CLOSED: Green Earth Cafe...

An organic and sustainable cafe offering some macrobiotic dishes, changing daily grain bowl, pizza, sandwiches, soups, salads, and bakery items. Serves organic beer and wine. Has wi-fi. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Macrobiotic, American, Pizza, Bakery, Beer/Wine, Take-out
2124 Center St (Shattuck, downtown Berkeley)
Berkeley, California 94704
510-981-8404

Open Mon 8.30-16.00, Tue-Fri 8.30-20.30, closed Sat-Sun.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Sarah_
veganjess86
veganjess86

a new, needed, cafe

4 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2012

their menu is improving everyday. Lots of yummy things! I love their breakfast, though they need to work on their coffee.

CeeDee
CeeDee

Great location and great quality!

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2012

I really like Green Earth because there is so much variety in the food but the menu does not try to do too much! Personally, I am a big fan of the daily bowl because I always want to eat lots of greens and vegetables. I love that I can get a variety of sandwiches there and the desserts/pastries are so delicious! Last time I ate a scone; it had fresh cherries in it and melted in my mouth. There are almost always samples available for the muffins or cookies!

I have had a hard time finding kanten (a macrobiotic dessert) in the Bay Area, so I am delighted that they make it at Green Earth!

Macrobiotic inspired, very local, organic and clean food! Please check it out!!! Great location and great quality.

Pros: all vegan, all organic, fresh
Cons: parking can be difficult
PAL
PAL

Wish I could have liked it more

2 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2012

My husband and I went to Green Earth for the first time with a Meetup group. Frankly, the tired and scanty appearance of the "demo" plates that display many of the entrees, actually put us off trying them, especially the pizza which I had planned to order. While some of the Meetup group seemed to really enjoy what they ordered, we were not very impressed with our bowls of noodle soup. The broth had hardly any flavor. My husband chose soba with his, and it was a bit overcooked, so falling apart. My udon held up better. However, the other ingredients were fairly uninspired. There were a few shreds of something that might have been tofu skin, and a little seaweed; but beside noodles, it was mostly cauliflower and broccoli. Broccoli was fine, but cauliflower is a bland veggie anyway, and did nothing to enhance the bland broth. The portions were just enough to eat at the one sitting, no leftovers. Dishes that cost $9 (or at most, $10) at other restaurants are usually generous enough that we bring some home. Although I like sweets, after looking at all the desserts in the case, I felt that some of them looked rather small for the price, and none of them looked appealing enough to tempt us to try any of them at the posted prices. However, it's obviously an endeavor with a sincere commitment to health and sustainability, and the staff were friendly. I do hope that, as a new restaurant, they will soon be able to adjust their recipes and menu to make it appealing enough to draw us back.

Pros: vegan, organic
Cons: smallish portions, a little pricey, friendly
SunnyOutdoors
SunnyOutdoors

all organic vegan place to eat, has gluten free

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2012

has many gluten free pastries to choose from

When I was there on a weekday, I saw 12 types of vegan pastries.

Pros: clean, delicious, friendly
experimental_setup
experimental_setup

Sushi plate disappointing

2 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

Only had one dish, the sushi plate, and it was not worth the $9 I paid for it. It consisted of some salad with a pretty good dressing and three sushi rolls.
It looked like the rolls had been pre-made much earlier and stored in the fridge for a long time, as they were very cold and didn't look that fresh. They were also quite bland. And I didn't get wasabi, maybe you need to ask for it.

Cons: Bland, sushi
Sarah_
Sarah_

Terrific veg lunch in Berkeley

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2012

A great addition to the downtown Berkeley restaurants. The atmosphere is warm and informal: it's a small cafe, nicely decorated. The people are very friendly and helpful, and the food is delicious. The dishes are not huge, but they're very filling.

We split the special grain/greens/vegetable/bean bowl of the day: a delicious bean and carrot stew over a beautifully melting millet-cauliflower mash (jasmine rice was another option), blanched collards, baked kabocha chunks, and a little pickle. I'd get it every time, though the tempeh reuben sandwich (which we had on a nice, non-squashy GF bread) was also rich and tasty. Less sweet and more mustard-y than some tempeh reubens and with no cheese. Although you can get daiya cheese on the pizza of the day (with either a whole wheat or GF crust). Today's pizza also had caramelized onions, olives, arugula, etc and looked good.

We shared a couple of the desserts -- our hands-down favorite was a very fudgy chocolate cake (grain-sweetened, so not overly sweet, very rich and chocolate-y).

(In the future, I hope they'll have pictures of the dishes or more detailed menu descriptions instead of samples in a display case. Except for the desserts, which look pretty.) They also had a number of pre-made sandwiches for quick take-out. Their prices are quite reasonable too.

The people at the register told us they're part of the same family of restaurants, though with different people, as Manzanita and Potala Organic Cafe, so no wonder the daily bowl was great. Some of the dishes are macrobiotic; all are vegan, local, organic, sustainable. Right now the restaurant is open 11:30 to 2:30 only, but eventually they plan to do dinners as well. We'll be back here often!

Pros: excellent food, kind people, convenient

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Green Earth Cafe and Bakery: