Green Garden

Small and cozy Asian vegetarian restaurant serving Chinese cuisine including some mockmeats. Operated by a meditation group who are strict vegetarians. Reported to have become all vegan since summer 2009. Call for hours. There is a health food store next door. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Asian, Chinese, Macrobiotic
20, Rue Nationale (Arrondissement 13, Metro: Porte d'Ivry)
Paris, France 75013

Open noon-3pm, 7pm-10pm, closed Tues.

First Review by Miru
dhanu
dhanu

Less than Mediocre

2 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2014

My husband and I went to Green Garden last night on the firm recommendation of a French friend, as well as noting it on Happy Cow. We were looking forward to eating at a completely veg place, especially since the veg food in Paris has been pretty lousy at mixed (meat and veg) restaurants. It took us some 20 minutes to get the waiter to come to our table which was strange as we were the only ones there! When he turned up, I apologized for not speaking French and asked if he spoke English and said we needed some help in ordering. He was grumpy and just stared at us and said no. So much for pleasant service! We ordered seasonal stir-fried veggies and a plate of Singapore noodles and asked him if he thought it would be enough for 2 of us. Usually restaurants will let you know that its too less or too much. But this chap was determined to be unhelpful and essentially said, I bring, you decide. The seasonal stir fried was only Chinese Bok Choy and 2 tiny pieces of carrots, which we thought was a HUGE ripoff in a VEG restaurant and that too in spring in Paris when the market has so many veggies! The Singapore noodles were - well, the less said about it the better! If this is what a group of meditators come up with, we shudder to think how they would have behaved without the meditation! It was the most unpleasant experience eating out we've had in Paris!

Pros: seating area looked clean
Cons: lousy service, kitschy decor, glimpse of kitchen was scary!
number6
number6

OK place

4 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2014

This is a smallish and reasonably priced chinese-style vegetarian restaurant. The food is good and it seems most (if not all) dishes are vegan. Negatives: portions are rather small; the welcome is not at all unfriendly but is a little cold.

Pros: location on the edge of China town
Cons: small portions
FetchkaMafiosi
FetchkaMafiosi

To avoid

2 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2013

They serve frozen food. The portion are small and the taste is pretty bad. Prices are expensive.

Cons: frozen food, expensive
ericoloso
ericoloso

Excellent

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

I went there 5 times this summer and this is an excellent restaurant. There is a great choice of low priced meals. The food is tasty and good quality.
The staff is friendly.

Pros: Tasty, Cheap, Large choice
Balter
Balter

Good Food

3 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

Food was very good: tasty, fresh, not too spicy. Service was also very good, but I was the only customer on the restaurant, so you'd figure it would be so. There was some kind of repair going on with lots of hammering, that was a downgrade. Overall, I'd go back there.

Pros: Good Food, Lots Of Options, Not Too Expensive
Cons: The "animal" Dishes

Notre-Dame
Notre-Dame

Good but a bit disturbing

3 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2013

It was the first Asian vegetarian restaurant of this kind I tested a few years ago. It was good and very surprising. The most disturbing is the names of the dishes: the names of meat animals. And yet it is vegan. I returned a few weeks ago and I quite agree with the other comments on the lack of welcom. It is not pleasant! But it is always good and there is plenty of choice.

Pros: Low Prices, Vegan, Tasty food
Cons: Use frozen products, Not organic, Unfriendly staff
larryren
larryren

Not bad, but service should be improved

3 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

I share the same comment of the others posted here. During eating, I wasn't actually served badly, but it's just the Chinese waitress (China accent) who was very cold to me when I am obviously of her same race and asking if they still sell vegetarian barbecue sauce (not anymore). In comparison, I ate once in another Chinese restaurant nearby and I was friendly answered when I was looking for something. Besides, the soup with rice noodle was ok, but I know better. I didn't like the Vietnamese spring roll, though. However, I believe they cook much better the Chinese dishes. Maybe it was just a bad choice from mine to taste 2 of their unskilled dishes. On the other hand, the price was satisfactory.

Pros: Price, Chinese dishes?
Cons: Vietnamese dishes?
gracep
gracep

Pretty bad

2 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2012

This is the first review I've written on here, and I felt like I pretty much had to, because the quality of the food was surprisingly quite poor. I tried 4 dishes for 28 euros in total. The dishes were a sweet and sour soy protein dish that came with tomato, pineapple, and red capsicum; some kind of minced Thai-inspired dish that seemed to be modelled on tuna and green onion in it; a stir fried mixed noodle dish with soy protein bits; stir fried choy sum.

Overall, the quality was bad. This was even worse because I'm holidaying in France from Australia, where we have excellent vegan Asian food, and I was looking forward to having Chinese for the first time in 6 months. Unfortunately, the dishes really didn't deliver. Firstly, the minced, tuna- dish was so bad that after taking one bite, it had to go in the bin. It was completely dreadful, and the fake meat in it had such a processed flavour, which clashed awfully with the mish-mash of herbs mixed into it. Oh God, it was bad! The sweet and sour dish I ate all of, but it was really weird. The meat substitute in it had a strange, almost doughy texture in general with a meat-like centre to it. It was okay, though. The noodle dish had barely any flavour at all, and the "meaty" strips in it tasted really fake and the flavour of them didn't go with the rest of the dish. The stir-fried choy sum, a dish so simple that it's hard to believe a chef with even a little experience could mess it up, had the usual sauce on it--which I guess they overcooked, judging by the congealed globs of cornstarch-thickened liquid in the curves of the stem. I tried to get through it like I did with the sweet and sour and noodle dished, but it was just gross eating something with a slippery, jelly texture and the vegetable flavour. I ate probably half of it and then felt like I couldn't do any more.

Getting the food to begin with was troublesome, also. Not only is the restaurant in the middle of nowhere, when I got there, there was a Buddhist function on and they told me I couldn't eat there because it was reserved. Since they don't have a website, I couldn't have known this beforehand. I thought it was generous that they agreed to arrange takeaway orders for me nonetheless, but I felt less appreciative when I actually tasted the food.

I won't be going back to this restaurant again. They need to pick up their game. 7 euros for a dish is not to much to ask when the portions are quite small, but it is if the food tastes crappy.

Pros: Friendly staff with English skills
Cons: Food not good, Location very inconvenient, Portions somewhat small
Aurelia
Aurelia

Pretty OK mostly vegan Chinese

3 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2011

Way back when, another vegan Chinese restaurant, Tien Hiang, lived in this same spot. Today, they've got two locations on the other side of the river, but Green Garden isn't too different. The menu is full of familiar favorites--fried noodles, spring rolls, and lots of tofu and fake-meat dishes served either in a "marmite" (small covered clay pot) or in a standard dish. If you want dim sum, get there early; they stop serving it around 1 p.m. Sadly, no adult beverages are available, but this is the place to stock up on all your fake-meat needs, from faux shark fin to mock crab to big ham rolls. A few of the items had whey in them, so read the (english) labels carefully.

Pros: relatively affordable, filling, casual ambience
Cons: Staff aren't very warm, dim sum isn't always available, it's not the easiest place to get to
Brian78
Brian78

Green Garden

2 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2010

I recently visited Green Garden and was disappointed to find that it is now part of the Loving Hut chain. The service was okay and the food was alright but it was no where near as good as Tien Hiang.

estefinparis
estefinparis

Not bad

3 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2010

As stated in previous reviews this restaurant is not easy to find - we had decided to try it out and carried a map with us, otherwise I doubt we would have ever stumbled into it. I found the restaurant to be a bit sad, no decor, very plain... The staff were friendly and helpful, though, and the food was ok. They have a very extensive menu of Asian dishes, many including mock meats.

veggiegoth
veggiegoth

didn't enjoy

2 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2010

it took me a little bit to find this place. as far as the food it was ok at best. it just didn't have much taste to it. i was looking foward to it especially after taking awhile to find it but i was quite dissapointed.

PhilippeNicolitch
PhilippeNicolitch

Now fully Vegan

3 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2009

Just tried Green Garden for the first time tonight and the waitress told us that although the menu is not updated yet, all menu items are VEGAN. Yes!!!

veggirl
veggirl

very bad experience

2 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2008

It took us forever to get to Green Garden - very out of the way and we had to wait for it to open as they did not open by posted time. The male who served us was absolutely rude and the food when it finally came was very mediocre and extremely limited portion. Some have had the same experience and others seem to like this place. Would I ever return here - never! Would I recommend - never!

Cons: disorganized, food quality questionable, rude waitstaff
Olive
Olive

Are you lucky ?

3 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2008

The food is good but expensive compared to the quantities given. The place is lovely and there is a "store" inside the restaurant.

First time I went there, the waitress (the boss ?) was very sympathetic.
The second time, it was a man who was extremely unpleasant, since then and never went back to this place !

It's the "china town" of Paris : there are a lot of chinese restaurants in the neighbourhood !

Pros: tasty, nice place
Cons: terrible staff, small portions, expensive (for the quantities)
O-liv
O-liv

Great place!

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2007

For a very reasonable price (10-15 euros) you can have a full meal here. The food is tasty, the restaurant pleasant. There is also a small shopping section. I once ordered food for a wedding there, and the owner was very nice about, and gave me a reduction.
I would recommend this place - and specially the "tofu du chef"!

Pros: great food, cheap, nice place
Cons: a little far
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

2 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2007

This won't be much of a review seeing how I didn't actually eat here. The hours on the door said they opened at 6pm and as I had a dance show to see at 8pm, I arrived promptly at 6. They were closed. I waited until about 6:20 when someone finally showed up. I spoke with him in french and he told me that they open at 6:30 and that the chef wasn't here yet. He was quite impolite until I got him to understand that the sign on the door said 6pm. Then he said "oh, I didn't know" and left me standing there alone. I am a little confused about the language thing because he didn't seem to understand/speak french very well, I noticed he was speaking quite fluently to the other people with him (servers maybe?) in english so I asked him in english if he knew when the cook would be in. I think it angered him that I was speaking in english and he acted like he didn't understand me, when I asked again in french, he threw up his hands and said "there is no cook yet!". I left at that point.

I can understand from his point of view that this girl was showing up before the restaurant opened asking questions and him being annoyed. On the other hand, I was a potential customer (who tips well and eats a lot) and he was very rude, especially when they had posted the wrong hours on the door. I am confused about the language issue as well, my advice is to speak french even if he doesn't understand it as well.

The menu seemed ok and the prices not too bad, but I would go to Tien Hiang instead.

Cons: incorrect hours, rude waiter
Miru
Miru

Great little place

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2006

Nice selection, food was quite good. Did not have the same experience as prevoius poster - waiter was very polite and prompt w/dishes even though the place was filling up rapidly. Good value for the price as well.

Pros: Great food, Good selection, Good value

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Garden: