Serves meat, veg options available. Small breakfast and lunch place. Veggie sausage contains cheese, but tempeh strips can be substituted. Eggs and dairy in the dishes can be replaced with tofu or tempeh upon request. In-house coffee orders are bottomless. Very accommodating to vegans & people with food allergies. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Take-out, Non-veg

HappyGardener123
HappyGardener123

love!!!

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

I love Green Bean for breakfast! With a special request, they take care when preparing my gf items and I've never been sick. There are so many vegan options on the menu and my favorite is the "Tempeh Arizona" which is marinated tempeh bacon, a corn based pancake, and a side of veggies. They also have delicious raspberry jam and vegan butter for the pancake. The coffee is self serve and soy milk is available. It's best to go super early on a weekend or better yet, on a weekday morning to avoid the crowds.

conniex721
conniex721

Great Spot!

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2011

I came here for lunch with my friend during the week and while it was busy, we were able to get a seat right away. I love the vibe of this restaurant. They've tied the "hip earthiness" into everything, from the community bulletin board to the mason jar cups to the wooden architecture. Our food was great and filling. I loved the real maple syrup served on the side. My only complaint would be it's not clear what menu items aren't vegan. For example, non-vegan scones are served with vegan dishes and the veggie sausage isn't vegan. However, a few questions would probably clear this up. Also, our waitress was sweet and very efficient!

Pros: Good food, Good service, Good Vibe
Cons: Not clear about vegan food
Sarah P
Sarah P

love it

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

I love all of the vegan options at the Green Bean, and the staff are always knowledgeable and helpful about vegan menu items. The Green bean works to offer locally-grown food, and the food therefore tastes very fresh. I love the tempeh, with either the corn pancakes (that sometimes have a special option such as peaches cooked inside), the greens, beans & rice, and the VBLAT that was written about in another review. With everything I order, I always get a side of the almond gravy- even as a dipping sauce for the VBLAT!

There are always vegan baked goods for sale- though i've never tried them they come highly recommended. The coffee is good, and tea selections are great.

Expect a wait on weekends, but the meal is always worth it if you can afford the extra time. The Green bean is often the hip place to be for breakfast, brunch or lunch in the little town of Northampton, so it's also fun to be there as part of the town scene.

Pros: great food, healthy and tasty, friendly, knowledgeable staff
Cons: serves meat, sometimes long wait, occasional shift in quality

Kenneth Robinson
Kenneth Robinson

Most Veg/Vegan Breakfast Option in NoHo

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2010

Quirky, imaginative breakfast menu. Lots of fresh greens available for breakfast--an unusual and welcome change of pace. Coffee is pretty mediocre. I'm not fond of their grilled tofu--lots of big slabs of barely grilled tofu. Lots of vegan choices. Lunch menu is less imaginative but good food nevertheless.

Local foods are emphasized--nice. Vegan baked goods to go are sometimes available. Staff is friendly. Likely to be crowded during prime dining times. Expect to a wait for a table or have a back up dining plan if you're pressed for time.

Itchyfish
Itchyfish

Consistently Good Food

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2008

I just go back from another lunch at the Green Bean and sampled their Beans, Rice and Greens - a simple and boring dish on first glance. But I was in for a surprise - it was terrific! The greens are local, organic and very, very fresh, the brown rice was just perfect and it's hard to go wrong with black beans! I chose the tamari sesame sauce, which was perfect sprinkled on the greens....Yum! Plus, the staff are so very helpful and friendly but in a nice, low-key kind of way. Check it out when you're in Noho!

Pros: healthy, fresh food, sensible portion size, awesome staff
Cons: not all veg
gratefulove2000
gratefulove2000

AWESOME TEMPEH

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2008

This place will do anything vegan, they have home made tempeh which is incredible served with avocado and veganaise on their VBLAT. Some desserts are vegan, breads are local or store made but great. Serve Kale and other greens for more vegan options. Highly recommend, but not for RAW or JUICING...

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Bean: