Vegan coffeehouse in South Philly serving organic coffee, premium teas, pastries, sandwiches, and bagels. Free Wi-Fi. Features movie nights, book signings, and other events. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, American
1515 S 4th St
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19147
215-839-3333
Now Open

Mon-Fri 6:30am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-8:00pm

First Review by KATHLEEN W.
kim2121
kim2121

Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2015

I stopped by Grindcore House today for dessert and really liked the vegan peanut butter chocolate cake - rich, indulgent, and a very generous portion! The service was friendly, and it was a beautiful day outside, which made the outdoor seating especially nice. Will definitely return!

Pros: Delicious Food
JesseIves
JesseIves

Almost great

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2015

I want to give this place 5 stars so much. It has all of my favorite things; it's all vegan, it's all about punk and hardcore, their cafe has a great seating area, and it has a free radical literature library in the back. However, we got there on a Sunday afternoon, and their baked good options were somewhat limited, maybe on other days or times they have more. Every time I am in Philly I will go here, but on first impressions I just can't say it was excellent.

jclamb
jclamb

cozy and delicious

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2015

I've been to Grindcore more than a few times, as it resides in my neighborhood. They have super awesome pastries and desserts! They also have a nice tea selection and yummy sandwiches (when the staff neatly stacks the veggies). Definitely a local favorite!

rob mafia
rob mafia

this place rules

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

censorship sucks. please step into the 18th century, happycow.

cookiem
cookiem

Still got it going vegan strong

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

I really can't think of an all vegan coffee house off the top of my head, but if I were to go to one anywhere, I would want it to be exactly like Grindcore.

The ambiance is vegan hipster but without the attitude- other than nice, really genuinely nice, helpful and efficient. They care!! The decor matches the mindset, and that vegan mindset of stay active and aware is appreciated. Seating in the front is sparse but more room in the back and tables outside!

The coffee is excellent with the choices typical of any full coffee house. How were, it's even better here because they've got 4 diff vegan milks. Yeah!!!! Just specify what you want in an espresso drink and take your pick by the DIY bar- coconut, soy, almond and creme. Mmmm blue agave raw sweetener, cinnamon and the like, too, for your benefit!

The food is fab. Vegan all the way for cookies, muffins/ quick breads, pastries, cakes and brownies. Some other beverages too, along with tea, are also available. Vegan Treats and another local bakery have items here. You have a few gluten free choices too! All delish!

Order a bagelwich with any spread you want- sweet or savory- on a whole wheat or sesame or whatever bagel available. How nice to have choices!!! The sandwiches are also fab- multigrain, ciabatta or sourdough. They take the time to make them well with fresh veggies and fake meat and mayo - avocado is so good with spinach and tomato!

Whatever you order, you'll love it!!!

Pros: All vegan, Dessert choices rock, Coffee is fab
Cons: Makes me fat- too much good food!, Hours could be extended for all hour fun
Veganwithavengance
Veganwithavengance

Good food good music

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2013

Have been there twice and both times I loved it. This last time I got a cinnamon raisin bagel with jalapeƱo cream cheese, Tofurky and tomato and loved it. It was the perfect way to start off my day and I could probably eat one every day. Also got a delicious hot chocolate which was not overly rich which I like as my homemade versions are ultra rich and hard to drink as a larger beverage with a meal. They also have cakes and pastries from Vegan Treats and other local folks which are quite good. The atmosphere is pleasant and it feels like a neighborhood joint with a very friendly staff;

They make their own cream cheese and that should be commended. It makes their sandwiches about ten notches better.

I came too early for the grindcore but the music was still good and probably more pleasing to the friend I brought with me as she detests hardcore type music. I hear they play it sometimes in the afternoon but I think I have come a bit early both times for that.

Pros: Delicious Food, Good Music, Friendly Staff
mariaiswaycool
mariaiswaycool

Great Visit!

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

I stopped at this place for the first time when a few friends from Germany came for a visit in Philadelphia. One was lactose intolerant, and they knew that I love vegetarian and vegan food, so we decided to try it out for breakfast. We got bagels and chai tea, and both were fantastic! I was so happy to be able to just order and not have to think about which items were vegan. If you like chai tea lattes, they make their own concentrate, which is very nice.

Pros: Great Chai, Good Atmosphere, Awesome Customer Service
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Grindcore House

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2012

If you like (1) vegan food, (2) heavy metal, or (3) both, then you might like Grindcore House. I'm a huge fan of bagels with vegan cream cheese for breakfast and Grindcore House certainly delivers on that. I was shocked to see all of the vegan options, there were several bagel options and SEVERAL vegan cream cheese options! I ended up getting the scallion cream cheese on one side and jalapeno on the other. The scallion was certainly the winner. Overall, the cream cheese's were really good but I had better bagels elsewhere in the city...I only wish I could get the bagel from one place and the cream cheese from Grindcore (easily). I also tried their matte late and thought it was average. In conclusion, I say give it a try if your close by.

proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

great!

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

i can't speak for the coffee, because i don't drink it, but the sandwiches are top notch. my favorite spot to grab lunch in the city.

Pros: sandwiches, great staff, decor
Cons: the music
DennisTCB
DennisTCB

Awesome First Visit

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

Visited Grindcore for the first time today. Had a GREAT experience. The staff is amazing and the food unbelievable!! Don't walk....run to Grindcore House!!

thevegantwins
thevegantwins

Kudos for an all-vegan coffee shop

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

100% vegan coffee shop/cafe is such a beguiling concept and it nearly works. I was a bit concerned about coming here after reading the reviews since nearly all the reviews mentioned hip/punk and here I am, an overweight, nearly middle-aged suburban mom who happens to be vegan. I was pleasantly surprised about how well me, my disabled husband and 2 of our children were treated. The staff made wonderful hot chocolates for my 7-year old twins and my husband enjoyed his coffee. My cappucino was not ready until everyone was already done with their desserts and drinks and when I tasted it, it was nearly undrinkable. The foam was fine but the espresso was so horribly burnt-tasting. The cafe serves Vegan Treats desserts. I might be the only one to feel this way but I really dislike Vegan Treats desserts. They are way too junky and always make me feel sick if I eat one. I wish more places would try to get better quailty vegan desserts like we have in NJ (Cinnamon Snail and Wildflower Vegan).

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff, An array of non-dairy choices
Cons: Coffee preparation is lacking, Serves Vegan Treats desserts
mikerideabike
mikerideabike

Love this place!

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2011

Every time I drive into Philly, I make Grindcore my first stop. They're open early and always have great stuff ready to eat. Last time, I had an amazing coconut sticky bun that was bigger than my head!

Pros: Great environment, Friendly staff , Awesome food @ good prices
BruceWayne
BruceWayne

Finally

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

A coffee shop that serves fair-trade coffee. Their kitchen prepares only vegan food. Punk and metal on the radio. What else could I ask for? The milk selection is unparalleled. Soy, rice, almond, coconut, and soy creamer! No coffee shop has soy creamer! Sandwiches on the menu have choices of Tofurkey or Field Roast vegetarian meats, bagels have tofu cream cheese, and their display case is loaded with Vegan Treats from Bethlehem! Recycling bins and biodegradable disposables, they are also environmentally conscious. Excellent place to visit, hang out, and have massive amounts of food and drink. I will return.

Pros: Vegan, Fair Trade, Music and friendly employees!
Cons: I am not in Philly anymore, I will not be back for a while, I discovered it the last week there
lfusfeld
lfusfeld

Great Place!

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2011

Love the atmosphere and the offerings. Owners and employees are wonderful.

Pros: great drinks offered, lots of dessert options
Cons: location/hard to access
supervegan
supervegan

best!

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2011

You've got to go here and get a bagel with one of their cream cheeses. Scallion, Jalapeno, Sundried Tomato, Kalamata Olive. So good. Maybe a soy capp, too. Or a butterscotch latte. Or maybe just a bottomless mug of coffee to go with all the creamers you can choose from (almond/rice/soy milks, coconut/soy creamers).

Pros: all-vegan, friendly staff, open til 8
KATHLEEN W.
KATHLEEN W.

The BEST coffee house!

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2010

I love this place! They have an ALL vegan menu. The coffee is the best anywhere, and I love the pastries & sandwiches.

Pros: coffee, food, service, atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Grindcore House: