Green Break Vegan Restaurant

Little cafe with some counter seating offering vegan take away, opened Dec 2013 by the owners of former Green Break Vegan Shop in Madrid. Offers all vegan food such as Spanish omelet, burritos, burgers, waffles, smoothies, raw food, and cakes. Beverages include organic coffee, wine and beer. Free Wi-Fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Spanish

joanabilbo21
  • non-vegetarian

Fantástico

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2016

Sitio acogedor, tiene comedor en la planta baja, servicio perfecto. La chica que lo lleva es muy amable, nos asesoró muy bien. La comida de 10, pedimos dos menús 1, con burritos (son muy grandes), crudiespaguetis y hummus, todo riquísimo. Para beber cerveza tostada ecológica. Nos gustó tanto que repetimos al día siguiente, esta vez para llevar, y muy bien organizado, bastante rápido. Esta vez pedimos hamburguesa y patatas y buenísimo también.

Pros: Platos principales muy grandes y contundentes.
Riarob
Riarob

Sitio estupendo, personal más que agradable

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2016

Estuvimos mi pareja y yo y nos encantó el sitio. La dueña fue super agradable con nosotros. La comida muy rica y muy abundante. Muy recomendable

Pros: La cantidad y calidad de la comida
Cons: difícil aparcar
LilianaNicolau
LilianaNicolau

Cool Place!

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2016

I had lunch there and enjoy the place to rest a little bit of my trip!
Not the most amazing food ever but you can have a nice meal!

Lex-Kramer
Lex-Kramer

Great vegan restaurant in old town of San Sebastian

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2015

I spent 2 days in San Sebastian and had almost all dinners at Green Break.
Everything was great and delicious, I nearly tried all options. My favourite meal was the Burrito, really awesome! The smoothies are also great.
The restaurant is cozy and its localized in the nice old town of San Sebastian. The owner Eva is also a really friendly and interesting person.
Prices are fair, the portions are huge. Eva has also a big sortiment of beers, too.
Best vegan restaurant!

NicoleAnderson
NicoleAnderson

Oasis in a sea of jamon!

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2015

After 3 nights surrounded by jamon and cheese in Basque region, I let out a squeal of delight when we stumbled across this fabulous vegan restaurant! Amazing healthy options and a really friendly team topped off our brilliant and tasty meal. I had the huge burrito, which was filled with all sorts of delicious surprises (including some gorgeous marinated mushrooms) and my husband had an incredible salad complete with raw courgette spaghetti. We've stopped there twice now and can certify the cafe con leche de soja (soya latte) is fantastic too! If you're after some healthy & delicious food - this is the place to go!

Gllanos
Gllanos

Lovely, friendly, yummy

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2015

In a world ruled by chorizo, cheese and other pintxos lies a beacon of veggie-fuelled hope. With friendly staff and picture labeled menu, finding some delicious vegan food is a no-brainer. Large yummy portions are well worth the price. Highly recommend!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Convenient placement
Cons: Slightly pricy
chrdold
chrdold

expensive, tasty, big portions, poor atmosphere

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2015

I took a menu for 22 Euro including a drink, a smoothie, a burrito and humus. The taste, especially the burrito, was great. The portions were far too big for one meal so I took a lot with me and had dinner as well.
The drink was awful, far too sweet. The green smoothie looked awful as well but tasted ok. The chocolate "tiramisu" was ok but nothing like the taste of a tiramisu.
My body did not react very well on the food. Can´t track it down but could be that the quality is not the highest. Actually at that prices organic food would be appropriate.
The interior is really not welcoming at all. When I was there it was quite loud hardrock playiing, which was also not very cozy, but I liked it. Everything is served in one-way dishes, the desert in some plastic mug. All not very lovely, but as there is few space and it´s a take away maybe one should not expect more.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 17, 2015

Pros: all vegan, taste, big portions
Cons: one way dishes, expensive, atmosphere
Veqing
Veqing

lovely place

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2015

First off the owner is very very welcoming. The menu on the wall showed very clearly the choices of food despite being in Spanish :) the food was made in a short time and it was delicious!!! eskerrik asko!!

Pros: take out, cheap, delicious
LuciLuz
LuciLuz

Really nice organic vegan takeaway!!

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2015

Amazing takeaway with vegan and organic food.
Spelt burger is simply wonderful.All home made.
Also I recommend the Tiramisu and Natural coconut cocktail !!

You order the food to takeaway or enjoy it in a room they have on the ground floor.

I am very happy That there are such fantastic places.
The only bad thing is always is full!!
The staff very friendly, nice and helpful.

Totally recommended if you visit San Sebastian.

Pros: Nice organic-vegan food, Friendly staff, Central location
Cons: Full of people
KarlCornish
KarlCornish

heaven

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2015

I was in desperate need of a place in Europe that catered for the vegetarian. These guys served up a perfect feast!

BodieC
BodieC

really gooood

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2015

Despite not so favorable reviews on here, I want to iterate that I had a really great dinner!

And it was really quick. And tasted really good. And even better -- All Vegan!

And I also have to mention the lady who was running it was just lively and I was able to have a great conversation with her in Spanish... Even giving me recommendations of places in Madrid to also try. Though, she also spoke great English and was trying to make everyone in establishment happy... Even though there was one tourist that couldn't understand that there was a tv to watch football on there.

I ate in, as there are tables there (bar tables, and a 4 seater upstairs and another area for seating downstairs), and was glad that it wasn't just a take away place as others had suggested.

I had a meal, burrito and side spaghetti of zucchini, with a juice. 12 Euro or so... Tasted great! I tried their nachos too and the last time I had guac that good was when a local taught me to make it in Mexico.

I'll be back.

Duo
Duo

From wrong to wrongest

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2015

Totally not recommendable to anyone. The restaurant was not very good at the beginning, and the locals expected it to improve, but it has gone from wrong to wrongest. Long waits for low quality food and really poor attendance has made us give them three oportunities and not one more.

Updated from previous review on Thursday June 04, 2015

Cons: radio music, long waiting, price
joe-ac
joe-ac

Incrível

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2015

Um dos melhores cardápios que encontrei na Europa, com porções muito bem servidas e preço justo.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Nice vibe
bob_summers
bob_summers

Great little take away

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2015

100% Vegan fast food joint with an area to eat in. They also deliver in San Sebastian.

The eating area isn't great (it isn't a restaurant with waiters) but the best plan is get the food to go and eat on La Concha beach or the gardens at Palacio de Miramar if the weather's good.

Great staff, good value, no real negatives at all. One of just a few oases in a city which is a bit of a disaster for vegans.

Pros: Great vegan fast food, Good value, All home made, down to the buns
orna
orna

a very good vegan restaurant

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2015

We had lunch there and were very happy with the food. We had humus, buritos, salad, french fries and sushi. Everything tasted great! It is not a big place, there is one table upstares and a few more downstares. The atmosphere is very pleasant and the staff friendly and efficiant

Pros: food, location, staff
Necia11
Necia11

Delicious 'fast food'

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2015

This place is a must try! And start with dessert! The lemon pie was absolutely amazing and one of the best desserts we have had since being vegan! The cream is out of this world and the lemon is perfectly tangy. We had the hot dog and burrito for main which were both delicious. The burrito had loads of vegetables and beans and rice and no too much protein which was the perfect balance. I wouldn't recommend the fries as they were super oily and undercooked but everything else was perfect. We will be back!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff , English speaking
Imme
Imme

Very nice

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2015

Delicious food and delicious smoothies with superfoods. The owner of the shop who helped us is also very nice. The food here is defenitely made with love.

Pros: good food, nice staff
killyourtelevision
killyourtelevision

Best Place in Town - go there!

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2014

We've been there twice. Real great food, whatever you choose.
And its not expensive, main&side dish + drink (try the cider!) for just 9.95€. Very friendly, good english spoken.
Best Place! Try the Smoothies!

Pros: Great food, many organic options, Very cosy place, english spoken, Friendly staff, fresh food, inexpensive
Cons: too far from my home ;), really: nothing at all
J and J
J and J

super friendly owner - she made our day!

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2014

We were on a day trip from St. Jean de Luz to San Sebastian this January and we had this place in mind for dinner. We arrived right in the middle of the pause between lunch and dinner (which my fellow Americans, you know is actually right at American dinner time). We were studying the menu and examining the train schedule and thinking we probably didn't have time to catch the later hours, when suddenly the owner stepped outside of the restaurant, swept us inside, cooked us a 5 course meal (salad, gazpacho, appetizer, main course, dessert), told us about vegan restaurants in Spain, and genuinely treated us like visiting family during our private meal in her restaurant. This woman provided the most incredible service ever, and her vegan tiramisu was totally different but rivaled Carmen Ragosta's in Paris....... Good luck with your new restaurant! We will definitely be back!

Pros: rich, creamy, vegan tiramisu, incredibly kind & welcoming owner, best service ever
Guest Wines
Guest Wines

Great Food!

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

Brilliant to see an alternative to the more tradition food out there, giving more choice as well as healthy options!

Pros: Quick Service, Friendly Staff, City location
Mark2
Mark2

Brilliant Green break!

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2014

Well done for being there and feeding us today. Friendly people. Fab food and great value. I enjoyed my meal very much.

Pros: Vegan, Good price, Friendly
AnnFromIllinois
AnnFromIllinois

Perfect semi-fast food

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2014

We really enjoyed the food here. Had the falafel burrito and the regular burrito along with some hummus, smoothies and desserts. All excellent, and the staff was great. It's the kind of place where you order at the counter and then they bring out the food. Big portions and great tasting. Would definitely recommend for a stop. But keep in mind it is a great fast food place with a comfortable atmosphere, but it's not a fine-dining restaurant with a long leisurely meal. The do have organic beers and juices too.

Pros: Heart of the city, Big portions, Delicious!
Olympian Angel
Olympian Angel

Fabulous!

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

As four British Vegans staying in South West France it didn't take much persuading to pop over the border to Spain for a rare Cruelty Free Restaurant in this part of the World.
Unprepossessing on the outside it was anything but on the inside. Jolly rather cramped upstairs, but plenty of space downstairs which is good as the food more than deserves to sit in and savour rather than just takeaway. The atmosphere is great, including the music, and the young woman taking orders and serving spoke decent English and was very helpful.
Firstly she said yes to bringing in our large dog, and then proceeded to bring him something to drink and eat on the house! We were waiting with a few others when they opened at 1pm so there was a bit of a rush and a slight delay for which she was very apologetic.
When the food came it was absolutely fabulous, and at under 10€ for main course, side and a drink was excellent value. Hotdog and Burrito were all fabulous as were the accompanying salad, hummus and chips. If anything there was slightly too much especially since it was accompanied by thick creamy (probably highly calorific!) and delicious sauces. We struggled bravely to finish it all up and were actually too full for the Cheesecake and Lemon Pie which sounded even more delicious. We will definitely return again to sample those and would recommend anybody to make a visit even if a substantial detour is required.

Pros: Great Atmopshere and Service, Large delicious portions, Awesome value for money
Cons: Really nothing
Beetroot
Beetroot

delicious freshly prepared food

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

thank you guys for this little island of hope amongst all the meat serving places!
the vegan burrito is yummy, the coffee with soy milk is also a good one! i did not have the time to try all the other nice looking things... Very friendly stuff, nice and peaceful atmosphere. Love that place!

Pros: freshly prepared, friendly people, very good location
mik
mik

We'll see what the future holds...

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2014

After a long trip by train from Paris, I was not only exhausted and starving, but also determined to give this place a shot. At least from the outside, the menu, almost exclusively in English, didn´t look as genuine as what previous reviewers have mentioned (and even pictured), with some pintxos, Spanish omelette, etc. It was more like what you would expect a franchise to serve.
For whatever reason, Green Break don't state their opening hours on their website, so to arrive one hour too early was a disappointment to say the least. I stuck around and tried to keep myself busy, however, only to return maybe 10 min before 8:30, when they were to open. During that short time, two young men with long hair showed up (forgive the somewhat judgemental comment, I´m a metalhead at heart too), both ringing the bell and being allowed entrance in no time. Apparently they work there, but the first fellow had no trouble finishing his smoke right before entering the restaurant and putting it out next to the door... which wasn't too fresh in my book.
Given that I had waited for a long time, that I was in a hurry and that I saw how calls were promptly answered, I resolved to ring too... did so for two minutes, then ran out of patience and left, at 8:32. Sorry but, in such circumstances, that was all I could take. I might end up there at some point in the future, but I doubt I will be willing to go out of my way for it.

Dbluth
Dbluth

Best meal in San Sebastián

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

I was so happy with my experience at this fantastic find. The food was terrific, the service was some of the best I received my entire trip. The vibe of the cafe was top notch. If you are looking for something different and interesting and want a healthy meal, this is the place to visit. The owner who works behind the counter is one of the friendliest people I met in Spain. This healthy cafe ranks among the best I have come across and I will definitely be returning the next time I visit this incredible city. This is a cafe not to be missed. Enjoy!!

Pros: Great service , Great food , Great vibe
Cons: Could be opened longer
PaulMingard
PaulMingard

Birthday meal in Green Break

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2014

We had a really tasty and well prepared and presented meal. Four courses and soft drink for €16. Our second course a spaghetti marrow was inspired, fresh and dressed to refresh the palate after the first course of homemade hummus. The lasagne main course was such a revelation, an invention of the chef Eva. It combined soya, spinach, onion, carrot and tomato sauce, exquisite. The tiramisu was delicious. I tried the strawberry and Christina the chocolate. Both delicious, but we couldn't agree which was best. A lovely atmosphere as the place filled up with local customers. The food matches the owners passion for ethical and inventive vegan cuisine.

Pros: Imaginative menu, Friendly atmosphere, Artistic presentation
Cons: Closed Mondays
ainhoa.ferlas
ainhoa.ferlas
  • non-vegetarian

A really nice restaurant!!

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

It’s a new and cosy restaurant well located in the old town of San Sebastian, near the town hall and La Concha beach!! The prizes are cheap and there are different types of food, desserts and drinks (included organic cider). If you prefer, you can always take away your food.

I tried a “txistorra” pintxo and had a burger menu, which were full of flavour. Even if I was already full, I tried homemade cheesecake and tiramisu and they were yummy, especially tiramisu!! I have to say that I’m not vegan or vegetarian, but I loved everything. Moreover, the staff was friendly and welcoming. Definitely, it was a pleasant dinner at the restaurant. I have to come back to try other new recipes.

They’ve got also free wi-fi.

I highly recommend going!!

Pros: Cheap, Delicious food, Well located restaurant
Guest
Guest

cheap and cheerful

Posted on 02 / 09 / 2014

Pretty average. The interior shocking! It looks like they did it in 1 hour. It looks dirty and unappetizing. The service, well...one girl trying to serve 30 people, pretty poor. I waited 30 min for a glass of water. In the end I had to get it myself. Finally, the food. The food was boring and dry. I don't understand why it's so difficult to get imaginative and teasty vegan food in Spain. The hummus was watery and bland, the soup was just awful. It lacked seasoning and the predominant flavour was sweet, just weird. The falafel was dry. It didn't come with and dip or sauce but with some equally dry salad. I really don't understand it. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to lift these dishes, just some common sense.One last thing, no written menus so the poor girl had to explain to every table what different option there were and it was confusing. As a result a lot of time was wasted and people were left unattended. Overall, the whole experience leaves a lot to be desired. The only consolation is that it's still work in progress, I hope. 4 out of 10
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 09, 2014

Pros: cheap
Cons: dry, boring, bland food, service, interior
Leire
Leire

Best meal I've had in a long time

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2014

I was starving and wanted to have a meal somewhere I didn't have to ask about every single ingredient, I had the burrito menu and I have to say it was the best meal I've had in a restaurant in a long long time. I recommend it to everyone.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Super nice staff
Cons: Little space
mwakerman
mwakerman

Twice in one day.

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

Was only in San Sebastian for a day and couldn't resist going for both lunch and dinner. The food is delicious, healthy and made with love. The desserts were especially good and everything was very reasonably priced. Highly recommend checking it out if you are vegan or want a healthy respite from the pintos.

krusty
krusty

A essayer à tout prix!!!

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2014

Enfin des pintxos vegan en plein coeur du vieux San Sebastian! Nous avons pris le menu entrée, 2 plats, dessert et boisson (16€ seulement!). Super cuisine, recettes très variées 100% végétales. Hâte d'y retourner pour goûter le burger qui a l'air fameux. Endroit très sympa et équipe très accueillante.
Si seulement nous avions la même chose de l'autre côté de la frontière…!

Pros: Tout
Cons: Rien
mininanina
mininanina

GREAT PLACE!!

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

The best place for vegans (and not vegans) in Donostia.
There you can find a lot of things like hamburgers, spanish omelet, cakes, juices... and even raw food. Very good service, great atmosphere and friendly staff. Totally recomended.

Pros: area, food, price
Cons: sometimes busy
jonga
jonga

The best in San Sebastian

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

Really nice vegan restaurant very well located in the old part of San Sebastian. It has everything you want: "fast food" like hambuguers, burritos, hot-dogs... as well as menu with a good variety of dishes (salty, sweet, raw...). Do not leave without trying the tiramisu! You can eat there or take away to eat that wonderful meal in that wonderful city. The price is quite cheap considering the big rations. And Eva, the owner, is lovely! MUST VISIT

Pros: Vegan, Variety, Taste
Cons: Sometimes you have to wait

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Break Vegan Restaurant: