CLOSED: Green Republic

Flag ship store for Green Republic, a vegetarian quick service dining restaurant. Featuring sandwiches, rice bowls, salads, kids menu, soups, large smoothies menu. Has Wi-Fi. Reported closed/shut down to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Caribbean, International, Take-out
521 Fleming St (Bahama St)
Key West, Florida 33040
305-293-5150

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by visitkw
vegangolfpro
vegangolfpro

Worst Food in Key West

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2011

My wife and I (both vegan) stopped for lunch while on vacation. I ordered a bbq chicken wrap and my wife order a lentil rice bowl. We also ordered a smoothie to be made with soy milk. My wife opted for brown rice (a $2 up charge from white rice) and the "naan" (a $3 up charge). My wrap was the most pathetic looking wrap i had ever seen. Inside the tortilla was white rice (of instant Uncle Ben's quality) one slice of chicken (looked like from an yves packet), about a tables spoon of black beans, a tablespoon of rice, and some lettuce. There could not have been more than $0.75 worth of ingredients. It took me four bites to eat. My wife's $15 lunch consisted of a huge pile of rice with about a 1/2 cup of cooked lentils next to it. The "naan" was simply a tortilla folded in half a few times and heated in the microwave. The smoothie was not made with soymilk (they were out, and we weren't offered a refund of the $1 upcharge), so it was simply frozen berries and water blended together. So, our $30 lunch was horrible. This had to be the most dissatisfying vegan lunch I had ever had. Also, this place has no tables. The only positive is that they are open on Sundays.[edit by staff]

Pros: Open Sunday
Cons: Terrible Food, Over Priced, Did I mention the terrible food?
  • vegangolfpro vegangolfpro

As far as my order goes, i did get the Blackened Chick-Un Burrito (I mistakenly called it a BBQ wrap in my prior post). The only change I made to it was to not get cheese in it. That's it. I made no changes when I ordered. There was definitely not six slices of chick-un in it. If there was avocado and tomato in it, then there wasn't enough put in for me to notice. An there were very little "mixed" greens in it (it looked like leaf lettuce to me). It was a tortilla, rice, a few black beans, a few pieces of corn, and a thin slice of chick-un. And as far as my wife's meal goes, it was as i described it. The young man working the register simply said that the naan was vegan. He gave no indication that we were getting a $3 side tortilla, or that it was your "interpretation" of naan. And the lentils tasted fine, but not good enough to warrant an $8.95 price, plus $2 for brown rice, plus $3 for the tortilla ($13.95 plus tax is about $15). It was our first time eating at your place, and we had no prior experience to base it on, and it was just bad. I'm not the type of person to complain at a restaurant, so we simply said "everything is fine, thank you," and left. I gave my honest opinion of your food and your establishment. I tasted very low quality, and therefore we did not return to dine again. And the only reason we cleared our plates was because there are no other vegan places open on Sunday in Key West, and for $30 i was going to suffer through every last bite.

• GreenRepublic GreenRepublic

My mistake on the order. Your order some of our most popular items, so there were more than a dozen orders with the same combination of items on Januray 23rd during our lunch period. While we can agree to disagree, our managers are compelled to correct any unsatisfied customers. You did not give this option, the excuse of "it's Sunday and it is what it is" is not satisfactory and does not represent our restaurant or a typical experience. Food tastes are subjective, and not everyone will like the same thing, but once again, we wish you would have notified as at the time of your order instead of waiting and "suffering" to then go online and write a slamming review which benefits nobody. Our apologies and we hope that should you revisit any of our stores you will speak up if you're unsatisfied and leave happy.

Post 1 of 3:

I am one of the owners of Green Republic, I do remember you and your wife, and I thank you for your patronage and for taking the time to review us. Honest and balanced reviews do help us to better our restaurant chain, however, it seems by the tone and content of your review that you came into the door having already made the decision you wouldn't enjoy the meal. This is especially so, because you both left with nothing left on your plates at the end of the meal and when you were asked repeatedly, as is our policy, how your food was, your response was that everything was good. You gave us no opportunity to rectify any situations you felt didn't meet your expectations. Had you told us you were dissatisfied we would have bent over backwards to make sure that you left happy, however we were not given this courtesy. We have a fully automated point of sale system that allows us to pull up past orders, yours included, to which I will reference in my response.

Post 2 of 3:
    The item that you described is not on our menu. The correct item is a severely customized Blackened Chick-un Burrito. We make all of our own meats in house, and the standard number of chick-un slices in your wrap would have been six. The rice used in your wrap is the same imported basmati (from Nepal) that was in your partner's Indian dish. There is no way you can confuse basmati with Uncle Ben's, it is a fragrant, long grain white rice that does not resemble white rice in taste or texture. Your customization removed the avocado, corn and tomatoes, deviating from our standard recipe, that would have added bulk (and significant flavor) to your wrap. Mixed greens were added to replace that as a courtesy to you, as we felt it looked empty. You can-not fairly review a wrap that you customized to such a degree away from the original recipe as it is not a true representation of one of our most popular items. You would have been better served ordering a Havana Black Bean rice bowl, because this is in essence what you created. We use 12" tortillas, so your "four bites" must have been quite large.

Post 3 of 3:
    Our rice bowls, including the Dhal Lentil your partner ordered are quite large by all standards. To get world class quality Indian food with authentic rice and a large quantity for $8.95 is a bargain compared to any major market that would be $15-18. These are dishes that take hours to authentically prepare, they are much more than simply "cooked lentils". Our executive chef has been cooking Indian food for over 20 years, being originally trained IN India. Your partner was notified that the "naan" was an interpretive "naan" (Naan contains ghee which is clarified butter, clearly not Vegan). Your smoothie was blended with lite soy milk, so as not to drown out the flavor of the fruits, this may have been why you perceived it as being watery. As far as tables, this store is 90% take out and delivery, and the presence or absence of tables says nothing about the quality of the food. Our newest stores opening in the Chicago market, embrace our new prototype which allows seating for 24 people plus the existing take-out business which is part and parcel of our business model. Green Republic is a rapidly growing chain, and we take the customer experience very seriously, as any restaurateur should. My apologies that you did not enjoy your meal, but to reiterate, you did not take the proper steps to change that while you were dining with us. Thank you for your feedback and happy eating. E. Scott.

tinkerbell
tinkerbell

Amazing choice in menu

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2011

Greeted by friendly and helpful staff.
The menu choice was huge and we hiked that you could eat there for lunch and dinner for 14 days and still not get through all the menu!
The curries were great tasting, and I really recommend the vindaloo and the taster plate of curries.

My sons enjoyed the choice of veggie burgers and subs.
It was great to have plenty to choose from, and something for all the family, even with a fussy eater (9 year old veggie) and a vegan in the family.

The range of smoothies are also worth trying out.

I really recommend a visit or two here. I know if we venture back to Key West sometime soon, then we will be visiting Green Republic.

Pros: Great choice, Helpful staff, Fab tasting food
Cons: Not much comfy seating, The naan is more of a flatbread
illogical
illogical

Delivered and still hot

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2011

The Sunday following Christmas we stayed at the hotel to watch football. Didn't want to leave because the weather turned bad. Called in our order and when we received it about a 1/2 hour later, it was still hot and delicious. We had the Dahl lentils, a smoothie, california roll and a wrap all outstanding..We had passed the resturant earlier in the week and it did seem small and of course outdoors so it would not have been a choice of ours that day.

Pros: prompt service, great healthy food
Cons: small, out of the way

Parasol
Parasol

Decent but needs improvement

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2010

We were on a cruise that stopped in Key West so we decided to take a break from the ship's food. Green Republic was an easy walk from the port.

The menu is extensive and therefore a little daunting. Everything sounds delicious and the smoothie selection is truly amazing. There was even a display case of vegan cupcakes. Staff was very friendly.

There is no proper seating area in this restaurant. Our guess is that it's because there is no bathroom so it is officially a take-out place. There are a couple of wicker chairs to sit in where we ate.

We each ordered a sandwich and cringed when we heard the microwave ding from the other side of the wall. The food was tasty but needs improvement. The bun or bread should be toasted at least. There was significan liquid from the sandwiches that made the bread soggy at the bottom.

Definitely not close to the greatest sandwiches we've tasted but there is a chance we off-ordered. Next time I'd opt for a rice bowl but honestly, Key West holds little else to draw me back so consider the rice bowls my recommendation to you.

Pros: Selection, Rare find in Key West - fake meats!, Friendly staff
Cons: Presentation, Use of microwaves, Geared towards take-out
bill
bill

Not a sit-down restaurant

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

A very good take-out restaurant with many unique and delicious sandwiches. The staff was friendly. We loved the cupcakes!

visitkw
visitkw

Great Place

Posted on 12 / 05 / 2009

Great food. Many choices for vegans. Super fast service and nice size portions. We go there regularly, and so glad to have another vegetarian restaurant in town. They are opened 7 days a week.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Guest
Guest

Amazing food like this in Key West?

Posted on 11 / 07 / 2009

As someone born in Portland and growing up in the Vegetarian scene in Seattle I can tell you I was shocked to discover Green Republic. The food reminded me of Indian Vegetarian meets Asian Vegetarian meets Euro Cafe. You walk in three big menu boards with wonderful selections from around the world you get to choose from. They even have flags next to them to tell you the country of origin.

I ordered the Cuban Sandwich and the soup of the day which happened to be a vegan sante-fe corn chowder. The cuban looked and smelled and tasted like the real thing. The soup was absolutely one of the best soups I have ever eaten. The sad part is I am only here for two more days before I head back home. I hope my stomach can stretch far.

Pros: Huge Menu, Fun Decor, Awesome service
Cons: seating

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Green Republic: