CLOSED: Greens and Gourmet

Established since 1987, Greens and Gourmet offers a self-serve vegan and vegetarian buffet spread that includes a wide range of hot and cold food, with each dish clearly labeled. Pay for food by weight. Serene, cafeteria style set-up on the 2nd floor. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, Buffet, Organic, Western

First Review by Greens
tejasjjain
tejasjjain

Need hot and vegan options

3 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2012

Food was OK if you compare the prices. a lot of fresh veggie option. If you want cooked vegan option, I will not highly recommend it. definitely peaceful place.

vegan frog
vegan frog

Just ok

3 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

Have been there a handful of times, but frankly the food is not that amazing. The decor is a bit old and tired, the food is self-serve and you know what you're getting in advance and can make your own portions. It is charged by weight and it gets expensive very fast. The ingredients are usually written under the dish name, which is convenient and they have a fair number of vegan options. But the food is usually lukewarm, so at that price, it's not really worth it.

Pros: lots of choice
Cons: expensive , not hot enough
ajmeyer
ajmeyer

Vegetarian Wonderland

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

When you first see the outside of the restaurant, you are fearful and unsure what to expect. Totally the opposite! The place is clean, DELISH (I seriously had a hard time picking out what to take- so i tried it all). I love the interior too- It's a place you can hang out in for hours with a book and a jug of tea. Don't miss out!

Watch out though, it gets expensive really fast

Pros: The food, The service
Cons: Quite Pricey, Some deserts are not that great

Mohamad
Mohamad

Great place to eat peacefully and relax

4 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2011

Food is fresh, tasty and delicious, from baked Samosas to Miso Tofu and Musaka, mmm!! Hot buffet is HOT! Green salads are COLD!
Ambiance is spacy, quiet and peaceful with great variety of well selected music.
Prices are very reasonables. Students and Seniors special discounts. Also, 20% discounts on weekends.
Free parking and much more.
I love this place!

Pros: Excellent food, Natural, Healthy cuisine
Cons: friendly staff, good value
stawamas
stawamas

Vegetarian Restaurant in Kitsilano

3 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2011

I find that the hot buffet is usually a bit cold. I've had tofu and dahl and baked potatoes. Unless you go at lunch hour, it isn't as hot. Many items do not have a list of ingredients and the staff don't always know if they have dairy or wheat, which I find frustrating. More vegan options please.

Pros: Nice ambience, Comfortable chairs, Free parking
Stardient
Stardient
  • non-vegetarian

Good food...

3 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2011

We arrived at this restaurant at around 8:30pm and this might be the reason for our criticism. Overall good food selections however we found the food was under heated. Price was a bit high given the quality and the temperature of the food. If you are going to go, we would suggest you go earlier in the day.

allan nielsen
allan nielsen

Great place

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2010

Went first time November 19 2010. It was a great surprise. The best vegan/vegetarian place I have been at so far.
Great food, though more expensive, very nice seating area and I like the pick on your own.
Tried 5 different dishes and all were super tasty.
I will certainly come back, though I live downtown.

Pros: Taste, Number of dishes to choose from, Varity, from all over the world
Cons: Price
Sami Hayek
Sami Hayek

Wonderful!!!

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2010

The new cook has even improved the quality and freshness of salads, hot dishes and desserts. You can eat with closed eyes. Everything is delicious and healthy in a very peaceful ambiance, which was also improved by the amiable attention of new front staffs. Mmmm,

Pros: Healthy Cuisine, Very delicious, good value
Cons: No wine, Closes early, No live music
PhytoFan
PhytoFan

Choices, Choices

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2010

It's all true. You do have to watch your plate to not spend too much, but the food is worth it - creative and lovingly prepared. Yes, dairy in many items, but there are other choices. Killer desserts. Pleasant, peaceful atmosphere. Helpful, patient staff. A gem.

• Sami Hayek Sami Hayek

The new cook has even improved the quality and freshness of salads, hot dishes and desserts. You can eat with closed eyes. Everything is delicious and healthy in a very peaceful ambiance, which was also improved by the amiable attention of new front staffs. Mmmmmm

Citygirl
Citygirl

I Love This Place!

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2010

Sadly I've never lived in this neighborhood (Kits) but I always go to G&G if I'm nearby. Been going to this low-key buffet restaurant for years, and it was my first introduction to the idea that vegan food could actually taste good! All the dishes have ingredients listed and there are wheat-free options as well as vegetarian and vegan. I don't find it expensive at all compared to other restaurants (and it's self-serve) but be aware of the weight of what you put on your plate. It's not the place to go if you want huge portions, but you can purchase some items like samosas or a bowl of rice separately for a set price anyway. I agree the tofu in sweet miso sauce is absolutely delicious. This place is "comfort food" for vegetarians. Love it. Only the desserts are "meh."

Pros: laid back, child friendly, great food
Cons: blah desserts, pricey for heavy dishes
axelboot
axelboot

Lot of variety...but be prepared for price shock!!

3 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2009

I went here twice only. Just found that it was quite the shock when my meal and my spouse's were weighed.
Lots of $$, not such a big portion.
If you live near here, it is probably ok for you as you'll figure out by trial and error.

Pros: Lot of variety, Excellent desserts
Cons: Expensive
lifeofaveggie
lifeofaveggie

All Aboard the Veg Train

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2009

I visit the Vancouver area several times throughout the year and I am never dissappointed with the veggie/vegan restaurants, and this one is no exception.

The ambiance was very nice and relaxing. I visited G & G around 5pm on a Tuesday so there were not a lot of people and I was pleasantly surprised at how many dishes did not have dairy in them. I tried a little bit of just about everything in the hot food section (very little lol) and everything was delicious and fresh. The chef came out several times to check the food which I appreciated. I also liked how they labeled the food, I didn't have to keep asking "what has milk in it".

I will definitely visit G & G again and I would suggest you do too :-)

By the way, what's up with all the warm water at all of these veggie places lol.

Pros: Location, Spacious, Fresh food
Cons: Paying by the pound
waxnumber3
waxnumber3

needs more nondairy!

3 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2008

this place was nice, but i had a hard time chosing what to eat as all the best looking dishes contained dairy. i ended up with some salad, roasted potatos, and some fruit. not particularly exciting. i've gotta give them props for the nondairy chocolate cream pie though. i wanted to take a whole one home with me!

oh, and as will all pay-by-weight buffets, watch how much you put on your plate. it can get a little expensive.

Pros: vegan chocolate cream pie
Cons: too much cheese
tbrew
tbrew

great experience

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2007

great food, nice variety, friendly helpful staff ,peaceful atmosphere, Miso Tofu was my fav as well as chocolate cream pie....good vegan selection

highly recommended !

Pros: friendly staff, great food selection, nice atmosphere
Marie
Marie

Great for kids!

4 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2007

Although I say this is a great place for children, this place is very quiet and calm.
Greens and Gourmet is my kids' favorite restaurant in Vancouver. My husband never feels like going (he prefers Foundation and the Naam) so I always go when he's not with us. My children (4 and 6) eat so much healthy food when we go and I like the fact that you don't have to wait (it's a buffet style kinda restaurant.) We really like the somosas, tofu in sweet sauce and the salad bar. I have to say the desserts are not my favorite (taste too healthy for me) but I have yet to find very good vegan sweets in Vancouver.

Pros: no wait, very peaceful
Greens
Greens

Managers remarks

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2007

Greens and Gourmet has been serving non violent food for 20 years. We have extensive self serve cold and hot buffets for you to design your own meal, paying by weight. If you are a raw foods person, vegan or vegetarian, you'll be impressed with the choices offered. Personally, I enjoy making my fantasy salad and sampling new dishes like eggplant with green thai curry, or the "mock" meat and chicken dishes.We are not perfect, but we do the best we can. I think all vegetarian restaurants should be commended for their peaceful principles and respect given to all of Gods creatures.

Pros: peaceful atmosphere, friendly staff, fantastic choices of food
Cons: no fixed price menu, no breakfasts

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Greens and Gourmet: