Green Vegetarian Cuisine at...

Second location of this vegetarian and kosher restaurant. Features southern and American comfort foods with daily specials plus desserts, fresh fruit smoothies, organic coffee and teas. Family owned and operated. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, International, Kosher, Fast food, Take-out
10003 NW Military Ste 2115

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by hungryherbivore
saga10
saga10

Good place to eat for vegans

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2014

This place is close to our home. We like its menu, and even more that there are several options for vegans. The cupcakes are delicious, vegan, and with some gluten free options. I only wish they offer a larger variety of vegan and gluten free cupcakes, but we really like this place and we do recommend it.Enjoy!

Pros: Vegan options, Gluten free options, Delicious menu AND cupcakes
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Awesome food, so many options!

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

All vegetarian place with lots of vegan options. The menu has a ton of variety and they have something for every mood--including lots of desserts. Brought my non-veg family here and they all loved it. The food was fantastic, the location is cute, and the service was great.

Pros: Lots of variety, Lots of vegan options, DESSERT
Chantyaguirre
Chantyaguirre

love it!

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

Awesome place, great friendly people, awesome food and OMG VEGAN CUPCAKES!!! Definitely recommend!

mikejika
mikejika

Great place for Casual dinning

Posted on 03 / 09 / 2014

I have actually eaten at both of the Green locations in San Antonio and they both serve excellent food. The atmosphere is casual. The staff is very helpful and freindly. The Green is my go to place when my family and I want to head out and have a worry free meal. I have tried over half of the items on the menu and honestly have not had a dish that I did not completely enjoy. I always look for cleanliness when I am at a restaurant and these two location are always very clean. I have taken my meat eating coworkers and they always find something on the menu that they enjoy too. If you haven’t tried it, please do. You will like it.

Pros: Enjoy the food every time, Freindly Staff, Serving Size
Cons: I wish there were more Green's
askkaren
askkaren

Beautiful AND delicious!

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

I love both locations, however this one is where I bring my not-yet-vegetarian friends because it is elegant and feels like a higher end restaurant with a very reasonable price, with AWESOME food!

tarresnom1
tarresnom1

Great food/service for my family & friends

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

We showed up right at 7pm Friday night & our party of 8 was seated quickly. So many yummy sounding choices so it took us awhile to order but our waiter (Joshua) was great. For appetizers we got the deluxe nachos with vegan cheese and fried pickles. Plenty of food for all 8 of us. The pickles they use are so crisp, light breading fried perfectly. I skipped the mayo dressing, didn't know if it was vegan & should have asked but honestly didn't miss it since they were so good. Others at table loved it, though. The nachos with the vegan cheese...YUM! This is vegan cheese? Thank you! Chips seem to be made in house (taste just like how this Mexican makes at home). If they buy them, they fooled me. Props to their supplier. ;-P So while the apps sound heavy, they were light & a nice starter.

I'll spare you what everyone ordered (everyone loved their food & I'll stick to my order & a couple others). I ordered the Protein salad. I was worried that it wouldn't fill me up but was prepared to order a side if need be later. Not a problem at all. Generous portions given throughout our orders and I didn't even finish it. I packed it up & brought it home. Delicious. I'm a sucker for fried tofu, chickpeas and hummus. Great mix of greens & veggies, etc made for a very filling salad. Yep, I said it...the salad was filling.

My daughter ordered the Kids' Grilled Cheese and she said it was the best she ever had. Which kind of made me sad because hey...I'm a good cook. But she loved it and I was very happy about that. My other children didn't dig the mashed potatoes brought as their sides but that's really just them not liking gravy. So if you don't like gravy on potatoes ask for your mashed without. I tried them and loved them.

Dessert, we decided to try some cupcakes because why not. Vanilla cupcake with key lime frosting, their "hostess" cupcake and a mexican chocolate cookie with a nice spice kick was shared. Moist, not too sweet and way delicious...the cupcakes were a hit. Their desserts are vegan and I promise you they are delicious cupcakes period, not just for being vegan. I enjoyed the cookie but if you don't like heat (spicy food) skip it. While it's very mild in my opinion, I know some people are very sensitive to it. My daughter didn't care for it.

We stayed past closing (thought they closed @ 9, nope 8) but Joshua was great, friendly and very helpful throughout the night. Great waiter. Food was delicious & we'll be back.

Pros: Great location, Delicious food, Accommodating to a larger group
Cons: Gravy on potatoes (if you don't like it)
  • Green Thumb Green Thumb

As a fellow vegan, I wanted to inform you that Green does not use Vegan friendly sugar in any of their desserts or menu items. A server informed me on my last visit that they use Imperial Sugar in all their Desserts. As you may know, Imperial Sugar is refined with bone-char filters (filters made of bones of slaughtered cattle) and that is not vegan.

Cbellamy
Cbellamy

Great place!

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

My wife and I first went here on a "why not" thought when we weren't vegans. Now as vegans we love it even more. I'm huge fan of their Sunday brunch. I especially dig the vegan migas.

The vegan soft serve is a winner and so are most of Cece's cupcakes.

Pros: Variety, Flavor, Friendly Staff
ChibiArtist
ChibiArtist

In love with this place!

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2012

I currently live in LA but I'm originally from SA, so while visiting family for the holidays I ate at this restaurant. Within one week of being in SA I've been here twice. Love it! The atmosphere is really nice. The staff are great and friendly. The food is amazing. I had the roasted veggies bowl, sweet potato fries, sweet raspberry tea, and avocado eggs Benedict (made vegan). Everything was amazing, something I could of found in LA. I wanted to get a shirt but they didn't have smalls but the shirts are adorable. Some say "vegetarians are better lovers", "fake meat saves lives", "give peas a chance", etc. they also have cupcakes which are displayed in a glass case in the front of the store before even entering I had already decided I had to have one. They didn't disappoint. I had a chocolate cinnamon cupcake and it was excellent. Everything on they're menu can be made vegan but what I like the most is that all the desserts, breads, dressings, and sauces are vegan. No need to worry if there's milk or eggs. I will definitely come here every time I'm in town more than once lol.

Pros: Great atmosphere , Amazing food, Great staff
Cons: None!
VSTG2012
VSTG2012
  • non-vegetarian

Yummy Delish!!!

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

I had dinner at the Alon location this week and the food was AMAZING. Everything was well seasoned. I really loved the fact that my drink was served to me unsweetened with a spoon so that way I could choose whether or not to sweeten it and with what (I didn't and it was so refreshing). I had the portabella mushroom steak with mashed potatoes and the pecan hummus appetizer. I left feeling satisfied and not bloated. Not sure if I will be back in San Antonio again but I am happy that this little gem exists there. BTW there are 2 locations and the phone number to the Alon one is 210-233-1249.

Pros: Great food, Well seasoned, Beverage served unsweetened/your choice
ztark
ztark

Best Vegan Food in San Antonio

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

San Antonio is not a particularly veg friendly town; however, Green Vegetarian Cuisine is so good that we planed a detour to eat there during a trip to Texas this past weekend. The menu features everything from vegan tex-mex to soul food. They have an unbelievable breakfast menu (vegan "eggs" benedict and pecan pancakes!) and their deserts include vegan soft-serve and, wait for it, homemade vegan "hostess" cupcakes. During this visit, we ordered the vegan nachos (with Daiya) and buffalo fingers as our appetizer. For our entrees, we ordered the vegan taquitos and "chicken" fried steak. Green Vegetarian Cuisine is worth the trip to San Antonio, especially if you're visiting the more vegan friendly Austin just a short drive away. For photos of our visit, check out our blog at www.veggietourist.com

Pros: brunch!, taquitos!, soft serve!
Cons: none, none, none
Fogey5
Fogey5

What a Treat!

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

During a business trip back to San Antonio, Happy Cow helped lead me to this restaurant. Green Vegetarian recently built this second location in the northern section of the city, making it very convenient to visit. The establishment was comfortable and airy and had plenty of friendly, knowledgeable, and highly efficient staff. I was seated quickly and promptly attended to by a highly energetic waitress who helped me make the tough decision necessary when selecting from their extensive menu. While perusing my options, I ordered a peanut butter smoothie (one of many smoothie options) and loved it. Although it was Sunday and they had good-looking and inexpensive brunch selections (primarily Mexican fare), I decided to order from the main lunch listing. My substitution request (brown rice instead of spaghetti) was filled without any problem and the food (mushroom stroganoff) was absolutely delectable. The restaurant played a nice music selection that was just loud enough to be heard and was in no way intrusive. Even though I normally forgo dessert, I decided to try a gluten-free cupcake with a raspberry (?) whipped topping. WOW! The price to value ratio was very good and the portions were substantial. The entire experience was great and I will definitely be returning often!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Delicious Food, Prompt Service
Thelatinsamurai
Thelatinsamurai

Great Place

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2011

THis was my first time in San Antonio and I found this great place.
People are friendly and food is great

hungryherbivore
hungryherbivore

Great vegetarian dining experience

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2011

I have been a vegetarian in San Antonio for a long time. Formerly I was a regular at the downtown location of this restaraunt, but after my dining experience the other night, I may have to change my allegiance to this new location. Sure the menu may have been a little smaller at this location compared to the previous one, but that is to be expected of any new dining establishment. Plus what this location lacked on the menu was more than made up for by the friendly and attentive service that my wife and I recieved. Our waiter was a very attentive young man with glasses who provided us with the best service we have ever had at any vegetarian establishment. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the young man who attended to our needs turned out to be a manager. He was very knowledgeable about the menu and answered any questions we had for him. We will definitely be coming back to eat here again once we return from our holiday vacation.

Pros: Outstanding service, Great food, Very affordable
Cons: Some of the younger servers texting.

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Vegetarian Cuisine at Alon: