Grilla Bites - Redding

Serves meat, veg options available. Menu features sandwiches, burgers, organic soups and salads - with some faux meat options plus tofu and veggies. Veg dishes are clearly marked. Serves espresso, tea, juice,& smoothie bar. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Salad bar, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by LaurieAdrienne
Wulfestieg
Wulfestieg

Reopened!

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

This gem has reopened under new ownership. They now offer Ethiopian food beginning today. Delicious! On my first visit the chef came out when he heard I was a gluten free vegan and offered to make an amazing sandwich (he didn't call it "amazing", but it most definitely was!) They worked with my specific restrictions and substituted soy based products with great alternatives. Most of their bread is gluten free vegan. They offer smoothies and juicing as well. Prices are very reasonable.
Updated from previous review on Monday June 16, 2014

Pros: options for the gluten free vegan
calivegan46
calivegan46

Cool vibe and great food!

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2013

Stopped here while on a roadtrip to grab some dinner. I ordered the Zen Bowl and it was tasty. The only downside is that the portion was not very big so if you have a large appetite I suggest getting a side as well! The restaurant itself had a nice vibe. If I lived in the area I would eat here often!

katsoplenty
katsoplenty

Good food

3 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2013

Good food vegan options. Wish they had more options instead of just sandwiches and burgers. Service could use some work. I stood at the bar to get a juice but no one was there. Very confusing on how to get a juice.

Pros: Vegan options
Cons: Service could use work

ZachHunter
ZachHunter

Great Vegan Options

4 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2013

I highly recommend this place to anyone in the redding area looking for a good vegan dining experience.

They offer several vegan options, and most of their non vegan dishes can be made vegan upon request. The staff is usually knowledgeable about vegan options, always a big plus in this area. Vegennaise, Daiya cheese, marinated tempeh, or their own veggie patties can be substituted on their variety of burgers or sandwiches.

The salad bar is also great, with clearly labeled organic and vegan options. Marinated tofu, daiya cheese, dressings (not just vinegarette) and macaroni and potato salad make for a tasty Vegan meal at just the salad bar alone!

They even offer coffee drinks at the bar that can be blended with a variety of types of non dairy milk.

The place has a nice casual sit down atmosphere and a quiet outdoor seating area facing the old downtown mall.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 19, 2013

Pros: Clear Vegan Options , Organic , Tasty!
Cons: A Bit Pricey
courtneysli
courtneysli

Juice bar, salad bar, vegan soups and sandwiches

4 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

Visiting from out of town, I found this place online and decided to cruise down there for dinner. The staff was polite, friendly, and helpful. The salad bar was pretty fresh (some wilty lettuce)and had an abundance of vegan choices, including dressings. There was five vegan soups available, and a few sandwich options which had tofu or portablella. Nice new atmosphere and central location. Recommended. Good experience. Going back in the morning for some fresh juice!

Pros: vegan, fresh salads and juices, friendly, helpful staff, new atmosphere
lindaglcpa
lindaglcpa

Amazing treasure in downtown Redding

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

We were delighted to find this great restaurant with so many vegetarian and vegan options. The food was very delicious and we enjoyed the juices and smoothies as well. Our non-vegetarian friends also loved it. We ate there four times during our week-long visit and were sorry not to have time to try everything they offered.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, fresh ingredients
NadyaV
NadyaV

veg-friendly Oasis in Redding

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2011

My husband and I traveled to Redding because he had a job interview. Considering how veg-friendly California is, Redding does not have much in comparison.

My happy cow app was not working that day, but luckly someone suggested that we go to Grilla bites. I'm glad we found it because it's comforting to know that there is a restaurant where we can get all kinds of delicious veg food and desserts without having to cook it ourselves. To be honest, knowing that Grilla bites is there helped make me feel good about moving to Redding. P.S. The meatloaf rocks!

Guest
Guest

Great dishes..

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2011

It's give and take with customer service. Sometimes they're great sometimes they're absent minded. I'm vegan, and this place has some amazing vegan dishes (amazing for Redding at least) such as lasagna and vegan nachos, both with Daiya. Fun atmosphere.

Pros: vegan food, large proportions, fun atmosphere
Cons: iffy customer service, confusing ordering area, not 100% vegan
LaurieAdrienne
LaurieAdrienne

Good food but not-great counter service

3 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2010

Making a drive from Medford, OR to the SF Bay Area, my husband and I were happy to find Grilla Bites in Redding -- perfect for a quick lunch.

Although the food was good (more on that shortly) the counter service was pretty awful.

When we first arrived and walked up to the counter, the woman behind the counter was very busy searching in the cabinets under the cash register. Although she saw us, she did not make eye contact, greet us, or verbally acknowledge us in any way.

She eventually wandered off to the kitchen (again, without saying a word). She reappeared about a minute later, finally asking if she could take our order.

Although a minute or two may not sound like a lot of time, it actually *is* when you are just standing there watching someone wander around instead of greeting you and taking your order.

We placed our order and when she repeated it back to us, she'd forgotten that my husband had requested to leave the cheese off his sandwich. We pointed it out, and she said she'd directly tell the chef to leave it off. (You can guess what's coming.)

We'd ordered two sandwiches and a cup of soup. She brought us our soup a few minutes later and it was the wrong kind -- not what we'd ordered. She went to fetch the soup we'd actually ordered.

When our sandwiches appeared, surprise surprise, my husband's sandwich had a huge slice of cheese on it. Not wanting to deal with the lady again, he just pulled the cheese off, but I could tell from his expression that he was pretty disgusted that it was still wrong after being discussed twice.

Now, on to the food. It was good. Our sandwiches were tasty -- mine a soy bacon, spinach, and tomato with vegan cheese on gluten-free bread; his a tuna sandwich on gluten-free bread. Both sandwiches came with chips and hummus. Both of the soups (the one we ordered and the one we didn't) were fresh and tasty.

I was happy with the menu -- lots of veg and vegan options. Sandwiches, soups, wraps, rice, vegetables, a lovely salad bar, smoothies, coffee, and more.

Overall, I would probably eat there again, but the counter service clearly is in need of help. If any managers or owners are reading this -- you really need to do some much-needed training with your staff.

First impressions are important. Greeting customers is important. Taking orders correctly is important. Some folks might not be as patient as me with so-so service. You don't want to lose customers due to lack of training and management.

Pros: Lots of veg options, Tasty food, Fresh
Cons: Substandard/unacceptable counter service

Dear Owner and Manager of Grilla Bites - Redding: