The Green Light Cafe that was in a shared space with BoBo Gallery at 18 N Lexington shut down in 2012. Now offers vegetarian catering service only. more-less

First Review by scgilles
Laina
Laina

Very happy!

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2012

After over 24 hours of no sleep, a long plane ride from the Pacific Northwest, and the shock of 95 degree heat and humidity like I've never experienced before my boyfriend and I stumbled upon Green Light Cafe after being in Asheville for less than two hours. We were hungry, tired, and HOT! We were greeted by a wonderful waitress with Chlorophyll water (so refreshing!) and a friendly explanation of several menu options. Our meal was absolutely delicious, the staff was attentive but relaxed and we left feeling happy and full. We would definitely go back!

Pros: chlorophyll water, awesome food, friendly staff
firboy4
firboy4

Absolute best restaurant in W. North Carolina!

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

I've eaten at the Green Light Cafe on several occasions and at different times of the day. I've always been exceptionally pleased not only with the fresh and tasty vegan dishes, but also the excellent service! I highly recommend it to everyone. I love the fact that I was offered a specialty water for free. But it's the food that I go for. And I always feel like the staff really appreciates my being there.
Oh! And the prices are very good. It is NOT overpriced like some of the other vegetarian places in town where I feel like I'm helping pay off the debt to overdecorate! But the Green Light Cafe is nicely done and clean. I would take my mother there, and love to bring my out of town guests too.

Pros: Food , Service , Cleanliness
Cons: none, none, none
rjonesavl
rjonesavl

Best Vegan Food in Asheville

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

The Green Light Cafe has a diverse menu with vegan and vegitarian options ranging from international cuisine to comfort food. The Chef Shannon and her team always amaze my family and I with her amazing daily specials. Her ingredients and mostly local and organic. The staff are extremely friendly and knowledgeable on food and food allergies. If you want to experience the real asheville you should check out this place.

jetgal
jetgal

good vibe

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

Popular with the locals for a reason- friendly staff, healthy food that fills you up, and decent prices. Everyone was ordering Bangkok noodles, so I did too. The tofu was well seasoned- a little chewy, but tasty. Overall, I thought it was great and I plan to go back next time I'm in asheville.

Pros: healthy, fresh food, staff
Cons: nada
pentagoth79
pentagoth79

Yummy Food!

4 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

We fell in love with the place at Floyd Fest so decided to go there when we visited Asheville. The restaurant is very neat looking with lots of artwork. The staff is friendly and service pretty quick. Everything we got to eat was delicious. I like the chlorophyll water they serve you.

Pros: tasty, artistic
Cons: not all vegan
Julie R
Julie R

SECOND TIME EATING HERE -- GREAT BOTH TIMES

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2011

I ate here today for the second time. I had the reuben sandwich (it's the 4th reuben at different places I've had in the last 5 days!). It was very good. Plenty of tempeh and the sauce and other stuff on it was very good. It was a big sandwich, and came with some good tortilla chips. The service was excellent, and the meal was reasonably priced ($7.50, I think). I enjoyed it so much and rank it high on my list of tempeh reubens!

This place has a lot of vegan selections, as well as vegetarian; there are also smoothies and teas. It has nice, friendly service and was a cute place; low-key and casual. The location is excellent; right in the middle of everything in downtown Asheville. I find the prices reasonable - even on the low side.

I also ate here last October when I was in Asheville and I had sweet potato patties (vegan) served over brown rice. It was really delicious. I think my meal was only around $7 or $8.

Pros: Cool place, Good food, Good prices
mathman
mathman

Green Light Cafe

2 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

The staff was friendly, but got my order mixed up. When they corrected it, it was a rush job through the oven, and therefore was cold; even so, the mole sauce was rather bland. Still, I'm willing to give them another try some time.

cringer
cringer

Gree4n Light is Great!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2011

I love the atmosphere at this restaurant. There is always seating available and never a wait. The staff is very friendly and I sometimes dream about their BBQ Citrus Bowl. It is wonderful. They have this Thai crepe that is amazing also.

Pros: available seating, decent prices, downtown
Jenniferrose
Jenniferrose

Visiting from Hillsborough!

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2011

There is no way I can describe to you how delicious and amazing this restaurant is! We are pretty picky eaters and often don't go out to eat because we feel the food won't nourish us the way we want to nourish our bodies while also being delicious. While visiting for 3 days, and with tons of choices in Asheville, we chose to eat at the Green Light 4 times in the two days they were opened. From the water with chlorophyl (brilliant) to the delectable, interesting and nutricious, organic food..every single plate was a masterpiece. Our 8 year old daughter was even blown away and mopping the food up faster than I have ever seen her eat. I honestly have no idea in the world what the other reviewer, who gave this diamond of a restaurant a bad review, could have possibly been talking about????? The wait staff, the owner, everything and everyone were sooo friendly, generous (the owner even shared one of our favorite dishes recipes with me...and I just made it the day after I came home!)....they were awesome! I simply can't say enough about the people, the nutritious shakes, and every last ingredient in every last interesting dish. The prices were so low that I have no idea how they do it...not a dish higher than $8.25 as my daughter has been telling people! Trust me when I say we are discerning, and I am soo grateful to have found Green Light Cafe. It will be a staple of each of our visits to Asheviile....
Thank you, Leanne, for your creativity and consciouness!!!!!!
Everyone go, you will be thrilled you did!!
Jennifer, Harvey, and Jordana

Pros: excellent food, super healthy, organic, vegetarian, prices
hippublican
hippublican

Wonderful!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2011

Greenlight is a lovely, quiet place to enjoy a tasty, healthy meal. We stopped in for lunch and had a few sandwiches and some nachos. The sandwiches were great and the nachos were some of the best I've had... they're definitely on par with the nachos at Chicago Diner. The vegan chipotle sour cream was a great touch.
I also appreciated that this restaurant was a bit more refined and quiet than most vegetarian restaurants tend to be. Our waitress was so sweet and helpful, too, which isn't something we've encountered much during our time in Asheville. All in all a great experience! Can't wait to go back.

Pros: professional, inexpensive, friendly service
Cons: smallish menu
Tocho
Tocho

Terrible

2 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2010

Green Light Café Review

Asheville, October 2010

I was happy to see that Green Light Cafe had relocated to Asheville from Black Mountain. I had eaten at the other location a few times. I checked out their web site and the selections were appetizing. I went there with a friend on a recent Saturday night. Downtown Asheville has a lot of good food and many restaurants are on waiting lists. There was no wait at Green Light. I was soon to find out why. My friend and I are both professional chefs and know a great deal about commercial food preparation. There were 2 wait staff and one person in the kitchen (the owner). Although the place only had less than half a dozen tables occupied, the wait staff had trouble handling that amount of people. The staff was confused about what was sold out on the menu. I ordered a sandwich with a salad. I was given the wrong dressing and the wrong chips. My friend ordered the lasagna off the menu, making it clear that he didn't want the special lasagna. He was given the special lasagna. It was inedible. We told the waitress, and she said, "I don't know why he gave you that one." We asked for an adjustment on the bill. She said she would take care of it. As I have stated, I am a professional chef and I know the food business, if you are served the wrong item there should be no charge for that item. She presented the bill and there was a full charge for the item. After wrangling a few minutes she took one dollar off! We will never go back there again. The staff appeared stoned, the owner has dreadlocks well over his shoulders and he looks dirty. The service was dreadful and the food was worse.

Cons: poor food, stoned staff
  • cringer cringer

The owner is a woman, so it must not have been her. I have never had such a bad experience at this restaurant and I have been there dozens of times. I am wondering if it was a bad day. Since you have restaurant experience, I'm sure you understand the high turn over rates and sometimes restaurants end up with some bad employees. I would highly recommend at least trying it one more time. Please!?!? 99% of the time, their food and service is AWESOME!

Sue Miller
Sue Miller

Wonderful veg!

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2010

We really enjoyed our experience at the Green Light Cafe. Ate in the Gallery...great atmosphere. The server was really effecient and the food was an OMG! Will definitely go back next time we're in downtown Asheville.

Pros: Free Chlorophyll water, Amazing veg food, Nice people
scgilles
scgilles

Amazing & Flexible!

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2010

My husband and I stumbled up on Green Light Cafe while in Asheville and what a wonderful surprise it was! They were extremely helpful in accommodating my husband's diet (vegan, NO OIL/No added fat). He had the Jamaican Mix Up (or Mash Up, can't remember) and I had the Sweet Potato Patties w/ brown rice & peanut sauce. Both dishes were AMAZING (peanut sauce...unbelievable)!!! Both came w/ salads and were inexpensive. They had 2 fresh teas, the hibiscus was fantastic. They were at Bonnaroo too and saved us from having to eat crap all weekend!

Pros: Great Value, Accommodating
Cons: No room for dessert (haha)

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Light: