Mostly ovo-lacto vegetarian cuisine - vegans need to ask. Crowded space. Reservations recommended. Price: Expensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, British, English

anomaly77
anomaly77

buy 2 mains!!

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

The day people realise good food has to be eaten at large portions, at least one person will be happy and that's me! So my input might be slightly biased but never the less this place is bit pricey! There is a odd hit on the menu but can be tried once. The location is excellent and I guess that influence the price. If only they had more choices I could buy the attraction.

At the end of the day, will you be happy eating at this place? I think most of them will be! So recommendable .... just do not go hungry!

Pros: Location, Ambience , Tasty
Cons: Pricey!, Small portions
Ellarawwwwwr
Ellarawwwwwr

Review of Greens

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

I went especially to Didsbury for 'Greens'. Staff were neither friendly/un-friendly. Menu was expensive and limited amount of vegan foods. Food was nice, but disappointing regarding the vegan options. Wouldn't go there again.

Pros: Atmosphere
Cons: Lack of Vegan food, Money, Travel links
booklover84
booklover84

Tasty, exciting veggie (and vegan) food in style!

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

I LOVE Greens! My partner and I go there every Valentine's Day, as well as most birthdays. The food is reasonably priced (comparable to other quality restaurants in the area) and there is loads of choice. The menu is clear about vegan options and I like to try something new each time. One of my favourite dishes is the aubergine thai red curry - yum! A must for a treat night out.

Pros: Excellent variety, Really tasty food, Stylish interior

CottageCupcakeCo
CottageCupcakeCo

Fine Dining, but not for Vegans

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

As a vegan I've eaten at Greens a couple of times in the past. I find it to be rather expensive for fairly average food, and quite poor options for vegans. In an exclusively veggie establishment I hope for a much better selection of vegan options on the menu - I think the fact that this restaurant is owned by a non-veggie really shows here :/

preppyvegan
preppyvegan

I will not be returning - very disappointing!

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

I visited Greens last night with some omni friends. This is the second time I have been and as I was not impressed the first time I was hoping Greens had improved some. However, I was disappointed for the second time. First let me address the service: It is appalling! We were seated fairly quickly but soon forgotten and made to wait twenty minutes before our order was taken. We had the taster plate as a starter, for £10 you get a dollop of hummus, a small bowl of olives, vegetarian black pudding (not vegan) and some oil and bread. It only came with three very small pieces of bread so we asked our waiter for more and were shocked at the end of the night to find that we were charged £2 for the extra bread!! Our bill came to £160 in total and they were still petty enough to charge for extra bread! Moving on to the main: again service was dismal, making us wait 30 minutes between finishing our starter and our main arriving. I had the risotto, as the only vegan main on the menu I did not have any other option. It was substandard, something that I could easily make at home and a very small portion for £12. As for dessert, it was absolutely disgusting! I had the apple crumble (again the only vegan option) which was not a crumble at all but actually American style apple sauce topped with granola...horrible!
My advice to anyone looking for a nice, slightly posh vegetarian/vegan meal in Manchester is to visit Bistro 1847. Stay well clear of Greens as you will get horrible service, a busy and loud environment and mediocre but expensive food.

Pros: None
Cons: Poor Service, Limited Vegan Options, Overpriced
jacqui
jacqui

Old fashioned veggie food

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2012

As a family of 4 veggies we went to Greens for a celebratory dinner in Manchester months ago. I was intrigued because I'd heard the celeb. chef was the owner so was looking forward to a treat. However, the menu is old fashioned/ boring, that is the protein comes from cheese, and the food is just the typical things you find in the 'veggie' sections of regular pub menus. Anyway, we all found it to be a disappointment. It was packed so obviously fills a gap locally, but it isn't somewhere I would take a non-veggie and isn't in a particularly convenient location if you are visiting Mancs like we were. I gave an extra happy cow for the outstanding desserts, the highlight of the meal!

Pros: dessert
Cons: expensive, boring, inconvenient location
veglady
veglady

Pleasant, most elegant vegetarian place in Mcr

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2011

The food is mouth-watering!

coco
coco

Still disappointed!

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2010

Returned to Greens with a veggie friend who hadn't been before. The food is still satisfactory, thought not outstanding. But the service! Really needs addressing. Waiting staff seem not to see you, depending on your table, and gaze away over the top of your head. Our starters never arrived. Main course came. Then took so long to attract attention to get sweet menu. We gave up after that as no-one came to take order.

Pros: At least it's veggie!
Cons: Service awful, Crammed in again.
Jan Hicks
Jan Hicks

For a treat

Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

I was taken here for my birthday, and the food is out of this world good. I wasn't allowed to ask how much it had cost, but I'm guessing that it was quite a bit. The portions are reasonable, and the cuisine is definitely gourmet. The layout is like being in someone's living room, which makes for a cozy atmosphere. Service is good, but not brilliant - it does get busy in there, and there didn't seem to be enough staff on duty the night we went there. It's also a little bit out of town, so if you're just visiting Manchester, it would involve a bit of effort to get there.

Pros: excellent food, cozy atmosphere
Cons: pricey, out of town
louis
louis

Greens Didsbury

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2009

Visited Greens with a non veg for an evening meal. On arrival we were asked to wait at the bar for our table, so I ordered two drinks whilst we were waiting. The first drink came but then the barmen broke off to start pouring out several glasses of wine for another group of diners. I asked again for the second drink and was told he had to do these drinks first. Not impressed, either politely explain that you will be with us in a moment or serve both drinks at the same time. The other staff were pleasant and helpful in pointing out vegan options on the menu. As others have said there are disappointingly few considering this is a vegetarian restaurant. I had a mushroom and pancake starter that was attractively presented- reasonably tasty but sparse in size and vastly overpriced for £5.95. My friend had the goats cheese salad, consisting mostly of various leaves with a few VERY small chunks of beetroot and goats cheese and a few pinenuts. They said that it was tasty enough but, for £5.95 I have to agree with them that this is also vastly overpriced and as they said it consisted of the type of ingredients that often come as an accompaniment to a main meal.The mains were comparatively better value- my friend had the cheese sausage and mustard mash with beer gravy. They thought it was tasty enough and liked the beer gravy but come on Greens- push the boat out and run to three rather than two sausages! My griddled aubergine, broad bean and potato red thai curry with rice was pleasant enough, tasty sauce and lovely aubergine pieces and very pleasingly presented but the quantities of the broad bean, aubergine and spud were on the meagre side for the price. The main protein in the dish would be derived from the broad beans and there was only a sprinkling of these. Could be improved with the addition of more beans and/or tofu. Again, pricey for the quantity at £10.25.I enquired about desserts- they now have one vegan dessert on the menu, a crumble. Overall pluses- pleasant interior although very echoey and noisy owing to preponderance of bare walls, minimalist style. Pleasant waiting staff,decent presentation and some nice tastes . I was let down by the prices, portion sizes and lack of protein in the vegan options. I enquired if I call ahead if they could prepare something with a bit more protein, a curry with tofu and was told that only if it's already on the menu.Bill came in at £45 something for a two drinks, two starters and two mains. I'm in no hurry to return.

Pros: presentation, interior, noisy
Cons: imo- overpriced, vegan choices v poor- protein wise, laughable goats cheese salad
KATIE H
KATIE H

great place but

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2009

great place, nice decor good atomospere. the food lacked vegan options and there seemed to be no way of altering other dishes. i guess that's what you get when a meat eater thinks they can cater for veggies. the food is nice a little confused on flavours but rustic good sized portions. just felt a little let down by lack of choice and adaptablity.

Pros: nice decor, good atomosphere
Cons: disappointing confused menu, lack of helpful staff
ebo
ebo

Great food - Much better after the refit

Posted on 11 / 19 / 2008

I've always liked Greens, the atmosphere is great, the staff are very friendly and the food is some of the best I've ever had. The only criticism I could have levied at it before was the lack of space. Since they expanded into the shop next door, there has been a big improvement in this, although it is always still very busy. I guess that is the price to pay for popularity! Book well in advance if planning to go.

Pros: Fantastic food, Much more spacious since refit, Friendly, helpful staff
Cons: Need to book over a week in advance, Limited choice for vegans
marcstevens
marcstevens

What a let-down

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2007

Agree with all points made by other reviewers - vegan options were extremely limited, no vegan wines, over-priced and mediocre.

Pros: Erm, some vegan options
Cons: Limited food, A trek out of town centre
Foxtrot
Foxtrot

Doesn't live up to reputation

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2007

This is the kind of place where they jam in as many tables as possible and deal with you briskly. I felt uncomfortable checking whether a vegan-sounding main course was vegan, so ordered it anyway. It came drenched in buttery sauce not mentioned on the menu, and my friend wasn't happy. Portions were tiny, we had to get chips on the way home!

Pros: pretty street outside, presentation of food
Cons: £11 for a small main, butter in everything, unfriendly service
jonnie
jonnie

Can echo these sentiments

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2006

I can echo the sentiments of other reviewers. On my visit I was told by a less than knowledgeable waitress that it was "impossible" to make a good vegan dessert.... so they didn't bother.

Cons: Expensive, Not really vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of Greens: