Green Leaf Vegetarian...

Opened in March 2013, this family-run vegetarian restaurant specializes in Vietnamese and Chinese cuisine and also offers a few western style sandwiches. Bargain lunch special is available Tue-Thur. Casual dining setup with free wi-fi. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Vietnamese, American, Take-out
8900 W Broad St Ste A
Richmond, Virginia 23294
804-527-2268

Open Tue-Thur, Sun 11:30am-2:30pm, 4:30-9pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, 4:30-9:30pm.

First Review by jdillar6
AnnalieseH
AnnalieseH

They're great... when they're actually open!

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2014

My husband and I have had two very happy visits at Green Leaf. We've also had three failed visits, which really turned us off of this restaurant. We live three hours away from Richmond now, so going to Green Leaf is a real treat and only happens on the few occasions when we have business in Richmond. Our last three attempts to eat there have been thwarted. The first time was my own fault: I didn't know they were closed on Mondays, so I should have checked online. My bad. The last two times, however, they simply had a paper sign on their door saying they were closed that day (NOT a Monday). I'm guessing that this is a family business and that's why they had unexpected closings, but that really just made us distrust this restaurant. You shouldn't have to call ahead to see if a place is even open during their normal business hours.

Okay, enough of that. Let's talk about our successful visits, because those times made us extremely happy.

1. The atmosphere is kind of sparse, but it's still nice, and the servers are welcoming and helpful.

2. The crispy spring rolls are a little oilier than I normally like, but the flavor is very good, and they're fun to eat. The hot and sour soup is good, too!

3. I adore General Tao's Golden Nuggets and the Kung Pao! The Ocean Nuggets and Seaweed-Wrapped Soy Fillets dishes are fun, too, when you're craving seafood, and my husband liked the Lemongrass Tofu.

I really want to try everything on the menu that's vegan, but I just don't know if that will ever happen, between me living so far away and the restaurant's spontaneous closings...

If this restaurant weren't so inconsistent with their hours, they would get 5 stars hands down.

welpee
welpee

Richmond's Best

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

Great food, great prices, great service. What more do you need?

Pros: Great Vegan Food, Prices, Service
GreggVA
GreggVA

I've turned over

5 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2014

Was on an expedition to do a little shopping at REI and found this place listed on Smiley Moo. It does not actually face Broad Street so finding was a little difficult. The closest cross street is Homeview Drive and it is on the North side of Broad Street.

Staff was very friendly and the restaurant was clean and simply decorated. It is a fairly large place so getting seated was not an issue.

A fairly large menu with a full array of appetizers, noodle bowls, and main courses. The style is definitely Asian with Vietnamese and Thai flair. We started with some Fresh steamed spring rolls. They were very tasty with considerable amounts of cilantro, tofu, and veggi-ham. My wife ordered the General Tso's and I ordered the Hot Hot Kung Pao "Chicken" dish. They came with rice and you had the option of white or brown, the latter I chose.

Service was fairly quick but there were not a whole lot of people when we got there. It was really starting to fill in by the time we left.

The food was delicious and I found out why my dish stated "hot" twice. The General Tso's was a mix of protein and broccoli in a spicier brown sauce versus the typical sweeter plum style. Great flavor and well balanced. The Hot Hot Kung Pao was a diced protein, celery, and peanuts in a pleasantly spicy brown sauce. The heat did not take away from the flavor but I went through some water along the way. Total dinner with water was $24.75 + tax.

They offer a number of desserts that we did not try this time but I imagine they are great as well. This will become a regular stop for us when we are in the Richmond area!
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 09, 2014

Pros: It's a vegetarian restaurant!, Great food selection, Great taste
Cons: Too far from home
MattJBA
MattJBA

Quick and Delicious

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2013

The Green Leaf is one of my favorite restaurants in the Richmond area. The service is fast and the food is delicious. I have taken numerous non-vegetarian friends/coworkers here and they are always surprised by how good vegetarian/vegan food can be. I strongly recommend the Green Leaf. My standard order is the Hawaiian Deluxe with Hot & Sour Soup, but you really can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Try the Lettuce Wraps if you are looking for a terrific appetizer (large enough to be a meal).
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 15, 2013

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Staff
Derek Toro
Derek Toro

Best new Vegetarian restaurant in Richmond

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2013

This is the best new Vegetarian restaurant in Richmond. 99% of their menu is Vegan and the food is a mix of Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese. The food is so good that even hard-core meat eaters that I have brought there to try it have loved it and always want to come back for more. This is a must for any Vegetarian or Vegan.

roxette521
roxette521

Addictive

5 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

God, this place is sooo sooo good! Thank you for opening in Richmond! I can bike to several restaurants in my neighborhood, but I make the drive out here at least once a month because the food is always great. When they say it's spicy, it's actually spicy. The ingredients are fresh and varied. The service is always very sweet. My favorite is Royal noodle soup (big enough for an entree) and orange soy protein. I actually crave this place.

Pros: Super delicious, Cheap, Friendly service
NikkiStitch
NikkiStitch

New and Tasty!

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

I have decided that I need to work my way through every item on the menu! I say this because after eating here twice I have not been disappointed by any of the dishes I have ordered and am only intrigued by the rest of the menu.

Well-priced, responsive service, quiet atmosphere, huge menu selection, and everything so far has tasted good!

Tip: try the faux chicken salad dumpling appetizer. It won't disappoint! And the wonton soup flavor tastes just like a remember it from when I was a kid.

Pros: menu variety-- something for everyone, supporting an all-vegetarian restuarant, price
youshouldbeglad
youshouldbeglad

MMM, My new favorite place in Richmond

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

Excellent food, the staff is so nice, they make you feel at home. I'm moving through the menu and there is nothing I don't like. I can't wait to come back and visit next!

Pros: Friendly staff, Great Food, Good Value
Justin K.
Justin K.

You have to eat here! So delicious!

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

I can not write enough nice things about Green Leaf in general, the staff or the food. I had an amazing visit with a coworker, the food was delicious, the service was great - our waitress made plenty of recommendations since it was our first time. The owner stopped by too and it was nice chatting with her about the restaurant.

We both really enjoyed our dishes. The pot stickers and the fried vegan chicken salad blossom were tasty (I really wanted to try the lettuce wraps but figured those were far more prevalent an option - next time!) My dinner companion tried the Ocean nuggets w/ vegetables. She liked it, but nowhere near as much as we both enjoyed the Hawaiian deluxe. This dish was insane. The fresh grilled pineapple paired with the sweet and sour sauce with a dash of spice was truly delectable. You really need to try this dish - no wonder it was our servers favorite! Only thing I might do different would be to add broccoli (soak up more sauce + who doesn't love broccoli) and add snow peas - because, again, who doesn't like snow peas?! Also need to give a shout-out to the brown rice - the owner explained she soaks it overnight to make it as soft as it is. Such a great complement to the dish!

This place was a 10/10, can't wait to bring friends and co-workers back here. If you haven't been yet - what are you waiting for?!

Pros: delicious food, large clean restaurant, take out
aidil02
aidil02

Can Convert Omnis

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

You won't even have to tell omnis that it is vegetarian only. It is soooo good they won't even miss a thing.

As others have said, the owners are very diligent to please their customers. I've tried several desserts, entrees and apps and everything has been beyond delicious!

This restaurant is clean and prompt with service.

I love the vegan chocolate cake. The icing is AMAZING!!!!!!

My husband is omni and he happily suggests this place on his own without any prodding from me. The flavors are full and the portions are great.

Pros: Wonderful service, AWESOME food, Super clean
Broem
Broem

Awesome spot

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

I was shocked to see a veg spot in such a location but it WORKS. The atmosphere is sparse but the staff are attentive and know their stuff. We've eaten there numerous times and have enjoyed everything we've ordered. They have a lunch special but I haven't been. Most of the dinner menu is vegan. The spring rolls are crunchy and make me happy. Just go there already.

Pros: Amazing food, Well priced, Good staff
Cons: Can get loud when full, Large open room
jdillar6
jdillar6

Rich Tastes

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2013

The interior is calm and the staff is extremely caring. They check on you with each dish and proactively refill drinks. We had visits from the owner and her best friend on both our visits. No item has disappointed us thus far. We love the pot stickers and lettuce b wraps to start, but when it comes to entrees, as good as everything is, the sweet and sour sensation wins hands down.

Pros: Selection, Flavors, Portions
Cons: Still Smoothing Out The Service

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Leaf Vegetarian Restaurant:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Richmond page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/01/21