Green Day

At Rynek Glowny Market Square, east of St. Mary's Church in old town. In 2013 it took over the Green Way Classic Mikolajska that was here. Similar menu and concept. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Salad bar, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out
Mikolajska 14
Krakow, Poland 31-027

Open Mon-Fri 10am-10pm, Sat 11am-9pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by nclarken
MalloryWillson
MalloryWillson

Nothing special

2 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

The food was okay but really nothing special. A little bit without taste.

Pros: staff, localisation
Cons: tasteless food
SecretSnackeress
SecretSnackeress

Hearty meals, mouthwatering vegetarian food!

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2014

My favourite meal here: Green Day Extra Mix which is a combination of 6 dishes and salads: soya cutlets in a mushroom sauce served with rice and buckwheat, bean and pepper goulash, mouthwatering Hindu kofta in creamy tomato sauce, cauliflower & green beans pakora and more plus coleslaw, beets and carrot salad (photo attached). They also offer freshly squeezed juices and various other dishes and desserts. Vegan dishes available.

Pros: a wide range of food and drink , generous portions, easy to find
Eric_
Eric_

Average

3 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

Nothing more, nothing less. I'd go again if I felt out of options when in that area.

Cons: Staff was a bit too carefree
gregdere
gregdere

We were glad to find this nice restaurant

4 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

A nice vegetarian/ vegan self service. In the heart of Krakow, near Small Market Square. Well worth the money spent. Inexpensive. In extensive use by locals. Wonderful soups and nice second dishes. The stuff is helpful and efficient. We did return, since it has lovely atmosphere and we enjoyed their food. I would not recommend their coffee. Indian food with Polish inclination
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 07, 2013

Pros: Location, Tasty food, Vegan/ Vegetarian
Cons: coffee, Indian / Polish
Trzmiel
Trzmiel

Makes your day greener...

4 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2013

Nice place to have some good veggie lunch. The interior is not spectacular but cozy.

We tried the Enchilada and some fried potato cutlets with mushroom sauce. Both were absolutely okay and reasonable concerning the price.

Also the juice bar looked quite good but we didn't tried it. Maybe next time!

In general a nice place to stay. Personally I would suggest it to a vegetarian who stays in Krakow and looks for something nice and simple to eat.

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere, reasonable prices
Cons: staff could be more friendly
pacopaco
pacopaco

It's Green Day now - and basically that's it...

2 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

I have been here 4 or 5 times during the last year. Except for the recent name change (they supposedly decided to part ways with the "Green Way" restaurant chain - but you can still find the "Green Way mixed plate" on the menu ;) no sign of innovation here. The modernized "Green Way" franchise you'll now find on Krupnicza street

The place is very typical of polish self-service, pay-upfront, return-your-plates "restaurants" - not that I were troubled by any of these, just informing. Vegan options are limited to four or so, veganization doesn't mean substituting animal-derived products, but simply omitting these. Food quality is average at best and the usual, uninspired enchilada-samosa-polish staple food eclecticism. Nothing is made fresh, all re-hash. Don't think of this place as healthy or eco-friendly, the name is all that's "green" here.

If you have alternatives - choose them.

Pros: Close to the Main Square, re-hashed food (fast)
Cons: Not very vegan-friendly, re-hashed food (poor taste), bland, boring, don't bother
Heidi Stecker
Heidi Stecker

Good situation

4 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

in the historic centre in the oldtown near/behind the kathedral. similar to other Greenway restaurants in poland, the same principle with self-service and canteen-like atmosphere. a cheap and pleasant restaurant with an English menu, but no so cosy. to relax you have to eat here and than leave to look for an other location. the menu is extensive, very reasonably priced and the staff speak English. for the big hunger!

Pros: Location , friendly staff, good value
AlisonJ_10
AlisonJ_10

Quick and easy veggie food near the main square

3 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2013

This café seems now to be called Green Day. Don't know if it has changed owners. Self-service was very quick, and food was tasty - we chose pakoras and cabbage patties. Prices fairly cheap, but salads were extra and staff were not particularly helpful. Were disappointed that we couldn't get a beer with our meal. Good location, though as it is just off the main square. Worth using for a quick veggie meal.

Pros: quick , central location
Cons: only soft drinks or coffe/tea
travelswithveg
travelswithveg

Quite average veggie restaurant in Krakow

3 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

Ate here this summer as had been to a branch in Gdansk earlier in the year. Was quite disappointed, my cabbage rolls were ok, but my partners Greek salad was quite tasteless and I don't think we would eat here again.

beegantravels
beegantravels

Would Not Recommend

2 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

I only ate here once during my stay in Krakow and I actually left food on my plate (even though I hadn't eaten in a good long while) because the salad didn't taste very fresh and I couldn't force myself to eat any more of it. I also left very hungry even though I ate the majority of what was on my plate.

Cons: not very filling, salad was too gross to eat
Ophee
Ophee

Tell Before if Vegan, but Good

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

I really liked my dish, my boyfriends, and especially their vegan apple cake. The service was quick but put cheese on my enchilada when the menu didnt say it had any so I had to bring it back and tell them no cheese. Acted a bit annoyed but it didnt say it on the menu. Good location!

Pros: Good location, Great vegan dessert, Quick service
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Not impressed

3 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2013

I went here because it had a lot of hype, and I wasn't impressed at all.

First, it's definitely the most expensive veg place in Krakow. Second, the food was not great at all. I can make much better at home, and I have no professional training.

I couldn't decide what to order, so I asked the girl at the counter to recommend something vegan. She recommended the enchilada, which was a huge mistake. I've lived in southern America, so I know tex-mex food. This wasn't it. Definitely the worst enchilada I've had. If you've never been to Texas or Mexico, maybe you would like it. I didn't even eat half of it.

Pros: All-veg
Cons: Not impressed with food
Jal
Jal

Vegetarian's Choice

4 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2012

As a vegetarian we were searching good place to eat after a long walk in old town and found greenway. What to say.. .food was too good .we had indian kofta( cottage cheese balls) with creamy tomaty suace , salad ,rice and veggie curry was also there. All in one dish.Also try dessert and soup of the day ..

So do a visit even if you are not vegan for health fresh n tasty food.and price is very reasonable if compared with with quantity of food.

Now i would like to visit it in my city also Warsaw..!!

Pros: Healthy dishes, reasonable price, Nice staff
necropalice
necropalice

Surprisingly disappointing.

2 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2012

I'm surprised to see so many 4 and 5 cow reviews for Green Way.

We didn't realise English menus were available, so admittedly we weren't 100% clear on what we were ordering, but the staff didn't offer English alternatives, despite laughing at our terrible Polish and conducting the rest of the transaction in English.

I ordered the falafel which was smothered with mayonnaise before I could stop the server, so switched for the more vegan-friendly samosas. My brother ordered pakora, and both our dishes came covered in this horribly bland curry-flavoured gravy.

The portions were really generous and good value for money, and we enjoyed the broad selection of juices. My mother was really pleased with the falafel and rated it very highly, but I was unimpressed by the quality of my food.

The interior was lovely - very clean, bright and comfortable, and there was a good crowd eating an early supper. I may have just chosen poorly, so would recommend fellow Happy Cowers ensure they ask for the English menu and avoid the curry-based dishes.

Pros: big portions, extensive menu, cheap
Cons: tasted bland
Ksiu
Ksiu

Number one in Krakow

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2012

We have been to several vegetarian cafes in Krakow during our stay there. And this one won our votes for a few reasons: friendly staff, pleasant atmosphere, reasonable prices (really cheap), large portions, good value of food, wide choice of dishes, excellent location. The only thing that can be improved is marking vegan options (matters for vegans). But this is not a problem because the staff are always ready to tell you which dishes are vegan.

Pros: Very reasonable prices, Large portions, Good value
Amy1274
Amy1274

Polish cuisine made vegan...

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

...I can recommend the soups in particular, but generally it's always been good. English menu available on request. Like all Green Way cafes the staff are friendly and know which potions are vegan. Nice decor also.

Pros: choice, quantity
borkdude
borkdude

Excellent food/price ratio

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

My wife and I dined here twice, because we could not find a better option for a vegetarian meal with relatively freshly tasting ingredients. We were surprised by how fresh everything tasted, because our expectations were not too high of a self service fast foodish restaurant. The lentil soup, creamy beet soup and Mexican plate with buckwheat were excellent. Big portions, low budget. We were too stuffed to try out dessert!

lolchoff
lolchoff

Wonderful Restaurant... great food and location

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2012

I highly recommend Green Way. The salad was fresh and delicious. It had plenty of fresh greens in it, unlike other salads I had in Poland that were heavy on the cabbage and beets. The soup was equally wonderful, flavourful and hearty. For desert I ordered the berry smoothie was one of the best I've had in years; it contained lots of berries in a rich yogurt base.

Green Way is self-serve and reasonably priced with a pleasant decor and very clean. The only potential drawback is that in order to use the the washrooms, I needed to walk downstairs through a bar to use their facilities. However, the bar was quite gracious about allowing me to walk through, so it seems they must have an arrangement in place.

I highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Healthy wholesome food, English menu, good value
Cons: bathroom downstairs thru bar
lovela5
lovela5

Boring & blend food

2 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2012

I used to go there often however their food got very boring and it kinda feels like they dont use any spices. Everything is very blend. I was lucky once to order a gazpacho there which was pretty good. But thats about it. Their vegetarian food is a lot better, I'm vegan now tho.

For vegetarians I can highly recommend their green gnocchi with vegetable sauce ! They also have good aloe juice and assortment of freshly squeezed juiced.

Pros: freshly squeezed juices, few locations in big cities in Poland, good localization
Cons: blend, boring, microwaved
hack_man
hack_man

There's no better way than Green Way

4 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2012

Well, there is a better way than Green Way but it just reminded me of a jingle from an old UK TV advert so I had to get it in. This is basically the old Green Way that has been here for years but has undergone a re-branding for some reason as they have done in Warsaw. You can't fail to get a great feed here, the choice is amazing, portion sizes are filling and the prices superb. Vegan choice here is excellent from the soups to the desserts. There is a nice raised seating area above the main restaurant which is great for people watching as the crowds flock to and from the Rynek Glowny very close by. The location is simply amazing, right in the Stare Miasto in the heart of the tourist zone. I usually go for the soup here to start the day off and the traditional Polish Bigos as a main course. It's worth studying the menu closely before you order as the staff are usually on top of you as soon as you step close to the counter. There are better vegetarian places in Krakow but I will always have a lot of time for Green Way.

Pros: cheap, choice, portion sizes
Cons: gets hot in summer, no alcohol
pointypix
pointypix

cheap and substantial

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

On a recent trip to Krakow, we visited 6 veggie/vegan restaurants listed on Happy Cow. We loved this place. Massive portions for less than the price of a sandwich in Britain! The mexican tofu stew was delicious and perfect on a bitterly cold day. We had lunch here 3 times and even my meat eating husband was veryimpressed.

Pros: Excellent food, great value, good selection
Veggie Mama
Veggie Mama

Bland food, but soup was good

2 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2012

Bland food. Went there several years ago, but the hot soup was quite good. I would rather go to Glonjad or Karma Cafe. It's same as the other Green ways and not organic also. Just standard veggie bar offerings.

Pros: good soup
Cons: bland, standard fare, nothing special
nclarken
nclarken

Greenway, just a bit Krakowian

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

Similar to other Greenway restaurants this is a very cheap, pleasant cafe/restaurant. Good location, in the historic centre, the menu is extensive, very reasonably priced and the staff speak English (there is also an English menu available). While by no means exotic Greenway serves cheap, reliable vegetarian food. 10-15zl for a main dish.

Pros: Cheap, Range of dishes, Location

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Day: