CLOSED: Green Papaya Thai...

Serves meat, veg options available. All vegetarian but some curries on the menu contain shrimp paste. Make sure to ask the staff which curries on their menu do not contain shrimp paste. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Thai, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Greenmalagor

No longer strictly vegetarian

4 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2012

As of January, 2012, Green Papaya will no longer be vegetarian only. The sign in their window (see photos) reads:

"Dear Customers,

We apologize for the inconvenience, due to low volume of Vegan/Vegetarian consumers Green Papaya will not be able to stay open. After New Year of 2012 [2011 on sign, but I'm sure they mean 2012] we're renovating this place into a non-vegan restaurant. Although we're changing things up a bit here; we will still offer Vegetarians our selective menu and no worries our utilities such as pots, pans, and ingredients for Vegetarian will most definitely be separated from non-vegetarian. Hope to see you guys again once we re-open our new restaurant!!!

Sincerely, Green Papaya."

I found Green Papaya's food to be excellent, and assume it will remain so when they start selling a more "diverse" menu.

so so

2 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

My wife and I visited the Green Papaya few days ago. We had the Spicy & Sour Tofu Soup, Spicy Eggplant Tofu and Green Curry Gluten. While we were excited to visit a 100% vegan thai restaurant, we had the hardest time finding parking and the food was only so so. Soup was interesting and Green Curry was tasty although not spicy. We probably won't go back.

Pros: Flavorful soup
Cons: Mild dishes, parking hard to find

yum! and not too pricey!

5 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2010

I went for lunch very very hungry, and got more than I could eat for a reasonable price. Did the lunch special thing, so received cucumber salad (sweet but not too much), fried tofu appetizer (lightly crispy, not outstanding but certainly tasty in the peanut sauce), white rice, and the tofu basil (amazing crisp veggies, nicely cooked tofu, slightly smoky chili flavor and the basil was both fragrant and plentiful) all for something like 9 dollars. Had enough to save for later, too!

Service was friendly and efficient. I'm really excited to go back and try some of the more unique menu items, like the taro and mushroom dishes.

Pros: tasty, good value, nice decor
Cons: none yet

Yum!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2010

This place was fabulous. Tried three dishes - hot and sour soup, papaya salad and fresh rolls - and all three got a hearty five cows. Wish we had been hungry enough to try the mains, but this place was fantastic. Do not miss if in Berkeley. Portions are ample.

My new favorite Thai place

5 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2010

Okay... so I haven't exactly been to very many thai places since moving here from Flagstaff, AZ, but this place is amazing... and the fact that it is all vegan is even more amazing. I went with two friends and we shared two plates and a soup and it was all delicious. Your only problem will be deciding what to order. The prices were reasonable, and the space is inviting. Check this place out soon if you haven't already! Also the downtown Berkeley location is great. Right near the campus, several businesses and BART.

Pros: price, location, variety

Vegan Thai Not to be Missed

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2010

It is such a welcome change to have a new vegan Thai restaurant in the East Bay. I was pleasantly surprised to find the food so delicately flavored and fresh. The staff cheerfully accommodated our request for soft (not fried) tofu and made sure everything was just right. The menu provides plenty of variety, without the use of fake meat. I will surely be returning here before too long.

Pros: Fresh, delicious food, No fish sauce or eggs!, Many choices, all vegan

Fabulous Vegan Thai in Berkeley

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2009

They have a very extensive menu and everything was good. I had the taro rolls wrapped in yuba skin which was delicious. Also had a curry, fried rice and a green bean/gluten dish which were all great.

Other bonus, they are open pretty late for Berkeley (11 pm) and are an easy walk from BART.

They just opened so support!

Pros: good food, menu variety, open late

New style Thai Food ... Reasonable Price !!!

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2009

Green Papaya Thai Vegetarian Cuisine ... is one more choice that have Tasty Thai Food with vegetarian style ...

I've beed there about 2 days ago .. And I really appreciate about everything ... Food, style of the restaurant, service, etc.

Check it out ...