Green Vegetarian Cuisine -...

Kosher vegetarian restaurant featuring southern American comfort food with daily specials plus desserts, fresh fruit smoothies, organic teas and coffee. Has gluten free menu and box lunch service. Casual atmosphere with counter service. Family owned and operated. Moved to this location in 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, American, International, Kosher, Catering
200 E Grayson St Ste 120 (Full Goods Bldg)
San Antonio, Texas 78215
210-320-5865

Mon-Thu 8:00am-9:00pm, Fri 8:00am-8:00pm, Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

First Review by plazamj
JoanScotVilla
JoanScotVilla

When a vegan is hungry ....... here you go

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

I love love love the Green! Pancakes, burgers, enchiladas, cupcakes! Just go. Enjoy. Try stuff. It's awesome and the people are great!

pegleg
pegleg

Exceptional place

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2014

Food was amazing services phenomal highly recommended. Great for vegans. Totally impressed such a find

Pros: Great food, Great services , Great time
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Great food

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

Great veg food, lots of vegan options. Good option for breakfast except that they're not open on Saturday :/

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Good place for breakfast
Cons: Closed on Saturday

alxsrbraun
alxsrbraun

Very successful vegetarian restaurant chain in TX

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

Green just opened their third location (in Houston), and they're about to open the first vegetarian drive through in Texas.

Great menu - don't miss the kale salad side. Also amazing: protein salad, chik'n parmesan, and the vegan nachos (their frijoles are fantastic)! All desserts are vegan options.

Don't miss their vegan breakfast options! Thank you, Green. I've missed eating breakfast out.

Great location at Pearl Brewery Complex.

Pros: Great food; tons of options , Great location; cool place, Breakfast options
sandykaren
sandykaren

Greens saved me!

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2014

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and had to be in San Antonio for work. I stayed on the Riverwalk and while there are some places that have a few vegan options, it wasn't ideal. I walked to Greens (a lovely long walk along the river) and had a wonderful meal there. I had the Protein Salad and was amazed at how good the roasted tofu was. The pecan hummus was so different and delicious and the Almond Joy cupcake was one of the best vegan baked goods I've ever eaten. I have to go back to San Antonio in late June and I will be eating here as often as possible.

Pros: Great food, Staff was super friendly, reasonable prices
beetsrock
beetsrock

Mediterranean Madness

4 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

Visiting San Antonio with a posse of vegans and looking for a compassionate place to eat. We landed at Green for Sunday Brunch and LOVED it. Extensive menu with choices ranging from healthy to comfort food (big nasty burger) so there is something guaranteed to please. My Mediterranean Bowl was filled with tabouli, pecan hummus, dolmas, tzatziki, kale salad, falafel and lots of other tasty things. There were "yums" all around our table. The restaurant was packed, but service was friendly and speedy. Would definitely go for a repeat visit. Would be great to see the menu shift from veg to vegan and go cruelty-free!

Pros: everything can be made vegan, extensive menu, outdoor dining
Backtothegarden
Backtothegarden

Miss your original location

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

Still love Green but am no longer a regular now that you've moved. Senor Veggie is now my go-to restaurant.

Really like the addition of Gardein products but wish you hadn't eliminated my favorites from your menu. These include the buffalo tofu fingers, onion rings, neatloaf entree and sub, "fish" sandwich, reuben carne, guisada and zuchinni enchiladas.

Favorites include coconut cilantro rice, poblano mayo, fried mushrooms, fried pickles and chalupa plate.

Everything at Green is fresh and delicious.

Still wish you hadn't moved and would quit eliminating my favs from your menu!

sarahandjesse
sarahandjesse

Our favorite restaurant!

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

This is my husband and I's favorite restaurant! I have never had a meal here that I did not thoroughly enjoy. The food is delicious, the service outstanding, and the atmosphere pleasant. We are vegan, and almost everything on the menu can be made vegan. The only problem you'll have with Green is deciding what to order!

saveur
saveur

Hit or miss, but mostly delicious

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2014

I really enjoyed my meal here. Cheap, plentiful and delicious. I had the beet down juice which was very flavourful but the garlic was a bit zingy for my liking. I had the raw collard wrap which was nice although fell apart easily. I sampled my friends' dishes which were great (more flavourful than mine). They really do the sauces very well! The sesame chicken (seitan) was well flavoured, the chopped BBQ quesadilla (not vegan) had a strong BBQ flavour within the sauce but was nice and crisp. The special of the day was crispy asian eggplant with a delicious sauce over rice and steamed broccoli. The kale salad (side) was delicious. Simple but very flavourful. The refried beans were more like baked beans and were ok. My friends thought the vegan cupcakes were very good but I didn't try them. I wish I was staying longer so I could go back. I ended up taking half my collard wrap home as leftovers.

Edited to add: The food can be a bit hit-or-miss. I came back a second day and the kale salad was so spicy I had to return it. The macrobiotic plate was great though, which I took home mostly as leftovers since it was so huge. The raw sushi was a bit lacklustre.

Visited March 2011

Pros: wide variety of options
Cons: lack of consistency
Zetakitten2
Zetakitten2

Not want I expected

2 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2013

Today while visiting the lovely city of San Antonio, I was sooo excited to try this vegan/vegetarian restaurant. Boy this was not what I expected. For starters they don't serve setain (wheat meat) which is the healthiest vegetarian substitute meat there is. Another issue is that almost everything had nuts in it. I'm a vegetarian and I'm highly allergic to nuts. Also most of the meals were premixed and couldn't have the onions removed. Lastly, they put coconut in the rice that they serve. Somehow my waiter didn't not understand that coconut is also a nut...hmmmmm. Also the customer service was ok because they quickly want to remove your dirty plate yet they didn't offer my boyfriend a refill on water and they made it appear inconvenient to ask for mustard for a burger. They wanted to put their special mayo on EVERYTHING!!! They brought my boyfriend several packages of mustard...come on guys stop being so CHEAP!!!! Is mustard not vegan or vegetarian!!! When in SA again I probably will not visit this place. I prefer to eat at Vegan Places like Loving Hut in Arlington, TX and Spiral Diner in Fort Worth/Dallas, TX.

Pros: Helpful waiters, Seated quickly
Cons: Nuts in almost every entree, Meals are not customized, Limited options for food allergies
askkaren
askkaren

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this place!

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

I have been a Green fan for years! The food, the staff, the owner(s) are all awesome, and they truly care about the world. They don't have unlimited $to do it all, but they set the bar really, really high and I appreciate that!

MissMelodyAnn
MissMelodyAnn

Best place in town!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2013

My husband and I are regulars at this place for a reason, we go about twice a week! Can't seem to get enough. This is a definite place to try if you live in or visit San Antonio. We are vegan and anything on the menu with dairy can easily be made without!! I love Green!! And Chris the Chef/Owner Rocks too, his amazing upbeat attitude definitely makes worth visiting often!!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Clean Place, Amazing Food
Cons: There should be more locations
HeatherSwindell
HeatherSwindell

Veggie Delight done RIGHT!

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

I love Green. Let me restate: I LOVE GREEN! I can't say enough good stuff about this place. Their food is excellent. Their staff is friendly. The new location in the Pearl Brewery is starting to get a lived-in feel, and the patio is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy a meal when the weather is nice.

I recently moved from San Antonio, but while I lived there, I was a constant customer at Green. As in... every day. And I NEVER had a bad meal there. Ever. This place does veggie food RIGHT. Most of their food is actually vegan, or can be made vegan by switching Daiya for cheese and tofu for eggs (at breakfast).

A few of my favorites:

Breakfast:
Avocado Tofu Benedict. Scrambled, delicious seasoned tofu on a toasted wheat bun with spicy chipotle mayo (all condiments and breads are vegan) and avocado, with a side of garlic hashbrowns. YUM.

Lunch/dinner:

Sesame chik'n. I don't like mushrooms. This dish makes me love them. Always get the kale salad as a side -- the Asian flavor of the soy sauce and apple cider vinegar (among other things) in their amazing homemade kale salad dressing is a perfect complement to the spicy sesame sauce. The coconut cilantro rice turns down the spicy temperature.

Chik'n fried steak. This fried wheatmeat is smothered in the most savory, delicious gravy anyone could dream of. The mashed potatoes are a house blend of regular and sweet potatoes, so smooth and creamy you'd never guess they're vegan.

Chopped BBQ sandwich. Amazing. If you don't like salt, though, you likely won't care for this, as it's a bit high on the sodium content. Makes perfect food coma-inducing indulgence if you add a side of their garlic salt-sprinkled homemade French fries.

Orange tofu. This is a new addition to their specials, and it's delicious, though VERY spicy (heavy on the red pepper flakes).

Buffalo tofu fingers. Yes, they're an appetizer, but can be a meal in themselves. Yum.

Their sweet tea changes daily, but my favorite flavors are the peach and the peach raspberry.

Their desserts are all vegan and all amazing. I recommend the s'more cookie or the candy bar cupcake if you like baked goods, but their soft serve soy ice cream is not to be missed.

The staff are friendly -- pretty much everyone knew me on sight and by name, knew my customer id number (for their dining rewards program - ask them about it!), and knew my usual order. In short, a meal at Green always felt like coming home.

Green is expanding to open a restaurant in Houston, as well.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff understand vegan lifestyl, Neat location downtown (patio!)
Cons: Nothing! This place is the gold standard
Dara.Skara
Dara.Skara

Can't wait to go again!

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

This review is past it's prime as I haven't been there in quite a few years for location reasons. Once I'm in the area, I'll be back with my hubby! I've only been there twice and loved it both times! Delicious food, yummy passionfruit iced tea, nice staff! Never too crowded!

Pros: Delicious food!, Nice staff!
Cons: A bit pricey, but I undertand why.
jollycoolmon
jollycoolmon
  • raw

green theme

2 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2013

pros: Veg, recycling logo, wise environment impact responsible resource business themes;
cons: While high marks for delivering longevity restaurant
product of standing meatless menu {no small feat}, along with excellent themes of recycling, green living/green eating, etc. are to be commended; There is so far to go overcoming the typical restaurant issues of: management/ownership, providing stress-free atmosphere, retaining an Ept staff of refinement, waste, bi-product, and energy use/ abuse, noise, etc. Not much available for veg / vegan /raw community or health type folks in an otherwise forward-leaning region. Even so, any novice will be no less-the-better for visiting a farmer stand or even grocery. 2nd to surviving the restaurant business with the distinction of no-meat menu, What is most impressive is the re-use of a nice brick structure re-fitted for the theme.

Pros: interactive outrreach {eat green}, garden-like landscapeing, initiative-business model
Cons: no compost no recycling, poorly maintained props @ best, stressful, rushed atmosphere; energy hog
pjk1106
pjk1106

An oasis in San Antonio!

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2013

I quickly learned on my first San Antonio business trip that vegetarian options are pretty slim in this town. Fortunately I found Green Vegetarian Cuisine on the internet and it was only 2 miles from my hotel via the Riverwalk. I've eaten at Green 3 times since then and have been thoroughly delighted with each meal. My personal favorite is the Raw Meal Wrap, and also enjoyed the Quinoa Burrito and Green Enchiladas. Do try a side of Quinoa tabouli - I would love to duplicate this at home - Absolutely delicious! And if you save room for dessert, the vegan cupcakes are outstanding :)

Pros: Fantastic food with good prices, Friendly servers, Casual, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: There is no Green in my town :(
AMuellerTX
AMuellerTX

Tasty food, good prices

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

Friendly service, great flavors, many options. Really enjoyed the GF, Vegan cupcake! Large restaurant, many tables (in and outside), fun decor, open design and clean.

Pros: Good value, Many options, Tasty food
Cons: Google maps was a little off, Could have more GF options
MarciaM
MarciaM

There on a bad day.

3 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

It started out positive. But turned south quickly.
No green tea. Ordered a Salad followed by a veggie bowl. Hubby ordered green burger with side of sweet potato fries. Asked for no cheese on my dish as I am vegan gluten free. Veggie bowl came out first with cheese on it. Sent back. Hubbies burger arrived minus his s.p. Fries.
I get my salad....no dressing. Ended up with raspberry vinaigrette which is not my dressing of choice. Asked for evo/vinegar....no luck. Hubby did not get his fries for quite awhile. He was already done his burger when they landed. My veggie bowl was a disappointment. Beans and rice scooped onto salad greens.
Staff very chaotic, unorganized.
Too bad as great location and fun decor.
We travel extensively always searching out veggie dining. Usually good. We drove away saying that this veggie place was our first negative experience in the veggie restaurant world.

Pros: Good enviroment, Good menu
Cons: Unorganized, Food bland, Poor service
Jfilonowich
Jfilonowich

Excellent Food

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

Over a 5 day trip to San Antonio we ate at Green three times. Every meal was excellent and I loved that I could get daiya cheese on anything. I recommend the artichoke quesadilla and the avocado Benedict made with their fabulous tofu scramble. I would not order the protein salad again. It was just not great.

Pros: great choices, yummy food, well priced
Cons: new location is not on happy cow yet
Julie R
Julie R

OH YUM - FANTASTIC MEAL!

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2013

This is my new favorite place!! (I say that a lot, but this really is.) I am only in San Antonio for one day, so, unfortunately, I won't get to eat here again.

Please note that I ate when Green was on Flores - about a mile and a half from the Alamo area. (I mention that because my review is specific about the building the restaurant was in.) This is a great building with lots of character and surrounded by a nice garden. They have plenty of indoor seating, in 3 different areas, and have outdoor seating as well (the outdoor seating is dog-friendly). The service was impeccable from the moment I walked in the door! I loved everything about it.

The restaurant has a very versatile menu; including a section for "light fare". I skipped right over that light fare nonsense (I was hungry!) and went to the hearty Chicken Fried Steak (battered and fried wheat meat smothered in brown gravy and served with mashed potatoes and kale). It was unbelievably delicious. I'm not a huge fan of kale, but whatever this kale was cooked with, it gave it a delicious flavor. It was truly one of the best meals I have ever had - and was only $9. I also had a delicious peach iced tea - it was SO good.

I have been a vegetarian for about 25 years and I don't cook. So, when I go to places like this where they serve what I call "fake meat," I am in awe of the flavor of it. I don't even know what wheat meat is, but I know how good this was. I dare anybody from the South who knows what real chicken fried steak is, to try this and not love it!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 02, 2012

Pros: Fantastic Food, Great Service, Reasonable Prices
Cons: It's not where I live
BeanCounter
BeanCounter

Great Place

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2012

Traveling with my wife, and we absolutely loved this place. Good food, and really friendly staff.

Pros: lots of options, smoothies
saveggie
saveggie

Positive exeperience

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

Many great dishes. I love this place since it was opened. Kudos to Chris and Mike. Where did they find the cute little Asian sweetie? I'd love to take my co-workers here for a quick lunch. Some of the older waitresses are too pushy. Other than few un-pleasant encounters, I always have a good time visiting this place. I'd suggest Mike/Chris to scrub the menu, perhaps let the customer vote to get rid some of the less appetite dishes.

Pros: good food, excellent dressing
Cons: need more cute waitress
Suz
Suz

better and better!

4 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2011

love this funky place!! green kitchen gardens out front, rain barrels and lots of other fun stuff make this a great place to chow when you're hungry. decent prices with point system rewards loyal customers. :D

food is good, often great... staff is friendly and helpful and they're almost always coming up with even better dishes.

do like the new place in Alon, but downtown is def my favorite. Sunday brunch is always fun. Monday pizza nights with excellent handmade whole grain crust and vegan cheese mmmmm.... and desserts are *always* a treat!! also love 'egg' salad sandwich that Mama Lulu created, but guess it's not popular enough so they said it's coming off the menu. (sigh)

you've come a long way, baby... it's a pleasure to stop by, for a filling, healthy meal and find out what's new and improved on the menu!

Pros: gSunday mornings!! (and biscuits!), ATMOSPHERE inside and PATIO!! , Delicious, creative food
Cons: country music , undervalued waitstaff, closed on Sat
windysgarden
windysgarden

Green and Delish

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2011

I visited San Antonio this past weekend and so happy to find a couple of really great vegan/vegetarian restaurants in this fair city. I went to the Flores location and had a fantastic lunch. I had "Mike's Sandwich" which has wham (which I believe is a vegan spam), spinach, guacamole and habanero jelly. Yum! The wham was cut very thin and was very delicious. The sandwich was huge. I also had a Ginger Bomb juice which was also quite delicious. To top it off the server was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant has a great vibe and was very busy when I went early afternoon. The waitress informed me that this location is now vegan. This must be new as their menu states that they can veganize any menu item. She also shared that their other location is vegetarian and not vegan. What a treat for those who live in San Antonio and those visiting.

Pros: Fresh, Great Variety, Friendly
jasonstarr
jasonstarr

Fantabulimsical!!!

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

There are supposedly three things every restaurant tries to master: Food, Service, and ambience. Some manage one or two, but few master all three. Green has done that! Their food is fantastic. Their service is fabulous. And, their ambience is whimsical and charming. As a recently indoctrinated vegetarian, I found it reassuring to have the ability to eat fabulous food while not missing the meat I was accustomed to. Green's owners' caring attitude is conveyed to every customer by every one of their servers. This feeling of being family, even on your first visit, has made every one of my visits there a joyous occasion. Finally, the eclectic decor helps the experience be about connecting with people and food without going overboard on accoutrements. The only drawback is that it's a 25 minute drive from home. We need another one closer to the Alamo Ranch area, if you please!

Pros: fabulous food, great decor, uberfriendly staff
Cons: driving distance

Every Two Weeks.........

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2011

The food is excellent. Made on the spot. The coffee is hot, and the desserts are very good. I drive to San Antonio every two weeks to buy groceries and I always stop at Green.

Pros: Fresh Made, Variety, Hot Coffee
Cons: 180 miles from home
bclarktn
bclarktn

HOLLY COW

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2011

I've never had food so good before. this place is amazing. My wife and i were here in June 2011 celebrating our 25th. We found this place from the Happy Cow Website. we were only blocks away in our hotel so we decided to try Sunday brunch. It was incredible. we both loved our meal. As a matter of fact, we went back on Monday to have lunch there. Monday i had the Veggie burger. superb. Really, this place is doing it right. both days the place was packed out. I can tell it has become a local's favorite. Well in our book, it's our favorite to date for vegan food. We will come again next visit to San Antonio. Luann, you have 2 very talented boys, Mike and Chris. Keep up the fantastic job fellas.

Pros: choices, price, taste
Cons: location, parking
ErikaAnne
ErikaAnne

Always something

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2011

This is by far my fav place in the whole city. Being a vegan their aren't many options here when it comes to eating out but Green never lets me down. There is always an abundance to choose from. Their juices and smoothies are amazing and I am more then happy to juice eat that every day!

They have tons of desert too and we even had the baker (A small nice girl) come out and talk to us about her amazing cakes and how they could help me with vegan cakes at our wedding and parties. This was during the lunch rush too! On that note, the turn around is amazing too. You get your food fast and perfect.

They have been featured in Veg times and tons of other papers and web sites.

Pros: Affordable, Fast, healthy
Sherry Cushman
Sherry Cushman
  • fruititarian

Fresh, Delicious and Gluten free options

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2011

The food is reall fresh and flavorful. Plus, they have a seperate gluten free menu! So nice to find a place that grows a lot of their won ingredients and is vegan with gluten free options. I am the pickiest eater and this place was awesome. The owner and staff are superb and the ambience is fun and friendly. They are opening a new location soon of the NW side. Yeah!

Pros: Gluten Free options, Fresh ingredients, Delicious
KimberlyClosner
KimberlyClosner

Most delicious!!

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2011

I love this place so much. They have the best breakfast items such as the vegan French toast and tofu scramble! Their portobello burger with the chipotle mayo is to die for!!! And dont even get me started on their desserts. This is my favorite restaurant. Anyone that I'm trying to persuade to try veganism, I bring here so they can see that plant based food doesn't have be boring and bland.

Pros: Great food, Great desserts , Great service
Cons: Need more locations :)
SusanEst
SusanEst

Love this place!

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2011

Since I have been visiting in San Antonio, I have eaten twice at Green Vegetarian Cuisine and have been thoroughly delighted each time. First time we were a party of six; I had the vegan burrito and most of my companions had a lasagna they were offering that day. We were all very happy. My second visit my friend and I shared the fried pickles which were probably not the healthiest thing on the menu, but very yummy. My friend choose a healthy salad with couscous and spinach, etc. which she loved and I had the pasta with mushrooms... Wow!!! That was to die for. Although so were the vegan cupcakes we had for dessert. If I lived in San Antonio, I would be there as often as possible. Super nice people, too, and I also love that they grow their own veggies right on the premises! I give this place ten stars;-)

Vegan Bon
Vegan Bon

Delicious!

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2011

Being vegan, we were a little nervous about choosing San Antonio as a vacation destination. But thank goodness for Green! We enjoyed five meals there during our four-day visit to the city. The selections range from super-healthy to decadent. Our favorites were the vegan breakfast chimichangas, migas, kale salad (wow!), eggplant parmesan sandwich, and the fried mushrooms. On our last visit there, Chris (co-owner) gave us a sample of the Chopped BBQ sandwich. It was so good! Oh, and the vegan cupcakes and cookies were incredible! Everyone there is super friendly - even the other customers! My husband and I both highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Cool old building
Cons: Closed Saturdays
Sarana
Sarana

Wonderful food, great people

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

When my son and his family moved to San Antonio, I thought I'd have to eat ice berg lettuce or sub par cheese pizza when we ate out. Then I found out about Green. I've been a vegetarian--near vegan--for over a decade and I'm here to tell you that Green has some of the best tasting, creatively prepared and affordable vegetarian and vegan dishes I've eaten. And the desserts are all vegan and fabulous. Don't miss the Kale Salad--amazing.

Pros: delicious, organic, friendly
robram611
robram611

DELICIOUS!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2011

Run, don't walk, to this quiet little gem near downtown San Antonio! The food is delicious, the service is exceptional, the owners (who were there when we visited and judging from the other reviews sound like they practically LIVE there!) are as friendly as can be, and did I mention that the food is DELICIOUS!?!?! My husband, who is not a vegetarian (yet) took me in for a late lunch last Sunday afternoon and we have nothing but good things to say about our experience here. About two minutes after our meal arrived at our table, my husband said he couldn't wait to return to try out some other menu items as his lunch was so good!! Please try this restaurant if you haven't already - and don't let the whole "vegtarian" thing keep you away - this restaurant is proof that eating cleaner and healthier can still be DELICIOUS! Thanks, Green - we'll see you really soon! :)

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff
Tommybr
Tommybr

Loved it

4 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2011

Was there last week (Jan 12). Loved the dinner and cupcakes, went back Thursday before heading out of town and had lunch. What great meals. If you're in San Antonio, be sure to check this place out. Am looking forward to going back and trying some other things.

Pros: Great food, great service
veganANDhubby
veganANDhubby

Saved by Green!

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2011

After four days vacationing on the Riverwalk hubby and I took a cab to Green so I could eat SOMETHING other than fruit and french fries. Chris, who co-owns Green with his brother (I think) treated us as if we were celebrities. He talked a bit about Green's philosophies, one of which is to veganize traditional Texas cuisine, and brought us a sample of a BBQ sandwich which was out of this world. I ordered the Po Boy and wished I could have brought a dozen home to Denver. Hubby got the mushroom stroganof and swore it was the best meal he'd had in months (guess he forgot all the ones I cooked at home!). We each had a cupcake and later that night shared an additional one Chris had given us. Great food and great experience. Well worth the crazy cabbies we had - if you're vacationing downtown going to Green is a must-do!

Eat More Kale
Eat More Kale

Want to move in and have all my meals there!

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2010

12/19: Third visit: Ate 3 dinners here and ordered enough for the next day's lunch each time. This doesn't include the whole pizza they made for me and froze so I could bring it back home to New Jersey. Met some folks in New Jersey who had been here, too: They ate dinner here one night last year and it was so good, they returned the next day for both breakfast AND lunch. 3 meals in 18 hours says it all: GREAT!

OMG!! Can't tell you how great Green is. It starts with the AMAZING collard, kale, veggie, herb, fig tree garden that greets you out front. Then, the folks there are really nice, polite, helpful, engaging, and welcoming. The food is varied, super fresh, and delicious. Prices are great. I can't tell you what our favorites are because we loved everything. Top of the favorites list is their kale salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, Texas BBQ, green salad dressing (think it's cilantro), cupcakes and chocolate cookie, quinoa tabouli, various teas, pinto beans, collards, portobello steak, coconut cilantro rice, and burgers. I won't mention the PIZZA because I'm a considerate person. Trust me, you don't want to try it. You know why? Because you won't be able to stop yourself from eating the entire thing. Do you think I want the guilt of ruining your diet on my head? No way. In case you wonder, here's how I discovered the fatal problem with it: My business partner and I had eaten a big, full meal there late in the afternoon with appetizers, main course, dessert and coffee. Then, we found out that we had just lucked into their Monday night pizza that was about to kick off at 5 pm. I couldn't resist just a "little taste" of one. Of course, I'd take the rest with me. So....almost 1/2 a pizza later, we waddled out of there. I ate another slice before bed and packed the rest in my suitcase to bring back with me to New Jersey the next day. Do you think that once I arrived home, I got right back on my super healthy regimen by eating oatmeal or brown rice for breakfast? Well, the answer's an unequivocal, "NO!" I ate more pizza! Now I'm trying to figure out a way to afford overnight shipments to arrive by 10:00 am so I never have to live without it or all the other items I'd have them ship along with the pizza!! BTW: I got wam, sausage, broccoli, mushrooms, and vegan cheese on it. You can't go wrong. But don't blame me when you hit the scale.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 24, 2010
Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 24, 20

Pros: taste, variety, staff
Cons: have to travel to TX, Not in NJ, FedEx too expensive for weekly shipments
queenofdiamonds87
queenofdiamonds87

Always more than satisfied

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2010

I have been to Green about four times and I've tried 3 different dishes and loved it every single time! Since I started living a holistic lifestyle, Green has definitely helped me keep up with my diet while learning new mixtures of food that are great for my body! I am a lifer for Green Cuisine now!

Pros: Great taste, healthy choices, delicious desserts
Cons: Closed Saturdays, only one location
d0nk3yd00d
d0nk3yd00d

Redefining Earth Friendly Food

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2010

Being a San Antonio resident, I realized that there wouldn't be too many options if I was going to try to rid myself of animal products in my food. Most dining here is tex-mex, burger joints, taco places and fast food none of which offer vegan options that are free of animal products.

I had been vegan in my own kitchen for three months until I realized that there was even a vegetarian restaurant here that was friendly to so many other "non-mainstream" lifestyles (like kosher diets, vegetarian/vegan eating). A friend of mine (my first vegan friend actually)told me about GREEN and he took me to the restaurant almost immediately. I was suddenly taken back into a world where I had options, where I didn't have to worry about flesh or fats from animals in the kitchen that may find their way onto my plate.

I had options! I tried some of their suggested plates for newbies to the restaurant, and I picked a burger with "cashew cheese" on it. A lot of the ingredients in the menu I had heard of or read about on the internet, but to see them on A menu was so new to me, it was refreshing to find out that I would be able to try these new foods and methods of cooking without having to prepare them all myself in my own kitchen. Most importantly, I felt like I had a 100 percent SAFE outing in San Antonio.

I would like to tell you what you should get if you are a vegan, but so much of the food is delicious, and so much of it can be made vegan for you. Even though it's vegetarian--they have gotten much better throughout my few months of going there with making dishes vegan. Green does NOT skimp out on cheese substitutes, for example, they use Daiya cheese, which is a great way for vegetarians to see that the options are out there for other things other than "REAL" cheese. It's also delicious on their Enchiladas (I would strongly recommend their Italian Enchiladas).

As I became a regular I got to know the friendly staff and have chatted with the owners on just about every trip. They try out new things as lunch specials, and they DO listen to your feedback. With pizza nights on Monday's, all vegan desserts, there's always a nice treat to make you return.

Green is a tiny glimpse of a possible future. Vegetarian and vegan food is flavorful, and this is a great starting point if you're an avid meat eater. Try some wheat meats, try some of the Buffalo Tofu or Steak Fingers.

Living without animal flesh is a truth whose time has finally come. Green can help you realize that.

Pros: Amazing Staff, Very Vegan-Friendly, Always Changing
Cons: Not entirely Vegan :p, One Location in San Antonio :(
Amanda Pea
Amanda Pea

Real food found in San Antonio!!!

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2010

While visiting family in San Antonio, I was prepared to live off of Amy's canned soup for a week. My sisters took me to all thier favortie food spots to which I sat and waiting with an empty plate or a terrible excuse for something veggie. Thankfully, I found out SA actual had a vegan/veggie restaurant. GREEN!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Green was so good I felt like I was home in San Francisco! The fried mushrooms were perfectly seasoned and surprising lite. The sauces were a perfect match. The stir fry is top notch and the vegan grilled cheese with collard greens on the side was the best thing I've eaten in months. Don't miss out on the desserts!

The service was amazing and the owner even gave the kids vegan cookies and shared yummy recipes with us. Everyone (even meat eaters/kids) will love this restaurant. Thank you Green for giving me someplace to eat in Texas!

Pros: The best food in Texas! , Beautiful gardens , Desserts
Cons: Far from home...
drdiquila
drdiquila

Even my dad likes the veggie burger here

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2010

When my husband and I visited my family in San Antonio, they humored us vegetarians by going to Green with us. Every single one of them loved the meal they ordered. My steak-loving dad raved about the veggie burger, my equally meat-loving brother-in-law praised the nut loaf. Sweet potato gnocci were a hit amongst 2 other relatives. It's not that the meat substitutes are at all like meat in texture or flavor, it's just that they're *good*. Everything is fresh and flavorful. My family continues to go there on their own, and it's the first place we want to go when we eat out in SA.

Pros: great food, great service, vegan options
stress2k
stress2k

awesone food

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2010

our first visit in san antonio texas, really don't know what to expect. as soon as we walked into Green, we were greeted by the owner. he even let us sampled their yummy BBQ sloppy joe with home-made bread. this is the one and only vegi place in san antonio! Great vegan selections and reasonably priced food....friendly and helpful staff. bio-compostable take-out containers...all vegan dessert menu!! closed saturdays. I'm from the Bay area where many herbivores reside...Green really made a very good impression on me and my partner.

Tia Marge
Tia Marge

What a surprise!

4 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2010

While visiting San Antonio ( from Austin ) we were so excited to see a vegetarian option not far from where we were staying ( on the river walk ). We were impressed with the knowledgable server and thrilled with the varity of foods offered on the menu. One of the friendly owners ( Mike or Chris) came out and spoke with us and gave us a history of the restaurant. Food was great, the "BBQ Beef" and the "Meatloaf" brought back fond memories of comfort food. THe pecan hummus is incredible! Place is very laid back, no need to dress up. Location is iffy, would not feel comfortable walking back to the hotel at night alone. If you are looking for a great vegetarian reataurant and find yourself in San Antonio this is the place to go! Marge

Pros: exhellent food, good value , friendly staff
Anna_B
Anna_B

Green's is worth the drive

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2010

I have lived in Austin for over 2 years now and am always thankful for the number of vegan options I have when eating out. This appreciation is ncreased as I moved to Austin from a moderately sized city in SC where veg, much less, vegan options were limited...All that said, I still long for a place like Green Vegetarian Cuisine in Austin. Yes. There are plenty of vegan options in Austin, but vegan and COMFORTING, I have yet to find. Green's is friendly, delicious, and the ultimate comfort food. It's the kinda food I would expect from my Southern grandma if she went vegan, e.g. One of my absolute favorites! Though it's definitely worth the drive, my only complaint about Green's is that it's not in Austin:)

Pros: Comfort food, Yummy, Friendly
Cons: Not in Austin
Kay Smith
Kay Smith

The Best Vegetarian Restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2010

The people of San Antonio are so lucky! No vegetarian restaurant is as good as this one. I live in Dallas but when I visit my daughter in San Antonio we eat there every day. We could eat there twice a day. It has a large variety of the best vegetarian cuisine, a wonderful atmosphere,friendly staff, a great value. From the very simple, for example a vegetable plate appetizer with pecan hummus to eggplant parmigiana all great food, impossible to find anywhere else. Kale is one of the healthiest foods you can eat, however it has a strong, bitter taste. The way this restaurant prepares it is so delicious! I could not believe it. There is such a variety and uniqueness. It is a wonderful feeling as a vegetarian to look at the extensive menu and be able to order anything. My husband is not a vegetarian, but he loves it and wants to eat there every time we visit. If we lived in San Antonio, we would eat here every day.

coreTHEwanderer
coreTHEwanderer

Best buffalo tofu in Texas

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2010

Probably the only buffalo tofu in Texas, Staff is incredible ,friendly and prompt. They truly live up to there name " green" When i was they they accidentally made to many salads , so they treated me with it rather than tossing it. There coffee isn't the greatest, but they have smoothies so next time ill get one of those .

Pros: buffalo tofu, lots of vegan, great staff
Cons: think they need a better coffee machine
vanillabee
vanillabee

SA's only all veg is great!

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2010

I live very close to this place now and I'm glad! They have a great breakfast and lots of interpretations of comfort foods as well as a great selection of healthier items. Definitely recommend trying some of the local favorites in their vegetarian form like the enchiladas, chili, menudo (on Sundays), and chalupas! Also great to chill and enjoy some iced tea and wifi in the area if you need to do some downtown mapping or plan a day in the city ;)

Pros: vegan desserts, good portions, healthy and comfort food choices
Cons: some dishes too salty, service sometimes lacking, but friendly
Roxanne S
Roxanne S

Amazing Lunch!

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2010

I had lunch at Green Vegetarian and the food, service and menu were amazing. First, they have a beautiful garden at the restaurant. Their vegetables are fresh! I had a Kalalu soup and the raw nori rolls. The portion on the rolls was a meal itself. I also had a cookies and cream cupcake for dessert. It was perfectly moist! The restaurant is vegetarian and they have plenty of vegan options and can customize items with cheese to use Daiya instead.

Pros: Great selection of vegan options, Eco-Friendly with in house garden, Great food
veganlesley
veganlesley

Awesome!

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

I was just in San Antonio from California for a conference this past weekend. After eating at too many Mexican places on the River Walk, I found through a search this gem of a restaurant. I grabbed 3 of my carnivorous friends and took a cheap cab to this hidden veg*n restaurant. None of my friends had ever eaten food like this before and I think that this experience has opened the door for them, thanks of course to the awesome menu at Green Vegetarian Cuisine. The menu is full of a nice even mix of healthy and fried foods. From the buffalo wings to eggplant parm to enchiladas, the food was amazing. The service was kick-ass and the restaurant was oozing with charm. They grow a lot of their own food, compost and recycle everything, including rain water to irrigate their garden.
The food was so delicious that we grabbed another cab the next day to eat lunch there again before heading out of town.
I urge anyone visiting San Antonio to make their way over to this restaurant where both veg*ns and meat-eaters will find plenty to smile about!

See you hopefully in 2 years Green Veg!
Thanks for being there!

green
green

Green

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2010

Green is le best vegetarian restaurante I have been to. I have been there so much that they started sending me discount coupons. I highly recommend this place.

picturechris
picturechris

Best find ever, worth the trip

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

I recently stumbled across Green, in San Antonio, TX. I was visiting with friends from Austin. I just want to say that I was blown away the first time. The food is so amazing, and the service is so wonderful. I've taken several trips back to San Antonio and made sure to stop into Green. My last trip there was just to eat at Green. I wish we had a place like this in Austin. It is my all time favorite place to eat. It's worth the trip.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Service, Awesome desserts
dwanger
dwanger

My favorite in continental US

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2010

I love this restaurant. I only get there 1 time a year on business and everything is always delicious. My meat eating husband also likes it, which is rare. I really like the Reuben sandwich as deli sandwiches are one thing I miss.

Pros: friendly staff, good food
DreadVeg
DreadVeg

I feel like family every time!

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2010

I love green! Every time I go the food is always so so good. I usually go with friends or sometimes with family everyone loves it (and I'm the only vegetarian)! The people there always make me feel like Ive known them for years, I love how welcome I feel. Don't get me started on dessert!! Just about every time I go I have a cupcake & Ive never had the same flavor twice. I didn't know what to expect the first time with them being all vegan. With the first bite all worries went away lol Im actually ordering two cakes for my birthday from Green (strawberry limade yum!) The point is, good people and great food.

Pros: Everything
Cons: Not close enough to my house
tanyaviola
tanyaviola

Excellent food

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

My husband and I stopped in here after researching online where to eat in San Antonio. We were only in the area for the afternoon, so we ate here for lunch.

The food was excellent! And there were plenty of vegan options, for me. I had the zucchini enchiladas which were absolutely amazing. I chose the mashed potatoes and side of collard greens, both were very good. My husband got the vegan Carne Guisada which he loved. It was a bit too "meaty" for me, but still good. He got the kale salad and broccoli salad as sides. Kale was great (I think the broccoli salad maybe had mayo, so I didn't try it). And for dessert I got the Cookies N Cream cupcake. It was awesome!!

The ambience was nice too. Lots of brick and big windows. The waitstaff was very helpful and friendly. We spoke with Chris afterwards (not sure if he's the chef, or brother of the owner...??) He was very friendly and appreciative. Thank you for such a wonderful experience!!

Pros: ambience, vegan options, delicious food
aneelee
aneelee

Sundays in San Antonio

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2010

We ate here for only the second time a few days ago (pizza night by chance) and are now determined to move our family-visit days in San Antonio to Sundays so we don't miss out. Eating in San Antonio is next to impossible for veggies and this place is an absolute gem. The food is a can't-stop-eating-this good. The owner and staff were incredibly warm and welcoming and the space... we loved.

Cozy little spot that everyone in the fam loved.

We ate (can't remember exact names) broccoli stir fry plate, zucchini enchiladas, nachos and got a yummy taste of their pizza. Lemonade, salsa and all the fixings were just as on!

Pros: warm and inviting staff, quick service, food!
Cons: not in Austin
CeeDee
CeeDee

Green Vegetarian local and delicious

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2010

The Green Restaurant in San Antonio is a wonderful escape amidst a sea of cholesterol laden options in the area. Their food is delicious and they grow some of it in their restaurant garden which is beautiful. Come for the food but stay for their desserts!

The servers were wonderful and offered us samples of food when we had questions about flavor. We had a big party for a late dinner and service was great and made us feel very welcome. We would definitely all go back!

I heard they were looking into re-vamping their menu and would hope they take a little sugar and salt out of their dishes. But it was super awesome and yummy!

Pros: Great service, Wonderful desserts, Varied menu
Cons: Lots of fried food
Anna_Brannin
Anna_Brannin

Perfect

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2010

I have only eaten at Green's twice, because unfortunately it is over an hour away from me. However, both times I have visited, I have had delicious food and great service.

The first time I had the Chicken Fried Wheat Meat with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy and Sweet Potato Fries. It definitely completely fulfilled my need for the comfort food with which I grew up.

The next time I visited I was just a pleased. I had the "Neatloaf" with collard greens and mashed potatoes and gravy again. Delicious again! Like something I would have gotten at home at a Meat and 3 (google it, if you don't know what I'm referring to).

I am so glad vegan/vegetarian true comfort food exists within driving distance, especially after moving to Austin from a state where everything is fried and home cooked (South Carolina). The only two suggestions I have: make this type of food available in Austin and vegan fried okra (Southern comfort food isn't complete without it)!

Pros: AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS, FRIENDLY STAFF, JUST LIKE HOME
Cons: A little far
bohemie1
bohemie1

Great Food and service

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2010

We searched for vegetarian restaurant in San Antonio and found the Green Vegetarian Cuisine...the only one!

The food was great, I had Zuchini Enchiladas, which was very good, will try to make at home sometime.

We also had the appetizer sampler, which offerec a lot of different choices, all very good.

Topped off with their hibiscus tea and a raw cookie, everyone left satisfied and happy!!

Thanks to a great staff and owner!

Pros: excellent food, healthy choices, good variety
Cons: parking
josephdalerouse
josephdalerouse

Great Food Tonite

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2010

I had the zuchinni enchiladas, and the cici stirfry. It was delicious and didn't leave you with the "heavy" feeling. Dessert was cupcakes, (strawberry, & peanut butter) yummy! The service was excellent. David is a good waiter. Can't wait to try breakfast. We are hooked. Only the parking is limited.

IntoHealth
IntoHealth

Greens is the place in San Antonio, TX!

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2010

Green Vegetarian Cuisine rocks! Being a vegan is not always easy while traveling but a few other vegan friends at the convention I was attending told me about Green and how wonderfully delicious their food was....and how close it was to the convention center. They were right! Yesterday's meal was a taco salad and an oreo cookie cupcake. Wow, my taste buds were in heaven. It was so good I had to go back the next day. Today's meal consisted of the buffalo chicken sandwich with mashed potatoes. The gravy was excellent. The sandwich was excellent too but almost a bit too spicy for my pansy taste buds but was very, very good anyway. I would order it again for sure. One unique and delicious menu items was the pecan hummus. It had a smooth, mild, delicious flavor on top of fresh veggies. Dessert was a chocolate cupcake with strawberry frosting. These desserts are all vegan and is a must for any visitor wanting to top off an already delicious meal with something even more excellent.

Lastly, the staff was very, very friendly. I wish I found out their names but the brother of the owner went out of his way to make sure I was happy with my meal and went above and beyond the call of duty....the servers went out of their way to make sure I had everything I needed and was as I ordered. Can't wait to visit San Antonio again......leaving with pleasant memories.

Pros: great value, lots of options, friendly staff
CBT
CBT

GREENS' ROCKS!

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2010

I visited Greens last night with a party of 3 and again tonight with 6 people. Might go back tomorrow! An impressive garden right outside the front door provided a great first impression. This is a friendly place, and both nights my group was made to feel like family. It is easy to make an interesting and delicious dinner from the many side dishes, and among the many wonderful choices, I'd go back just for the broccoli salad, quinoa with fresh herbs and mashed potatoes with gravy. The African Peanut Soup and the Macrobiotic Plate were excellent. Though we were beyond full, few at the table could pass up choosing from the many dessert selections (all vegan!), and if you go, enjoy a cupcake. Chocolate with strawberry frosting was my choice - totally yummy. The whole experience at Greens was a highlight of a wonderful 4 days in San Antonio!

One more note: On our first visit, our endlessly cheerful and enthusiastic waitress Michelle spent a fair amount of time helping us to figure out how to get to the local Whole Foods, and repeating all the instructions until she was sure we understood. On our second trip, she remembered us, and asked if we were able to find it. We were, and appreciated both her assistance and her sweet concern.

If only we were going to be in town for the 5 types of pancakes at brunch on Sunday!!

Pros: Michelle the Waitress, So many vegan choices!, Smoothie Special: Only $2.99
Cons: Too far from Washington, D.C.
DS
DS

Great spot for breakfast

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2010

Kudos to this restaurant for serving breakfast during the week. Many veggie places in other cities only have breakfast/brunch on the weekends.
On Sunday, we sat down and were given complimentary vegan biscuits (yum) with little packets of Smart Balance and served some pleasant coffee with a box of soy milk. After inhaling two servings of biscuits, out came our breakfast. We ordered a few different things to see what would be to our tastes. The first item, vegan pecan pancakes, was delicious. This place makes the best vegan pancakes I have ever had, and I make some pretty mean ones myself. We also sampled a vegan carne guisada breakfast taco. This was one of the best mock meat products we've ever had as well. The third item was vegan migas. They came with some re-fried beans and red potato sticks. I found the migas to be a bit under-seasoned and they only came with two corn tortillas. We had to order two more to assemble all of the migas. (Mr. Natural in Austin makes excellent vegan migas with soyrizo; I can make some good ones too!) Nevertheless, we were satisfied with our meal and had outstanding, prompt service.
We returned the next day, happy to see the same waitress who took delight in our scarfing down of the food. We ordered coffee and OJ this time (they give you a bottle of Odwalla). There were no complimentary biscuits today. We ordered the sweet potato pancakes which were delicious. It was a regular pancake with little chunks of sweet potato here and there. It may sound strange but it was surprisingly tasty. We also ordered ham and tofu and chorizo and tofu tacos. They were out of ham so we did regular sausage. Unfortunately, they made the tacos with egg the first time around so we sent them back. When we got the tacos, there was no appreciable difference between the regular sausage and the chorizo. They have a nice salsa that goes well with the tacos.
Our second visit concluded with a to go order of four vegan cupcakes. The chocolate strawberry shortcake was outstanding - a moist chocolate cupcake topped and stuffed with real strawberries and strawberry frosting. The cookies and cream featured the same chocolate cupcake and an oreo buttercream. It was quite good, though the frosting was a touch buttery. The same could be said for the chocolate orange and the vanilla margarita.
All in all, they are an above average veggie restaurant with good service, and dishes that range from perfunctory to excellent.

Pros: pancakes, breakfast all week, vegan desserts
Cons: closed saturdays
carolann
carolann

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2010

My daughter, one-year old grandson, and I were visiting San Antonio this weekend and needed some food that didn't taste like "restaurant food". I'd found Green on the internet and it was only 1/2 mile north on Flores from our hotel on the Riverwalk so we decided to try it. Great, fresh, home-cooked meals prepared and served in a comfortable, warm, homey, friendly environment. Chris came out and visited us each time (we kept going back) and each time we went, the person serving us (they were the best, they do the cooking, too) brought us out something (free) to try in addition to what we had ordered--rosemary bread, pecan hummus,... We were always full - big servings and great value - so we had to take the vegan, yummy desserts back to the hotel. My one year old loved the food and attention he got from the restaurant as well as the health care people, rock band members, and other people eating there. Just a wonderful, relaxed meal. The garden around the restaurant is beautiful, too. What is more exquisite than an okra blossom!?!

Pros: taste , value, homey
aaimone
aaimone

The Best

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

OMG!!! This restaurant is the best ever. We went there Friday night 7/16/10 and had the most wonderful dinner. I had the neatloaf and thought I was eating real meatloaf. My wife and daughter had pasta with pesto and loved it. The kale decorations on the plate were soooo delicious. And then there was dessert. Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter icing. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven and it was all vegan. The owner came over and we talked for a long time. He was so friendly. He asked how long we would be staying in San Antonio and we said we were leaving on Sunday and he invited us to come back Sunday morning and try their sweet potato pancakes. We went and we did and they were the best. The menu has a lot of wonderful choices and it took me quite awhile to choose. The waitstaff were great also, very helpful. Next time you're in San Antonio go to Green Vegetarian. You'll love it. They even have a garden growing right out in front.

Pros: vegan, delicious, reasonably priced
Cons: I can't think of any
Garkat
Garkat

Great vegetarian comfort food

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

I had the sesame mock chicken and it was really good. The chocolate smoothies tasted a lot like the ones i've made at home with vitamix. My wife had the "mike" sandwich and loved it, even though she is not vegetarian. Also had the sweet potato fries which were also good. Our kids had toasted cheese and steak fingers which they liked. Owner came out and talked with us a bit and offered to bring out a cookie for our kids since we had to wait a little longer on the toasted cheese. The loved the cookie and my wife had a bite of it and said it was one of the best vegan cookies she has had. The owner also invited us to come back for breakfast on Sunday and gave us a $5 off coupon for the next time.
The only thing that I can say negatively about the restaurant is that it is comfort food and probably not the healthiest choices, but what the do have is really really good. Great place to take non vegetarian friends to eat.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly prompt service, Interesting atmosphere
Cons: Not the healthiest food
cindy gilbert
cindy gilbert

Green San Antonio

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2010

As a newbee to the vegetarian world, my husband and I found Green SA to be an awesome restaurant ! Never in my wildest dreams thought that I'd eat ' wheat meat ' but the buffalo sandwich is DELICIOUS ! They've got so many dishes to choose from and as we go, we try different plates. If you are new to the vegetarian world, Green San Antonio is the perfect restaurant for you -- you won't regret it ! Great atmosphere, great waitstaff, great service and great food !

Pros: FOOD, great staff, FOOD
Cons: location, location, location
comahony
comahony

One of the best ever vegan food experiences!

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2010

My husband and I had been to Green's a few years ago and hoped to come back and find it unchanged. It changed a little but for the better, if possible. The portions are large--you definitely get your money's worth. And the entrees and side dishes are exceptional! Coming from New Orleans, we love love flavorful food. We couldn't stop trying new things, like cashew cheese! And then there was the dessert (some were raw, too). We had to get a box to-go just so we could try all the vegan sweets. The service was excellent and the owner was there, with all his suggestions and excitement about the food. The atmosphere is cozy, with outside tables, too. What a perfect vegan eating afternoon!

Pros: so healthy, super friendly, large portions
Bud Coffey
Bud Coffey

Exceptional experience

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2010

Very comfortable atmosphere. Efficient and friendly service. Very reasonably priced. The NEAT LOAF had a wonderful delicate smoky taste, beautifully prepared and smothered in a delicious tomato sauce. Side of tabuoli was excellent as was the Hibiscus iced tea. I'm a 30+ year vegan from Los Angeles and will certainly return the next time I'm in San Antonio. Happy eating.

Pros: Excelent food, Good value, Friendly staff
bhenrich
bhenrich

My first review- Fave vegetarian in US

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2010

I travel full time and have used Happycow to find food for several years and have finally decided to join and contribute reviews and cash to support what I find to be the most useful site on the web.

For my first review I have to tell fellow veggie travelers about Green in San Antonio. I used to dread traveling to Texas- not a vegetarian friendly place. I found Green by accident shortly after they opened and it quickly became my favorite vegetarian restaurant. I have recommended it to dozens of vegetarian friends and every single one has raved about it. I recently took a group of carnivorous co-workers and they all moaned and groaned when I told them I was taking them to a vegetarian place and they all loved it!! Green has truly come up with a menu that will please anybody. I've had everything on the menu now and love almost everything. Portions are big, flavor is abundant. I usually eat there once or twice a day when I visit SA. I wish they were on the river walk- I really wouldn't even need a rental car in SA if it wasn't for my daily treks to Green!

Pros: Variety of dishes, Cool building, Great staff
Cons: No booze!, No parking!, Only 1 location, and it isn't convienent
munchkin613
munchkin613

Green, delicious and kosher!

4 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2010

I do not review restaurants because we rarely eat out (we are strictly kosher), however, I must write about Green Cuisine restaurant. This lovely, cozy, wonderful, friendly place takes me back to the 1960's and early 70's. These were gentler, more loving, more vegetarian times and the Green has brought all this good stuff back. We are strictly kosher and travel a great deal for business and I must shlep all our food with us, literally, around the world and remote U.S. places. Before we travel anywhere, I do extensive research on kosher food/restaurants available to fulfill our dietary standards/needs. We had a trip scheduled for Austin and San Antonio and I found a goodly kosher stocked H.E.B. Grocery Store, but no restaurant. However, in San Antonio I found THE GREEN!!!!!! Yay!! What a treasure, a gem; delicious, vegan, healthy, and KOSHER! :-D. All our requirements were fulfilled with dining at this delightful place. Staff was quite friendly & helpful and the restaurant itself is cozy, "home-y, and comfortable. The food was TERRIFIC! My husband ordered the portobello "steak" with side dishes of quinoa and broccoli salad.
YUMMY! I ordered the eggplant parmesan with pasta with a side dish of refried beans (my tex/mex homage). Now, the dish was quite good with the pasta and sauce being excellent, however, the eggplant part consisted of only 3 very, very thin slices of grilled eggplant. What was there was good, but if the dish is titled EGGPLANT parmesan and not pasta with eggplant, there should have been more eggplant (that's why I only rated 4 cows and not 5 - sorry). I will tell everyone I know about this great place. I only wish we had something like the Green in Maryland, or in any other city we visit. Keep up the good work and dellicious dishes.
We wish the owner and staff continued success, growth, and prosperity.

Pros: excellent menu, friendly staff, kosher!
Cons: skimpy eggplant parm, ran out of desserts, no bread served
1Neicie
1Neicie

Loved It!!

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2010

The people are so friendly, they let us come in even when we got there 15 min before opening. The food is so good! My son had the tofu scramble made with veggies from their own garden. They have something for everyone. The Vegan cookies are fantastic. They are located in a historical building. They have an album showing the history of the building and the previous owners.

Pros: excellent food, large portions, friendly staff
Cons: tricky to get too located down town
UzArt
UzArt

Vegetarian Cuisine Day...

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2010

We visited the Green Vegetarian Cuisine Rest...My daughter, my niece and myself.
The food was excellent, big portions, good value and most of all the waitress was superb and friendly with us.

I wish they had another Restaurant on this side of town; because me and my husband will go there constantly. Please Mike if you read this review, at least consider on having another restaurant over here. ( close to La Vernia ).

For all of us this is a new beginning since we have changed our diet or eating healthier. The restaurant itself, its very cozy and friendly...

Thanks for listening...UzArt

Pros: excellent food, cozy place, friendly staff
Cons: far away for us, Desserts for type 2 diabetes, sugar free desserts
PaigenMike
PaigenMike

Ridonculous!

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2010

In a Good way! Been a while since we've been to San Antonio (not since Nov 2006). Why? Because there weren't any vegetarian restaurants. Well apparently 2 months after our visit in 2006 Mike opened a fantastic Vegetarian Restaurant in SA.

We live in the Fort Worth area. People are always raving about how amazing the Spiral Diner is, been there once, have never wanted to return. We went to Green twice today, and can't wait for it to open on Sunday! We'll only be here this weekend, and all we can think about is going back to Green! At lunch today My husband had the Cece's Stir Fry with Coconut rice, and Broccoli salad, and I had the "Half and Half" with "Mikes sandwich", a Garden Salad and a side of Kale Salad. Did someone say "amazing coffee"? Green did! WOW! and the Tea!!!! How can these simple everyday beverages be soooo delicious. I can't say enough about the food. It was Ridonculous(in a good way) and time flys while you wait for your food as you read the table top fun facts about the restaurant and all the other things that it used to be. By the time you are done eating you feel as though you are part of the family, calling the owners by name!

The atmosphere was delightful, and the wait staff were very friendly. We went back for dinner and had Sushi Rolls, the Monster PB&J with Mashed Potatoes and Fruit salad. Yet to find a menu item that we wouldn't LOVE to eat again. We will definitely return for Breakfast on Sunday! If we haven't left for home by the time hunger strikes again, we may have lunch!

Thank you Mike for giving us a reason to visit San Antonio often!

FYI - We LOVE, LOVE food. This is the only restaurant we have ever felt obligated to review. YOU HAVE TO TRY IT! I can't imagine you having a bad experience. Everyone, even carnivores should try this place. My husband and I have not always been vegetarian and I can tell you, that you would not miss meat, eating here.

Pros: FOOD, Atmosphere, Owners
Cons: It's not in DFW, They don't deliver to DFW, I live in DFW

YUMMY!

5 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2010

Just had dinner at Green in San Antonio. It was one of the best vegan meals I have ever had. I am in town on business and plan to go back tomorrow for food to take on the flight home. The waitress was a genious. When I ordered enchiladas vegan she suggested hummus to replace the cheese. WOW! I highly suggest the pumpkin cupcake. And the owners were so nice. What a great find!

Pros: fabulous staff, lots of vegan options, eclectic bldg
  • PaigenMike PaigenMike

If this were Facebook, we would "Like" this.

autumnwynds
autumnwynds

wow. yum.

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2010

This place has amazingly good food. During our short stay in San Antonio, we went 3 times - once for lunch and twice for breakfast. I could have eaten every meal here; it was that good. Even my meat-eating husband really liked it.
For the lunch, I had the Tofu Po' Boy and Onion Rings. Oh so good. The hibiscus iced tea was yum too.
For the breakfasts I had Tofu & Chorizo Taco and Blueberry Pancakes (split with DH), and Migas and Pecan Pancakes (again split with DH). The Taco & Migas were excellent. The pancakes were huge and fantastic. I suck at making pancakes myself, and I just want to know how they made these so good. Best I've ever had.
OH! And the vegan cupcakes! OMG so good!
And on top of the awesome food, the staff is super nice and the prices are quite reasonable.
The only problem with this place is they are clear across the country from where I live. Maybe a good thing, because I would eat there ALL. THE. TIME. if I could.

Pros: amazing food - mostly vegan, super nice staff, reasonable prices
Cons: too far away
dan vegan
dan vegan

Green - excellent food, green in actions

5 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2010

Last Sunday my wife, two friends and I visited Green. My wife and I eat Vegan and our friends eat everything.

My wife and I have been to Green a number of times and have always been pleased. We came in for a Sunday brunch. The service was good, atmosphere relaxing and inviting, and the food was GREAT.

The two things that stand out to me about this visit are: Our friends, who had not eaten vegetarian before, were very happy with their meal.
I thought it would be a challenge to make the meals my wife and I ordered Vegan without losing taste (see details below). The chef was able to convert them to Vegan and they were scrumptious.

We ordered:
Classic Breakfast: 2 eggs any style, with hash browns and toast.
Avocado Eggs Benedict
Avocado Eggs Benedict made Vegan
Breakfast Sandwich - eggs, faux sausage and provolone

I was very curious how they would replace the eggs and hollandaise sauce on the Eggs Benedict and how they would replace the eggs and provolone on the Sandwich.

The Eggs Benedict wasn't missing anything - creamy, great texture.
The Breakfast Sandwich was cheesy, gooey, spiced just right.

I also want to mention that this restaurant is serious about the 'Green' in their name - they take great effort to reduce their impact on the environment.
Their electricity is generated by wind power. They 'recycled' the building they are in - it was vacant and in disrepair. The restored an old bakery with a green design. They grow a bunch of their own veggies, do composting and more.

I recommend Green Vegetarian cuisine
for the comfortable, inviting atmosphere
for the Green mindset they put into action
FOR THE FOOD!

Pros: great food, great atmosphere, green
christopher byron
christopher byron

highly recommend

5 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2010

Green is amazing. The food is delicious and the staff are very friendly. We ended up going on a saturday (when they were closed) but they let us in and eat. If you are passing through san antonio GO TO GREEN. If you live in san antonio GO TO GREEN. If you live near or around san antonio GO TO GREEN.

Pros: delicious food, friendly, great atmosphere
Aidee
Aidee

Green Rocks!!!

5 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2009

I love Green. Its my favorite restaurant in SA. The staff is super nice and the food is incredible. The menu has a great variety. I love their onion rings and their brkfast brunch. I had non vegetarian friends eating with me and they love it too. My favorite thing is constantly changing because I always find a new delicious thing. Their new smoothies are a great quick meal. The food at Green is outstanding I eat there at least 2 times at week (it's quite a drive but is worth it). LOVE IT!!!!

Pros: healty, friendly staff, excellent food
Cons: none
mikey
mikey

GREAT FOOD

5 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2009

GREEN IS A GREAT PLACE TO EAT, GREAT STAFF, AND DELICIOUSSSSSSSSSSSS FOOD. I KEEP KOSHER/MOSTLY VEGETARIAN, AND TRAVEL ALL OVER THE WORLD EATING OUT. I WOULD HAVE TO RATE GREEN AS ONE OF MY FAVORITES. TRY THIS PLACE OUT TO SEE WHAT I MEAN! THE CICI'S STIR FRY IS MY FAVORITE, AND THE MONSTER PB&J IS MY SECOND FAV ON THE MENU.

Pros: HEALTHY CHOICES, NICE STAFF, GREAT CHEF
illogical
illogical

Have had better

2 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2009

While visiting San Antonio we wanted a vegetarian meal. Being this was the only vegan/vegetarian restuarant in the area we took a bus ride out. I was somewhat diappointed with my meal. I ordered a mushroom dinner. Very salty. My friend had "chicken" and she shared hers with me. I will say though the raw pecan hummus was a big hit, but the veggies served with it was of poor quality. If I lived there I would probably not go back unless I heard there was and improvement.

Pros: cleanliness, staff, price
Cons: location, some menu items
mkzk77
mkzk77

Eh, okay

3 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

I'm a fairly new vegetarian and I thought this place was very appealing (seeing as it's San Antonio's only 100% Vegetarian restaurant). I appreciate that they use biodegradeable carryout boxes, they are energy-efficient, clean, affordable, and have vegan options on the menu. I had Cece's stirfry- eh, I've had better tofu stir fry at Thai Kitchen. They served it on a bed of brown rice, and it was a very generous portion. I was disappointed to find out that the 'veggie of the day' was pinto beans. Nothing wrong with pinto beans, but come on! We're in San Antonio. Pinto beans are everywhere. How about some variety like steamed asparugus, mashed rutabaga...idk. My omnivorous company had the portobello steak with a side of sweet potato fries. Unfortunately they were soggy. I tried the vegan chocolate cake- again, it wasn't anything spectacular. It was quite dry and the frosting was okay. I had higher expectations after visiting their website. I guess I would go back someday but I'm in no hurry. I'd rather hit up Mela Bar and Grill (Indian food) or Thai Kitchen to get some vegan-friendly yummies.

Pros: Hip Atmosphere, Earth-Friendly, 100% Vegetarian
Cons: Mediocre Food, Lacks Health Foods
ntbsam
ntbsam
  • non-vegetarian

Reminds me of another place

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2009

When I found the possiblility of eating at a kosher restaurant on my Texas vacation, I was very excited. To find the menu at this place was very gratifying. It reminded me of a veggie place I used to eat at during college. Though it was not certified kosher, the local rabbi ate there anyway because there was nothing there that wasn't kosher.
My wife and I had breakfast. She had an omelette and I had the oatmeal raisin pancakes. The pancakes were spectacular. Just enough raisins to give sweetness and the oatmeal made it light and just filling enough. I had hash browns on the side. Though I prefer the shreds, the firm chunkiness of the potatoes was very rewarding and they were not nearly the grease associated with common breakfast fare.
Though I find organic coffee more acidic, the soy milk provided balanced that nicely.
I asked for ketchup with my hash browns but was disappointed to see a Heinz bottle. Somehow, organic ketchup (though pricier) would have been socially more appropriate.
Because we ate as we concluded a visit to San Antonio, I regret not being able to stay and have dinner which would have afforded the opportunity to sample the yummy-looking onion rings on the menu, not to mention the many entrees and salads.
It is hoped the veggie, kosher, and general dining communities will support this wonderful establishment.

Pros: Food, staff, owner
RoadKali
RoadKali

Disappointed

2 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2009

My wife and I have missed vegetarian dining since our move to San Antonio. We were both excited when the Greens opened. However, after two visits, we've decided not to return. Extensive menu, but little by way of healthy, fresh, vegitarian options. Very heavy, overly spicy, and greasy food. Both times the resurant wasn't clean, and condiment containers were sticky. The staff couldn't answer our questions regarding some of the menu items (contents, preparation, etc.).Why use commercial ketchup in what is supposed to be a healty vegetarian resturant? However, the owner is very friendly, and I applaud him for opening a vegetarian option to the standard San Antonio resturant scene. But, I'd like him to concentrate on more healthy and fresh options - without the texmex overtones. We'll give it more time before we try it again.

Pros: Building, Intent, vegitarian option
Cons: Not what expected, Lack of fresh veg options, Heavy food for vegetarians
CFlatt
CFlatt

Pretty Cool

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

This is an amazing restaurant! San Antonio needed a vegetarian/vegan friendly place. Their menu is varied and everything I've had is great. This place has ambiance and the staff are friendly (at least when I have gone).

Pros: Excellent food, Varied Menu, Nice Ambiance and friendly service
Cons: Hmmm...?
Vegetariansolutions
Vegetariansolutions

Too good to go anywhere else!

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2009

I used this site to find Green Vegetarian because I was afraid, as a vegan, of being in a new place for a three-day convention and having a hard time to find vegan food. I headed straight from my hotel after check-in to have a late lunch/early dinner at Green, not expecting it to be better than the restaurants here in Atlanta. What a menu! I had trouble deciding (having only one stomach), but opted for the Buffalo Tofu fingers and Green burger. I blame my desire to take advantage of the abudant menu, their wonderful service, and the delicious food for what happened next: I returned the next day at lunch to try the Popcorn Tofu Poboy and loved it so much I ordered dinner to go (the Neatloaf, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad). I was so impressed, I left the conference during a break the next day and took a taxi BACK to the restaurant for breakfast (Tofu scramble and tofu-chorizo breakfast taco)! Then, knowing full well that Riverwalk is full of restaurants awaiting my tourist dollars, I STILL couldn't help myself--and ordered, to-go dinner for that night (Cici's stirfry) AND breakfast for my final day (tofu scrambler again--it was worth duplicating the experience)! I have travelled all over the world and LOVE trying new vegetarian restaurants (it's almost the REASON I travel, other than meeting new like-minded friends). I can honestly say that I have NEVER before eaten ALL meals for three days from the same restaurant--but who could blame me? I really enjoyed the food, stayed within my per diem budget for a LOT of heaping portions,felt "at home" with the owners (it's a family-run business and I felt so welcome!), AND loved to see the way that these people are living the dream with their environmental design/sustainable power, products, packaging/spreading vegetarianism. I couldn't help but invest (my dining dollars) to support what is the most important thing to me: "walk the talk". My ONLY complaint?...This restaurant is in Texas and I live in Georgia and they don't deliver that far!!!
I challenge anyone to top my three-day, all-meals, feeding frenzy at Green!! ;) I hope you love it as much as I did. Thanks to Edlyn and Mike--I hope we cross paths again!
Melissa Martin, Vegetarian Solutions

Pros: taste, price, variety
Cons: not in GA
Neka
Neka

Green Restaurant in San Antonio

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2009

Vegans, Vegetarians and carnivores alike will experience an eyes-rolling-back-in-the-head sumptuous meal at Green Restaurant in San Antonio. I DARE you to make the drive downtown to dine and meet Mike Beherns, owner and chef, and the friendly staff at Green. You folks in Austin who think you have the market on Vegan Cuisine, it is worth the drive to San Antonio to savor Mike's delicious wares- raw foodists, too.
Neka in San Antonio

Pros: Delicious and fun, Funky, artsy atmosphere, Only Kosher restaurant in town
khutch
khutch

Slightly addicted...

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2009

I love Green with all my heart! I'm a vegan in San Antonio which is just a sticky situation, however Green really saves me. I go there almost everyday and get the deeeeeeeeelicious "green burger" or the rice bowl, they both just blow my mind every time. The staff is all really nice and I have a great time whenever I go in. Also for breakfast I really like the sweet potato pancakes, and the breakfast tacos with vegan chorizo and tofu..mmm....

Pros: Delicious food!, Big portions
MichelleD
MichelleD

Wonderful Resturant

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2009

How great to find a veg restaurant in Texas! I went to this restaurant for breakfast and had the tofu scramble with hash browns. It was excellent and the staff was friendly. It was my first time hearing country music at a veg restaurant. As a Tennessean I was delighted!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great Food, Nice Atmosphere
Cons: None!
Michael Sohocki
Michael Sohocki

Brave Little Restaurant

4 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2008

It takes guts to open a strictly vegetarian place in a town like San Antonio.

I'f you've been to a typical American-style family restaurant or diner, basically, this is the vegetarian version. The food is simple and straightforward--good mashed potatoes, nice soups and chilis. They've even got a good Reuben, but vegetarian.

I think it'd be a good place to take a family, especially for breakfast--when they serve as serious a pancakes-and-eggs type menu as you could ask for.

AliVegan
AliVegan

Good but not as vegan-friendly as it could be

3 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2008

Green has a great menu, large reasonably-priced servings, and good food. The times I have been, however, they were often out of vegan options of the day. Their selection is not as vegan as it very easily could be. So.. great for vegetarians, decent for vegans. My experience (and what I've heard from others) is that it's pretty hit and miss for vegans.

Pros: good food
Cons: not as vegan as it could be
Aspen
Aspen

One of a kind vegetarian restaurant!

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

This is my favorite place to indulge as a vegetarian! Because the chef at Green is an adult convert to vegetarianism and he started his career as a cook in a traditional southern dinner, the food at Green is not like any other vegetarian restaurant you'll ever eat at. Although many of the best menu items are full of calories, they are well worth the splurge. The popcorn tofu sandwich is incredible, even for my meat-eating friends that try Green. The buffalo tofu fingers are a favorite of mine - the well-known flavor to vegetarians of tofu makes the tofu fingers feel like comfort food but the crispy fried breading and the hot wing sauce make them an incredible treat.

The thanksgiving dinner this year was fantastic. It was a pre-set menu and everything worked! The fresh orange/cranberry/apple relish paired well with the cornmeal stuffing. The mashed potatoes were delicious with the vegetarian turkey and gravy. The string beans were perfectly tender but still snappy and fresh tasting. The golden brown home-style southern biscuit was the perfect "dinner roll" for this meal. Lastly the desert was brilliant, a ginger cookie baked with a ginger pumpkin filling and topped with a cream brulee style caramelized sugar.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Unique food
Cons: Mostly vegan desserts
pokemaniac386
pokemaniac386

Great and moving up!

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2008

I've been visiting the restaurant a lot lately and have had almost every vegan thing on the menu. I've really enjoyed my meals. They are flavorful and quite creative. Thus far, my favorite is the Popcorn Tofu Po' Boy. The sauce used is great and works perfectly with everything in it. Every sauce they've used that I've tasted is great. The deserts are always good. I had the chocolate chip cookie on my last visit and it was wonderful. Now I can ethically tell somebody, "You done good, have a cookie." lol I keep forgetting to buy a Green button. I suggest they try to promote it a little more because that's good free advertisement:P I love their tofu buffalo wings, but I would like to see an ultra-spicy version. I have not had breakfast there just yet, but I intend to try it possibly tomorrow - yes, I go every Sunday now:D There was one thing I didn't care for though. The menudo was omg salty (I don't use salt in my food, very little when I do). Salt=eww Price represents what it is, the portion, and the forces of the market = good It's a very nice laid-back atmosphere which is really cool. The staff is really friendly too, which is always good. One more problem, the appetizers tend to come out along with the food instead of what I think is the traditional 5 minutes before, but when I go it's usually during peak business hours. Overall, I say, pretty freakin' awesome. I recommend it for you, for your family and friends, your neighbor, your arch enemy, and don't forget to bring some home for Fido and/or Fifi (not necessarily recommended; I'm not a veterinarian and don't know what adverse effects there may be - so don't bring some home for Fido or Fifi unless you know it's okay). With that I say, shebang and bon apetit. Peace y'all.

Pros: Filling, Chillax, Tasty
Cons: Little parking, Sometimes crowded, Can't think of a third
West
West

Favorite restaurant

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2008

The daily specials, soups and veggie of the day are particularly outstanding, some rival gourmet cuisine. My personal all-time favs at Green are the Buffalo wings, breakfast tacos, popcorn tofu po boy, onion rings, mushrooms, sweet potato fries, rolls and tofu breakfast tacos. Miss items no longer on the menu such as the Green nachos, Philly cheese steak, spring rolls and fajitas. Please bring back! Only other complaint is that some items taste blander than when the restaurant first opened such as King Ranch tofu and carne guisada. The cream gravy and chicken fried wheat meat could definitly use more flavor too. I still ocassionally order all of those but take home to add cumin and chili powder to the Mexican food items, black pepper, season salt and onion powder to the others. Whatever spices were used on their carnivore counterparts at the Jail House Cafe would be definitely welcome on the vegetarian versions.

Otherwise the food is tasy enough to please even meat-eaters.

Pros: friendly staff, food always taste fresh, convenient to downtown location
Cons: Items no longer on menu, some items need flavor enhancements, missing items in to go orders
Eve
Eve

Fan-bloody-tastic!

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2008

It's so overdue to have this kind of restaurant here. We veggies need a place that has an extensive menu like this. Everything I've tried is great. I'm looking forward to the North Side location. My only complaint is I miss the cheese "steak" sandwich. Otherwise, all is well. Beautiful setting & Mike is always very friendly.

Pros: Patio & Interior
  • aldakemina aldakemina

Is there really going to be a north side location?! When?? and Where?

jns2008
jns2008

Best Veg Restaurant ever

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2008

Everything that I've tried on the menu has been delicious! And the specials are out of this world! I try and go at least once a week, but it gets expensive! :D Can't get away from the vegan goodness!!! YOU NEED TO GO HERE OR YOUR MISSING OUT BIG TIME!

Pros: food, friendly staff, big portions
Cons: pricey
Scott Martin
Scott Martin

Hugely beneficial to San Antonio

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2008

Green has become a huge asset to vegetarians and non-vegetarian foodies alike in this town. Not only are they producing delicious and healthy food but the daily specials and constantly evolving menu make it possible to frequent Green several times a week and never get tired of the same old options. Mike and LuLu are obviously passionate about what they are doing and we all benefit from that.

Pros: excellent vege food, variety, dog friendly
danemiller
danemiller

Great Food

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2008

Wow, where to begin. The combination of Mike and Lu is what makes the restaurant tick. Great ideas and combinations of mixing Lulu's old classic recipes from the past with a new vegan twist.

Pros: Breakfast is great, Love Opera Night, Family Atmosphere
Cons: Need 2nd location, Need 3rd location, Need 4th location
StephanieR
StephanieR

Vegetarian Cuisine at its BEST!

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2008

Green Vegetarian Restaurant has become my new absolute favorite restaurant! After living in San Antonio for years now it has been torture not having a vegetarian restaurant like Green around all this time.

On my weekly run to the cozy artsy restaurant I ordered one of my favorites: a traditional southern tasting vege homemade meatloaf called "neatloaf" seasoned to perfection, with a fresh fruit salad, and mouth watering sweet potato fries. Even after cleaning my plate off, I couldn't resist and ordered the to-die-for vegan rich chocolate cake(which is made out of tofu!). I left completely full and completely content!

(In response to a message below concerning a lack of "healthy options" at Green, I wanted to disagree and point out that there were a plethora of items on the menu including the hummus appetizer, spring rolls, raw deal wrap, apple/pecan salad, portabella steak, stir fry, fruit and vege salads, etc. Green doesn't advertise itself as a "health" restaurant so to accuse it of not being so is rather unfair. It states simply that it is a vegetarian restaurant, and a fantastic one at that!)

Pros: Variety, Creativity, Generous Portions
Cons: Single Location
fuzzy
fuzzy

Great if you like fake meat

2 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2008

Not only am I vegetarian but I also, like I assume most veg*ns do, like to eat healthily. While I am happy that San Antonio does offer one vegetarian restaurant, I am disappointed that Green offers very little in the way of healthy food choices. Most of their menu consists of fried foods, fake meat substitutes, and loads of grease. It is as if they are attempting to be a greasy spoon diner, while being vegetarian at the same time. You can't have it both ways! I would prefer to see more in the way of light and healthy, whole foods vegetarian meals rather than fake stuff masquerading as omnivore meals.
Also their service was non-existent. Green was a disappointment - definitely not worth the drive across town. I don't plan to go back unless they change their menu.

Pros: only vegetarian restaurant in town
Cons: unhealthy
JenD
JenD
  • raw

Wonderful Comfort Food!

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2008

Casual, quirky atmosphere, (perfect for San Antonio) friendly staff, and terrific food! In Texas you're lucky if you can find a place with a lowly veggie burger on the menu, so imagine how thrilled we were when Green opened!

We started with the buffalo tofu fingers, which were perfectly spiced, and the accompanying miso sauce was a pleasant surprise.

The chicken fried wheat meat was so good I felt guilty for eating it, and I think I could consume a vat of the herbed mashed potatoes. Add sweet potato fries to the meal, and I was lucky to be able to exit under my own power.

My husband had a grilled ham and cheese sandwich (that he inhaled) and he said it was wonderful.

My one regret is that I was physically incapable of trying any of the desserts. Ah well... next time!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly Staff
sujo
sujo

Disappointing

2 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2008

Review: I was glad to find this restaurant, since veg places are hard to come by in San Antonio. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectations. The menu had many selections on it, including breakfast items. I had "The Mike Sandwich" with sweet potato fries. This cost about $8 and didn't even fill me up. It tasted good, especially the sweet potato fries, but just wasn't worth the cost. The drink station was dirty, and I saw a huge dead roach under a booth. The employees weren't very friendly, especially the busser. This restaurant wasn't worth the drive across town.

Pros: Menu
Cons: Roach, Cost
twentytwo
twentytwo

Praise God for Green!

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2008

I am so extremely grateful that San Antonio has a fully vegetarian restaurant! I am a vegan, and the vegan options here are plentiful. I believe I've visited six times now, and my favorite menu items include the Sesame Chik'n, sweet potato fries, fresh kale salad, and I also enjoyed the Raw Deal Wrap, which is made with a raw hummus consisting of cashews and brazil nuts. Green also has vegan soft-serve ice cream, and when I visited last week they had an absolutely delicious cinnamon soft-serve! There's also a Reuben sandwich on the menu with vegan corned beef, which comes with cheese. They "veganized" it for me by simply removing the cheese, and while I enjoyed it, I felt that it was a little lacking this way. Nonetheless, I highly recommend visiting in this place if you're in the area -- San Antonio doesn't have too many vegan options!

Pros: Raw entree and appetizer, Cinnamon soft-serve, You choose your sides!
Cons: Most entrees are $8 before tax, Closed on Saturdays
FrogSF
FrogSF

Really great to see vegan food in Texas

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2008

I live in San Francisco so my vegan options are pretty amazing. I ate at Green with my mom when I was visiting family and was hoping it wouldn't be just another bland veggie place where I could only get two items. To my surprise the cookies and cakes are all vegan (and tasty!) and they have a pretty good soft serve vegan ice cream (hard to come by in restaurants anywhere). I had the fake chicken fried steak salad and it was awesome. I eat a lot of fresh veggies at home so when I go out I like to have things like fried stuff and fake meat options. Being vegan doesn't necessarily mean you have to eat super healthy 100% of the time. The staff were super nice to me. It always makes me happy to see people allowed to look the way they want to at work. I've read some "they were rude" reviews, but it's easy to misunderstand young people who are shy and look different and think they are rude. I was one of those young people so I know how it is. Please be nice to service industry people, they do have a hard job!

My mom's husband ate their a month or so later and had the reuben and loved it. He's a staunch meat-atarian so I was pleased to hear he liked the food.

Thanks for bringing fun vegan food to San Antonio!

Pros: good food and desserts, cool interior design, alterna kids staff
Cons: I live too far away
sleepy
sleepy

Yummy

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

I had the breakfast migas prepared vegan with a side of avocado. Big plate of food for not too much money. Good vegan carrot cake too. Very satisfied.

veggiebird
veggiebird

tasty

3 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2008

We were so happy to find a vegetarian restaurant on our travels through Texas and we were not disappointed. I had the sweet potato gnocchi and loved it. The staff was lovely and even gave us directions to the nearest health food store. Green isn't in the most scenic part of san antonio but we found it easily from our hotel near the riverwalk and it was worth the trip.

Pros: good food, friendly staff

This place is heaven

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2007

I've found the vegan options plentiful and quite tasty. The chipotle dressing rocks. The portabella sandwich w/ sweet potato fries are my favs, followed w/ the most amazing chocolate cake. The front room is cooler than the backroom--so head to the back if you don't like a/c. Staff has been quite friendly. When ordering out, make sure everything is in bag. Check your credit card bill too to ensure you weren't billed twice. They had a few kinks around opening, but they've seemed to have worked all that out. OH, and they'll make vegan birthday cakes--just give them a ring.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Fresh produce, Friendly staff
Cons: No alcohol, Not open Saturdays, Limited parking
mixmaster_mo
mixmaster_mo

Green is GREAT

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2007

My favorite thing to get there is the fried seitan sandwich and sweet potato fries. All the portions are large. Breakfast is great too. It's pretty much typical diner and Tex/Mex. I love their vegan menudo. Overall, super tasty.

Pros: free wi-fi, fast service, large portions
Cons: needs more parking, no vegan cheese, closed Saturdays
plazamj
plazamj

Green San Antonio

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2007

I am new to vegetarian/vegan food and found Green San Antonio's food very good. Everything from the soups to the desserts was excellent. There was a variety of food on the breakfast and dinner menu that would appease to anyone's liking, vegan or not.

Pros: Friendly staff, Clean Environment, Outside patio
Cons: Busy, Needs more parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Vegetarian Cuisine - Downtown: