good, would need to try again

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2013

The food my husband and I had here was delicious - mashed potatoes and a seitan sandwich. When we were here, they had no creamy vegan options - no vegan ranch for the vegan wings, only dairy-based ranch. The sandwiches we had had to be served without cheese since they did not have Daiya. I have heard that they did start supplying both of these things, so I guess I need to go back to check it out. The peanut butter chocolate cake we had for dessert was very tasty but not out-of-this world. It was just like a homemade cake. I can't complain too much though because I am very thankful that they offer vegan desserts. I gave this place a lower rating because I think they could offer more vegan options and bigger portions, especially since it was kind of price-y.

Pros: tasty food, vegan options, nice decor
Cons: small portions, expensive, not the best location
Sjstevens23
Sjstevens23

so good! welcome to the neighborhood!!

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

THANK YOU for giving us vegan/GF options!! Mwwwwahhhh!

Pros: close to home!, delicious

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Ground Control

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2013

Ground Control is just OK in my book. And if we're being honest here, I'll also tell you I'll likely never return. Why? The food was just lackluster - I also have higher expectations when a restaurant charges higher prices in comparison to their peers.

I asked the waitress to recommend the best thing on the menu. So I received the Jibarito sandwich. If I were the waitress, I'd likely not recommend this as the best sandwich. It was basically seitan between two big pieces of plantains as bread. The plantains were so overwhelming that I ended up eating the inside of the sandwich, leaving them behind on the plate. I left feeling dissatisfied.

mollypitcher
mollypitcher

Nice New Place, Try It!

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

I've only been once, but it is certainly worth a try. I went with a big group and we all had varying degrees of happiness with our meals. Items we enjoyed: pastan with tomato sauce and walnuts, jabarito, stewed seitan tacos, and desserts. The menu is a little limited and mixed, but is interesting. The place is new and few has issues to work out, but I sure hope they make a go of it. It is really a nice neighborhoody place and a vegan/vegetarian restaurant is always a welcome addition.

Pros: Good value, Nice atmosphere, Good food
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

Great food. Great people.

Posted on 12 / 15 / 2012

This place is new, but I have been twice and both times have been great. Very tasty food, reasonable portions, and fair prices. Probably the best vegan carrot cake in Chicago.

BTW: I like it spicy. I got the hot wings and they were very mild. I commented on this and the owner/chef made me a habanero sauce that was semi-spicy. He then made me a "habanero vinaigrette sauce." It was fantastic! The perfect mix of flavor and heat. When I went in the second time, I asked for it when I ordered my food and they whipped up a batch for me. I highly recommend this sauce.

Pros: Food, Service, Staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Ground Control: