Vegan Chinese restaurant. Yum cha on Saturday and Sunday lunch. Has a buffet bar where food is charged by weight - available at lunch daily and for dinner Tue-Sun nights. Open daily. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by khity
balupton
balupton

Typical slimy processed foods

2 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

We went here considering the good reviews, on the premise it may be different, but in the end it followed the trend of a typical slimy processed foods place you can expect from similar eastern style vegan establishments.

Has an alright store next door, but pretty much everything contains palm or coconut oil (palm and coconut are both responsible for indonesia's deforestation).

If you are to have the buffet there, have it as early as possible to the start of the buffet, as the food goes cold and old as is not turned over and the heating mustn't work that well, the food just sits there, it's the same food the entire time. They said the buffet starts at 6pm (how long it sits there before the buffet starts is another question), we ordered at about 8.15pm or so, and weren't pleased after tasting the food. We ended up getting half our money back and leaving.

Maybe if you like the typical slimy processed foods scene, you'll like it, otherwise, this place is no different, so give it a miss.

Cons: Processed, Slimy, Cold
abhaya
abhaya

Great buffet and vegan desserts

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

I love going to have the buffet here. Lots of nice food. Most dishes have some type of mock meat.

Golden4021
Golden4021

Too meaty!

2 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

In my opinion the food all taste a bit the same. I don't find it feels healthy. And there are certain things there I simply can not eat as they are so so meaty! It really grosses me out!

Hey, but that's just me! Go make up your own mind… you may love it!

Have a lovely day.

Cheerio!

Pros: no meat
Cons: taste like meat, kinda greasy, doesn't feel healthy

bianchina
bianchina

Delicious!

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2014

It's surprising to see a mix of positive and negative reviews about Green Gourmet, because I have always loved this place! The buffet has been great in my experience - varied, well stocked, with many enticing options. Rice paper rolls especially good. The laksa from the menu is my boyfriend's favorite, the vegetables are sliced very long and thin and mixed with the noodles, which he loves! The food is prepared in a fresh style, not all greasy, as sometimes happens with Chinese food.

Pros: delicious food, yum cha and buffet is fun & interesting
Cons: a little pricey
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Maybe I'm missing something?

3 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

I know this place is a Newtown vegan institution but I'm not sure why, especially considering the other options close by. I've been a number of times and I've been underwhelmed every time.

I've done yum-cha twice and there were few options - and all the offerings were similar to each other. I've done the buffet a few times and always felt it was not stocked enough and that I was fighting for scraps, and that much of the offerings were too old. I ordered off the menu once and was uninspired. The last time I went I was bamboozled by how they let the walls get to the dirty state they were in; I'd be embarrassed if it was my place.

The staff seem nice enough and there is often a lively vibe. Being associated with Vegan's Choice next door and knowing that Vegan's Choice also sell non-vegan options also makes me a little uncomfortable.

I think I've given this place enough chances - no more. But others seem to like it so try it - maybe you'll leave with a different experience from me.

Pros: All vegan(?)
Cons: Yum-cha options limited, Buffet not up to scratch
  • thecriclover99 thecriclover99

I totally agree!
    I don't know why all of my friends rave about this place, because every time I go, I find my expectations aren't met...

I much prefer Green Palace, Thai (now lotus blossom) when I'm in Newtown...

Belblue
Belblue

Cute!

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

I think this place is great, I feel relaxed and at home every time I come here. Not at all pretentious and it feels like I'm always running into friends at other tables. The buffet is great, the laksa is delicious and the desserts are wonderful. I think the vegan icecreams can be a little bland... depends on the flavour you choose, but I can't complain about much here... The lighting could be dimmer!

Petesternz
Petesternz

Yummy, though not the best...

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

I agree with the last reviewer. It was my first visit, but won't be my last. Very good food, with nice flavour, and it is not too oily or heavy. Not the best Asian vegan place I've ever been too, but well worth the time and money. They do nice fake meat dishes, and everything had good flavour.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 22, 2007

Visited again last night and feel much the same. I understand why people like it. The menu options are outstanding, and everything looks good. That said, I've had much better mock meat Chinese style in recent months at Tian Ran on the Gold Coast, and Lotus Pond in Victoria, BC. I don't feel like Green Gourmet is just that delicious. Everything is solid, and the options are tremendous, but the food is just good, that's all. Still worthwhile, but a pricey dinner for good food, so know what you're getting into.

Pros: big portions, clean
Gobbledock
Gobbledock

Delicious vegan Chinese, with plenty of mock!

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

I've been going to Green Gourmet since they opened more than 10 years ago, and I must say, it keeps on getting better, if not also more expensive (!).

Green Gourmet offers À la carte as well as a buffet that is charged by weight. I used to always order off the menu, which is probably slightly fresher and better quality than the buffet, but lately I've found myself grabbing a quick dinner for the buffet- it's very convenient!

Probably the best aspect of Green Gourmet is the Yum Cha on Sat and Sundays. Make sure you get there early when it's busy because that way you'll get the best variety of yum cha.

Pros: Tasty, yum cha
Cons: bad service sometimes
sweeteater
sweeteater

Great choice

4 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2013

I think this place has done very well. The only thing I dont like is that they make the food look like meat! It's just not necessary! But anyway, it's all vegan and that's very cool with such tasty food. The desserts are really nice too. Looking forward to going back!

Pros: yummy, relaxed and non fuss type of place
Cons: food looks like meat
Jim23
Jim23

Really enjoy the Yum Cha

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

I visit Sydney regularly, but funnily enough have only been to Green Gourmet twice, but both times the yum cha has been great.
Good atmosphere, friendly staff, and the variety of dishes is worth a try for anything visiting.
Some of the fried yum cha options were a bit overly greasy and oily, however the steamed options like the buns and the dumplings were excellent.
Can get a little pricy if you want to sample alot of the dishes, but I have left both times very satisfied.

Pros: great yum cha, excellent variety of dishes, good atmosphere
Cons: some dishes very oily and greasy, can get expensive
TasNN
TasNN

Worth going out of your way for

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2013

Really good vegan food! Yum Cha is awesome, and the buffet gives you the chance to try a good range of things all in one visit.

If you're only visiting Sydney (like me), it's only a couple of train stops out of the city, and an easy walk from the station. Well worth it, I always try to make time to pop in when I'm in town.

Don't forget to check out next door as well, vegan cakes, ice cream and groceries to go!

Pros: Great range, Tasty food
Cons: Can get a little pricy
Lea
Lea

Deep fried vegan ice cream Mmmmmm!

5 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2013

The food is scrumptious - in addition to the dishes listed in 'pros', I love the 3 treasures chow mein and the 'oysters' (battered mushrooms - be careful to let the heat out before biting). Tragically, the weekend yum cha service is usually very bad - you can sit there for an hour and get 3 things, 2 of which are stone cold. Week days/nights are best because there are more staff and you can get served. Don't bother ordering the fancy teas - you'll get jasmine regardless and be charged the higher price. The first time we ordered the ice cream, it was so creamy we didn't eat it because we didn't believe it was non dairy. This is also a great place for family meals with non-vegetarians - our relos actually ask us to take them there. Afterwards (till 8pm) you can pick up some delicious vegan ready made chilled foods and pantry items in the shop next door (including the icecream). The great cooking staff are sadly let down by some of the serving staff (on weekends) including the owner I am sorry to say who sits up the back chatting to his friends while you wait 20 mins just to get a menu (this was not a one off experience either). I've had some very frustrating experiences here, but if approached strategically, I still think it is one of Sydney's best.
Updated from previous review on Friday August 29, 2008

Update: I am delighted to report that in the last couple of years this restaurant has had a complete turn around in its customer service standards and I can now wholeheartedly recommend it. The food continues to be as fantastic as ever. They have also continued to expand and evolve the menu over time so there are often new things to try. Current favourite is the naughty but nice 'better than calamari' which never fails to set people raving and wanting to order another one. I also love the organic burdock root salad which is so fresh and lovely. They now have lots of staff on the floor who are friendly and treat you like long lost family (unlike previously when they always acted like they'd never seen you before even though you went there every week). The owner Colin is a friendly and good hearted person who also helps out when things get too busy. We now always get the right tea (rosebuds with fresh chopped lemongrass) and quite often they make it for us before we even order it! But the cherry on top is the weekend yum cha, which is now the best in the land. Huge variety of hot fresh delights coming faster than you can poke a stick at! My number 1 fave!

Pros: Vegan deep fried cream, Crispy skin not chicken, The best yum cha
Cons: Can be a bit noisy when full
Third Eye
Third Eye

Love this place!

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

Really liked this place, grab anything you want from the buffet! (all vegan) then you get charged by weight :) i always have a hard time choosing what to buy at restaurants because i want a bit of everything, and this place fulfils this desire. would definetly recommend.

Pros: cheap, good food, can sample a bit of everything
sbszine
sbszine

Median dining

3 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

This is one of those places that serves dishes to share rather than complete meals. You need to go with friends and order a variety of stuff to get the most out of it.

The food is generic Chinese vegetarian, Beijing style. Nothing is spicy or oily, which is a negative for me but possibly a plus for you.

The huge menu is all vegan, which is great to see.

Pros: Yum cha, Huge menu
Cons: No booze allowed, boo, Expensive
Moix
Moix

Finally made it here.. and was disappointed.

3 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2012

I've heard so many positive things about Green Gourmet! I came here quite late on Sunday evening & tried the buffet. The food wasn't kept very warm & also it was pricier than I expected at $15 for a place. Zero ambience at this place however the staff are friendly. The ice cream is lovely, especially the dark chocolate flavour. I will give it another go sometime, maybe it is better at lunchtimes / ordering off the menu rather than buffet.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 31, 2012

Pros: Variety, Self Serve Portions, Grocery Attached
Cons: Tepid buffet, Boring decor
  • Moix Moix

Oh thanks, hmm I'll definitely give them another shot, yum cha yes please!

• moo moo

I also got put off Green Gourmet some years ago by starting on their buffet. It was healthy and cheap (at the time), but not interesting to my tastes. However, I can very highly recommend the Yum Cha on weekends, and also enjoy some menu items (a plain soup on a winter night is wonderful).

Reki
Reki

Surprising

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

This place surprised me. I had it described to me as 'vegan chinese' so I was weary at first but it was much better than I thought it would be. It can get a bit pricy if you order off the menu. However the buffet (which is priced by weight) is a good way to keep the cost down and try different things. The service has also been quite friendly every time I've gone.

Pros: friendly staff, good 'chinese' food, cheap buffet option
Cons: use a lot of soy protien, can get expensive
emvee
emvee

Yay for green gourmet

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2011

I have been coming to green gourmet on an extremely regular basis (read - eats out far too much) for years. And what can I say - I still love this place. And I haven't even tried everythg on the menu. In fact my partner and I regularly debate whether we should try something new (so tantalizing) or pick an old favorite... He always wants the monks choice hotpot and the burdock salad. My current favorite is the nori cutlets with salty plum sauce. With larger groups the banquet is pretty awesome. We prefer to order from the menu rather than the buffet.

Pros: Delicious food, Huge range & variety, Excellent, friendly service
cheeky46
cheeky46

interesting concept

4 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2011

fresh, good variety & i like the concept of paying for food, by its weight lol, sigh! nice ambiance & very spacious. good for large groups.

Pros: fresh/variety food, spacious, locations
Cons: parking car - newtown location
Chewbecca
Chewbecca

Awful - don't understand the hype

2 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2010

I have eaten here twice and both times left feeling very disappointed, and so has everyone who was dining with me too. I don't understand why everyone raves about this place. The first time, I ordered a fake meat based dish - BBQ Pork from memory - big mistake! It was absolutely horrendous (although the buns weren't too bad). I've since recently tried other fake meat dishes at different restaurants and have realised that they can actually taste great, but Green Gourmet just haven't mastered it - which is bad considering their menu is very fake meat based! The second time, I tried a mushroom dish and it was equally bad and unappealing. I'd try it out for a third time if I wasn't scared I'd be just wasting my money again.

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Everything else
  • Lea Lea

Hi Chewbacca
    If you are game to try again, the ''better than calamari' is amazing, as is the crispy skin not chicken. Yum cha is also a good bet, as you can get lots of little tasty morsels and smaller servings of things to try.

Henley
Henley

Interesting mix for all tastes

3 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2010

The food here was fairly good, the vegies were cooked perfectly, and the fake meat was somewhat convincing (for those that need it).

You can rack up an expensive meal though, as there's lots to choose from, and once you've piled your plate high it's weighed, and charged accordingly.

Still, I enjoyed my feast and would go back again. The attached shop allows you to buy fake meat products.

Pros: Variety, Flavour, Location
Cons: can get expensive
rap attack
rap attack

nice

4 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2010

food is great but they rely too much on mock meat. The place is very clean and the food is not too oily. Certain dishes are but i don't pick those. They have really nice staff and i like the smorgesboard.

Pros: Smorgesboard, Reasonable price, Variety
Cons: Mock meat is horrible, Should open later
HappyBeingMe
HappyBeingMe

Yum Cha at Green Gourmet

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2010

They offer really good Yum Cha dishes - in my opinion the best in Sydney. Staff are always friendly and approachable.

Ocicat
Ocicat

Great experience!

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2010

My 1st experience (based on great reviews/recommendations) has not let me down. I had self-serve (priced by weight) and got to try a little of everything. Most things were delicious, and the variety had something for everyone - from buns, fresh spring rolls, to various stir fried, stuffed tofu, stuffed mushrooms, fried entree items, sticky rice. Many of which are familiar to non-vegans (but this is the vegan version! And they'd be none the wiser!)
I ate till I was stuffed, and my favourite item (i went back for seconds) was making me feel queasy. Reasonably good value.
Nice, easy going atmosphere with friendly staff. Even my non-vegan friends liked it. :)
cant wait to go again!

Pros: Good variety
Cons: somethings were too sweet
ckimana
ckimana

Great food!

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2010

Great vegan chinese food at a fantastic price! They do get busy so sometimes you have to wait, but I've never waited more than 5 minutes. Love the choice of yum cha on wkends or menu or buffet for lunch/dinners. The menu is huge and it'll take you ages to choose something as it all sounds yummy!The restaurant hasn't got the best decor and is very open with lots of tables but the food makes up for it.

Pros: Great food, Value, Yum cha
Cons: Does get busy
nikkidynamo
nikkidynamo

I LOVE GREEN GOURMET!

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2009

When I lived in Sydney I used to go to Green Gourmet at least once a week. It's my favourite restaurant in Sydney and I can't wait to go back to for a visit just so I can eat there again. The prices are great, the service is fast and the food is delicious.

Over the three years that we were customers at Green Gourmet we took heaps of non-vegan and non-vegetarian friends there for the yum cha and every one of them loved the food - even though most of them were expecting not to.

I've never had the buffet, we prefer to order off the menu when we are there for dinner, but it always looks delicious!

Did I mention that I love the Green Gourmet?? :) You should definitely go there!

Pros: Everything!!!
rach
rach

Decent Yum Cha

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2009

This is asian (chinese) vegan. Ive been twice for yum cha on a Sunday and its always packed. The food is OK, a good selection but some are a bit hit and miss. It does the fake meat. Nice dumplings. I'll go back here. It was about $18per head for yum cha (we ate a lot though!!). It isn't fantastic but it is OK.

Pros: Yum cha is good, Nice dumplings
Cons: Packed and noisy
philjdomm
philjdomm

next door is green gourmet DESSERT

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2009

vegan dessert...like SFCity Cafe Grateful! organic dessert

• philjdomm philjdomm

came back: UPDATE

dim sum was mediocre and the buffet dinner was edible.
    its alright...

VeJo
VeJo

Decent veg*n yum cha

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

This place is pretty good -- lots of variety. Coming from Melbourne, we've not found anywhere as good as Natural and Healthy Vegetarian Restaurant in Doncaster yet... or Enlightened Cuisine in the city (Melbourne). But Green Gourmet comes close.

Pros: helpful staff, good value, good food
Cons: not as tasty as Melbourne equivalents
janivegan
janivegan

Great Food & Variety

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2007

This is my favourite vegan restaurant. It is such a delight to always be able to order straight off the menu without having to cross exam the staff about what dishes contain. The staff are unobtrusive but will help you if you seek their suggestions. The owner Colin is a wonderful person who has taught us so much about food & lifestyle.
Some fascinating dishes and a wonderful grocery next door. If you are on a budget the buffet is available every night except Mondays.
Lovely drinks as well.

khity
khity

Great Vegan Food

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2007

Green Gourmet must be one of the oldest vegan restaurants in Sydney as everyone knows of it! They have a buffet by the plate if you prefer to try it all, but the meals are better to buy (in terms of quality). Those fried entree's really load down your plate. The tofu ice cream is great, but small quantity. The meals are good, chinese style. The vibe is happy there.

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Gourmet: