Green Vegetarian Cuisine

Part of the Green Vegetarian restaurants in San Antonio, this location opened in Jan 2014. Features southern American comfort food with daily specials, plus desserts, fresh fruit smoothies, organic teas and coffee. Has gluten free menu and box lunch service. Casual atmosphere with counter service. Family owned and operated. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Kosher, American, Take-out

MarisaClark
MarisaClark

yummy food!

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2014

Had the portabella steak with mashed potatoes and kale salad. The kale rocks!! The mashed potatoes are amazing and the "steak" was quite tasty as well. Staff was a little slow but nice. Cupcakes are spot on too.

saveur
saveur

Excellent veg resto

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

Possibly our favourite vegan resto in Houston.

Having eaten at the San Antonio location a few years ago, I am thrilled to see Green Vegetarian Cuisine in Houston. The menu is a mix of healthy vegan fare (protein bowls, salads) along with more decadent options (fried options). They serve eggs and cheese, but can make any item vegan (tofu scramble subs for egg and Daiya for the cheese).

Almost everything here is delicious. I recommend the BBQ sandwich, enchiladas and the Nasty burger was really good, too. Also, if you go for Sunday brunch, the pancakes are incredible. Their kale salad and refried beans are really good, so don't pass over it.

I heard rave reviews about the cupcakes but I was not that impressed when I tried theirs. I prefer the ones at Radical Eats (also made in-house).

I hope they bring the soft-serve ice cream to this location (they have it at one of their San Antonio locations).

NOTE: They are closed on Saturday.

Updated from previous review on Thursday January 30, 2014

Pros: variety of foods
Cons: closed Saturday
  • GreenVegetarian GreenVegetarian

We bake our cupcakes daily in-house too! Be sure to try one next time you're visiting. Thanks for the great review. :-)

Animal Author
Animal Author

Best Restaurant Meal I've Had In Years

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this wonderful establishment. Thank you for coming to Houston! I would eat there every day if I could. We were greeted promptly and seated. We had the panko fried pickles for an appetizer, which came out at warp speed...As did our entrees. Faster service than a drive-thru. We had the chicken fried chicken and the enchiladas. I think we ate every morsel on our plates. What an amazing meal. I would challenge any meat eater to order a mock meat dish here and not love it. Our server, Meredith, was also helpful in our decision on what to order. We are so used to having maybe 2-3 options, tops, at most places. We were overwhelmed (in a good way) that we could order anything we wanted. I loved the gravy on my chik'n and mashed potatoes. The kale salad was the best I've ever had. (Thanks for your suggestions, Meredith). - I also want to acknowledge that this woman introduced herself, shook our hands and actually had a conversation with us even though they were quite busy. I will make it a point to ask for her when we return. Have already bragged about our meal and shared the website with everyone I know. Green Vegetarian Cuisine is spotless, very reasonably priced, excellent service and the food is to die for. (I don't post many reviews, either). I would encourage other fellow Houstonians to try this establishment. I hope they open more locations and that this kind of eating (and caliber of food) becomes a growing trend. If you are not veg, you will be after eating here. And Meredith thank you for bringing us a large "corner brownie" instead of a middle one. We took half of ours home and enjoyed dessert again later. On a personal note, I appreciate the heck out of not having to smell meat cooking when I go out to eat. I don't even want to see it. Just being able to eat in peace is something we greatly appreciate, because we don't get to dine out that often. Dining among other compassionate people, even better. Thank you.

Pros: Amazing Menu -lots of choices , Excellent Food , Outstanding Service

pennylane
pennylane
  • raw

Love it!!!

Posted on 02 / 24 / 2014

This place is amazing took my friends who are not vegan and they loved it! The restaurant is nice and clean the portions are good, much better than green seed vegan the only down side is they use imperial sugar which is not vegan! And fries are not included with the burgers!?
Updated from previous review on Monday February 24, 2014

Pros: Good portions , Clean , Best veggie burgers
Cons: use non veg sugar , Pricey,kale salad was sweet , they charge $3 -$5 for fries
veggriffon
veggriffon

Best REAL VEGETARIAN Restaurant in Houston!

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2014

We already visited Green several times. Everything is fresh and delicious! It is vegetarian/vegan comfort food with a daily special. The dressings they have are unbelievable. The cupcakes are delicious. They have some gluten free menu items (that are delicious)... wish there was more... though.... such as GF burgers. Best of all Green has no dead animal flesh/blood in the kitchen. Unfortunately, Houston only has a few completely vegetarian or vegan restaurants. So, this is a welcomed establishment and well over due! Staff is very friendly. Facility is very clean. Wish they would open a restaurant closer to Sugar Land. Kind of far for us but worth the drive.
Updated from previous review on Saturday February 22, 2014

Pros: Completely Vegetarian, Fresh & Good Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: Location (kind of far for us), None, None
sarahandjesse
sarahandjesse

Our favorite restaurant!

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

My husband and I are die-hard fans of Green Vegetarian Cuisine. We live in San Antonio, and we intentionally stopped at this location while passing through on a road trip. We were pleasantly surprised to see several of our favorite servers here! They had relocated temporarily, and some of them permanently, to help with the opening of the restaurant. Now what does that say about how wonderful and awesome this restaurant and its owners are? We had a great time eating here.

We are vegans, and almost every single item on the menu can be made vegan. Everything on the menu is phenomenal. The only problem you'll have at this place is deciding what to order!

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Vegetarian Cuisine: