Greenstar Co-op Natural Foods

Natural foods cooperative market. Stocking a wide range of natural groceries including fresh organic produce, vitamins, nutritional supplements, natural beautycare products, and more. Has deli and salad bar. more-less
701 W Buffalo St (West End)
Ithaca, New York 14850
607-273-9392
OPEN NOW

Mon-Sun 7:00am-11:00pm

First Review by BroccoliBottom
DaisytheHedgehog
DaisytheHedgehog

Super convenient, lots of variety

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

As a vegan college student I find the Buffalo St location to be really convenient. They have a ton of awesome fresh food, and their pastries are amazing! I highly recommend any vegan pastry made with chocolate. Their "chunks of energy" are a great alternative to granola bars for snacks. They often have vegan chocolate cakes, baklava and pies as well. As a grocery store they have a great variety of different stocks, nondairy ice creams, cruelty free body products and local produce. All ingredients are clearly labeled. Hooray for Greenstar!

Pros: Convenient, Has everything
Cons: Expensive
arimoore
arimoore

Best vegan reuben in town?

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2010

I have a hard time not liking vegan reuben sandwiches, so maybe I'm not a very good judge, but I think Greenstar's greasily-delicious vegan tempeh reuben is pretty amazing. It's crisp and buttery-tasting and saucy and a recipe for a good time.

Besides the deli, Greenstar has a fantastic selection of vegan foods - vegan cakes and baklava and dumplings, muffins and cookies, breads, produce and frozen stuff, fresh local tofu, giant slabs of tempeh, and a great bulk section full of cheap awesomeness - pastas, agave, dried fruit, nut butters, and soup and falafel and veggie burger mixes by the pound. Read the ingredients lists to find bulk granola, chocolate, carob, and other goodies.

Pros: great selection, incredible vegan options at deli, member-owned cooperative
Cons: can be pricey if you're not careful, cafe area is small and can be busy
neddludd
neddludd

good for supplies but skip the deli

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2010

I admit that when I first moved to Ithaca the greasy Vegan Pizza was cool, but then I ate a slice... I've tried other Vega offerings and I question if anyone in the kitchen actually tastes the food they make. I'm glad Food for the Planet opened across the street.

Pros: Staples, Mostly organic and local groceries
Cons: The deli, More of a small chain than a Co-op
  • arimoore arimoore

I wonder what you mean by "more of a small chain than a co-op"? I'm a member and it does seem to be a member-owned co-operative...

BroccoliBottom
BroccoliBottom

Yummy but not as healthy as you might think

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2009

I eat at GreenStar often. They have tons of vegan and vegetarian options, and a lot of variety. Their hot bar is great for breakfast or lunch, too. I highly recommend the Tempeh Reuben (make sure to order it without cheese if you're vegan).

That said, you might expect that because most of the grocery items at GreenStar are organic/local that the Deli food would be too...but it's not. A lot of it comes from Sysco and is neither local nor organic. Their salad bar is always local/organic, so that's the bonus, but their sandwich items are not. Always good to know.

Pros: lots of variety, fast
Cons: pricey, not organic

Dear Owner and Manager of Greenstar Co-op Natural Foods: