The Green Bean Cafe

Casual neighborhood veggie cafe with an extensive juices and food menu. Offers main entrees, sandwiches, pizza, smoothies, desserts, all-day breakfast, vegan sweets, and some raw food. Seating is available for both table and counter service. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering
1413 York Ave (75th St, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10021
212-861-8060
OPEN NOW

Mon-Fri 7:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

First Review by plonitalmoni
rach
rach

Cute Cafe but don't go out of your way

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2014

The food was decent, large menu options, cute enough place, we were satisfied but not thrilled. We had two large plates. They also had sandwiches, salads and smoothies. I'd eat there again if I lived within a block or two but won't go out of my way to go here.

Pros: cute small place, lots of options
Cons: ok food but didn't overwhelm me
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Cozy little cafe

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

It's a good spot for lunch. They use a lot of plastic, even when you're eating in, which sucks. (even though they have recycling, there's no need for it) Everything else is really good.

I had the tempeh and mashed sweet potatoes with gravy, and I really liked it.

I'd go here again.

Pros: All veg
Cons: Too much plastic stuff
booya
booya

love the tofu wrap

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2014

Ate there a couple years ago for breakfast and had an amazing tofu scramble wrap. It was so good that I still think about it every time I am back in NYC. Strongly recommend checking it out.

Poundie
Poundie

Simple and nice

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2012

This place has mostly vegan food, not that expensive, and everything is pretty good. I go here mostly for takeout, but sometimes sit at the wooden tables. This is not a fine dining experience, but the food is healthy, tasty, and well-priced--this is not fast food, but if you want a quick bite and are in the area, this place can do the trick.

Pros: Healthy, simple, good value
Cons: not fancy
vegified
vegified

cute place

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

what i've had here, i enjoyed. it's a bit pricey (upper east side!) but the desserts are really good and the place has a good vibe.

cynthia75
cynthia75

Big selection, tiny space

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

The Green Bean Cafe is a neighborhood place first and vegan outpost second. That is a good thing. The high school kids fill it up at lunch time, the neighbors are in and out, there is usually someone parked on the bench outside. I find it much more welcome g than Candle Cafe 4 blocks away. Of course this is more a take out or eat on the go cafe and less of a restaurant than Candle, but it's a bit more heartfelt. There's an extensive juice and smoothies list, organic coffee, quite a few gluten free sweets, raw foods offerings and a hot food and salad bar. Really an amazing selection in a sliver of a store. The staff is also lovely.

Pros: Variety and freshness, Neighborhood joint, Helpful staff
Cons: Limited seating
greenjdmd
greenjdmd

Bland, poor texture.

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2009

Checked restaurant out after reading that muffins were good but found them "gluey," as if undercooked although they looked nice. Also sampled a few cupcakes: very tasteless and too crumbly. Won't be back anytime soon.

Vegan-Globetrotter
Vegan-Globetrotter

Enjoyable

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2009

This was the first HappyCow listing we checked out in New York. My boyfriend and I thought it was a great little place, but the omnivore we were with didn't take to it. Good selection of food, and seemed pretty healthy, quite a few vegan options for me and I was thrilled to see some of the raw desserts. I took away the raw banana cream pie to eat later and it was delicious. Staff were pretty friendly. The food was good but I have to admit from recollection it was a bit more expensive than we were expecting, which was a let down because we were new to town and it was a bit of a trek to find the place as it was nowhere near where we were staying. Our omnivore friend's vegan muffin was also very dry, which didn't help the cause, and I was disappointed that they were out of vegan ice cream. All up though, a fairly decent place and I'd eat there again.

Pros: great food , raw vegan desserts available
Cons: a bit expensive
Vadim
Vadim

AWESOME

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2009

This place is a shoe box, but you shouldn't miss it. The (apparent) owner is very friendly, the entrees are in plastic containers in a refrigerator, but they are very fresh. I got the Not Dog and a salad. The Not Dog is to die for - with soy cheese (no casein), rice, salsa, and the tostada salad was fresh, crisp, well seasoned. They have a diverse menu, a solid drink (smoothie, etc) menu, and fresh hot soup. Totally vegan and a lot of raw. The prices were fair. There's several small tables inside - that's all they can cram into the small space. This place is deceiving in its appearance. I will be going back next time in NY!

plonitalmoni
plonitalmoni

disappointed- not fresh food

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2009

We came on a sunday and were disappointed to find out that the menu items were not freshly prepared, but were prepackaged in a refrigerator. We were told that we could pick one out and it could be reheated by microwave. We elected not to stay.

Pros: vegetarian, location
Cons: not fresh, unfriendly

Dear Owner and Manager of The Green Bean Cafe: