REMOVED: Green Goddess

Serves meat, veg options available. A lacto-veg friendly restaurant with a few vegan choices. Many dishes are meat-free. The service is a little slow, but the menu is fairly inspired. It is tucked away in an alley, away from the touristy areas. Removed for poor veg options. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, International, Non-veg

First Review by flitterwochen

Avoid. Not Veg Friendly.

1 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

I have concluded that the name "Green Goddess" is the only factor qualifying this establishment as veg-friendly. Given that, I strongly urge the curators of Happy Cow to remove this establishment from its database. It is not qualified to be listed as veg-friendly.

Many Thanks,

LKS
LKS

In Brief- No

1 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

bad and ridiculously expensive- do not go here. i read the review from 2011 and hoped they had improved- sadly it is exactly the same: bad food, cramped and dingy atmosphere, overpriced.

Pros: friendly distracted staff
Cons: bad food, cramped and dingy, very overprice
veggiegirl66
veggiegirl66

Yummy

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

Had cuban sandwich, it was vegan and delicious! Vegan options clearly marked in menu

Pros: Good Food
Cons: Ccard Machine Was DOwn

Poundie
Poundie

Vegan dishes available

3 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

I found a couple of vegan dishes on the menu that were quite nice--perhaps some dishes were added since the last person reviewed this? It is not easy to find plasce to eat in NOLA that have any vegetarian dishes--so beggars can't be choosers. I did find this place among the best in the area. Service was not quick, but the al fresco dining was pleasant, and the Big Easy is not a place for people in a rush.

Pros: A couple of vegan options, What was there tasted good, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Not cheap
JohnKeith
JohnKeith

Pass This One By

1 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2011

Don't know how this even qualifies to be a veg restaurant. Most dishes have meat, and vegan alternatives are almost non existent. We found the staff to be neither vegetarian or knowledgeable. Expensive food, barely passable. We had the equivalent of a small pancake and 2 tiny collard green sandwiches. And the bill? THIRTY DOLLARS???!!! Save your money and your time. With a little more checking (on Happy Cow) we found many better alternatives. If you have a choice, you do NOT want to eat here.

Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: Small vegetarian selection, Almost all meat menu, Very cramped quarters
  • JohnKeith JohnKeith

Hi Flitterwochen:

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. We were only in NOLA one time, although we are going back this December. We spent our whole visit in and around the French Quarter, so we are only familiar with this area. Our favorite was O Vegasm, unfortunately, it has closed, but if you check the owner's facebook page, he may be able to direct you to where he is now. He is John Morales, great guy, and incredible cook. As well, O Vegasm still has their webpage. Other places we ate were Country Flame, and LOVED it. I did notice it didn't receive the same reviews from other customers, but we will definitely try it again. As well, 1 13 was great, typical pub fare, but vegan and delicious. Bennachin has great West African food, not much of a vegan selection, and a nice atmosphere. As well, we found vegan options just by reading the menus posted and checking with the staff. Definitely NOLA is not the easiest place to be vegan, but most of the food we found (outside of Green Goddess, which was pathetic) was very good. Hope this helps, and check out John Morales on Facebook

• flitterwochen flitterwochen

I would love to know where you found many other, better alternatives. We had a very difficult time finding vegan food in NOLA. In fact, I think we found only one restaurant with soy options, in the Marigny.

pixiepine
pixiepine

Lovely Dining Experience

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2011

We had a beautiful meal. I agree with other reviewers re: price for amount of food, but the dishes were very creative and delicious. Service was excellent, and the view outdoors is wonderful. A high point was the Saturn Calling dessert- just magnificent!

Pros: ambiance, quality ingredients, good service
Cons: pricy, small portions, small indoor area in poor weather
Kama
Kama

Tasty and interesting but overpriced

2 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2011

My husband and I found Green Goddess as a recommended option for vegetarians - we stayed near the French Quarter and finding vegetarian options was not that easy, especially since we do not eat eggs.

I agree that the service is quite slow, and the place is tiny - we definitely had to wash all our clothes afterwards - they smelled like meat, absolutely disgusting!

The meal itself we found very good - I like South Indian food and I found the lentil pancake great! The portions were small so we also ordered beet ravioli, some veggies and the dessert. All of the items were excellent and nicely presented. The problem was their size and price.... I would not probably come back because I do not like to spend so much money of a meal. But I am glad we had this experience. Hopefully the prices will go down with time and maybe the restaurant will start offering some free appetizers, for example :)
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 08, 2011

Pros: interesting options, well done, good presentation
Cons: price, bad smell, small quantities
Jamaica
Jamaica

disappointed!

2 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2011

There were very few options for vegetarians, and we had walked miles to get there. We were seated at the end of a line of tables in the alley which was ok but dark and when we asked if we could move to a vacant lighter spot, the wait person said "I am going to say 'no' . We hadn't eaten yet!
The food was really for meat eaters. We ordered a couple of over priced appetizers- spent too much and left sad. Unpleasant vibe.

Pros: name, seeming creativity of chef
Cons: waitstaff attitude, not much veg food, over hyped
gexfiles
gexfiles

Fois Gras served... no thanks

2 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2011

I think it would be hypocritical to go to a place for a vegan meal that serves fois gras. Sorry, just thought I would share that info.

aadams1217
aadams1217
  • non-vegetarian

Not much else in New Orleans

3 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2011

Like others have said, there is hardly any choice on the menu for vegans. They do know what "vegan" means, but that doesn't exactly mean they have much to accommodate vegans. The manager did say that he was looking into including more vegan items on the menu in the future, though.

I had spiced potatoes with veggies and the lentil pancake for dinner. The veggies were good with cajun spicing. The pancake was interesting.

Not sure if I'd go back. It is really expensive.

Pros: friendly
Cons: expensive, not much for vegans
sheepshrooms
sheepshrooms

not bad

3 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2011

The place is small and can get crowded, but there is outside seating and the inside is pleasant to look at. It's true, there are barely any vegan options on the menu. (Beware of animal ingredients posed nonchalantly in otherwise vegetable dishes.) However, when I told the waitress that I was vegan, she said, "No problem. We can make whatever you choose vegan. I can just write it on your order." I was pretty delighted about this. I ordered this lentil pancake thing, which came with a variety of exciting spices, some sort of vinaigrette, and a few crunchy vegetables scattered in. It was pretty alright, but nothing so amazing that I wanted another one. I probably won't eat there again, but if you are in dire need of some food in the French Quarter and spot The Green Goddess up the alley, it will satisfy your hunger just fine.

Pros: know what vegan is, decent lentil pancake
Cons: pricey, fried smell gets in your clothes, limited choices
jujutsuka
jujutsuka

1 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2011

The vegan options for lunch were a lentil pancake or a modification of their cuban sandwich. I chose the former -- bad idea. The spices were so disgusting I couldn't eat more than two bits. Despite my desire to politely finish and avoid complaining, it was hard to avoid since only one forkful was missing from the plate when they took it away. Vegans don't go here.

Cons: small, dirty
flitterwochen
flitterwochen

An option, in a town with few

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2010

This restaurant has a very interesting menu, which can change based on what produce is in season. They have many non-meat, lacto options. The service is slow (maybe they have to wrangle the cactus, in order to make nopales?). The chutneys and compotes are divine. Check out the menu at www.greengoddessnola.com.
They don't open until 11AM, so brunch/lunch option only, and serve dinner on Thur-Sun only. Closed Tues.

Pros: Veg-options, local ingredients, beautiful patio
Cons: slow service, small interior, pricey drinks

Dear Owner and Manager of REMOVED: Green Goddess: