Green Grocer Chicago

Organic food, vegan and gluten free options, and more. Works with Midwestern farmers and producers to provide freshest food available while supporting the local economy. more-less

First Review by SynthVegan
rhymeswithtwee
rhymeswithtwee

well stocked for a wee store

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2011

Cassie and co. are so nice. Lots of great items are available and they also offer classes and tastings here. Not like we need more of them, but they stock lots of great sweets here. Some of my fave local brands: Upton's Naturals, Nice Cream, River Valley Kitchens. Pretty sure all the produce is from local farms. You can't buy much more local than this.

Pros: great stock, lovely staff, they have classes
Cons: fairly small shop
lenabobena
lenabobena

awesome place to get most of your groceries

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2011

Especially during busier times, Green Grocer is the best place for me to shop. Always carrying great local and organic produce - they also don't charge up the wazooo for stuff. I'd rather support these wonderful people. They also have Justin's Hazelnut/Chocolate butter for significantly cheaper than other places I've been... YUM

They will look into, and potentially carry anything that you'd like - so if you don't see something, ASK. They have food tastings often, locally sourced alcohol, nice bread and some bulk goods too!

Pros: Awesome Variety, Food Samples/Tastings, Locally Sourced
Cons: Small location
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Best Specialty Grocer in Chicago

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2008

The Green Grocer is quite an amazing store and I'm so glad to have found it via Happy Cow. When I first walked in I was greeted by the owner, Cassie, she was very friendly and most helpful. I first asked her what was Vegan in the store and she gladly showed me around and even introduced some products that I hadn't even heard of before [they have a Vegan cheese that melts - this is made locally]. She also carries an ice cream made by a Chicago company called Temptation - all I can say is WOW! I can't believe its Vegan!!! I also got some Vegan snicker doodle cookies that she orders from an independent seller [may be an Amish seller, I can't remember], they were fantastic! Over the weekend they get Vegan donuts from a local bakery as well - I have yet to try these because I limited myself to a few desert items.

Also, she told me they offer classes there during the month. The day I went in they were offering a course about cleansing/fasting [I may be wrong, but it's similar to that]. So give the store a call and check out their schedule.

Overall this is a great store with quality products, I will be sure to make frequent trips here. The pricing is great too! I couldn't believe how great the prices were for being a small specialty store - I definitely prefer this store over Whole Foods.

Pros: Knowledgeable-Friendly Staff , Great Prices, Good Variety

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Grocer Chicago: