CLOSED: Grilla Bites - Ashland

Serves meat, veg options available. Menu features sandwiches, burgers, organic soups and salads - with some faux meat options plus tofu and veggies. Vegetarian and vegan dishes are clearly marked. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Non-veg

First Review by groovyvegan
annakarenina
annakarenina

Great food and service

4 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2010

We went to Grilla Bites for lunch as we were passing through Ashland. My daughter and I are gluten-sensitive and were happy to find out that they have GF bread available. I was really pleased with the vegan options. I ended up getting a grilled veggie sandwich on GF bread and some fresh vegetable juice. (Both were fabulous.)

A note: If you plan on getting a GF sandwich, you may wish to order a 1/2 portion instead of a whole. The "whole" sandwich actually uses four pieces of your average GF bread. I'm not sure how large the wheat bread slices are, but I ended up taking half my sandwich with me.

Not everything is veg at Grilla Bites. If you're traveling/eating with an omni there will be plenty of choices for each of you.

Pros: great food, very veg-friendly, helpful staff
NorCal
NorCal

Fab vegan food in Ashland!

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2009

We came to Ashland for part of our summer vacation and were so happy when we found Grilla Bites on the first day. The waitress was SO very nice, friendly and helpful. The food was amazing and there were so many vegan options. Sitting creekside was such a nice treat on a hot summer day. The sandwiches were huge and very, very tasty!

Pros: good prices, friendly staff, creekside sitting
Cons: not totally vegan/veg
groovyvegan
groovyvegan

Excellent vegan-friendly salad bar

4 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2007

I had a much better experience at the Grilla Bites in Ashland, than in Medford, OR. The folks here got my sandwich order right the first time. And I had a delicious veggie grilla sandwich, with vegan cheese substituted for the mozzarella. The sandwich was huge, like a previous reviewer said, half a sandwich is about equivalent to 3/4 of a sandwich.

Also, everything at the salad bar and soup area was labeled so I could see what was vegan and what was not, without having to ask a lot of questions. I was very impressed by the delicious organic vegan salad bar with several vegan dressing choices, including Annie's Goddess dressing and vegan Caesar. (IMO, the Goddess dressing is significantly better than their vegan Caesar.) The salad bar costs $8.45 a pound.

There are various vegan or easily veganizable items to choose from on the menu, including tofu grilla sandwiches (organic, BBQ, and curry), and a tempeh burger.

They also offer 5 organic smoothies and several fresh organic raw juices.

As at the Medford location, I did observe workers were not wearing gloves when handling food, but here I did observe one using a handwash sink. Also, like the Medford location, I recommend better labeling on the menu, for example telling whether the veggie burger is vegan. (A staff member told me they don't make their own veggie burger, so I assume it's packaged.)

I enjoyed my salad bar and veggie grilla sandwich here, and hope to eat here again when I'm in the neighborhood. Service was quick and efficient at 4:45 pm with few other diners in the restaurant.

Pros: Organic, well labeled salad bar, Lots of vegan menu choices, Friendly, helpful staff
Cons: Parking can be difficult, Menu could be better labeled , Salad bar $8.45/lb (pricey to some)

Guest
Guest

best place in Ashland

5 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2006

we went to Ashland just a couple months ago and while planning where to eat we used Happy cow and Grilla Bites was so new they were not yet on here, so we ended up first going next door to greenleaf. It was very expensive and dissappointing. we checked out Grilla bites and were blow away. Their sandwiches are delicious and they are very affordable and have tons of options, including desserts. I am so happy they are now on Happy Cow because they are the best place in Ashland!

Pros: tons of options, nice staff, very affordable
Cons: none!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Grilla Bites - Ashland: