Green Break Vegan Take Away

Small take away shop, opened Dec 2013 by the owners of now defunct Green Break Vegan Shop in Madrid. Offers all vegan food such as Spanish omelet, burritos, burgers, waffles, smoothies, raw food, and cakes. Beverages include organic coffee, wine and beer. Free wi-fi. Open hours vary, so call ahead. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Spanish, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by jonga
AnnFromIllinois
AnnFromIllinois

Perfect semi-fast food

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2014

We really enjoyed the food here. Had the falafel burrito and the regular burrito along with some hummus, smoothies and desserts. All excellent, and the staff was great. It's the kind of place where you order at the counter and then they bring out the food. Big portions and great tasting. Would definitely recommend for a stop. But keep in mind it is a great fast food place with a comfortable atmosphere, but it's not a fine-dining restaurant with a long leisurely meal. The do have organic beers and juices too.

Pros: Heart of the city, Big portions, Delicious!
Olympian Angel
Olympian Angel

Fabulous!

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

As four British Vegans staying in South West France it didn't take much persuading to pop over the border to Spain for a rare Cruelty Free Restaurant in this part of the World.
Unprepossessing on the outside it was anything but on the inside. Jolly rather cramped upstairs, but plenty of space downstairs which is good as the food more than deserves to sit in and savour rather than just takeaway. The atmosphere is great, including the music, and the young woman taking orders and serving spoke decent English and was very helpful.
Firstly she said yes to bringing in our large dog, and then proceeded to bring him something to drink and eat on the house! We were waiting with a few others when they opened at 1pm so there was a bit of a rush and a slight delay for which she was very apologetic.
When the food came it was absolutely fabulous, and at under 10€ for main course, side and a drink was excellent value. Hotdog and Burrito were all fabulous as were the accompanying salad, hummus and chips. If anything there was slightly too much especially since it was accompanied by thick creamy (probably highly calorific!) and delicious sauces. We struggled bravely to finish it all up and were actually too full for the Cheesecake and Lemon Pie which sounded even more delicious. We will definitely return again to sample those and would recommend anybody to make a visit even if a substantial detour is required.

Pros: Great Atmopshere and Service, Large delicious portions, Awesome value for money
Cons: Really nothing
Beetroot
Beetroot

delicious freshly prepared food

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

thank you guys for this little island of hope amongst all the meat serving places!
the vegan burrito is yummy, the coffee with soy milk is also a good one! i did not have the time to try all the other nice looking things... Very friendly stuff, nice and peaceful atmosphere. Love that place!

Pros: freshly prepared, friendly people, very good location
mik
mik

We'll see what the future holds...

2 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2014

After a long trip by train from Paris, I was not only exhausted and starving, but also determined to give this place a shot. At least from the outside, the menu, almost exclusively in English, didn´t look as genuine as what previous reviewers have mentioned (and even pictured), with some pintxos, Spanish omelette, etc. It was more like what you would expect a franchise to serve.
For whatever reason, Green Break don't state their opening hours on their website, so to arrive one hour too early was a disappointment to say the least. I stuck around and tried to keep myself busy, however, only to return maybe 10 min before 8:30, when they were to open. During that short time, two young men with long hair showed up (forgive the somewhat judgemental comment, I´m a metalhead at heart too), both ringing the bell and being allowed entrance in no time. Apparently they work there, but the first fellow had no trouble finishing his smoke right before entering the restaurant and putting it out next to the door... which wasn't too fresh in my book.
Given that I had waited for a long time, that I was in a hurry and that I saw how calls were promptly answered, I resolved to ring too... did so for two minutes, then ran out of patience and left, at 8:32. Sorry but, in such circumstances, that was all I could take. I might end up there at some point in the future, but I doubt I will be willing to go out of my way for it.

Dbluth
Dbluth

Best meal in San Sebastián

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

I was so happy with my experience at this fantastic find. The food was terrific, the service was some of the best I received my entire trip. The vibe of the cafe was top notch. If you are looking for something different and interesting and want a healthy meal, this is the place to visit. The owner who works behind the counter is one of the friendliest people I met in Spain. This healthy cafe ranks among the best I have come across and I will definitely be returning the next time I visit this incredible city. This is a cafe not to be missed. Enjoy!!

Pros: Great service , Great food , Great vibe
Cons: Could be opened longer

PaulMingard
PaulMingard

Birthday meal in Green Break

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2014

We had a really tasty and well prepared and presented meal. Four courses and soft drink for €16. Our second course a spaghetti marrow was inspired, fresh and dressed to refresh the palate after the first course of homemade hummus. The lasagne main course was such a revelation, an invention of the chef Eva. It combined soya, spinach, onion, carrot and tomato sauce, exquisite. The tiramisu was delicious. I tried the strawberry and Christina the chocolate. Both delicious, but we couldn't agree which was best. A lovely atmosphere as the place filled up with local customers. The food matches the owners passion for ethical and inventive vegan cuisine.

Pros: Imaginative menu, Friendly atmosphere, Artistic presentation
Cons: Closed Mondays
ainhoa.ferlas
ainhoa.ferlas

• non-vegetarian

A really nice restaurant!!

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

It’s a new and cosy restaurant well located in the old town of San Sebastian, near the town hall and La Concha beach!! The prizes are cheap and there are different types of food, desserts and drinks (included organic cider). If you prefer, you can always take away your food.

I tried a “txistorra” pintxo and had a burger menu, which were full of flavour. Even if I was already full, I tried homemade cheesecake and tiramisu and they were yummy, especially tiramisu!! I have to say that I’m not vegan or vegetarian, but I loved everything. Moreover, the staff was friendly and welcoming. Definitely, it was a pleasant dinner at the restaurant. I have to come back to try other new recipes.

They’ve got also free wi-fi.

I highly recommend going!!

Pros: Cheap, Delicious food, Well located restaurant
lolaveg
lolaveg

cheap and cheerful

2 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2014

Pretty average. The interior shocking! It looks like they did it in 1 hour. It looks dirty and unappetizing. The service, well...one girl trying to serve 30 people, pretty poor. I waited 30 min for a glass of water. In the end I had to get it myself. Finally, the food. The food was boring and dry. I don't understand why it's so difficult to get imaginative and teasty vegan food in Spain. The hummus was watery and bland, the soup was just awful. It lacked seasoning and the predominant flavour was sweet, just weird. The falafel was dry. It didn't come with and dip or sauce but with some equally dry salad. I really don't understand it. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to lift these dishes, just some common sense.One last thing, no written menus so the poor girl had to explain to every table what different option there were and it was confusing. As a result a lot of time was wasted and people were left unattended. Overall, the whole experience leaves a lot to be desired. The only consolation is that it's still work in progress, I hope. 4 out of 10
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 09, 2014

Pros: cheap
Cons: dry, boring, bland food, service, interior
Leire
Leire

Best meal I've had in a long time

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2014

I was starving and wanted to have a meal somewhere I didn't have to ask about every single ingredient, I had the burrito menu and I have to say it was the best meal I've had in a restaurant in a long long time. I recommend it to everyone.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Super nice staff
Cons: Little space
mwakerman
mwakerman

Twice in one day.

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

Was only in San Sebastian for a day and couldn't resist going for both lunch and dinner. The food is delicious, healthy and made with love. The desserts were especially good and everything was very reasonably priced. Highly recommend checking it out if you are vegan or want a healthy respite from the pintos.

Duo
Duo

Nice take away

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

Big hamburguers, good taste, nice atmosphere. Home delivery still not available but theres no problem to have ypur meal in the place.

Pros: taste, food quantity, atmosphere
Cons: music, not delivery
krusty
krusty

A essayer à tout prix!!!

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2014

Enfin des pintxos vegan en plein coeur du vieux San Sebastian! Nous avons pris le menu entrée, 2 plats, dessert et boisson (16€ seulement!). Super cuisine, recettes très variées 100% végétales. Hâte d'y retourner pour goûter le burger qui a l'air fameux. Endroit très sympa et équipe très accueillante.
Si seulement nous avions la même chose de l'autre côté de la frontière…!

Pros: Tout
Cons: Rien
mininanina
mininanina

GREAT PLACE!!

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

The best place for vegans (and not vegans) in Donostia.
There you can find a lot of things like hamburgers, spanish omelet, cakes, juices... and even raw food. Very good service, great atmosphere and friendly staff. Totally recomended.

Pros: area, food, price
Cons: sometimes busy
jonga
jonga

The best in San Sebastian

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

Really nice vegan restaurant very well located in the old part of San Sebastian. It has everything you want: "fast food" like hambuguers, burritos, hot-dogs... as well as menu with a good variety of dishes (salty, sweet, raw...). Do not leave without trying the tiramisu! You can eat there or take away to eat that wonderful meal in that wonderful city. The price is quite cheap considering the big rations. And Eva, the owner, is lovely! MUST VISIT

Pros: Vegan, Variety, Taste
Cons: Sometimes you have to wait

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Break Vegan Take Away: