Greenleaf Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. Restaurant by the creek offering some vegetarian dishes and vegan suitable stir-frys. Has a tofu burger, marinated veggie burger. Will accommodate requests - vegans be sure to say no cheese. Non smoking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Pizza, International, Non-veg

anotherangryvegan
anotherangryvegan

Totally overated.

1 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

The vegan options for lunch and dinner are extremely limited and all disappointing with the thai tofu "wrap" being biggest failure as it simply falls apart as soon as it's touched (which might be tolerable if the food had any flavor). The breakfast menu consists of mediocre tofu scrambles and... cereal? Really? Plus the menu only indicates vegetarian options and the server's knowledge of what is and isn't vegan is spotty. Don't waste your time or your money.

Pros: ?, ?, ?
Cons: Limited selection, Boring food, Overpriced
Vegitrd
Vegitrd

Awesome

4 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2012

Great vegetarian food. So many options that we had to return the next morning for breakfast. Nice choices for gluten free vegans as well!

Pros: Quality vegetarian choices , Service, Price
Cons: Internal ambience could be improved
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

I liked it

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

With the bill came a notice encouraging diners to submit reviews to sites like tripadvisor, happycow, etc. - I don't think I've ever been encouraged to do so. If unsatisfied, it was requested that we email or phone the manager or use the comment card. Nice touch. My comments were all very good to excellent (including the pleasant serving staff), but I did request more vegan items on the menu. There are many vegetarian options but not much vegan. I had a local draft beer and the tofu burger, which is a slab of tofu, dredged in herbs, topped with sauteed onions and served on a warm whole-wheat bun with tomato slices and lettuce, a slice of dill pickle and handful of potato chips on the side. Good, filling and just $8.50.

Pros: pleasant staff
Cons: not enough vegan
  • kindlizard kindlizard

I knew they had to be pandering to folks to put up good reviews. Thanks for being honest about that.

AndyLane
AndyLane

Great service with a variety of food choices

4 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2009

Over the last 20-some years, whenever I'm visiting Ashland, I have always stopped in for breakfast. I am mostly-vegetarian, and I have appreciated their range of offerings, from the simple to the more elaborate dishes. I tend more to the simple dishes, so for breakfast I've usually ordered Seed N' Nut Waffle, Bare Stage (eggs, potatoes, bread), Tofu Scramble or Veggie Scramble. All, of which I've very much enjoyed. Basic, good quality food. Fancier meals, such as omelettes, frittatas, cereals, smoothies and more are available for those who would like to explore more than I have.
I've always gotten great service from the waiter/waitress - quick attention, friendly, and informed about what each of the many meals are. Recently, I found out that I am mildly gluten-intolerant, and so I've needed to tell my server about that. I have found the servers to be aware of the restrictions of gluten-intolerance, and they have been very helpful in being willing to suggest and provide substitutions that do not contain gluten. Not all restaurants are willing to do substitutions, and not all are as up-to-speed as Greenleaf.
I do want to point out, however, that although Greenleaf offers many vegetarian meals, it does not specialize in gluten-free. Still, I found that I could find good food, whether it was for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Of course, now when I order, it doesn't include those great Seed N' Nut Waffles or other breads, as they contain gluten. But as I mentioned, the servers are willing to substitute wherever possible.

Pros: Healthy food, A variety of offerings, Skilled staff
Cons: Not specifically gluten-free

tizzylish
tizzylish

• non-vegetarian

Love it!!!

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2007

I am a local and have been eating at the Greenleaf for over 10 years now...I like the wide variety of the menu...You can get almost anything...Their breakfasts are great, my favorite is the tofu scramble, and I'm not even vegetarian of vegan...The lunch and dinner menu is very extensive...I like the way they will accomidate any special needs if they can...The service is great, I come in so much that they know me by name, I feel like I'm at a friends house...My favorite place to sit is upstairs on the deck, you can hear the creek and get a feel for being in nature...Thank you Greenleaf for being a locals favorite...Keep up the good work!!!

Pros: outside seating, tables and booths

No thanks
    That was by far one of the worst meals of my life. The only thing good was that the waitress kept my coffee filled. The scramble was bland as all can be, the taters were inedible and the bread was not their usual since none others were vegan. Seriously, for a vegan, which I understand you are not, it was hell. Try going their as a vegan next time you go, with fresh eyes. You will likely see what I mean. You and the others must be passionate about this cafe, you all sign up for the sole reason of giving it props, just like the owner did.
    Curiously, you say you are not vegan nor veggie. Did you try going as a vegan yet? You'll find it no so easy once there.

all the good reviews are from people who work there, they only have one review, just like the owner who joined to spam the board. This place is more for real people trying to gauge where a vegan and veg person can eat quality meals whether it be on the road or close to home. Please stop your spam efforts.

kindlizard
kindlizard

What are you all talking about?

1 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2007

You'd expect rolling into this place from all the reviews here that this was a really good place and you'd be able to get a decent meal. They had 2 things on the menu that were vegan. How does a solid veg place not cater to vegans as well? The one thing the waitress said was not very good, an acquired taste. The waitress was great, kept my coffee filled. Thats the only good thing about this place. Although Pilaf has meat, they had more vegan options than this place. The tofu scramble I had was gross. They had to give me a french bread since no breakfast breads were vegan. The taters were not good either. I am not sure what all the awesome reviews are for. My lady love similarly was unimpressed w her eggs.

Pros: Waitress honest and , attentive to filling up , coffee
Cons: Vegan selection, disgusting tofu dish, price
  • kindlizard kindlizard

As a vegan for 13 years who has eaten coast to coast let me tell you in case you want more truthful feedback that this was one of the grossest meals I ever ate, which I did so only because it cost as much as it did.

1~ I didn't "overlook" anything. I asked both the hostess and the server who both in turn asked the cook. How is that "overlooking" anything if I straight up ask your people what is the deal? Maybe if your attitude was less the way it is and more informative to your own staff than you would not have to be here defending such terrible dining experiences.

1~Just because you want to list something on the menu, it isn't for me to extrapolate from it if you use dairy in your preparations. Similarly, if you trained your staff, from the hostess, servers and cooks, to learn what is vegan on your menu, you would NOT need to use this helpful resource of a website to advertise your menu.

2~ You need to tell the cook to stop using dairy, if he says it isn't vegan, then usually he would be the one to know and it ain't close to being vegan by a far stretch. Maybe he decided to stray from your longstanding recipes.

3~ I did check you out, and other than the bad food, the sleepy morning music made it a such a drag I felt like I was there multiple times. Or is that just how you wanted to end your infomercial?

NEVER EVER again!!!!

• kindlizard kindlizard

also notice the only good reviews are by people who signed up to only review this place.

• daniel daniel

As the owner/manager for 23 years i appreciate the feedback. A few comments are in order...
    1-we are not a vegan or vegetarian restaurant...we offer a wide variety of choices to please any diet.
    2-our breakfast menu lists quite a few vegan items you must have overlooked...organic/vegan polenta, organic/vegan kasha(buckwheat is an acquired taste but delicious), organic brown rice, organic oatmeal, organic granola w/organic soy milk,organic local bagels, grilled organic tofu, sauteed fresh veggies and of course the tofu scramble which we think is fantastic.
    3-our lunch and dinner menu also includes the following vegan items...hummus appetizer,tofu satay, french fries, always 1 or 2 vegan soups, our vegan salad, any of our 20+ salads (ordered without meat or dairy), tofu fajita wrap, thai tofu wrap, 3 tofu burgers, hummus sandwich, veggie sandwich, avo sandwich, pasta primavera, spaghetti marinara,rice and veggies, teriyaki or satay rice and veggies, baked potaotes with grilled mushrooms or vegetables in addition to our daily specials.
    So, come check us out...after 23 we still seem to please most everyone...remember, we are not a vegan restaurant...we are known for our extensive menu...lots of choices. thanks...daniel

Echo
Echo

• non-vegetarian

The best on the plaza!

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2006

I have lived in Ashland for seven years, and Greenleaf is one of my favorite restaurants. Throughout the years, their staff has always been consistant with their menu knowledge and friendliness. Thier food has many choices, more than are even on the menu. Anyway you want or need something made, Greenleaf can make it. Greenleaf is the best pick on the plaza for any meal, breakfast (til noon), lunch, or dinner.

Dear Owner and Manager of Greenleaf Restaurant: